• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I had a meeting with someone today that talked about how palm oil is bad and how their product wont have palm oil in it and how good it is for the environment. I've never had any interest in palm oil, never searched it, never spoke about it and didn't even know it was an issue until today.

i come home and talk to my wife about it in ear shot of a google home, thinking nothing of it. A few minutes ago I five up YouTube and what do I see? This:

Get the fuck out of here. This shit isn't a coincidence. The mic's on my google home is now turned off. Fuck off google.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
fb0.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Option a.) your phone listened in and gave th youtube rec after hearing your conversation

Option b.) You and your wife's phones know that you had a conversation together due to GPS tracking placing you next to each other, after your conversation your wife searched palm oil for further info. Because you talked, google gave you recommendations about palm oil also

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
So I had a meeting with someone today that talked about how palm oil is bad and how their product wont have palm oil in it and how good it is for the environment. I've never had any interest in palm oil, never searched it, never spoke about it and didn't even know it was an issue until today.

i come home and talk to my wife about it in ear shot of a google home, thinking nothing of it. A few minutes ago I five up YouTube and what do I see? This:

Get the fuck out of here. This shit isn't a coincidence. The mic's on my google home is now turned off. Fuck off google.

You bought the thing and installed it in your home full well knowing what Google is. This is on you, dude.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Why do people still pretend phones aren't listening? Like it's that far fetched. It's not paranormal it's greed.

Oct 27, 2017
You literally said you were in a meeting with someone about it. I wonder what they were doing?

Why do people still pretend phones aren't listening? Like it's that far fetched. It's not paranormal it's greed.
Nobody is pretending. There's zero proof of it. Millions of people have these kind of devices and not a single person has been able to show that this kind of data is being harvested and sent to Google.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If you've bought an electronic device in the US in the last 20 years, it's listening. Big Brother is always listening.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you were at a meeting with someone talking about palm oil and you somehow know for certain you weren't around anyone all day that put "palm oil" into a search engine?

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is on me I know, it just bothers the fuck out of me knowing that this fucking thing is snooping on everything we're saying.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The same shit happened to me today, I spoke to my girlfriend about getting a job at UPS the other day, and today I got recommended a few UPS related videos on YouTube.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I believe it. I've never been more freaked out when Google ads started recommending me a local festival...across the country. Never knew it existed. My sister called me asking if I wanted to go to it with her. That night, I see ads everywhere for it.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My friend loves snowboarding because of it i randomly get ads for snowboarding gear.

It doesn't really bother me, because i don't really care one way.
they're equally as annoying whether they are targetted ads or random ads.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the truly sinister thing. These companies would prefer that you think they are listening because that gets them off the hook. You turn off your Google home, or whatever else and you think suddenly they won't be able to figure this stuff out. Then they can continue doing all of the other stuff that gets them the same information. They got you hook line a sinker.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
IDK if they go that far or if they just figured your whole personality out from past behaviour on the internet, which idk if it's worse or not

anyway..i'm already paranoid enough, i'd be crazy to bring a mic to my home. I turn off permission to use microphone on my phone for almost everything

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Could be the mic, but the web marketing machine is so complex and intrusive these days it could be any number of things. Could be your phone's mic. You said it was a meeting; could be because of something written in a calendar invite. Could be because the person talking about palm oil in the meeting was frantically Googling palm oil facts prior to meeting and something about both of your online presences overlapped, like an aforementioned calendar invite or email communications.

It's not just mics, it's anything and everything you do online, even down to the people you interact with. They're always listening, be it literally or figuratively through your online actions.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it. I've never been more freaked out when Google ads started recommending me a local festival...across the country. Never knew it existed. My sister called me asking if I wanted to go to it with her. That night, I see ads everywhere for it.
It's because your sister was Googling it. All these anecdotes involve talking to someone close to you, but it's not the talking, it's most likely the person and their actions. These companies have your life all mapped out.