• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I thought about posting this in the OT, but I believe this warrants its own thread both to warn potential consumers about the game, and to have a discussion about glitches and the things we can do to avoid them.

I made it through about 75% of the game when I had a sudden crash. Upon rebooting the game, my save file data was corrupted and unplayable. Chalking it up to one-time occurrence, I restarted the game from the beginning. 60% in, the game crashed, and once again, my save file data was corrupted and unplayable.

The game certainly feels glitchy. There's weird collision, texture pop-in, and animations failing to play out, but I chalked those up to the inevitabilities of a PS2 era remake.

What is not excusable is the fact that I'm not even able to beat this game. I can't get past the later levels without my game crashing and the save file corrupting.

Straight up, don't buy this game. Don't buy it until THQ Nordic patches it and makes it actually playable and completable. Spend your money on platformers that you can actually complete like Mario Odyssey, Ratchet and Clank, A Hat in Time, or even Yooka-Laylee. All of which are actually playable.

What's insane is when I tried to send THQ Nordic support an email, it won't let me saying CAPTCHA validation had an error. On two devices.

I'm playing on PS4, but from what I've heard the Switch version is even worse. This is a children's game. They shouldn't have to be worried about their save file being corrupted.

There's no excuse for the state this game is in. Also, if anyone has a direct email to THQ Nordic support, please let me know.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that sucks, very disappointing. i hope they get around to fixing it but for a platformer and a remaster of an old game, it should be fully polished and playable day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. That's really bad. I'm playing on the PC and it's been fine and quite fun, too, but the console side seems like a trainwreck.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. This game is #2 on the NA eShop right now.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks to hear. Feels like THQ Nordic is becoming well known for these terrible earlier-gen ports. I only had the misfortune of playing their Darksiders II port on Xbox One and it was a mess in terms of visuals, framerate and IIRC it still has an unobtainable achievement.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, me and a couple of friends were able to get the platinum on base ps4 without a single issue and the game looked and ran very well for us.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty solid on PC right now but I'm also still early in on it.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Played on PS4 Pro and didn't really have any issues other than the water flickering at Goo Lagoon when it was rising.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played personally, but I did watch a streamer doing some speed running and every once in a while the game would crash and it wouldn't detect collisions properly. Seemed to be annoying him.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Played it on Xbox One X. Didn't have a ton of fun with some of the 2003-era design decisions, and the new multiplayer mode is garbage, but the game ran fine.

OP
OP
Noog

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Well, me and a couple of friends were able to get the platinum on base ps4 without a single issue and the game looked and ran very well for us.
I'm super jealous. I was going for the platinum, so both of my runs were super thorough. A lot of wasted time if they don't fix the corrupted data

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Played it for review on PS4 Pro without any patches and I didn't have this happen to me.

Btw check your cloud saves (if you have PS+). It might not have uploaded the corrupted one yet so you can download your older save.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
The original has a surprisingly large community for speedruns so they have been pretty active on Rehydrated. The current world record for Rehydrated is just over 2 minutes long.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The amount of speedrunning glitches for this game is staggering.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how Nickelodeon feels about the low reviews and glitches? I mean, I know it'd not a super incredible AAA game, but some reviews were really surprisingly low.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I'm super jealous. I was going for the platinum, so both of my runs were super thorough. A lot of wasted time if they don't fix the corrupted data

They said they were working on on a second patch, so maybe it's better to wait for that. The game is really good and it's a shame that something like this happened to you

OP
OP
Noog

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
They said they were working on on a second patch, so maybe it's better to wait for that. The game is really good and it's a shame that something like this happened to you
I definitely enjoyed what I played. Enough to play through the early levels twice. Not doing that a third time though

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally didn't encounter issues. Game is not a masterpiece but it's definitely polished and enjoyable.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just got a patch on PC, so I guess they're working on it, though obviously it's a lot easier to patch on PC.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I knew something was fishy when they barely showed any new footage until two months prior to the release.
God of War did the same thing though...

I have heard very little in terms of bugs and glitches, OP's experience is absolutely unlucky and out of the ordinary. The Low reviews is reviewers complaining about a prettied up 2003 kids game.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
The game is death from a thousand cuts. Missing animations, I've heard you can't fight bosses again, physics are wonky, etc. It really is not impressing me much.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
It just got a patch on PC, so I guess they're working on it, though obviously it's a lot easier to patch on PC.

Apparently this update was some back end stuff for helping with crashes and issues (crash reporting system within UE4). But THQ Nordic also confirmed that the devs already started working on the next patch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've played about three hours on the PS4 Pro and haven't ran into any issues but I've seen countless complaints come up, mostly from Switch players, about bugs.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I played the Xbox version pre patch for work and barring the agonizingly long load times had no problems. Idk. May be a PS4/Switch problem.

Still, the heads up is important, just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously considering picking the game up since I'm a hardcore platformer fan and I never did play this game back in 2003. I didn't even know it had a cult status to be honest. Just figured it was typical licensed trash.

These reports of bugs and glitches are concerning, though.

Jan 6, 2019
I wrote in the OT about my own issues (Switch version), namely Spongebob freezing and becoming uncontrollable after picking up a golden spatula, the game spawning me under the floor after death, a spatula failing to spawn after a challenge is completed making it unwinnable, and Spongebob tiptoeing when you try to run. Game is a mess on Switch.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
God of War did the same thing though...

I have heard very little in terms of bugs and glitches, OP's experience is absolutely unlucky and out of the ordinary. The Low reviews is reviewers complaining about a prettied up 2003 kids game.
Is there really a point in comparing the two when this game obviously didn't get the time and money? It's literal apples and oranges.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
I'm playing on Xbox One X and the game is pretty solid so far. No glitches or anything.

Level design is a little weird sometimes but I'm having a lot of fun.

Sad to hear it's so broken in other platforms :/

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Shit like this is why games based on licenses died out hard last gen. Just lack of funding, time and care in combination with oversaturation.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Took a risk with this as my second counter pick in my gaming fantasy league and happy it didn't backfire

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
On the plus side, speed runners have found a glitch that allows the game to be beat in less than 3 minutes!

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
That's really unfortunate... The developers, Purple Lamb Studio, are a relative small team of around 40 people, in Vienna. They sell themselves as "veterans" in the industry, but they are starting up; only three games shipped so far (including Re-hydrated). Hope they can over come this and learn more as they go. 😔

OP
OP
Noog

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Shit like this is why games based on licenses died out hard last gen. Just lack of funding, time and care in combination with oversaturation.
It's too bad too because I think the core game that's here is at least a 7. Some of the levels like Rock Bottom and Kelp Forest aren't particularly fun to explore, but levels like Goo Lagoon, the Flying Dutchman one, and Jellyfish Fields (which is beautiful and clearly got the most attention during development) are really interesting and fun.

I had a few minor issues. Golden spatulas not spawning when they're supposed to. But at least a restart would fix that. My corrupted save files just makes me so sad because I feel like I wasted 15 hours on my 2 incomplete and now corrupted playthroughs.

Apparently the game only had 10 months of development, and it shows frankly. I thought the low review scores were ridiculous, but In the state the game is in now, it deserves a low score

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
There's no excuse for the state this game is in. Also, if anyone has a direct email to THQ Nordic support, please let me know.

My understanding is that the pandemic severely impacted their development and they weren't given additional time in the schedule. Sure, it's an excuse, but considering the conditions I'm impressed it's as good as it is.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to other platforms but I bought the Switch version and it would have been an instant refund if I didn't have a high tolerance for crappy ports. The game itself still holds up all these years later and the remastering can look great at times, but there are so many graphical glitches and framerate issues that it's obvious the devs didn't have quite enough time to get it where it needed to be. Hopefully it gets some serious updates in the future to bring it to an acceptable level.

Kibou

Nov 4, 2017
I finished the Switch version earlier. It definitely needed more time in development: graphics look bad, loading times are slow and frame rate dips every now and then but I never ran into glitches or anything like that... It's playable, in my experience.