• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
The Ringer's union came out with a statement about this. It does not seem like they are being kept in the loop, and there are concerns about non-podcast jobs. Warranted, probably.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm honestly curious what happens when you buy a union shop? I assume unless it's a bankruptcy deal that you have to honor the existing contracts? They're not exactly demanding anything but I'm curious how involved union reps have to be on early buy out talks (assuming these leaked and it wasn't a press release of some kind)?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Exclusive podcasts is a weird idea. Seems like creators would feel more secure but it would easily piss off consumers. Much like how exclusive albums were a thing a couple years ago but the labels stopped allowing it because it was pissing off fans and lowering numbers.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly curious what happens when you buy a union shop? I assume unless it's a bankruptcy deal that you have to honor the existing contracts? They're not exactly demanding anything but I'm curious how involved union reps have to be on early buy out talks (assuming these leaked and it wasn't a press release of some kind)?

I wonder what sort of traffic the articles get vs the podcasts too...purely anecdotal but I probably only read like 1 Ringer article for every dozen or so of their podcasts I listen to. Used to read Grantland and the beginning of the Ringer all of the time but the quality has gone down significantly imo.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what sort of traffic the articles get vs the podcasts too...purely anecdotal but I probably only read like 1 Ringer article for every dozen or so of their podcasts I listen to. Used to read Grantland and the beginning of the Ringer all of the time but the quality has gone down significantly imo.

Can't remember where I read it but iirc their written stuff is underperforming while their podcast stuff was killing it beyond belief, which explains why they've pivoted hard in that direction.

Their written stuff has been mostly a bummer for me, coming off of Grantland. There's some good writers there, and you get the occasional good piece, but for the most part their adherence to trying to cover such a wide swath of "sports and pop culture" leads to mostly shallow and toothless content that's indistinguishable from every other sports/culture takes blog out there. Where they really shine and differentiate themselves is podcast personalities and formats.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify bought Gimlet media last year for $230M. So there is precedent but I doubt they have any interest in keeping anything but the podcast(s).

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda shocked that Bill is already willing to cash in on the Ringer after that Grantland debacle. Never thought he would cease control. But at least Spotify somehow compliments The Ringers' strength in podcasting.

Spotify bought Gimlet media last year for $230M. So there is precedent but I doubt they have any interest in keeping anything but the podcast(s).

I doubt everyone stays if they can't write anymore. The podcasts go hand in hand with the written stuff.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't remember where I read it but iirc their written stuff is underperforming while their podcast stuff was killing it beyond belief, which explains why they've pivoted hard in that direction.

Their written stuff has been mostly a bummer for me, coming off of Grantland. There's some good writers there, and you get the occasional good piece, but for the most part their adherence to trying to cover such a wide swath of "sports and pop culture" leads to mostly shallow and toothless content that's indistinguishable from every other sports/culture takes blog out there. Where they really shine and differentiate themselves is podcast personalities and formats.

Yeah, The Ringer was a real disappointment coming from Grantland, which was incredible. Glad their podcasts are doing well, at least.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to following the third generation of writers Bill Simmons collects for his follow-on site.

Maybe the Spotify money can help him buy out Zach Lowe's contract from ESPN.

With a deal this big he will probably have to sign a contract saying he won't make another site for X amount of years

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where the Union is coming from there. Acquisition talks happen and stop happening all of the time. Management isn't going to talk about something that may never happen.

Sure it sucks that the story leaked to the WSJ, but again, what is Simmons supposed to say right now that won't disrupt the day to day?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda shocked that Bill is already willing to cash in on the Ringer after that Grantland debacle. Never thought he would cease control. But at least Spotify somehow compliments The Ringers' strength in podcasting.

I doubt everyone stays if they can't write anymore. The podcasts go hand in hand with the written stuff.

Why would Spotify want the overhead for a website that hasn't been working?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It makes me jealous Bill can release multiple edited versions of his personal record book, but my boy Stu can't even get a first edition out there

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like, the podcasts or the entire site? I thought HBO still owned it.

Still bummed that their written stuff never hit the highs Grantland did.

Oct 27, 2017
I probably listen to their pods more then I read the site but I do like the writing on there, plus they have a ton of crossover between the writing staff and the podcasts so losing one would damage the other IMO. Plus it'd be a real bummer to lose the video content they put out (shouts to NBA desktop)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

They really don't anymore. Ringer is a pod cast network first and foremost now. The podcasts stand on their own, they aren't complementing or supplemented by written pieces. The fact that their founder is a writer who doesn't even supply written content to the site, and who chose to do a sequel to his popular book as a series of podcasts, speaks volumes to the direction of both Simmons' vision and the site as a whole.

Oct 28, 2017

I kinda assumed that was the case since Simmons has basically stopped writing but usually does 3 podcasts per week.

There are still a couple of good writers, I like Claire McNear, Bryan Curtis and Rodger Sherman but there are tons more who consistently have terrible takes.

And I can't believe that they hired Alyssa Bereznak who wrote the horrifically judgmental Gizmodo article nerd shaming Magic the Gathering World Champion Jon Finkel.

Oct 25, 2017
They really don't anymore. Ringer is a pod cast network first and foremost now. The podcasts stand on their own, they aren't complementing or supplemented by written pieces. The fact that their founder is a writer who doesn't even supply written content to the site, and who chose to do a sequel to his popular book as a series of podcasts, speaks volumes to the direction of both Simmons' vision and the site as a whole.
Simmons has always been my dude but it's wild that he just doesn't write anymore. Dude tried to do a big NBA trade value thing like he's done in years past and quit like after 2 pieces.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If they roll out the red carpet and another carpet made of money for Mina Kimes that'd nice.

The Mallory/Bill/Mina playoffs preview a few weeks ago was incredible listening.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously it's bullshit what they're doing to their staff though. Not a good sign.
I mean that's the risk with joining a small business... Bill can sell if he wants. I think he's selling way too early (4 years in) but maybe he knows podcasts can only take the value so high and he wants to cash in immediately.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean; I would imagine that Bill is part of the deal when it comes to this sale. He'll probably stay on and continue doing his pods. It sort of feels like if he had it to do over again, he might have just a podcast series instead of a full blown site.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Binge Mode is the best podcast and I would hate to have it segregated behind Spotify which I do not use. Its quality is good enough, that it would actually get me to try listening to a Podcast on Spotify though, which I suppose is the whole point of an acquisition.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's the risk with joining a small business... Bill can sell if he wants. I think he's selling way too early (4 years in) but maybe he knows podcasts can only take the value so high and he wants to cash in immediately.

Probably, Gimlet got a pretty wild deal from Spotify. So maybe Simmons thinks this is the time to sell.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would Spotify want the overhead for a website that hasn't been working?

The Ringer is profitable. If they just want the podcasts they risk losing some talent that are writers and podcasters. I can't see someone like Kevin O' Connor or Dan Devine just doing podcasts. These dudes want to be NBA reporters, visiting games, media days, doing interviews and telling stories. Or do you think if that Howard Beck or Zach Lowe would to do only podcasts if Bleacher Report/ESPN told them no more writing for you guys.

Bill's just a lazy bastards. He does his podcasts from his guest house. He even gets shit from people like Malcom Gladwell for not writing anymore.

At least the NBA podcast frequently discusses written pieces from the website.

Oct 25, 2017
Bill's just a lazy bastards. He does his podcasts from his guest house. He even gets shit from people like Malcom Gladwell for not writing anymore.

Yeah I mean I wish he would get back to writing but the media landscape is changing, it's unfortunate but the audience that cares for well written pieces is shrinking every day. Hell Gladwell was saying how his audio book is outselling his print book. I don't know if I'd keep writing if I was him.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Simmons' writing was always in such a conversational style that he probably would have done podcasts 25 years ago if that had been an option. He wrote because thats how you broke into sports media at that time.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The Ringer is profitable. If they just want the podcasts they risk losing some talent that are writers and podcasters. I can't see someone like Kevin O' Connor or Dan Devine just doing podcasts. These dudes want to be NBA reporters, visiting games, media days, doing interviews and telling stories. Or do you think if that Howard Beck or Zach Lowe would to do only podcasts if Bleacher Report/ESPN told them no more writing for you guys.

ESPN and BR have a written presence. The podcast is secondary to the other stuff they do for them. Spotify doesn't currently appear to be interested in adding written blogs. Also, Simmons himself last year said they are pivoting to podcasts because they are more profitable. That said, you do bring up a fair point. I am not sure if and how Spotify will address it.

Oct 28, 2017
ESPN and BR have a written presence. The podcast is secondary to the other stuff they do for them. Spotify doesn't currently appear to be interested in adding written blogs. Also, Simmons himself last year said they are pivoting to podcasts because they are more profitable. That said, you do bring up a fair point. I am not sure if and how Spotify will address it.

I'm sure they could sign non-exclusive deals to podcast for their network and write for other outlets.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't think Spotify would kill the site. It still drives traffic to their podcasts in some capacity. You want an online presence beyond just A/V content.

Pod Save America/Crooked Media made a site specifically after they were incredibly successful — they reference the pieces from their online editor Brian Beutler all the time.

The WSJ article I read said that there is already an exclusive Ringer pod on Spotify. I'd imagine there would be some others, but they'd probably leave most of them available everywhere. No reason to cut yourself off at the knees when something is a success. I think it said the podcasts made a profit (or maybe just revenue) of $15m which is pretty impressive either way. It makes me wonder how much Crooked is bringing in.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
The WSJ article I read said that there is already an exclusive Ringer pod on Spotify.

There is- "The Hottest Take". Has a couple of really good episodes, but mostly misses.

I imagine something like Binge Mode- which is more evergreen content- would become a timed exclusive to Spotify. Same for Rewatchables.

Mina Kimes is the best. I wholeheartedly co-sign this, she's wasted something hard at ESPN.

Why would Mina leave ESPN? She gets to do the Le Batard stuff in addition to hosting their version of The Daily and her own weekly football pod. She isn't being wasted at all there.

Like, the podcasts or the entire site? I thought HBO still owned it.

HBO owns 20%, VCs own another chunk, and then management in addition to Bill all have equity (Sean, Chris Ryan, Mal, etc)

Oct 28, 2017
Why would Mina leave ESPN? She gets to do the Le Batard stuff in addition to hosting their version of The Daily and her own weekly football pod. She isn't being wasted at all there.

I would argue that Le Batard is also wasted on ESPN. Both are given some freedom but are leashed when it comes to talking about anything remotely controversial.

See the multiple times Le Batard has been suspended and the controversy last July when he was either shadow suspended or skipped a show to protest ESPN management.

ESPN is a garbage, overbearing organization.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It feels early but also I kinda think perception of the Ringer (especially their podcasts) is at a high. Like you said, value is high he probably can't see it going much higher. Plus, he can still do Podcasts which it seems like he genuinely enjoys while cashing in like hell.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Anyone listen to the Quentin Tarantino Rewatchables?

Dudes a bit weird. He kinda fetishizes black people.
idk. Listen to the "King of New York" one.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone listen to the Quentin Tarantino Rewatchables?

Dudes a bit weird. He kinda fetishizes black people.
idk. Listen to the "King of New York" one.
Lol. That's been known since day one.

Though its pretty crazy though how generic QT's black guy voice sounds. Been doing that same impression for 30 years at this point.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I would argue that Le Batard is also wasted on ESPN. Both are given some freedom but are leashed when it comes to talking about anything remotely controversial.

See the multiple times Le Batard has been suspended and the controversy last July when he was either shadow suspended or skipped a show to protest ESPN management.

ESPN is a garbage, overbearing organization.

Dan has said though that he enjoys the wide audience that ESPN gives him. The Le Batard And Friends Network doesn't exist without the financial backing of ESPN.

Now, is all that money worth the trade-off of being on a leash? Dan and Mina seem to think so.

Not defending ESPN, but them having a Cuban-American man and an Asian-American woman as two of the faces of their network is a GOOD thing.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Another way to put it is that he runs a 2-3 digit million dollar company that's big enough to have its own union. He has to both manage that company and somehow keep an every-other-day podcast going. And then manage two kids. It's a lot.

HBO owns 20%, VCs own another chunk, and then management in addition to Bill all have equity (Sean, Chris Ryan, Mal, etc)

Yep, and this is why they aren't communicating with the staff about selling. It's like an NBA trade; you don't know if it's real until it's negotiated, and you still need to convince the rest of the ownership group that it's a good deal. You certainly don't make like a bad NBA franchise and inform the entire staff that somebody made you an offer for your franchise player.

The news leak smells of somebody trying to manipulate the sell price.

zill pickle

Sep 30, 2018
Binge Mode is the best podcast and I would hate to have it segregated behind Spotify which I do not use. Its quality is good enough, that it would actually get me to try listening to a Podcast on Spotify though, which I suppose is the whole point of an acquisition.

I've had Spotify for years now, but when they bought the Joe Budden podcast I started listening to all of my pods on there. I'm on Android, so all our podcast apps suck and it's just easier having my podcasts and music on one app.

One thing that sucks about pods on Spotify is that I can't search through episodes of a specific podcast (the way Podcast Addict lets you search key terms in the description even).

I agree with everyone saying The Ringer's written content never really lived up to Grantland for me. They still have quality pieces now and then, but it's mostly buried under lists and what seems to be a landscape that demands constant, low-effort content.

Also kinda wack that they cancelled their gaming podcast.

Oct 28, 2017
Dan has said though that he enjoys the wide audience that ESPN gives him. The Le Batard And Friends Network doesn't exist without the financial backing of ESPN.

Now, is all that money worth the trade-off of being on a leash? Dan and Mina seem to think so.

Not defending ESPN, but them having a Cuban-American man and an Asian-American woman as two of the faces of their network is a GOOD thing.

The employee is praising the employer while still under their employ??? What a shocking development!

Bill Simmons himself had virtually the same exact quotes while he was still at ESPN. The leash isn't too tight until one day, it is. And it turns out he was still able to get a pretty wide audience when he left.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's exclusive to a platform, it isn't a podcast.

Spotify can eat an ass if they lock this down.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild. As long as Spotify lets them run it the way that they want to run it and they all get a pay day I'm cool with it. Simmons has made a small Podcast empire. And, y'know, he's cool too. Didn't stop his employees from unionizing and promoted a woman to top editorial position on a sports-focused website this year, which is pretty unusual. Last year when every journalistic outlet was going to war with their editors over unionizing, Simmons didn't comment, his staff unionized, and he recognized the union the next day.

I'm an avid BS podcast listener, NBA Desktop, semi-The NFL Ringer show, and Rewatchables listener.

I'd imagine that Spotify will still let them have the written side but it won't be the focus... The future of the Ringer is probably in audio or video anyway. A lot of people don't really remember that Bill Simmons created 30 for 30 for ESPN and then after leaving ESPN went onto produce the HBO Andre the Giant documentary. His primary focus has been in audio/visual media for a little while now.

ALso hoping they take the same approach with Gimlet and still publish all of the regular programs publicly without subscription. I'd probably consider cancelling my Google Play sub and going to Spotify anyway as long as I can find some way to keep YouTube premium at a discount.

He is a bridge burner, his massive ego will eventually be his downfall.

He's literally become one of the most successful people in sports journalism in an age when sports journalism has been in rapid decline, he makes more money than god and is poised to get a huge buyout here. Also he gets along fine with the guy from ESPN who fired him, they had a great interview earlier this year on the BS podcast, one of the most interesting interviews I've listened to because they go back through all of the bull shit with him at ESPN.

The people who dislike Bill Simmons in sports media are basically all old school loser old-timers.. The losers from Boston sports media who are just all hot take artists with shouty, farty sports irrelevant sports radio programs, the suits at ESPN who didn't like that he defened Jamelle Hill or didn't want him interviewing Obama on his Podcast in 2008, or people with the NFL who didn't like his criticism of Goddell after the Ray Rice incident.

Last edited: