• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
6AzL5Nx7QWSV4DGHnx9cjDBE3Q8=.gif

"That'll do it!"
holy shit just drop the fucking guy
But... money!

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I cancelled Spotify because of joe Rogan as soon as the deal was made and I was called out for it on this very forum circa 2019 I shit you not.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
So their solution is to label not only misinformation but also informative and valid discussions about covid....

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spotify's CEO announces new measures to combat Covid-19 disinformation: Nothing. We're doing nothing to combat it, but hey at least we're labelling the disinformation. Our way of combating harmful bullshit is to label it, because that worked out great for Twitter.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a discovery feature for morons.

Glad I switched to Amazon Music. Better service across the board.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Twitter and Facebook have been doing this for a while now with tweets/posts and it doesn't seem to stop the spread of misinformation at all.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
How nice of them to put a label after 2 fucking years of misinformation being spread by Rogan. That will do it, 100%. Idiots.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
What a bunch of horseshit

Anyway been looking up Tidal and they seem to offer CD quality lossless for just 9.99e a month, nice!

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled. I did say I was neutral in coming back I guess - depends if they deplatform Rogan

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Ek CEO of Spotify said:
Look at how much and seriously we're addressing this situation. Here's half a novel of words about how we care so much and are really good and genuine.

Then to support those words, look at these rules that got us into the current situation. We're going to be pointing at them. Look at them. There they are.

Then instead of listening to the podcast you came here for, look at these links and articles and whatnot produced by someone other than the people you came here to listen to. It's like actively deciding to look at ads. Which is something people love to do all the time. Everyone will choose to do this. And everyone will trust these dry detached views from the deep state corporate government authority forcing propaganda down their throats, over their truth-speaking parasocial cult leader friend bravely telling it like it is and doing his own research and offering alternative views.

And bing bam boom, just like that, misinformation is no longer possible.

Boe Rogin? What $100 tillion?
I am Daniel Ek, signing off! Look at me!
dancing-dance.gif
Yeah this statement is a whole lot of armflailing nothing meant to distract from the fact that they're not actually doing anything meaningful whatsoever. I'm guessing it's meant for people who just want an excuse to let this go and move on with their lives like nothing happened because this is inconveniencing them. No one should let it go, some will, hopefully not enough.

Also saw some headlines about Joe Rogan saying some stuff.
He didn't intend to be controversial.
He's sorry if you're pissed off.
He will try to balance things out in the future.

In other words, he's not sorry for what he has done, doesn't even acknowledge or show that he understands what he did wrong, he's not taking responsibility for his actions, he's going to continue doing them, now apparently under the guise of being fair and balanced and both sides, and continues being an irredeemable asshole who's influencing many others to go down the same path and possibly deeper and worse. The man is a net negative for society and humanity at large. Spotify propping up and protecting this gross man is gross.

I've canceled Spotify Premium and now feel comfortable with the idea of straight up deleting my whole account.
Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and do that.

I've been using Spotify for probably over a decade, it's been some low hum background part of my life for a long time and has accrued some sort of attachment within me, but it still feels weird that I feel anxious about deleting my account, like it's actually some kind of significant change. I am changing an app. Fucking brains, how do they work.

My slightly offtopic Spotify alternative rambling said:
I've only actually tried two alternatives at this point, Tidal and Deezer. I much prefer Deezer. Inarguably has a dumber less fancy name, but let's you play local files, have custom images for playlists, has a more intuitive and usable UI, the search UI is better than Spotify as well, according to the playlist transfer service TunemyMusic it has less missing songs from my Spotify playlists, has searchable user playlists, etc and things.

As someone who's used Spotify for possibly over a decade, I've found Deezer a smoother and better transition.
Enough to where I'm gonna stop looking at further alternatives.

Controlling the PC app from your phone is a feature Spotify had that I'm missing, but I have some hope as Deezer has a beta program called Deezer Labs where exactly this is currently in testing for iOS. It would make sense to me if they would eventually look into bringing it to Android as well.

Only other stumble I've had so far is that the mixes presented were just completely wrong. Either the mix was of artists I've rarely if ever actually engaged with, or when I actually started the mix, it played music from a whole other mix. Hopefully just a temporary/initial.... mixup. Although it's also good in a way that it's highlighting stuff I don't normally listen to, so maybe at least some of that behavior is intentional, I dunno?

And I do expect discoverability to not be quite as good. Spotify is pretty good at that.

Last edited:

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Spotify's CEO announces new measures to combat Covid-19 disinformation: Nothing. We're doing nothing to combat it, but hey at least we're labelling the disinformation. Our way of combating harmful bullshit is to label it, because that worked out great for Twitter.

It's not even as good as Twitter. This is labeling all Covid-19 talk under the same umbrella. So a doctor talking about the latest numbers and the adoption rate of the vaccine get the same sticker as "the vaccine changes your DNA".

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Content advisory label, LOL. "Oh I was going to watch the latest episode of Joe Rogan, but it says it's going to contain COVID talk. I better not."

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't they just get Joe Rogan off of Spotify completely? It's not like any other streaming service would take him.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Doing my part - discontinued my Spotify Premium sub and jumped over to Apple Music. Fuck Spotify til they get rid of Joe.

Not a fan of the Apple Music UI, but the audio quality is surprisingly good! Noticeably better than the highest setting on Spotify Premium.