• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand done. Three games, 112% total completion, plats and skill points done within 29:38:49.

And it was fun. Kind of. It very much fell off towards the end of Spyro 3, felt like between the different types of levels and new characters shoved in it felt like too much new stuff at once and was just way too gimmicky. Which is weird, as Crash 3 is my favourite in that series because of its variety. That game may have Hot Coco, but right now I'd take the time trial for that over anything related to Skateboarding.

Spyro 1 remains king. Simple, doesn't overstay its welcome (6 hours for me) and has the best OST. Now, let me behind that door in Artisans.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm picking up my copy today, can't wait to play it, I have better memories from Spyro than from Crash and I'm glad I won't have to curse about how hard it is to beat the games. ;)

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Here in Portugal the game is now priced at €19.99 in most stores.

I never played a Spyro game but bought a copy of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any tips for the Bad Dragon trophy? It's the only one left before I have the Spyro 3 platinum, and I can't do it ;_; It's just so awful. Way harder than the final boss .______.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any tips for the Bad Dragon trophy? It's the only one left before I have the Spyro 3 platinum, and I can't do it ;_; It's just so awful. Way harder than the final boss .______.

I don't have any tips for that one. It sucks and took me forever, but I didn't move on in the game until I beat it. Just so it wouldn't be the last thing standing at the end.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i started playing Spyro 1 last weekend and i'm absolutely loving how each dragon is custom and different and so well animated with tons of character! amazing job with them!

the load times though...... hooo weeee they are too long. didn't they bother to optimize it or something?.....

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've finished two worlds so far and Spyro 1 is rougher than I (vaguely) remember. The gliding sections require you to be very precise or you won't make it. The flying sections are also like two difficulty levels above the normal game. I've finished the second flying level with 0.1 second left on the clock and screaming at the tv (and probably waking up the neighbors ;)).

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I've finished two worlds so far and Spyro 1 is rougher than I (vaguely) remember. The gliding sections require you to be very precise or you won't make it. The flying sections are also like two difficulty levels above the normal game. I've finished the second flying level with 0.1 second left on the clock and screaming at the tv (and probably waking up the neighbors ;)).

When gliding, make sure to reach the apex of your jump before beginning the glide.

And the flying levels are usually just a matter of finding the right path. A lot of them are linearly structured. The first one was one of the harder ones to me because it wasn't. Besides that, the biggest issue I've got is just spatial awareness and positioning. Timing that fire breath just right so that it hits your target and all that.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know about hitting the apex. What I meant is that the margin for error looks really small. Start the glide a little bit too early or too late and it won't work. What's worse a lot of the glides are above water so you automatically die if you fail.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not reading a whole thread for this so I apologize if it's been asked countless times before but, do we know if it's coming out on PC at a later date just like Crash?

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to beat Spyro 1 but I'm at the final boss, Gnasty Gnoc and fuck this. Toys for Bob should have put checkpoints in.

I know it's a small amount of time overall but I've spent an hour trying to beat this but one little mess up always details it. Who thought it was good game design to have the player fail once and repeat the first two thieves?

May try it again later but if I don't progress I probably won't bother trying anymore. What an incredible waste of the players time to arbitrarily extend the final fight.

If you're listening Toys for Bob, patch this shit out by adding checkpoints after the two thieves and the first hit on Gnorc.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinums a few weeks ago, a pity all finished once again. Who knows if we will ever see a remaster of another Spyro game or a whole new game

I'd actually like upports of those Legend of Spyro games.

I'm not reading a whole thread for this so I apologize if it's been asked countless times before but, do we know if it's coming out on PC at a later date just like Crash?

Nothing known ATM, but I'm pretty sure it will eventually get a PC version.

I wanted to beat Spyro 1 but I'm at the final boss, Gnasty Gnoc and fuck this. Toys for Bob should have put checkpoints in.

I know it's a small amount of time overall but I've spent an hour trying to beat this but one little mess up always details it. Who thought it was good game design to have the player fail once and repeat the first two thieves?

May try it again later but if I don't progress I probably won't bother trying anymore. What an incredible waste of the players time to arbitrarily extend the final fight.

If you're listening Toys for Bob, patch this shit out by adding checkpoints after the two thieves and the first hit on Gnorc.

I feel your pain. I wasted prolly like 40 lives on that boss. It just sucks.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going for all the secrets in Tree Tops in Spyro 1 reminded me a little bit of The High Road. Almost ran out of lives lol.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Is Gnasty Gnorc really that hard though? Just chase him and then some simple platforming before finishing him off.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lord, I wonder how much you would have raged playing that in 1998.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same amount I imagine. I finally beat it. It was bad design in 98 and is awful today without check points.

There's being difficult in order to teach the player something and to challenge their skills and then there's just actively trolling them and wasting their time.
The only annoying part to me was the initial chase as he's a bit faster than you at the start. Otherwise I cleared it first try. There are more annoying situations in the later games, but at that point your skills should have improved, so they're eventually bearable.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
The last race at harbor speedway has defeated me for weeks. I refuse to move on in the game until I've beaten it.

I just (short of) rage quit afte another 20 attempts.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Spyro 3 it's so unfisnished. I just broke my game save. Don't use 2D Spyro in Seashell shore or the guys in the conches don't give gems and after you kill them it's permanent. Sparks keeps pointing to where they died. I've tried everything and the gems don't spawn. Had to start over.

Oh shit I took the cheat off and quit the game and now it's working! Yes!!!

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Cleaning up achievements now, but all three games 100% (and 120% and 117%).

Good memories.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've just finished Spyro, and I enjoyed it. I don't really have nostalgia for the games themselves, as I only played up to the 2nd hub world, and the Crash Bash demo of YotD.

I think it's aged pretty well, although it's all a bit anticlimactic. Like, there's no big epic finale world, it's just Twilight Harbour, which felt like a mid game level. In terms of levels, Dark Passage was by far the best thing in the entire game. It was a more focused level compared to the rest, but I think that worked in it's favour. I've never been a huge fan of the sort of Mario 64 style 'open world's collectathons, so a world that relies mostly on skill, rather than wandering around for gems, was appreciated. I did appreciate the fact that you could always completely finish a world on your first visit though.

Bosses were awful: Metalhead was the only one that felt like a boss fight, and speaking of which, I had to use a guide twice, once to find the hidden area there, which I did sort of stumble across but didn't realise I could carry in because it made absolutely no sense to try, and once in the Haunted level, because I was trying to follow the logical supercharge path (so going up the curved slope ramp near the pool, rather than doing the hard left across the gap).

All in all I really enjoyed it though, and in terms of remastering it looked and sounded great. I started up Ripto's Rage, which seems more my sort of game, plus he has the hover, which I was missing. I don't like Ripto's voice though.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The trophies in Spyro 3 were so easy. All of them happen naturally without even trying.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Picked this up in the Spyro/Crash Bundle in the Xbox sale today (I have Crash on PS4 too), and this remaster is the better of the two. I love the dragon character designs and it looks so good.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played Spyro back in the day, never actually got into 3d platformers until the PS2. How is the difficulty/ fun factor compared to games like Sly Cooper and Jak 1?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I never played Spyro back in the day, never actually got into 3d platformers until the PS2. How is the difficulty/ fun factor compared to games like Sly Cooper and Jak 1?

I prefer Jak and Sy, but they're still really good fun. I'd say the original is harder than those to fully complete, due to a few tricky optional collectibles.
Like those two games, the sequels change the formula up quite a bit, but bring refined gameplay.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this the last few days and while I did play and finish all three games way back on PS1(still have my discs and mem card saves), I barely recall any of it, so revisiting is like all new to me.

I just platinumed the first game, which was about as basic a game a platformer can be. Still enjoyable to throw on a podcast and just hunt for treasure. Though the perfect pathing needed for the flight levels were a bit frustrating at times.

I am now about 40% into Spyro 2 and I'm actually liking it a lot less despite the obvious upgrades to the asset variety and new abilities. The focus on minigames and timed events kind of irritate even if most are quite easy. I guess there was something pure with the first Spyro about hunting down collectibles that I actually kind of miss here. I suppose some stages are a bit clever with a mix of collection and minigames, but some feel like every few feet task me to take part in some half-baked variety challenge that I feel muddied this entire genre as Rare, Naughty Dog, and others equally crammed into their mascot games that I never really enjoyed.

Still plan to go for the plats in 2 and 3 though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time playing Spyro, and I'm really loving it. I really do like the focus on smaller levels and exploration - just the right size so that it doesn't feel like its just collectathons but instead some really clever platform based puzzles. Speaking of which, there were two particular ones which really stumped me for a while but I really loved - the
Tree Tops and Haunted Towers
levels both had Dragons and gems that required some pretty clever momentum based platforming sections with the speed ramps. Its also nice to see a game with big an bright visuals with some really well animated enemies. Just an absolute joy to play.

Can't wait to give the other two games a try, I imagine I'll really enjoy those loads as well!

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that this is going to get a patch? I bought it with a gift card about a week ago and while I'm really eager to replay one of my most favorite game series from the PS1 era, given how buggy Spyro 3 apparently is, I kinda want to wait and see if they fix some of the problems first. The last thing I want is a 100% completion run getting ruined due to bugs.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that this is going to get a patch? I bought it with a gift card about a week ago and while I'm really eager to replay one of my most favorite game series from the PS1 era, given how buggy Spyro 3 apparently is, I kinda want to wait and see if they fix some of the problems first. The last thing I want is a 100% completion run getting ruined due to bugs.
If Crash is anything to go by, many QoL features will be held back until the inevitable PC/Switch release. It's perfectly playable as it is even with some minor hiccups aside. YotD seemed to be hit hardest with bugs and quirks, but even I have yet to run into any by the second hub world.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally found some time to platinum Spyro 3. It's strange that it was the only platinum that didn't require a 100% completion. I wish I read the trophy list earlier so I wouldn't bother with the mole minigame. I seriously want to whack the person responsible for this atrocity. Also the camera in the boss fights in Spyro 3 was AWFUL, they should make a patch and add the option to rely on standard camera.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I have the Platinums in Spyro 1 and 2 so far. Going to start 3 today because I'm stuck inside due to a snowstorm. With Spyro 2, I was worried because I encountered a bug in a level where it said I still had gems to collect, but they were nowhere to be found. Dying in the level brought me to 100%. Odd bug, but I'm glad it could be resolved.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I never realized just how small the Spyro 1 levels were until playing this version. I got the very easy platinum in it and moved on to Spyro 2 where in 4 hours I'm already 80% done with it. I'm beginning to think all of my memories of these games came from Year of the Dragon.

edit: Also that Gulp fight, the fuck? The only part of the game I died at so far, a really weird difficulty jump.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone on the One X noticed some poor performance? Seems to me like the framerate dips pretty regularly and the audio cuts out.

Just playing through the first one at the moment, not sure if 2 or 3 are different.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was playing the game today before it froze up and crashed. Reloaded the game to find my entire save corrupted. Has anyone else experienced this?

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fully completed 1 and 2. There were a few minor changes here and there that I didn't care for but nothing big. It really makes me want an all new Spyro game though.

I'm working on 3 now, but is it just me or did they kinda ruin the satisfaction of hatching eggs? Everything from the more muted sound effects, to the baby dragon animations being way worse compared to everything else in the trilogy, along with their new designs being downright ugly compared to their original cute, low poly look. It's probably my one big disappointment of the trilogy so far.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Platinumed 1 & 2. On to the 3rd one. I'm still loving these games so much.
I've played the PS1 classics two years ago as well.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Sorry for reigniting this thread, but I picked up Spyro this weekend. I've been loving the game bar a few things:

• no subtitles :(
• motion blur is a bit nauseating
• HOLY CRAP THE FLYING LEVELS ARE BAD

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So I'm almost finished with the reignited trilogy. In the last world of year of the dragon. So sad this is coming to an end. Are there any other fun laid back platformers on either Xbox one or PS4 that are comparable that anyone recommends?

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm almost finished with the reignited trilogy. In the last world of year of the dragon. So sad this is coming to an end. Are there any other fun laid back platformers on either Xbox one or PS4 that are comparable that anyone recommends?
Have you already played A Hat in Time? I played it after revisiting the Spyro trilogy, and actually ended up enjoying it even more than Spyro, surprisingly. It's a fun little platformer with great controls and level gimmicks! Really glad I played it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Off the top of my head, and I'll have to count ports and remakes because there's honestly not a lot of original stuff sadly:

PS4

Crash Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank
Tearaway
Jak and Daxter
Ape Escape 2
Knack
Knack 2

Xbox One

Rare Replay
Recore
Voodoo Vince