• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
switch_spyroreignited1tkd6.png

Thanks mazi for the heads up!

Wanted to make a new thread just in case since folks seemingly were getting confused about its status.

Thoughts?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Makes sense. Crash went from 20GB to 9, so this going from 35 to 6 makes sense assuming they've had time to polish it further, especially since models and textures are much simpler than Crash's

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I would double dip in a heartbeat if this version had proper frame pacing, but preview footage didn't look too promising.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I held off buying this on PS4 cause it's downright pathetic that only the first game was on the disc and the majority was downloadable.

If it's all on the cartridge, I would absolutely pick this up despite the reduction in quality.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... What's their excuse this time for still requiring a download if that's true?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if the digital download is less than 8GB there's no reason it should have a download for the physical version, 8GB carts are very cheap and common, crash used an 8GB cart as well.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
A 6.2GB game that requires download would be mindboggling

Neither CTR or CBNT required any download and they were similar sizes... and would have to be on 8GB cards

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Reminder that every version recquired a download. So the expectation of the Switch version recquiring them came from that.

Months later, they got patches that cut the size in half. So the expectation of the Switch version not recquiring a download came from that.

So... we know nothing yet. :p

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I thought only Spyro 1 being on the disc for PS4 and Xbox One was because the games weren't finished in time? What excuse do they have for the Switch game?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
If you still need to download anything after all the time that passed (You could find some reasons excuses for the PS4 version) then this freaking company or publisher needs to get ignored pretty hard. This is fucking with us just for the sake of fucking with us, that doesn't even makes sense anymore.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I mean the Tweet others have posted in this thread from My Nintendo News. If you follow it, their source is your old thread.

Ah, that one. Maybe My Nintendo News thought the Best Buy bit was new when it wasn't. It was just after E3.

Nintendo do feel the most reliable obviously, but even they're not perfect. The file size is the most telling though.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Well if this is the size of the eshop game, it's the three games in total. Which is great, but also not that great if things are heavily compressed and loadings end up being long as fuck

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If everything does end up on the cartridge, I might be tempted to double dip. I'm not holding my breath though.

Video game file compression is a lost art form. I specifically avoided buying the physical version on PS4 because it required download. Some companies just don't care because they know most consumers are not savvy enough to understand the difference even with big disclaimer text on the box.

It will be truly mind boggling to me that the devs were too rushed/lazy to fit the games on a blu-ray disc but got their act together enough to fit everything on an 8 gig cartridge.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well if this is the size of the eshop game, it's the three games in total. Which is great, but also not that great if things are heavily compressed and loadings end up being long as fuck

I do wonder if they'll use the new high-CPU mode for loading, as Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were patched to do. Crash Team Racing's latest patch added that feature, cut the loading from about 40 seconds to about 25.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All on cart and I'll pick up, otherwise waiting for a cheap eshop sale.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I do wonder if they'll use the new high-CPU mode for loading, as Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were patched to do. Crash Team Racing's latest patch added that feature, cut the loading from about 40 seconds to about 25.
Which is still super long. I mean we should have the option to download less compressed assets, if we want to.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they fixed the loading in n-sane trilogy with the release of the xbo/switch versions. prior to those the load time for each level was pretty ridiculous, but with those releases the ps4 version got patched as well and it got MUCH better. how's the loading in spyro on ps4/xbo now?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
i'm just happy the huge white banners are gone.

there was no download needed in crash.

Thankfully those are only on the "code in a box" sort of games like Fortnite.

Still, it'd be ridiculous if they cheap out and use a 4GB cart when historically both Crash games used 8GB carts for the same price.

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very hopeful that this is indeed the full game, unless Spyro 2 and 3 are part of a 'day-one patch' that isn't included in the eShop file size.

I do just wish we could get someone to say one way or another. This whole dance has been irritating and tiring.