• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
*looks at all the exclusive games Microsoft revealed this summer which Era assured me were all moneyhatted timed exclusives*

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't understand why Sony didn't allocate at least PS4 devkits. They're owned by SEGA, and Football Manager is a pretty big franchise that Sony has even partnered with in the past for the PS Vita version.

What are they doing over there?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is why Yakuza 7 isn't on PS5 because Sega can't get Sony to give them Devkits.
But it will be on PS5... they just haven't announced the date yet. Heck, Nagoshi was already talking about PS5 development months ago and how he looks forward to improving AI in future games among other things.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I like how they tried to be tactful, but people being petulant about not accepting the basic explanation made them spell out that Sony had been crummy in terms of the dev being too low-priority to provide the tools at all.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox are making a push to sort of synergise their Xbox and PC market and so it makes perfect sense they want to get as many PC-centric games on to their console as possible. PlayStation just don't really care about PC or that market and are only now really dipping their toe in (and even then reluctantly). It makes sense they'd put their focus and limited resources into other genres.

Given the fuss some people are making though I'm sure we'll see some dev kits make their way down there sooner than later.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
But doesn't this apply to virtually every game planned for release on a PlayStation platform?

No, I don't think so. There are games running on middleware that can graft on a PS build to their pipeline much sooner than that, if not immediately.

I imagine one of the first questions Sony asks is what release window you're targeting. If you approach in a launch year for a new console and are releasing products on other platforms but say to Sony that it'll take 'years' to integrate PS builds, it's probably not putting you on a fast track to priority support.

Should Sony send kits anyway? Sure, if they have the supply and support capacity. But if those are limited and prioritisation has to happen, a non launch year might see a more engaged response.

Now if SI has been asking for a longer period of time, with solid release plans, and hasn't gotten anywhere, that's a different matter. That would be less explicable.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Do you like management games? if yes FM is one of the best
I don't care about football but i still put 100s of hours on FM.

There are 5 things that I like about FM
  • The "world" feels very alive. With teams that are on top changing as their roster changes. THe players/managers move around in a very "real" like manner
  • The gameplay has a nice balance of your influence VS RNG. Usually speaking you will wins the games when you are better and lose the games when you are worse. The key is to be able to draw the win when the teams are similar. Understanding the mechancis makes this super fun.
  • It has a lot of stats -> this efectively means that there isn't ever a perfect player. Yes you can have some forward that has perfect finishing and metal atributes but maybe someone that has perfect ehading and really good strenhght much better if your midfield can't use the other forward.
  • The way the game generates new players is very satisfying. It is incredebly fun to pick someone that has good potential but low ability and train them to be a superstar! except if he his a mercenary and abandons your club the moment some one rich looks at him, ungrateful bastard.
  • Most features can be delegated to staff. While the AI isn't very good it allows you to micro manage to has mucha s you want. From setting every session of training to just dictating what players field your assistant made tactic.
There are 3 things that i don't like
  • Tutorial sucks so chances are that the first campaign you are going to lose a lot because you are still trying to understand the mechanics
  • The reputation of the league/clubs changes far too slowly when compared to real life. For example in game winning your league trophy 3--6 times in 10 seasons as someone mid table probably won't change your reputation enough to be considered the best club in your league.
  • Interviews/media conferences are very repetitive unless something very particular happened. IMO the lack of influence of the media on the game is the weakest aspect of teh game.
Wow, thanks for the breakdown. Yea, I have to say, the lack of good tutorials in these types of things always puts me off a little bit, but I can see why people put so much time into these games. Have any sports games ever gotten media influence and interviews, right? Maybe that's the next new frontier in WRPG writing lol.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yeah too bad they couldn't get a devkit yet.

But lets be honest, why would anyone with a somewhat capable PC buy this on Xbox? I mean wow i can't imagine something to translate any worse to the console than having to use a controller to navigate a Football Manager game. I know it's the touch version but still, you have to use your controller.

I read that the game is Play Anywhere, so that will motivate me to buy the game after 6 years

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Sony didn't allocate at least PS4 devkits. They're owned by SEGA, and Football Manager is a pretty big franchise that Sony has even partnered with in the past for the PS Vita version.

What's even more strange is that Sony Europe were incredibly active about getting Football Manager on Vita - IIRC Sony came to them directly about it, gave loads of help with the port and then even did a console bundle.

Although that was 7 years ago now, so maybe it's all changed and not down to Sony Europe thesedays.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
If the games really do sell 2M/year, weird choice not to send a dev kit. I wonder who at sony f'd up.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a strange answer. Most Playstation strongholds are also really into football, it would be such a no-brainer to port FM to it, no matter what Sony says.
Also...why is it on Switch then?
it also makes no sense for them to ignore them either when the PSP got football manager from launch up til a year after the Vita but then again maybe Sony was funny with them after they kinda dropped the ball on the Vita dropped out of their interest because only 1 game was released on Vita and i assume they just took the devkits back

Raigor

May 14, 2020

A game released for PS4 after July has to be BC on PS5, if they don't have PS5 dev kits how would they know if FM21 is running on PS5 without issues?

Having PS4 dev kits is not enough.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That's a bummer they didn't get a dev kit. This is one of those series I'm wishing would find new audiences.
C'mon man. It was just a joke. I imagine perfectly the work needed for adapt a game like this on console. And for the fanboy, I actually pre-ordered the two console, and pretty excited for the xbox proposition.
Did you really preorder two consoles? You didn't mention it in the "What's your PS5/XBox Series S|X launch haul?" thread this thursday.
Does this confirm you can use a mouse on the new Xbox?
It's the touch version, not the PC version.

Last edited:

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if you can use the x as a dev kit just like you could with the Xbox one.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Surely there are hundreds of devs making PS4 games right now that haven't started using the PS5 devkits yet?

Pretty sure all the major devs that released/releasing a game right now have a dev kit.

Indie devs probably don't have them but at the same time, Bugsnax, Kena and Stray devs have the dev kits and they are releasing their games on PS4/PS5.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Crumbs, I haven't played Football Manager since the ZX Spectrum version in the 80s, which IIRC was almost entirely written in BASIC.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
That's a bummer they didn't get a dev kit. This is one of those series I'm wishing would find new audiences.

Did you really preorder two consoles? You didn't mention it in the "What's your PS5/XBox Series S|X launch haul?" thread this thursday.

It's the touch version, not the PC version.
Yes, the other day I have only pre-ordered the PS5, but in the meantime I had the possibility to grab a one x on the release day with all access

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense at SI's end. Can't make what you don't have a dev kit for.

Seems a bit of an unforced error on Sony's part. Even if it's only a year, allowing Xbox (particularly with the cross-save between Xbox and the Windows store PC version, and probably Game Pass down the line) to potentially lock in folk may bite them. Obviously not gonna cost them the "war" or anything like that, but seems easily avoidable on their part.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Aight, congrats! Have fun next gen, you're in prime position with your hardware.
Thanks ! This is my first launch with buying day one. I was playing on PC, but grab a ps4 pro in the late, I'm very excited to grab my hardware day one on the store :) and I have a entire gen to play since I don't have the one.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version is FM Touch. It's not the full desktop version.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Xbox has been asking is because they want content for game pass, and the PC version is an obvious and pretty big get as part of the deal.

I'm not convinced Sony is interested in 'asking' for smaller titles (I know FM is big, but it's not big on consoles).
I think that also the Xbox version has the touch one as a base

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Different Football Manager series.

Current FM is the old Championship Manager series.
Oh that makes sense. Bloke didn't look like Kevin Toms at all.

312896-football-manager-zx-spectrum-front-cover.jpg

Have the graphics improved?

Oct 28, 2017
Weird that Sony wouldn't give them PS4 or PS5 dev kits if they asked for them.

Seems like there is more to this or it's just a big oversight by Sony.
Obviously I don't know all the details but from the outside it really feels like consolidating everything Playstation to California was a mistake. Having Europe and Japan as counterbalances would provide a more global perspective. Right now it's just one group making all the decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
Right. Like, would I have to know about these teams having some rivalry and all the specific stats of every player so that I can make good trades and some arcane knowledge about the leagues and promoting or whatever. All of that has always seemed like such a black box of knowledge.

Ok, well, sounds like it's not for me. Do they at least make an attempt to tutorialize people who aren't familiar with all these details?

No you don't need to know any of that stuff. The game will show you how good players are (with some under the hood hidden stats about their intangibles that good scouting can guess at), the rules for each league with regards to promotion and who is eligible and all the rest of it so you don't need to have any knowledge of the sport.

It's like a paradox game in the sense that it's intimidating for a newcomer because of how in depth you can go but you don't need to come to the game with an in depth knowledge of medieval history.

The game also lets you hand off a lot of responsibility to other staff members so if you don't want to micro manage training, or signing new players and negotiating contracts then you can let your assistant deal with all of that stuff.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
The mental gymnastics some are going through to understand what is so simple is wild. If Sony doesn't give the dev kit then they don't get the game. It's that simple but I guess that's hard for some to grasp. Not surprising but it's so old and exhausting.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Who would've thought you'd actually see more petty posts in response to this, in this thread, rather than on Twitter..