• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Thanks to this thread, not only have I found out I'm an out of touch square, but I've also discovered that I'm white.

This is too much to take all at once.

Shit is crazy lol.

I thought I was just an old dweeb who rarely leaves the house, and I absolutely am.

But nah, because I barely know who Bad Bunny is according to these people

It's really hitting me how white Era is.
People can't really stop themselves about this "I am old" shit right? Maybe you are not old, just culturally reserved to your English music or white friendly stuff. You can't come here and say you are old because of Bad Bunny while at the same enjoying some new indie artist no one cares about. I mean, it's okay and you can listen to whatever you want, but let's be sincere here

Anywaaaay,
I cant believe Ella Perrea Sola released this year damn, it feels like 3 years ago. šŸ˜©
Out of touch white people perfectly encapsulates gamer culture.
All the replies about not knowing who tf Bad Bunny is are not surprising at all, reset is white as fuck lmao.

My thread about his new album that came out last week, El Ultimo Tour De Mundo, got like 3 replies and that shit is fire as fuck and is gonna be everywhere on the charts through spring. He didn't even do his usual style and switched it up, there's only like 3 reggaeton songs on there vs all the rap/ rock influence it has.

I guess this means Spotify is on the cusp of doing rolling out their yearly Wrapped feature for users, I wonder how much of my plays contributed to Bad Bunny, wouldn't be surprised if he's in my top 3. His first album he released this year, YLHQMDLG was so fucking stacked with bangers.

Im just a silly ass yt. Thats news to my black ass.

Hello fellow white people, what is "happening" in our "hood"? I need to be more in touch with our culture.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It's really hitting me how white Era is.

God, the sheer amount of boomer takes ITT is giving me an aneurysm.

See, if you merged these two posts...

On the whole cultural awareness thing; I'm not a young guy or anything, but this stuff really isn't THAT hard to keep up with if you're remotely into music culture. It's not like you have to be a huge fan, just...have heard of some people. But if you're just not into music culture, I get it.

From tech circles, I remember people constantly going on about Snapchat's UI being some fucking incomprehensible enigma that only the youngin's can decipher, and it was kinda silly then too. People definitely love to affiliate themselves with and against things and kvetch while they're at it.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I've only heard of 2 of those Top 10 musicians. I've never even heard of the rest let alone listened to them. A few quick listens and I'm definitely not missing out there, really not my thing. But I'd like to find more new musicians tbh, this makes me want to try Spotify's discovery shit. I usually just ignore it.

My lass hasn't heard of most of these people either and according to Era that makes her white. I'll go break the news to her, she's going to be devastated. No more paella from her, just good ol' chips and mash.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Bad Bunny is dope, shit's wild that Drake is number 2 considering he didn't even drop an album this year.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Dark lane demo tapes (mixtape), and tootsie slide,
laugh now cry later. Two big singles, he always carries numbers

Yeah, Dark Lane Demo Tapes is definitely a mixtape, but that's still pretty crazy considering his album didn't drop this year. Just two massive singles.

Oct 25, 2017
Really tho.

This thread feels like when you get together with your parents and another few people their age and they start throwing out shit like

"music was just better when we were coming up"

"back in my day you needed to have talent to be a musician"

or the ever favourite

"all present-day music is pretty much terrible. Where do I hear it? I don't know, commercials, the radio, that's about it"

I threw on The Slow Rush in my parent's backyard one day this summer and they were all sort of "oh what's this it's pretty good!" and when I'd mentioned it wasn't a late-70s act like they had assumed, but a current-year record by a single dude recording by himself - they seemed suddenly less interested lmao.

If nothing else, I pity people like this - because all they're really doing is closing themselves off to an infinite wealth of really great music for no good reason other than "I like what I like". There's never been a better time for either broadening your horizons with something new, or really getting down to the nitty gritty of what kind of music you like and finding new, super niche artists who create it.

There's nothing more exciting to me than falling in love with with an artist that I hadn't known existed right before that moment. With Spotify, Youtube, etc. - it happens so often and I'm probably a happier person for it.
most people are saying they don't recognize some (or all) of the artists, not actually criticizing the quality of the music (although to be fair there are a couple posts saying new music sucks/won't stand the test of time). also, it's possible to still be open to discovering new music, but not follow the latest trends. lots of people follow niche musical genres that don't chart.

i don't get why this is even a touchy subject
Welcome to the club, new honkey. Despite being a lifelong whitey myself, I learned on the internet that we wear khakis all the time and never put seasoning or sauces on our food.

It'll be an adjustment but as a new member you're assigned a mentor. They'll help you forget how to dance and memorize all the lyrics to Jump Around in no time.
most important is being taught how to do the "raise the roof" motion

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I also did not see it or would have commented, but out of my circle of 5 I was the only one who is loving this one more than YHLQMDLQ, maldita pobreza is šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„
That's my favorite track as well! I was dying when my SO was like "where's Benito on this track" when Cantares De Navidad came on.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Yeah but when you listen To these "songs" you realize you aren't missing anything at all. We have an entire treasure trove of classic music to listen to.

Most embarrassing post in this thread.

A song is still a song regardless of whether you like it. Honestly thought I was on Gaming side for a second reading this dumb shit

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Yeah, Dark Lane Demo Tapes is definitely a mixtape, but that's still pretty crazy considering his album didn't drop this year. Just two massive singles.
I will say though that mixtape had some solid songs, times flies and D4L. Also completely forgot about life's good, Greece, and Popstar

That's my favorite track as well! I was dying when my SO was like "where's Benito on this track" when Cantares De Navidad came on.
HAHA literally me
krabs_rag3do.png

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Shit is crazy lol.

I thought I was just an old dweeb who rarely leaves the house, and I absolutely am.

Hello fellow white people, what is "happening" in our "hood"? I need to be more in touch with our culture.

Its okay if you have never heard of him as I said, but seems like many people are being condescending about it. As if Bad Bunny's music was inferior for not being anglo or something.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Music feels throwaway now.

Not one of these artists will be listened to in 50 years, probabaly well before that.

This is said every year. This was said about your favorite artists. Your take isn't new, nor remotely true. Regarding this discussion on longevity. Your artists aren't special and neither are the artists we're discussing here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
You know you're out of the loop when you thought Bad Bunny was that gangsta wanabe white girl from Maury.

Dec 12, 2017
Shit is crazy lol.

Nah, My point is we did a Census, and it was clear overwhelmingly how overwhelmingly white ResetERA is, this thread just reminded of that fact.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I dont feel old, just feel like I know what I like and most top 40 isnt interesting. Im constantly on Spotify for new electronic, so not too old yet.

I heard BTS a few times and laughed. I heard Billie Ellish and thought hmm is this pop ASMR? I've heard of these people, just not a fan of pop anymore. I assume it was the same when my parents heard Billy Idol or Tiffany in the 80s.

Oct 29, 2017
tbh is you go to any geek-culture-centric site or forum of any nationality or ethnicity you will always find a lot of people who are really against mainstream music.
Plenty an afternoon I spent on Latin American anime boards full of people who absolutely hated reggaetĆ³n.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really tho.

This thread feels like when you get together with your parents and another few people their age and they start throwing out shit like

"music was just better when we were coming up"

"back in my day you needed to have talent to be a musician"

or the ever favourite

"all present-day music is pretty much terrible. Where do I hear it? I don't know, commercials, the radio, that's about it"

I threw on The Slow Rush in my parent's backyard one day this summer and they were all sort of "oh what's this it's pretty good!" and when I'd mentioned it wasn't a late-70s act like they had assumed, but a current-year record by a single dude recording by himself - they seemed suddenly less interested lmao.

If nothing else, I pity people like this - because all they're really doing is closing themselves off to an infinite wealth of really great music for no good reason other than "I like what I like". There's never been a better time for either broadening your horizons with something new, or really getting down to the nitty gritty of what kind of music you like and finding new, super niche artists who create it.

There's nothing more exciting to me than falling in love with with an artist that I hadn't known existed right before that moment. With Spotify, Youtube, etc. - it happens so often and I'm probably a happier person for it.

.....This is a wendys

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit is crazy lol.

I mean "white" probably ain't completely accurate tbf but if you consider yourself remotely interested in popular music and you don't have some familiarity with Bad Bunny's music then you got at the very least a Western/English-centered view on pop music which is a huge blind spot considering this dude is everywhere, like English beer commercials, croc shoes, mainstream rap/pop collabs, late night tv interviews, superbowl performances, etc.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Jai Paul for 2021 charts, right OP?
If only he'd drop an album instead of his leaked debut from 2014 and random singles under pseudonyms that you can only know about if you gave your phone number to an obscure website that only barely might be Jai Paul adjacent.
(all of which I'm thankful for. Desperately want more Jai Paul)

I definitely did my part in trying. I streamed Reelin' In The Years for 48hours straight.

Where is the 100 Gex people? Thought that was big. Drakes still big? I'm reminded now that my yearly wrap up will be fall out boy and parquet court albums
100 gecs has yet to hit their peak. I think they seem big bc the people that like them LOVE them (like me.)

Oct 27, 2017
the production in club music has gotten so much better -- i feel like i listen to more new music now compared to when i was a younger dude

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I mean "white" probably ain't completely accurate tbf but if you consider yourself remotely interested in popular music and you don't have some familiarity with Bad Bunny's music then you got at the very least a Western/English-centered view on pop music which is a huge blind spot considering this dude is everywhere, like English beer commercials, croc shoes, mainstream rap/pop collabs, late night tv interviews, superbowl performances, etc.

Now I will say I do have a Western slant towards pop. However, even with that I know about BTS, Blackpink and some other KPop bands. I also know of a few Nigerian acts like Wizkid and Davido. Also know some Dancehall artists but mainly pre 2010s.

As far as Bad Bunny being everywhere the beer commercial is literally how I found out about him lol, but when watching that I had no idea who he was and didn't know until I looked up the commercial many months later on youtube.

Watch the NFL but ignore the halftime shows.

Stopped watching late night tv years ago

Dont care about rap/pop collabs

Dont care about crocs

So yea

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also encourage people to check out this consequence of sound list of the Top 50 Albums of 2020. It covers a wide range of genres and includes a lot of the albums mentioned on the Spotify charts so it's not just indie music.

Two albums in the top ten that I think people here might like at the Waxahatchee and Phoebe Bridgers albums. I know a lot of people like Run the Jewels too, but I can't get into them even if I respect their work.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now I will say I do have a Western slant towards pop. However, even with that I know about BTS, Blackpink and some other KPop bands. I also know of a few Nigerian acts like Wizkid and Davido. Also know some Dancehall artists but mainly pre 2010s.

As far as Bad Bunny being everywhere the beer commercial is literally how I found out about him lol, but when watching that I had no idea who he was and didn't know until I looked up the commercial many months later on youtube.

Watch the NFL but ignore the halftime shows.

Stopped watching late night tv years ago

Dont care about rap/pop collabs

Dont care about crocs

So yea
Well I listen to those acts too buy they don't have anywhere near the influence that Bad Bunny has had on the charts these past year lol.

I think if you throw a rock in any decent sized metro area in the US you are gonna hit someone who listens to or knows about Bad Bunny before you would hit someone who listens to Kpop or Afro pop haha. Spanish pop is just a lot closer to the mainstream at this point tbh.

So again I would say anyone who hasn't heard of him or given him a chance has a blindspot towards Spanish music considering how big he is, which isn't a bad thing necessarily mind you, people like what they like, but the numbers don't lie.

I just saw an english subtitled Cheetos commericial with him in it as I typed this lmao.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Well I listen to those acts too buy they don't have anywhere near the influence that Bad Bunny has had on the charts these past year lol.

I think if you throw a rock in any decent sized metro area in the US you are gonna hit someone who listens to or knows about Bad Bunny before you would hit someone who listens to Kpop or Afro pop haha. Spanish pop is just a lot closer to the mainstream at this point tbh.

So again I would say anyone who hasn't heard of him or given him a chance has a blindspot towards Spanish music considering how big he is, which isn't a bad thing necessarily mind you, people like what they like, but the numbers don't lie.

I just saw an english subtitled Cheetos commericial with him in it as I typed this lmao.

As long as I'm not being called white for not knowing who Bad Bunny is its all good lol

Neece

Oct 27, 2017

If anything this really illustrates how easy it is to create pop culture bubbles nowadays. A lot of the stuff you mention where his music is featured I completely avoid. I don't watch commercials or late night snows, and even if I did, I wouldn't connect the music I heard to the name of the artist.

Due to how streaming allows one to really curate what they consume, it's harder for the top of the mainstream to penetrate as deeply and evenly as it did in yesteryears.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
You've probably heard Bad Bunny and just haven't realized it. He's everywhere.

As a Puerto Rican, I'd rather it be Bad Bunny representing us than other Latin Trap artists like... Ozuna or Anuel... *shudders*.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this are so funny. People who are out of touch from pop culture LEAP at the opportunity to talk about it as if its something to admire.

Nov 7, 2017
Some of yall really need to listen to stuff that's not Anglo-Western pop.

As long as I'm not being called white for not knowing who Bad Bunny is its all good lol
Yo I do appreciate you name dropping WizKid and Davido. I've been on a good Afrobeat kick lately

You can't tell me these songs are not fire

Bonus one since we are talking about Bad Bunny (and J Balvin)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a good place to post this music video:

Korean artists stay winning.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Slightly surprised OASIS didn't make the top 10 with J Balvin and Bad Bunny being 1 and 3. You figure their combined might would have pushed it in there even with it being a 2019 release.

The Harry Styles album is amazing. Dua Lipa's is really good too.

You know you're out of the loop when you thought Bad Bunny was that gangsta wanabe white girl from Maury.
I believe she is Bahd Bahbie or something like that.

Nov 7, 2017
Slightly surprised OASIS didn't make the top 10 with J Balvin and Bad Bunny being 1 and 3. You figure their combined might would have pushed it in there even with it being a 2019 release.

The Harry Styles album is amazing. Dua Lipa's is really good too.
OASIS was a collab done right. I still fuck with that album to this day

J Balvin collabs are always fuego

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Dua Lipa has a top 5 song and album, and yet isn't a top 10 most listened to artist for the year.

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif