• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Adebayor don't care.

200.gif

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is largely racism, but not exclusively. Unwritten rules in baseball have been around forever and remain dumb.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was about beaning batters who flipped their bats.

In either case it's all just fragile masculinity and needs to die yesterday. You're a professional. Learn to take your losses.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's a stupid "rule" and an even worse idea. I think it's considerably worse for the winning team to just "give up" because they know you don't have a chance at victory, so they just pitty you and play around with you. It's patronizing & degrading. "Hey, we know you suck, so we intentionally held back & goofed around to because we're so good and you're so bad it didn't even matter."

Hit those homers, kid.

OP
OP
CrankyJay

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am probably ignorant since I don't watch baseball, but for some reason I am okay with this grand slam but not okay with Tom Brady throwing 65 yard passes to Randy Moss when they're up 30 points with 3 minutes to go. It just feels way more egregious in the NFL, partially because there's another option (running the ball) that they can rely on.

It's because of the clock.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are professional sports where the players are making tens of millions, not some dad league weekend exercise session. It's not the other team's fault that you suck so much.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Seems patronising and even less sporting to ease off on the other team to give them more of a chance, especially in a pro setting. If a kids team is getting demolished, coach screaming at the losers on their team, kids crying uncontrollably while at the plate, then yeah...tell your players to ease off a bit. In a pro setting, then this sort of stuff is stupid, barring an injury and a player stopping play to allow another to get treatment.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't athletes paid money to perform? That home run and 4 rbis count towards his stats so he could earn a bigger pay day when he a free agent. Why wouldn't i try and pad my stats.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't run up the score on another team in any sport. It's not a rule, it's just showing a virtue of sportsmanship (not sure the non-gender version of that, sportspersonship?)
What are you supposed to do - not win so much? Make another team feel better by letting them come back? Use stupid time-wasting techniques or play bench scrubs? That seems even more insulting.

The reason I like esports so much is you can GG out.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this really should be a situation to cause this discussion. I think he didn't do anything wrong. I have no problem with unwritten rules, I just don't think there is one here. Like I don't think it is ever really implied that you must take on 3-0 up x amount of runs.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's like running up the score in any other sport. At the professional level, it's your job to stop the other team. Or, in this case, don't throw him a hittable ball. It would be different if the other team was out of pitchers and down to someone who doesn't normally pitch, but that's about the only scenario where this makes sense.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
You don't run up the score on another team in any sport. It's not a rule, it's just showing a virtue of sportsmanship (not sure the non-gender version of that, sportspersonship?)

Nah, screw that. You're playing to win & more, to win championships. Break the other teams spirits. Beat the hell out of them. The Avalanche dropped 7 goals on an obviously out-matched Coyotes team yesterday; they ran the score up at will basically. You're not playing to make friends; you're being paid to win. I'm sure the manager would've been super pissed if the other team came back to win with a miracle final inning.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think this is largely racism, but not exclusively. Unwritten rules in baseball have been around forever and remain dumb.
This too. When these unwritten rules regarding bat flipping, swinging on 3-0, etc. come up, 95% of the time it is a Latino player who has committed the "infraction" and white dudes who are pissed about it.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
For non-baseball fans, it's the fact that he swung on a 3-0 pitch that is the issue. If the count had literally been anything different, nobody would have cared. This breaks a couple of unwritten rules, one based on sportsmanship and the other on game tactics. Running up the score has always been the most/least egregious unwritten rule broken because it feels like disrespect but everyone knows the point of the game is to score points so actually most players can wash that one off. Swinging at a 3-0 pitch against a wild pitcher is actually more objectionable to the team that did it. It's more likely that you would walk in a run for doing nothing and get an rbi than it would be to hit a grand slam. So essentially you are pissing off the other team's pitchers (the ones who have the best way to retaliate against you) and not really getting anything other than stats out of the deal.

The player's own manager is pissed because whether or not you like unwritten rules, what Tatis did did not help his team, and there's a possibility he gets plunked next time he comes up to bat, which could possibly take him out of the lineup. That's why his own manager wasn't happy.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
This isn't an amateur game where people are just playing for fun. They're professionals, grown-ass men getting paid for their skill. If they're bad at it and get trounced then they need to play better. That's on them. I find the "sportsmanship" arguments kind of silly.

I get that it's rarely fun to watch one team run up the score on another, but this is literally their job and I'm never going to fault a player for being good at their job. Even when it's my team being trounced (and I'm a Bills fan) I don't see the point in getting mad at the team that's playing the game well.

They're adults, they'll get over it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid "rule" and an even worse idea. I think it's considerably worse for the winning team to just "give up" because they know you don't have a chance at victory, so they just pitty you and play around with you. It's patronizing & degrading. "Hey, we know you suck, so we intentionally held back & goofed around to because we're so good and you're so bad it didn't even matter."

Hit those homers, kid.

Fr. This just seems childish to boo somebody for kicking your shit because y'all been sucking it up. There's going to be a loser regardless. But then again I've taken my L in strides whenever I got stomped in sports in real life.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Baseball's unwritten stupid rules like this need to go away already. The absurd reactions to anything jovial like flipping a bat is why the sport is not growing like the NBA or NFL

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Adebayor don't care.

200.gif

Footballers/Soccer players don't seem to care in general and I absolutely love the game for it.

There is the respect for the opponent, but teams will not hesitate to keep scoring. As a fan of playing the sport, its easy to understand why. It stops becoming about beating your opponent and starts becoming about doing beautiful things with your teammates. Unfortunately for opposing teams, most beautiful things in Football usually end in a goal.

Like Bayern's 8-2 thumping of Barcelona is huge, but when you watch the game you can see that Bayern don't disrespect Barcelona or look to humilate them, they're just on another level and completely in the zone.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he doesn't hit that GS and in the next two innings the Rangers score 8 runs it's "OMG HOW DID THE PADRES CHOKE"

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The player's own manager is pissed because whether or not you like unwritten rules, what Tatis did did not help his team, and there's a possibility he gets plunked next time he comes up to bat, which could possibly take him out of the lineup. That's why his own manager wasn't happy.

Unless he was being purposefully walked, he did nothing wrong.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

I like the Bench tweet more.

Bob Gibson was an ardent supporter of the unwritten rules.

Edit: I agree with you that today it is largely a racial issue fueled by the desire to preserve the games sanctity (whatever the fuck that means) and to prevent people from enjoying themselves (showboating).

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For non-baseball fans, it's the fact that he swung on a 3-0 pitch that is the issue. If the count had literally been anything different, nobody would have cared. This breaks a couple of unwritten rules, one based on sportsmanship and the other on game tactics. Running up the score has always been the most/least egregious unwritten rule broken because it feels like disrespect but everyone knows the point of the game is to score points so actually most players can wash that one off. Swinging at a 3-0 pitch against a wild pitcher is actually more objectionable to the team that did it. It's more likely that you would walk in a run for doing nothing and get an rbi than it would be to hit a grand slam. So essentially you are pissing off the other team's pitchers (the ones who have the best way to retaliate against you) and not really getting anything other than stats out of the deal.
I can understand why the batter's team would be annoyed at their own player swinging at a 3-0 pitch with the bases loaded. I have no idea why the opposing team's pitchers would be mad about it.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know its bullshit, because if he grounds into a double play there, the announcers are calling him an idiot for swinging 3-0, and we're not having this conversation today. His own manager would probably get on him for it, but that's about it.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I can understand his own managaer getting upset for not doing the "smart" play and going for a walk, but why is the other team mad lol. Feelings hurt I suppose.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I'm not sure on Tatis' contract, but most players have milestones in their contracts. So if they hit X homers, they receive a payday. Or if they drive in Y runs, or they pitch Z innings, etc.

Thats actually not allowed in baseball contracts. They can offer performance bonuses based on playing time (number of games played/innings pitched) but not on actual achievement (homeruns hit, strikeouts, wins, ect...)

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Baseball's unwritten rules are mostly bullshit. Tatis should never have apologized.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a way for players to govern the game. The unwritten rules were more important when players were allowed to self police. If you swung at 3-0 pitch with a comfortable lead then the next batter got hit. There aren't even that many of them.
Ah yes, using violence to protect fragile egos. That's the true meaning of sportsmanship.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Not all forms of "running up the score" are equal, across sports and even within sports.

There is no clock in baseball. Batters have to come to the plate. Now, if he was trying to steal a base or bunt to get on base, then I could see this criticism.

But the man simply hit a meatball that was foolishly thrown at him. Is he supposed to strike out on purpose just because his team is ahead at that point? If so, at what point should you simply stop trying in a baseball game - 5 runs? 6 runs? 7? Teams have come back from those deficits before.

Miss me with the idiotic "run up the score" takes

This. Basketball, football, etc... all have a clock, so running up the score is petty. Baseball has no timer, so in theory, the Rangers could just never strike or catch out and score 50 runs if they wanted to.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
That is stupid, i hate in Football(soccer) when a team is winning by 3 or more goals and they decide that's enough, then you get boring football for the rest of the game, fuck that. Everyone should play the german way.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Not all forms of "running up the score" are equal, across sports and even within sports.

There is no clock in baseball. Batters have to come to the plate. Now, if he was trying to steal a base or bunt to get on base, then I could see this criticism.

But the man simply hit a meatball that was foolishly thrown at him. Is he supposed to strike out on purpose just because his team is ahead at that point? If so, at what point should you simply stop trying in a baseball game - 5 runs? 6 runs? 7? Teams have come back from those deficits before.

Miss me with the idiotic "run up the score" takes
They might as well just bring in a mercy rule if you're not supposed to score any more runs.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you should take the pitcher out that let bases get loaded, and almost walked a run in, while down by 7?