• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
animations are incredibly, haha, not long now before they rip our throats out with those arms

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
all i crave is the gentle touch of a boston dynamics spot with an arm

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I wonder when I can buy one 1/4th the size to help clean up after my kids...

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Soon...

0e02d123d420152075761f569f29c046.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see Spot being useful in parks and nature reserves, assisting park rangers and shit. wonder if it's been trialed there yet?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Great, it knows how to shut off the power to the house and open the front door.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
How long until somebody does a horror movie with a real one of these, no cgi.

Just straight up "Murder Was The Codebase"

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's a real pity that society has a real aversion to preparing for vast swathes of people becoming jobless because of advances like these.

We're going to need to decouple "doing labour" from "being able to live", because pretty soon we're going to "innovate" our way out of most any labour. I'm all for sitting around and creating art or whatever, but if Covid has shown us anything, powerful people don't want any concessions for those who need to work to survive, even in they could all die or lose everything.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I have to give it to Boston Dynamics' social media team.

They're doing a great job easing us into the reality of faceless robots that usher us into further unemployment and economic disparity

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
So it can open the door to get to me, drag my corpse to the backyard, dig the hole to put me in, and then write its victory message in my driveway. Even with all that I still want one.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I have to give it to Boston Dynamics' social media team.

They're doing a great job easing us into the reality of faceless robots that usher us into further unemployment and economic disparity
Hopefully by that time society will have realized that the CEOs greatest lie isn't actually necessary for society and we won't have to ever worry about unemployment bc no one will NEED to work.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The meme of "THEY WILL KILL US ALL" gets stale.

I wonder how much AI is incorporated in these robotics. I can't imagine how difficult it is to program Spot to do all of those different tasks.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I wonder how much AI is incorporated in these robotics. I can't imagine how difficult it is to program Spot to do all of those different tasks.

According to the video description:

Motion of the hand, arm and body are automatically coordinated to simplify manipulation tasks and expand the arm's workspace, making its reach essentially unbounded. The behavior shown here was programmed using a new API for mobile manipulation that supports autonomy and user applications, as well as a tablet that lets users do remote operations.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We're going to need to decouple "doing labour" from "being able to live", because pretty soon we're going to "innovate" our way out of most any labour.

I think this is going to be one of the biggest mental hurdles for civilization moving forward. The instinctive way in which most people immediately equate "employment rate" with "social wellbeing" is going to be very hard to deprogram. Not coincidentally, also the biggest hurdle against adoption of UBI, which is the necessary solution for this problem.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I can open the door, it can then hit you with that cinder block, and it can dig a hole to bury you in.

We're so done lmao.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
So cute! Can't wait for these to be used for evictions and to brutalize protesters!

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Come on Robot/AI future. I want to live in idle bliss sooner rather than later please

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
He'll have many arms soon. In his mouth after he starts to attack us.

Oct 27, 2017
once they start rolling out the ana de armas-bot prototypes, these threads are going to be a lot less focused on tired robo-pocalypse jokes

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
why can't they ease in / out of transition mechanics.

WHY does it have to be that jarring ass clearly evil robotic jerk when its like "Target aquired." Would make all of our impending deaths a little easier on the eyes.

nice, they can dig mass graves on their own as well.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I they''ve had different arm attachments earlier. This is new video released today, so I guess they've decided on which version to go with.
It looks a little more heavy-duty than the one they've showed before.

Honestly, besides all the "we're fucked" memes, it would be pretty damn awesome if they made one that was a bit smaller and more affordable. It could be like a roomba that picks up shit around your house. Or takes out your garbage or something.

Fuck, if they could make one that can shovel a driveway...

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recall there being an arm on earlier models, glad to see it's still part of the package that is spot.