• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
Would rather have new games.

Unless they want to remake Vagrant Story, or Parasite Eve of course.

I would totally settle for remasters though.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Man, a Chrono Trigger remake with a similar budget than FF7R would be so awesome.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
There is 0 chance of any of these happening if you want a VII style remake. Even CT as the shortest would take years. You'd be lucky for even a part 1 that's just the Millennial Fair.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I don't trust a Chrono Trigger remake not to try and add Chrono Cross nonsense so I'm going with FFIX.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we need a Chrono Trigger remake. I'd rather get a port of Chrono Trigger, a remaster of Chrono Cross (maybe a few changes) and then Chrono 3 on the scale of FF7r.

I guess my second choice would be FF8r. 8 is one of my fav FFs, but it would be great to get rid of the draw system (or rework it somehow).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And Square will be laughing all the way to the bank. FFVII is the only FF that deserves such treatment, HOWEVER...

It really doesn't, though. You hit diminishing returns fairly quickly once you finish with the graphical jump from PS1 to PS4/PS5. There's not going to be much REASON for another remake of VII beyond blind greed and creative bankruptcy.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If were talking remakes, Xenogears and Vagrant Story are due the most.

After that? Its not like I haven't thought about a Chrono Trigger remake ...

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
None of them. If I picked one of these, I guess I'd go with Final Fantasy VIII since it's the most flawed of the bunch, not that I think Square would try to remake it in a way that would retain the original gameplay while ironing out its issues.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It really doesn't, though. You hit diminishing returns fairly quickly once you finish with the graphical jump from PS1 to PS4/PS5. There's not going to be much REASON for another remake of VII beyond blind greed and creative bankruptcy.

I don't think they'd do it regardless, but I agree with the spirit of what Kitase said. By the way I mentioned that I'd go straight for Xenogears after FFVII Remake is done. Xenogears for me jumps above all Final Fantasies other than VII in the remake line.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want an 8 remake.

I want a ff8 themed tactics game. It's a literal school of mercs, how I'd this not already a thing?

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I'm not sure if I want a third Chrono game or a full remake of Chrono Trigger? I'm assuming a CT remake would look similar to Dragon Quest 11?

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Of those, Chrono Trigger is the one that would have the best chance of making money, I think. It would get the Trials of Mana treatment though, not a FF7 style remake.

Xenogears is what actually needs it the most, but doing it properly would just lose them a lot of money, and they know that.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Do the FF8 remake, and then you can fix the godawful English translation. CT Doesn't need a remake, that games looks and plays amazing as is. Its the 3D games that look like poop.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
FFVI that looks like the FFVII Remake would be pretty amazing tbh. Imagine suplexing a train with in 4k.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of potential for all three of these to sell gangbusters if done right wow. Square's library of classics is just full of stuff that would make for amazing remakes.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
New game but they make it as massive and multi-part as FF7R and it takes 10 years to complete.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
FF IX. It's already an incredible game and getting fleshed out a little more could turn it into an even bigger masterpiece.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I could so much see a Chrono Trigger remake done with that engine, looks gorgeous.

It's probably more likely for a hypothetical Chrono Trigger remake to be closer to Dragon Quest XI since CT uses Toriyama character and monster designs to begin with. Although the structure of the game should be far closer to the original with the overworld having smaller scale models and the individual dungeons showing full size locations and full detail character models.

While I do like FF7R from the impressions I'd made of the demo. For Chrono Trigger I'd much prefer a much more conventional 1 to 1 Remake much along the lines of Resident Evil 2 instead of a reimagining of the source material.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably more likely for a hypothetical Chrono Trigger remake to be closer to Dragon Quest XI since CT uses Toriyama character and monster designs to begin with. Although the structure of the game should be far closer to the original with the overworld having smaller scale models and the individual dungeons showing full size locations and full detail character models.

While I do like FF7R from the impressions I'd made of the demo. For Chrono Trigger I'd much prefer a much more conventional 1 to 1 Remake much along the lines of Resident Evil 2 instead of a reimagining of the source material.

This makes me want a chronic trigger remake that uses the DQXI engine that allows you to swap from 2D to 3D.

able to play it 3D with beautiful everything or old school with old school systems

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
FF2!

Underrated and so most people haven't played it.
Gameplay adjustments wouldn't bother anyone because that's the thing most people whine about.
Story is actually pretty good.
It has a unique progression mechanic within the series which would adapt well to the action rpg route Square is moving towards.
The word system they used could be adapted into the typical rpg dialogue choice system, or something similar.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how closely you missed the games I'd love to see the most.

FFIX and Chrono Cross.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm not really interested in remakes along the lines of FF7-R. That said, I think Vagrant Story with its rough edges smoothed away (load times, cumbersome menus, poor tutorialization) would feel modern without necessitating a genre shift.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What Square should do is re release the PSP versions of 1,2 and 4

julian

Oct 27, 2017
6. It's aged far worse than Chrono Trigger both visually and gameplay wise. Making random battles adjustable alone would make it a far more enjoyable experience.