• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
sFWKnMM.png

This thread will be used to discuss both the comic book and leaks for the TV show. Discussion of leaks is to be limited to this thread and nowhere else.

This thread will contain SPOILERS. Enter at your own risk!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna open this up with the recent major rumour going around.

Which I'm actually going to spoiler tag because if it's true, it's going to fundamentally change the show.

TSDF are working to confirm that Carl dies in the MSF/MSP. They're in the "we are fairly sure it happens but can't say for sure" stage, but Carl hasn't been seen filming since the end of August.

:(

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Right?! It's the first time I've seen a spoiler/rumour/anything for TWD and been like "excuse me, what?"

I'm in distress :(

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in the camp that all major deaths help the show so my interest has def gone up

Doesn't he play a significant role in the comics? Very random, did the actor need to get away from the show perhaps?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, he plays a major part in the comics especially after the storyline with Negan.

The talk is that he wanted to leave the show/~spread his wings~ and is into music and DJing now.

In any case...keeping in mind, this is still a rumour/unconfirmed, but there are filming reports pointing towards it.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it feel like none of the character deaths on this show are ever their own doing? I feel like all of them have been tied to people leaving to do other things or being Darabont alums who wanted out when he was chased off after S1. Carl rumor makes sense since there was talk last year he just wanted to go to college like a normal kid.

To be safe.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped watching the show a long time ago given I lost interest, but given how many seasons there are, I wouldn't find any character death shocking.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Why does it feel like none of the character deaths on this show are ever their own doing? I feel like all of them have been tied to people leaving to do other things or being Darabont alums who wanted out when he was chased off after S1. Carl rumor makes sense since there was talk last year he just wanted to go to college like a normal kid.

To be safe.

Because you are most likely right. Glenn was one of the few major 'planned' ones. I really don't understand why the show has such a hard time killing off its extremely large cast. Poor Carol, they keep yo-yoing her development, I wonder if she will leave again this season. Put her out of her misery.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not reading spoilers, but I'm guessing Ricks girlfriend. Or Daryl.

dustyherb

Oct 25, 2017
CO
As a huge comic fan losing
Carl
would really fucking suck. He has so much awesome material after All Out War. I'm really hoping this is the one time spoilers turn out wrong but if not it will be interesting to see how the show handles all of this. Will other characters get his storylines or are they going to stop following the comics so closely.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge comic fan losing
Carl
would really fucking suck. He has so much awesome material after All Out War. I'm really hoping this is the one time spoilers turn out wrong but if not it will be interesting to see how the show handles all of this. Will other characters get his storylines or are they going to stop following the comics so closely.

I'm really curious too, to see what they do with the material. Or maybe the show is going to end this season or next. Have we heard anything about renewal yet? When does TWD usually get renewed?

I'm really hoping it turns out wrong too.
I dunno though. The last time Chandler was filming, he had a lot of blood on his shirt, there were a lot of closed sets, there were horrible screams from a woman, most think Michonne, and Chandler now hasn't been seen since end of August. He also has moved back to LA (apparently) and posted something on his IG about how he was happy to be a part of something that meant so much to people.

I hope it's not true :(

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna open this up with the recent major rumour going around.

Which I'm actually going to spoiler tag because if it's true, it's going to fundamentally change the show.

TSDF are working to confirm that Carl dies in the MSF/MSP. They're in the "we are fairly sure it happens but can't say for sure" stage, but Carl hasn't been seen filming since the end of August.

:(

ive read about this on reddit and yeah, all signs point to it being true.

cant wait to see how the characters react, especially michonne who told him "its your show now" just one episode earlier lol

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't read any spoilers for this season. I thought, "Maybe this will be the first season I go in blind" (barring what I know from reading the comics). Then I see this thread.

I kinda wished I was still going in blind.

Let that be advice for any comic-reader entering this thread who's debating on whether or not to read the spoiler in the first reply.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
The spoilers have never really been wrong for the record
ive read about this on reddit and yeah, all signs point to it being true.

I know. Just hoping it's not :(

I hadn't read any spoilers for this season. I thought, "Maybe this will be the first season I go in blind" (barring what I know from reading the comics). Then I see this thread.

I kinda wished I was still going in blind.

Let that be advice for any comic-reader entering this thread who's debating on whether or not to read the spoiler in the first reply.

Yeah, as a comic reader, it's a shock and definitely a...departure, from the comic. :(

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Carl
dying makes a lot of sense actually
Chandler Riggs is 18, he has been doing this since he was 11, he probably wants to do something else. How many of us didn't want to get out as a young adult and spread our wings? If he has any ambitions other than acting now is the time to do it, go to college, get an education.
Even if he wants to keep acting, he should still leave, staying won't help him. He probably got all out of The Walking Dead that he could, exposure, connections, experience etc., playing Carl for 5 more seasons won't help him further.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Makes zero sense in terms of story,
he's a massive part in most events going forward

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
They never let Carl do any of the cool things he does in the comics anyway
, so it's hard to feel this as a loss.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped watching this show after last the premier last season, but I don't see why they couldn't just be writing Carl off for awhile to let Chandler have a break for a bit. He could have a falling out with his father and split off from the group for however long necessary.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
As jarring as it would be
I think they'd be better off just recasting him after ending the war and having a time skip rather than just killing the character. He plays such a monumental role in the comics moving forward I am not sure how you would rewrite it all. I wonder if this is the real reason the Carl/Negan dynamic was never built up last season since the writers knew he seemingly wanted out.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they are doing a pretty good pivot towards sparing Negan's life. I didn't think it would be handled as well as it has. Still not sure how the TV audience will react.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly kind of years too late if you ask me. I never really warmed up to the show's version of Carl. Riggs has improved but he's never been a very good actor. Just like after Glenn and the dumpster, I'm getting more of a "huh" reaction than anything else.

And as someone else mentioned, they do seem to have killed a lot of people off that wanted off the show rather than planned exits and that doesn't exactly help with character arc development

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
So that would mean those future sequences are a dream and not the time skip like some were speculating. They were blatantly obscuring Carl's appearance in there.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Oh yeah, I never considered that possibility. Maybe it really is a timeskip and they just cast an older Carl

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd probably watch this show again if they announced a final season. I doubt they kill off both characters mentioned in this thread in one season though.

Snobby Rob

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Anyone feel like they just watch this out of habit anymore? I feel myself recording it and skipping more than half of the episode and missing nothing.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I find it hard to believe they'd recast Carl. Maybe when he was around season 2 or 3 they could do it, but now he's a grown man. They have to find someone so similar to him that it's creepy. So they either kill him off or they find some way to make him appear every 5 episodes or so, which is still almost impossible.

I say let's kill him off. Terrible character, terrible actor.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
As pertinent as it is to the story after this arc, it almost would make sense for Carl to take the mantle of Andrea in contribution to Rick's grief/character development.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kill Carl, time skip, make Rick's daughter a kickass teenager killah, and since you're there, actually cast a good actress

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is a spoiler thread why are people using spoiler tags?

Doesn't it feel like the comic is winding down at all? This current unnamed volume 29 and the name of volume 30 make it seem like it's on its way out. I mean he is ending Invincible, I can't imagine he would want to do TWD forever.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

Can do! Spoilers from The Spoiling Dead Fans.

Q&A Episode 8.4 "Some Guy"

Can you tell us about the aftermath of the attack involving the Kingdomers?

When we finally are taken to the scene, we see that they're all dead. Bodies are scattered everywhere, some missing limbs and some with huge holes from the gunshot blasts. Then finally he extends his hand from the heap of bodies of the Kingdomers who had rushed to protect him. He's been shot in the leg pretty badly, but he's alive. He's got the added problem of all the dead Kingdomers reanimating. He tries to defend himself as best he can, but he doesn't have a gun and he can't even stand up on his leg. Finally, 3 or 4 other Kingdomers show up and save him.

What happens after they save him? Do they escape?

A nerdy looking Savior with big glasses shows up and kills the remaining Kingdomers. He takes Ezekiel hostage. He goes on and on about how Ezekiel is just bullshit, that he's not a real "King" and that if they just take away that cat, he'll be nothing. Eventually Jerry comes along and slices this Savior right in half!

In the sneak peek, we see Carol hiding from some Saviors inside a building. Can you tell us more about what happens in that scene?

That building is the where the snipers were holed up in. Carol is a such a boss and takes out all those sons-of-bitches!! However, that's not all of them, and reinforcements show up. Carol manages to escape and continues to pursue and engage the remaining Saviors.

She later realizes they have the guns they're after, and so she stays there and fights them on her own. There are only 2 left alive, but then she sees Jerry and Ezekiel behind a locked fence being surrounded by walkers. So she goes to them and helps. Those are the 2 guys that escape in the jeep.

Who dies in this episode and how? Is anyone hurt?

Daniel, and every other Kingdomer in Ezekiel's party with the exception of Jerry and Carol. Including Shiva. Shiva saves Ezekiel, Carol, and Jerry when they're surrounded by walkers.

When in the episode does Shiva die?

It's towards the end. Carol goes back to rescue Jerry and Ezekiel but the walkers are closing in. Ezekiel tells them to just leave him since he's just slowing them down because of his leg wound. But Carol and Jerry refuse. They're surrounded, and that's when Shiva shows up.

Who are the men that Rick and Daryl go after on the road? What happens with them?

They are the remaining Saviors at the outpost that Carol had engaged but had to abandon because Ezekiel and Jerry were in trouble. Rick and Daryl shoot them, run the jeep off the road and get their guns.

How does the episode end?

Jerry, Carol, and Ezekiel return to the Kingdom and are met by all of the women and children. He seems completely broken, and can't even address his people because everyone's dead.

*BONUS *

- Jerry loses his weapon in this episode. He breaks it when he tries to use it to break through a big chain on a fence

- Ezekiel keeps wanting Carol and Jerry to leave him behind but Carol says, "Nope. You don't get to do that."

- This episode is focused on the Kingdom people. The only other scene is a short scene with Rick, Daryl, and the two Saviors

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know. But I hoped it wouldn't haha.
I hope they use the budget to make it at least really cool to watch even if it will be sad af.
If this is a spoiler thread why are people using spoiler tags?

Doesn't it feel like the comic is winding down at all? This current unnamed volume 29 and the name of volume 30 make it seem like it's on its way out. I mean he is ending Invincible, I can't imagine he would want to do TWD forever.
This was one of the problems on the last site, was that the leak thread was also the comic spoilers thread. I think we should have kept the leaks under wraps for the show, especially if it diverges from the comic. Otherwise I would have no idea about Carl . . . although I doubt they kill Carl off. Half of what makes Negan fun to watch again is his interactions with Carl.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't see them justifying Negan continuing to live post-War if he or the Saviors have a hand in Carl's death.

dustyherb

Oct 25, 2017
CO
Can't see them justifying Negan continuing to live post-War if he or the Saviors have a hand in Carl's death.
Maybe it's Jadis and the Scavangers who do it?

Eh I don't think so. But I suppose it depends on where Kirkman takes this next volume. He's always said 300 issues is what he's aiming for but who really knows at this point.

As for invincible something tells me either Kirkman or Ryan Ottley just grew tired of doing it. This last two part volume has felt pretty rushed in my opinion. There's still a few issues left but I just don't think it should be ending just yet.

Kill Carl, time skip, make Rick's daughter a kickass teenager killah, and since you're there, actually cast a good actress
Yep I was thinking they could do this as well. They would just have the make the timeskip longer for Judith.
Carl going after Lydia and getting held by the Whisperers is such an important part in the lead up to the war, they can't just give that storyline to anyone. It's gotta be someone Rick is willing to go after. An older Judith could definitely work. But someone still has to take Carl's Hilltop story as well. Maybe Enid could take it and become more of a leader idk.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not really into leaked spoilers but I'd like to discuss comic spoilers and how the show could or won't follow the comic storyline

as far as the rumored spoiler in this thread, I seriously doubt that character will leave the show, but it's possible. Maybe another character could take his story but I really do doubt it

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Just as an FYI re: rumour. It's still not confirmed, but he still hasn't been seen filming since the end of August, and they're currently wrapping filming on the finale of the season so... :/