• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If that rumor is true (and I doubt it is),

it'll be very interesting to see what happens with the television show in a few years. I wonder if the stuff going on with CRM (movies and all) is them planning for when they run out of material to adapt from the comics.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I kind of wished he didn't fix things and left it open to readers' interpretation. Kind of like Red Dead Redemption's circle of violence that continues after John's death. Then again, I get giving characters a hopeful note but eh that's kind of lame.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
God, what an awful ending.

And how is the World in any way better than it was? lul

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't disagree more with the poster above. I can't think of a more perfect send-off for the series. A beautiful issue that gives you all of the closure you're looking for, with great insight via a letter to the readers from Kirkman after the last page. Very happy with the ending (if it had to end.) I'm glad in the end that he got to close it out on his terms and that it didn't overstay its welcome (like the show is beginning to.)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Kirkman says all that, yet was setting up plot threads literally 2 issues ago.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Couldn't disagree more with the poster above. I can't think of a more perfect send-off for the series. A beautiful issue that gives you all of the closure you're looking for, with great insight via a letter to the readers from Kirkman after the last page. Very happy with the ending (if it had to end.) I'm glad in the end that he got to close it out on his terms and that it didn't overstay its welcome (like the show is beginning to.)

Agreed with this.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Really, really conflicted. Been reading the book since the mid-thirties (around Night of the Hunters) I understand that, ultimately, another group, another threat was just treading old ground, but I enjoyed the comic most when it was slower and more considered... the quieter stuff, diplomacy, character growth, compromise... that kind of stuff. This issue felt like an episode of the show. breathless pace, check-list style plot points, as well as the sensationalised "out of nowhere" ending. I don't think it fits, it feels off. I feel like each of those mini character wrap-ups could have been independent issues, the comic was always allowed to breathe (a luxury the show doesn't get to have) it was always it's greatest strength, it's heart,, and that was stripped from it for this final issue.

On the other hand, I don't what him to keep writing it if he wants to do something else. If he feels like the story is done, then it's done. I just really feel like after all the surprises all the u-turns and blind-siding, every reader would have forgiven the certain amount of "telegraphing" required to have the story coalesce at a more natural pace. Having threads dangling on month only to jump forward and have them all tied up neatly in rows has really left me cold.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
OK. I don't have an issue with Ricks death now.

Will 193 be included in the 4th compedium?

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
He went with a rushed happy ending? What a coward.

I didn't see it that way. It came off like an epilogue to Rick's death and the long-term effects he had on the part of the world he touched. It was like a much better Deathly Hallows epilogue.

Kirkman always said the comic would die with Rick. Didn't think he'd actually do it the way he was writing about the future of the comic even just an issue ago in the letters section.

Really loved the ending.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Sold it on the day it came out? Damn you need a new store.

Im just going to assume someone came in and offered them above retail, and they sold it without thinking twice. Sucks. I was just in there yesterday and the guy said he would hold it for a few days no problem. He tried to make an excuse that the demand was too high to hold any.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously they are not them, but goddamn, Lydia and Carl look so much like their parents (albeit with hair for Lydia) that it's almost weird to see them interacting as grown ups.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Im just going to assume someone came in and offered them above retail, and they sold it without thinking twice. Sucks. I was just in there yesterday and the guy said he would hold it for a few days no problem. He tried to make an excuse that the demand was too high to hold any.
Nah, fuck that store
Obviously they are not them, but goddamn, Lydia and Carl look so much like their parents (albeit with hair for Lydia) that it's almost weird to see them interacting as grown ups.
Yeah, I loved how much Carl looked like Rick

mm04

Oct 27, 2017

I'd put them on blast on Yelp. That typically gets their attention to make good.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I have to give Robert Kirkman props for ending it here - he could have easily kept it going another 16 years and made a ton more $$$. I don't think it would have been compelling though, if this ending (which I really liked) is what he'd be working towards. Dude does not know how to write regular interpersonal drama very well, and that's basically all the comic would be moving forward. In a universe where zombies are more grounded (no animals, no runners/climbers/spitters/jumpers/evolved forms) and no longer a threat, and finding a cure and/or ending the zombie scourge isn't on the table, the remaining dangers are basically - big herds, more dangerous and cruel groups of outsiders, and other large communities that they have to contend with. The former two have already been done to death and the latter would have only been interesting maybe one more time.

I guess the story could have gone west for a time and followed Carl, Sophia, Lydia, Eugene, Stephanie, and maybe a few others as they work on the railroad and meet the Western Alliance, but it just would have been a slight variation on all the beats we've seen before.

This was as good a place as any to wrap things up.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ the ending was perfect.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He went with a rushed happy ending? What a coward.

What an insanely stupid statement.

The ending was perfect. It wasn't rushed at all. If anything it's bittersweet seeing Carl struggling with the new world, missing his father and the conflict in this issue. It's far from "happy". The issue before this has Carl shooting his own father and then breaking down.

At the end of the issue they even include the fake covers for the next issues that were announced to throw everyone off.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It doesn't just suck. It completely defeats the purpose of pull lists from the customers' end.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fuck that store. I'd make a scene and tell them to suck it and that I'm taking my business elsewhere, comic readers don't actually need their LCS as much as they need loyal customers. If they simply give away your copy then what's the point?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be in the minority, but I think I prefer his planned ending (with the statue having moss, and the walkers still roaming around) To what we got. Fit's the tone of the comic better.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
After reading it, I respect Kirkman for ending it how he did. It's clear that the world still has roamers outside of the expanded safety zone and it's not exactly rainbows and ponies. Carl struggles to adjust to the new world as he continues to mourn and remember the legacy left behind by Rick, Hershel has a grey justification for keeping the roamers, and people still harbor grudges. I thought for sure Carl was going to end up with Lydia but at least this issue showed a bit of sexual tension left behind.

There's a lot that's left open to interpretation that's implied such as Negan's hermit lifestyle, Eugene dealing with loneliness, and kids being ungrateful for the sacrifices made to ensure their world is better. Plus the characters that are still alive have to deal with some kind of scars left behind by the world that forced them to adapt.

That said, I'll agree that the alternate ending with issue #74 did sound quite interesting but I can see why it would have been abrupt. Given how bleak the whole series is, to end it on that note didn't sound quite right but it was fascinating. I think ending it at 193 issues was as good of a place as ever to end it on. Kirkman didn't want to continue to spin his wheels for the sake of it. While it would have been cool to spend more time in the future, there's not much that Kirkman could explore. Either way, it's going to be talked about for years to come.

There's going to be an empty void left by the lack of a TWD to look forward to every month. But there's quite a number of other Image Comics series that are ending soon such as Paper Girls, Skyward, and The Wicked and Divine in addition to Sex Criminals. I'm pretty sure Saga has an end date as well whenever it returns from hiatus. But this is off-topic.

Last edited:

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet there's going to be another novel detailing what happened during the time skip.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, it's so crazy to think that it's over. Loved the ending. Not everything needs to be bleak and nihilistic, and for a comic book series that was as gut-punchingly brutal as The Walking Dead, I'm glad to see it have a positive and happy ending. In the end, it wasn't all for nothing. All that pain and struggle the survivors went through mattered. Rick's life and death mattered.

As an epilogue to last issue, it felt good. Great length, and I felt like it covered who and what it needed to cover. Very satisfied. What a run. I need to buy the compendiums, but I just don't have anymore room on my bookshelves for more books, so I've been buying my books digitally these days. 😭😭

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
That... was perfect.

I loved it. What a way to go. Going to be weird that after 11 years of following the series (I started in early 2008) that it's gone. All those moments in shock, disbelief and characters dying... jeez. I love that Carl is so happy. Finally, that kid deserved some good vibes. Love the fact that he ends up with Sophia.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Reviving this thread with some spoilers for the Fear the Walking Dead season five finale.

The Spoiling Dead Fans said:
Ginny and Morgan are the last two left behind after Ginny manages to separate the group by sending them off in their vehicles. Ginny pulls a gun on Morgan and they fight. Ginny manages to get a shot off and shoots Morgan in the chest. She tries to shoot him a second time, but fails. Ginny then leaves. Morgan walks a bit alone, bleeding out as about half a dozen walkers close in him. Looks like we will see if Morgan really "never dies" - in Season 6.

As an aside, it seems like the big change teased at Comic Con that sets up season six may be separate from the Morgan cliffhanger, based on impressions from folks who have seen the episode early. Either the change is the group joining Ginny's people, or something else. There are other rumors floating around that Grace may not actually be who she seems (maybe tied to CRM/the helicopter people?), but they haven't been confirmed yet.

But anyway, they're either setting up a Carl-style death for Morgan that'll happen in S06E01, or they're copying Rick's exit from TWD and moving Morgan to the upcoming movies. Guess we'll find out... next summer. Ugh. But either way, I don't see him staying on Fear... which makes me happy because maybe we'll finally see Alicia become the central character.

dustyherb

Oct 25, 2017
CO
Reviving this thread with some spoilers for the Fear the Walking Dead season five finale.

As an aside, it seems like the big change teased at Comic Con that sets up season six may be separate from the Morgan cliffhanger, based on impressions from folks who have seen the episode early. Either the change is the group joining Ginny's people, or something else. There are other rumors floating around that Grace may not actually be who she seems (maybe tied to CRM/the helicopter people?), but they haven't been confirmed yet.

But anyway, they're either setting up a Carl-style death for Morgan that'll happen in S06E01, or they're copying Rick's exit from TWD and moving Morgan to the upcoming movies. Guess we'll find out... next summer. Ugh. But either way, I don't see him staying on Fear... which makes me happy because maybe we'll finally see Alicia become the central character.
Morgan going over to the Rick movies would definitely make me happy. His relationship with Rick has always been something I've really loved. But if he really does die than what a shitty fucking end for him. I know most people don't enjoy Morgan as much as I do but I definitely feel as tho he deserved better. His time on fear has just been so fucking disappointing.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Morgan going over to the Rick movies would definitely make me happy. His relationship with Rick has always been something I've really loved. But if he really does die than what a shitty fucking end for him. I know most people don't enjoy Morgan as much as I do but I definitely feel as tho he deserved better. His time on fear has just been so fucking disappointing.

Haven't watched any of Fear, but I loved that they expanded his role vs what his character got in the comics.

dustyherb

Oct 25, 2017
CO
Haven't watched any of Fear, but I loved that they expanded his role vs what his character got in the comics.
Yep same here. I never cared for Morgan very much in the comic to be honest. Always thought it was awesome he made it to AOW in the show and got to be apart of that story arc. Morgan and Rick teaming up to kill the saviors in season 8 is one of my favorite moments in the show.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Some spoilers for 10x04, since someone in the season's thread was interested:

The Spoiling Dead Fans said:
Alright, buttercups. We heard back from our source and unfortunately they are very busy this week. We sent about 20 questions and this source loves to be detailed as possible and needs more time to do so. They might not be able to answer until tomorrow, and the episode might be out by then. Our source is so sweet and didn't want to leave us hanging so they did provide a couple of tidbits. Hopefully this will hold us over until tomorrow!! Thank you source for these delicious morsels!!

We do see Michonne and Ezekiel kiss. Michonne sees Ezekiel outside of Hilltop, riding by himself. She goes after him, and he's at the edge of some scaffolding. He's seemingly considering throwing himself off of it. Michonne talks him out of it. They share a hug, and Ezekiel kisses her, apologizes immediately after. Then they sit down and have a heart to heart on losing their partners and how hard it is to pick yourself up afterwards, where Michonne cries. After that, they have a bit of a playful banter where Michonne tells him that he's not a half-bad kisser and Ezekiel jokes that just so she knows, he's not exactly at the top of his game.

The most prominent theme is some teenager-looking types harassing Lydia. It is implied that they are the ones responsible for the Silence The Whispers graffiti on the door of the house where she's living with Daryl. They corner Lydia in the middle of the night and actually, physically attack her, but Negan comes and pulls them off of her. There is a commotion, a guy says they were just trying to scare her, and when it's over, it turns out that Negan pushed Margo off of Lydia a little bit too hard and actually fucking killed her!! He comes in when Margo is on top of Lydia, pulls Margo off of her and shoves her aside without looking, proceeding to interfere with the other two guys, and afterwards, we see that he shoved her so hard that she hit a wall, her back facing the wall, possibly breaking the back of her skull because there's a bunch of blood on the wall! Shit hits the fan, of course. I would say that this is the main event, there are other conflicts happening as well but nothing as major. And no Dog again, unfortunately.
Tl;dr: Ezekiel almost commits suicide but is talked out of it by Michonne, and they get a little intimate. Negan saves Lydia from being attacked by some Alexandrians, but he accidentally kills one of them in the process.