• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Suggestion: If they're going to add a Dragon Quest character + music, they should add an LGBTQ+ character to counter Sugiyama's homophobia.

For instance...

latest

Also, there are no women at all rumored in this DLC pack, so please add her Nintendo.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say that but I can personally guarantee there isnt a single media product that you enjoy that doesn't funnel your money into the pockets of shitty people in some way.

Well like Sonic says, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

At the least this guy shows he's a total bastard so I can make an informed decision to stay away from him, but then it's also easy for me to make that choice since my distaste for Sugiyama outweighs any love I have for Dragon Quest. If the developers of Hollow Knight suddenly revealed themselves as ardent Trump fans or something I'd probably be more willing to twist myself in knots justifying why I don't need to give up my favourite game.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they even use code names that actually reference the character's identity? Wouldn't it make more sense for the code names to just be FIGHTER_71 or something?

Code names like GREEN_HAT_PLUMBER_BROTHER aren't exactly throwing anyone off the scent.
Keeping track of what each character is identified by when coding and reading through code would be a lot easier with code names than numbers.

Sure it could be done, but would the hassle be worth it? Probably not.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Japan, sure. It's the complete opposite outside Japan though, which should definitely be taken in to account when choosing these dlc characters.

If DQ is there, it's obviously that it's mainly a option for Japan. What's better than one of it's biggest franchises? The majority of the characters on Smash for quite some time are made for the west or for Japan/West in mind too so this is quite a exception.

Nov 12, 2017
People who seriously expect Banjo, answer me this

Why would Nintendo work with Microsoft to get an obscure character that hasn't had a game in a decade, when they can work with Microsoft to bring the main character from the second biggest game of all time? The only Microsoft rep who should be seriously considered is Steve.
Let me play the devil's advocate:
1) To promote the upcoming N64 Mini, which for sure will require working with MS (even DK64 has Rare-owned content)
2) To fulfill one of the highest voted characters in the Ballot; a guaranteed audience and hype machine
3) To represent the N64 era in general, which has really bad representation in Smash atm
4) Every other 3rd party is getting 2 reps, so why not Microsoft?
5) Banjo has been requested by both Eastern and Western fans since Melee
6) To strengthen their relationship with MS in general
7) Obviously there's a Crash/Spyro-style Banjo remake in development for his 20th, coming to both Xbox and Switch
8) Okay, I went a little too far with that one
9) But seriously, moveset potential is through the roof
10) And Duck Hunt Duo obviously mainly got in as a reference to Banjo. A poor man's Banjo, per se.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Whether it's dead or alive doesn't mean anything, there are characters in the cast who are simply there just because of retro/nostalgia appeal.
You can't equate Banjo to characters like Game and Watch and K Rool. Nintendo and Sakurai treat third-party characters in Smash as a big deal, they're not going to go out of their way to get a character from a dead series for one of Smash's limited DLC slots. Outside of enthusiast forums like this one, Banjo is super obscure, and Nintendo has no reason to add him when they could get a character from a popular, currently active, series instead.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Suggestion: If they're going to add a Dragon Quest character + music, they should add an LGBTQ+ character to counter Sugiyama's homophobia.

For instance...

latest

Also, there are no women at all rumored in this DLC pack, so please add her Nintendo.

I can't imagine her in Smash without having her be super OP lol. Just blinking around everywhere throwing sticky bombs on people. Would be fun though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
1) To promote the upcoming N64 Mini, which undoubtedly will require working with MS (even DK64 has Rare-owned content
)
2) To fulfill one of the highest voted characters in the Ballot; a guaranteed audience and hype machine
3) To represent the N64 era in general, which has really bad representation in Smash atm
7) Obviously there's a Crash/Spyro-style Banjo remake in development, coming to both Xbox and Switch
10) And Duck Hunt Duo only got in because they couldn't get Banjo at the time

While I actually have thoughts many of these points before, especially 1, 5, and 10, I just can't see it in a minecraft world. In an alternate Earth banjo was one of the first confirmed characters for Brawl as Nintendo would have kept rare in the 00's.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
1) To promote the upcoming N64 Mini, which undoubtedly will require working with MS (even DK64 has Rare-owned content
)
7) Obviously there's a Crash/Spyro-style Banjo remake in development, coming to both Xbox and Switch
Look, I love Banjo, but none of those reasons are good enough to put him in over Steve or any of the other rumored characters. They want characters that will sell as individual DLC and not just as part of the fighter pass. They won't pick a relic from the N64 era.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Sugiyama is shit but Sugiyama doesn't design these characters. Gotta get those midis though to avoid him getting money.

DQ has too much history with Nintendo to not be included.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys did you know koichi sugiyama is an evil bastard? i don't know if you heard the last fifty times i posted about it in every single dragon quest thread on era but here it is again in case you missed it

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So, I wasn't paying much attention, what are the other rumoured characters that go along with this?

For instance...

latest

That would be cool (and it would most likely mean that Overwatch is coming to the Switch).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Look, I love Banjo, but none of those reasons are good enough to put him in over Steve or any of the other rumored characters. They want characters that will sell as individual DLC and not just as part of the fighter pass. They won't pick a relic from the N64 era.
Is that why they put Bayonetta in 4??? Banjo is more popular than Bayo. Banjo is one of the most requested characters for Smash. Whether he gets in or not is whatever, but lets not play the relevancy card.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wonder who we'd think jack was if the roles were reversed and Erdrick had been revealed at TGA.

Is that why they put Bayonetta in 4??? Banjo is more popular than Bayo. Banjo is one of the most requested characters for Smash. Whether he gets in or not is whatever, but lets not play the relevancy card.

Not according to the votes :P

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
)
1) An N64 mini has yet to be announced. And even if it does happen, it's fully possible that Rare's games could be omitted from it.
2) You (like many other people) overestimate Banjo's popularity. His games are pretty obscure to most people these days, and there's no shortage of characters with more widespread appeal
3) I don't think representing a specific era of gaming is anything that Nintendo cares about
4) Namco only has one rep at the moment, and Microsoft has zero. Your jumping to conclusions that they might get any at all.
5) Geno and Dixie Kong say hi
6) You have no way of knowing if Nintendo cares about that at all. Xbox sells horribly in Japan anyway.
7 + 8) Fair enough
9) Same for a lot of characters that aren't in the game
10) You literally made that up

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah man! DQ IS IN!

Joke - Dragon Quest Character in Smash with 1 song

Woke - Bravely Default Character with a ton of music from the first game
177313cd98c35eae414e0b349604fdad1514154333_full.png

Have to admit, I'd be a bit disappointed it's not DQ, but I'd be more that happy with Edea.

DQ should get sound-a-like themes to skirt over Sugiyama

That actually did this with the FF Brave Exvius crossover.

I can take Erdrick if that means Alena is a assist.

A Mii Brawler costume would be AWESOME (and more likely I think)

So which DQ guy?
Or, who would it look like? The DQ11 one?

So, which DQ hero should this be?

If it was up to me i would have Erdrick with DQ1/DQ2 Heroes being alternate costumes like Alph but that's just me

So I don't know much about DQ, but if they could somehow finesse a Crono color palette into the character, I'd be okay with it
Was the rumor that the character will be Erdrick or the protagonist from DQXI? I remember seeing both

Seems people are missing the original rumor that said Erdrick would have FOUR characters in one each with two colors.

5c16c9208c45405bd8000001.jpeg

Male and Female Erdrick

Dtm5SKsV4AA39gH.jpg

Ann Lucia (still no official English name) from DQX was also mentioned. It's worth noting in the newly reused art book her listed name is Yuushahime Anrushia (Brave Princess Anlucia)

And of course, DQXI Hero

220px-DQXI_Hero_art.png

I'd actually place a pretty good bet that Erdrick's second color is the redesigned Scion of Erdrick(DQ1 Hero). He's close enough in appearance that a recolor would be quick and easy

kdq-01.jpg

Do we really need to have every fucking thread about DQ devolve into this Sugiyama shit. Yes he's an ass, can we discuss other aspects of the series for a change.

Seriously...

But you know I really hate? This crap:

That's more than enough reason to not want a character, & this is before getting into how boring DQ is as a series

You lose all credibility at this point. It's one thing to say you don't want to support anything Sugiyama because of his views. I perfectly respect that. But you fall off your high horse the second you just take cheap jabs at a series and make it about you just disliking the series. Get out with that nonsense!

Yeah, we need that 80s, early Dragon Ball shit. That new age garbage in that last pic is...eh.

Actually those were from the SNES remakes from the 90s, probably to coincide with DBZ's popularity.

His recent stuff is more whimsical.

350px-DQMBR_Heroes.png

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Also on a side note
I'm really really glad this isn't banjo and sincerely hope they never let banjo see the light again.
What an abomination of a character

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It made sense to put Bayonetta considering they were funding Bayonetta 2. They're not funding a new Banjo game. Lol
But the argument is they want characters that will sell. We can all pretty much assume Bayo was the least bought DLC seeing how poorly Bayo 2 sold on Wii U. And I would imagine by a large margin compared to Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and the returning veterans.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
They put bayo in because she won the poll*
Are you making a joke or didn't know this?

*most realistic choice that was top

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Seems people are missing the original rumor that said Erdrick would have FOUR characters in one each with two colors.

Dtm5SKsV4AA39gH.jpg

Ann Lucia (still no official English name) from DQX was also mentioned. It's worth noting in the newly reused art book her listed name is Yuushahime Anrushia (Brave Princess Anlucia)

If the rumor is true, including a DQX character as an alt bodes well for a possible Western release!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
To summarise the Twitter thread:
  • Joker is a fairly light character (with the same weight as Peach and Daisy); "Brave" is around as heavy as Cloud.
  • Joker's run-speed is fairly fast (between Mewtwo, Charizard and Ridley); "Brave" is around as fast as Young Link.
  • Joker can Wall-Jump and has a rapid jab; "Brave" has neither of these two things.

Should be noted that THE WHOLE POINT of balancing is changing those presets.

Jan 9, 2018
hey guys did you know koichi sugiyama is an evil bastard? i don't know if you heard the last fifty times i posted about it in every single dragon quest thread on era but here it is again in case you missed it

...Did you want people to ignore that fact or something? He is a terrible person, I get why you might think it's tiresome but it definitely helps people like me who keep forgetting the guy exists. I have no attachment to DQ, so I have no reason to regularly remember who Sugiyama is on a day-to-day basis. Again, it helps. It's something that I find very important for any of my purchasing decisions.

Edit: Lemme just add that Tracer would be really cool. I don't play OW at all, but I feel like it's big enough to warrant a new character and would definitely garner attraction from the gaming community.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I still say Jibanyan makes a ton of sense with Yokai Watch 3 hitting in February.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
They put bayo in because she won the poll*
Are you making a joke or didn't know this?

*most realistic choice that was top
Okay? The argument is Nintendo wants the DLC's to sell a lot. Regardless of who won Bayo is not a character that you include if you are looknig to make money. No way Bayo sold as well as Cloud or Ryu. Not even close. My point is Nintendo isn't just going to include characters because they want to make the max amount of money. Thats why I think Banjo isn't out of the running because he isn't "popular".

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Another dude with a sword huh. Hopefully they make the moveset unique and the rest of the pass a little more exciting. Would of taken a Monster Hunter rep over this if I'm honest.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Yep but whether or not anyone should like Dragon Quest has nothing to do with either.

I'm not saying people shouldn't like Dragon Quest. I've made it abundantly clear that it's the sole example where I can't bring myself to be all "I'm happy for fans of the series." I made it clear that Sugiyama is a terrible person & I regret buying this Fighter Pass solely knowing he made a fraction of a cent from that decision. I made it clear that it's understandable that someone can be upset about this fact, as Sugiyama doesn't really hide the fact he's a hateful bastard & will spend your money on hate. And I made it clear I don't care for Dragon Quest, don't see the appeal of Dragon Quest, & think Nintendo's foolish for thinking they can try to make the series popular in the West yet again.

But no one's saying you can't like Dragon Quest. I, & others here, are just making it clear why we don't like Dragon Quest, & by extension, the addition of the series to Smash. If you're feeling like people being upset about this is a personal attack, I don't know how to help with that.

Dante is brave and the Jack of all trades . I would even go as far as to say.

jackpot

I will never not appreciate your dedication to this bit.

The posts about DQ are disgusting as I expected. You're all pathetic as always over this.

Dragon Quest deserves much more than any franchise. It's one of the most important franchises, it's one of the biggest and most popular franchises in Japan, it's only behind Final Fantasy with SE, it's the biggest franchise from Enix side, Nintendo have strong ties with the franchise with all of it's mainline games on Nintendo consoles and it would be the first DLC to be more focused on Japan in quite some time.

"Deserving" doesn't mean jackshit to me. When I say I want a character in Smash, it's because I like the character, & think they'll be fun to play as. Even ignoring the fact that some of my money apparently just went to a homophobic war crime denier, you couldn't pay me to care about a boring swordsperson wandering around the most generic fantasy setting I could imagine.

By this logic, the Microsoft rep we should be arguing over is the deck from Solitaire, & that L-Block would've gotten in before Sonic, let alone Snake. DQ's lack of popularity everywhere else was probably the main reason Sakurai never bothered with the series until he put Nintendo in the driver's seat, anyway. Just because DQ did well in one territory doesn't mean it should be treated like the pinnacle in all territories.

For instance...

latest

I was going to say I'd rather get Crash from Activision, but yeah. Getting 5 dudes (Even if that rumor says that Erdrick & Steve have their female counterparts as alts, you know they're not going to be the main costume) & knowing a homophobe is getting money from this Fighter Pass suddenly makes me want Tracer.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily? Your money is actively going towards Sugiyama if you buy Dragon Quest.

It's not just a matter of "separating art from artist", it's a matter of someone who uses the money he earns to spread hate towards the marginalized. Ender's Game is a great book but I'd never read or pay money for it because Orson Scott Card is a bastards among bastards.

This is so pointlessly individualist and also irrelevant. Why does it even matter if he gets more money? Who cares? He's not a major political donor, he has no power to really change anything- him getting more money, in a material sense, means literally nothing. Americans are kinda obsessed with this because they think that money = happiness or a 'better' life or whatever. But I don't really think that at all, so I don't care how much he does or doesn't accumulate, or think I have any personal responsibility.

I need some sources about him using money to fund LGBT hate campaigns. He funded a war crime denying ad in the Washington Post ten years ago. As I said, he's not a major political donor and he has no real political power. Yeah it's gross but the idea that someone buying a Dragon Quest game is essentially donating money to some huge right wing hate campaigns is so ridiculous. You might wanna check out all the shareholders for all the companies whose products you buy or services you use, cos I bet you will find many people who have donated significantly larger amounts of money to significantly larger campaigns which have actually made things worse for LGBT people. Especially with regards to anti gay marriage campaigns. This shit happens everywhere all the time.

And I'm not seperating the art from the artist, because it's pretty fucking separate already. He's not making autobiographical art where we're asked to empathise with him personally. He's composing pastichey and often mediocre music for a JRPG franchise. It's already removed from the core of the creative process, and his personal political views are obviously even further removed from that.

I am queer and I am fucking sick of being told what I can or can't like because of a combination of random bigots and intense moralistic Americans on social media. I am sick of restrictions being constantly placed on queer people. We can like what we like and not have to make fucking excuses for ourselves all the time. The world is homophobic and is something LGBT people face each day. The vast, vast majority of us have no desire to sacrifice the things we like in life, such as beloved video games, just to piss into the wind, trying to make a point that ultimately no-one is going to care about, about someone who has no significant material impact on anyone's lives.

I can hear worse stuff than Sugiyama's rants said in the pub any day of the week. I don't stop going to the pub because I have every right to be there, just as I have every right to play video games where parts are made by homophobes, or stuff that contains casual homophobia such as Persona 5, or any of the thousands of games and films that are similar.

Fine, you may think consumer boycotts are the way forward, and I think they're pointless. We'll agree to disagree. But don't shame me, or any other queer people, for liking things that you deem problematic. We're absolutely capable of thinking for ourselves, and many, many people have the capacity to acknowledge the problematic elements of something whilst enjoying the majority of it. And whether or not we spend money on it has nothing to do with how dedicated we are to LGBT rights, and to suggest so is incredibly offensive.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Okay? The argument is Nintendo wants the DLC's to sell a lot. Regardless of who won Bayo is not a character that you include if you are looknig to make money. No way Bayo sold as well as Cloud or Ryu. Not even close. My point is Nintendo isn't just going to include characters because they want to make the max amount of money. Thats why I think Banjo isn't out of the running because he isn't "popular".
This isn't Smash 4. These picks are coming straight from Nintendo and not a poll or Sakurai. Nintendo is going to do what's best for business and that's clearly not Banjo.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns on Homophobia
Bigotry towards LGBTQIA+ individuals & denying Japan's WWII war crimes is a bit more than just a "bad opinion," chief. Sure, most games probably have someone sketchy working on them, but usually it's something we don't know. Sugiyama wears his hate proudly on his sleeve, & we know for a fact he throws the money he makes from DQ's music behind it.

That's more than enough reason to not want a character, & this is before getting into how boring DQ is as a series, & how this feels like yet another ill-fated & ill-advised attempt by NoJ to sell DQ to an uncaring America.

True... I was just feeling hopeful about Geno finally getting the turn Sakurai's been unintentionally teasing since Melee.

Oh, you know they made sweet, sweet love after walking into the sunset.

Of note from that list is Falco, who, despite being popular in fanart & fanfiction, is canonically asexual (As is the Doomslayer).

If anything, Nintendo is putting Dragon Quest to reward japanese players.

People hate Sugiyama. The series also just doesn't hold any relevance to people outside of Japan. Not really a hard thing to grasp.

This is obviously for Japan. Which complains all the time that Smash is picking many characters for westerns instead of what they want. What was the last character for Japan that it wasn't also for the west? It makes total sense.

How is it disgusting to not want to fund a war crime denying homophobe?

You can't read? The part which is disgusting is people talking that way about DQ because of this. It's tiring, ridiculous and pathetic. Don't buy the dlc if you don't want to, buy just the other 4. And of course, don't buy the fighter pass.

Whatever the fuck Dragon Quest deserved is lost when it continues to employ a homophobic war crime denier.

Glad that Nintendo disagree with it. Not only as a platform holder but as a publisher.

I'm not saying people shouldn't like Dragon Quest. I've made it abundantly clear that it's the sole example where I can't bring myself to be all "I'm happy for fans of the series." I made it clear that Sugiyama is a terrible person & I regret buying this Fighter Pass solely knowing he made a fraction of a cent from that decision. I made it clear that it's understandable that someone can be upset about this fact, as Sugiyama doesn't really hide the fact he's a hateful bastard & will spend your money on hate. And I made it clear I don't care for Dragon Quest, don't see the appeal of Dragon Quest, & think Nintendo's foolish for thinking they can try to make the series popular in the West yet again.

But no one's saying you can't like Dragon Quest. I, & others here, are just making it clear why we don't like Dragon Quest, & by extension, the addition of the series to Smash. If you're feeling like people being upset about this is a personal attack, I don't know how to help with that.

I will never not appreciate your dedication to this bit.

"Deserving" doesn't mean jackshit to me. When I say I want a character in Smash, it's because I like the character, & think they'll be fun to play as. Even ignoring the fact that some of my money apparently just went to a homophobic war crime denier, you couldn't pay me to care about a boring swordsperson wandering around the most generic fantasy setting I could imagine.

By this logic, the Microsoft rep we should be arguing over is the deck from Solitaire, & that L-Block would've gotten in before Sonic, let alone Snake. DQ's lack of popularity everywhere else was probably the main reason Sakurai never bothered with the series until he put Nintendo in the driver's seat, anyway. Just because DQ did well in one territory doesn't mean it should be treated like the pinnacle in all territories.

I was going to say I'd rather get Crash from Activision, but yeah. Getting 5 dudes (Even if that rumor says that Erdrick & Steve have their female counterparts as alts, you know they're not going to be the main costume) & knowing a homophobe is getting money from this Fighter Pass suddenly makes me want Tracer.

And your motive means jackshit to me and for Nintendo as well. I'm not going to throw a tantrum over this because the piece of shit of Sugiyama is involved because I prefer series with connections with Nintendo and importance for gaming to be on Smash and Dragon Quest totally represents it.

Besides, DQ have more than 70 million, is one of the best selling franchises, have plenty of influence on it's genre, the second biggest of SE and many more great points. It doesn't matter if the majority of it are from Japan. Success is success and this is mostly for japanese players getting a rcharacter after years without one dedicated to them.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
A Dragon Quest character still seems to be pretty far from confirmed and seems to be based heavily on speculation. But I admit I also really don't want a Dragon Quest character. The character and potential moveset doesn't seem particularly interesting and I doubt the stage and music would be any better. I also wouldn't want to support Sugiyama who is a wretched horrible human being.
EDIT:
Glad that Nintendo disagree with it. Not only as a platform holder but as a publisher.

You're glad that Nintendo is potentially supporting a homophobic war crime denier? I think that's a very understandable thing for people to not want.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Wait we haven't dismissed the fact that it could just as easily be codename for a bravely default character right?
I think I might prefer dragon quest overall for legacy but bravely default characters are too cute to resist

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any reason for being so confident in a Kamiya-created Capcom character? It wouldn't be that surprising, since that (technically) covers plenty of reasonable characters (such as Leon S. Kennedy, Dante, Viewtiful Joe and Amaterasu) but I wouldn't say it's super likely or anything.
Those four do feel like the most likely next Capcom reps. Leon or Dante especially. But Ammy and Joe also feel within the realm of possibility.

The only other "big" (ish) not-more-Street Fighter Capcom rep I could see, especially considering the Nintendo affinity, is Phoenix Wright.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so pointlessly individualist and also irrelevant. Why does it even matter if he gets more money? Who cares? He's not a major political donor, he has no power to really change anything- him getting more money, in a material sense, means literally nothing. Americans are kinda obsessed with this because they think that money = happiness or a 'better' life or whatever. But I don't really think that at all, so I don't care how much he does or doesn't accumulate, or think I have any personal responsibility.

I need some sources about him using money to fund LGBT hate campaigns. He funded a war crime denying ad in the Washington Post ten years ago. As I said, he's not a major political donor and he has no real political power. Yeah it's gross but the idea that someone buying a Dragon Quest game is essentially donating money to some huge right wing hate campaigns is so ridiculous. You might wanna check out all the shareholders for all the companies whose products you buy or services you use, cos I bet you will find many people who have donated significantly larger amounts of money to significantly larger campaigns which have actually made things worse for LGBT people. Especially with regards to anti gay marriage campaigns. This shit happens everywhere all the time.

And I'm not seperating the art from the artist, because it's pretty fucking separate already. He's not making autobiographical art where we're asked to empathise with him personally. He's composing pastichey and often mediocre music for a JRPG franchise. It's already removed from the core of the creative process, and his personal political views are obviously even further removed from that.

I am queer and I am fucking sick of being told what I can or can't like because of a combination of random bigots and intense moralistic Americans on social media. I am sick of restrictions being constantly placed on queer people. We can like what we like and not have to make fucking excuses for ourselves all the time. The world is homophobic and is something LGBT people face each day. The vast, vast majority of us have no desire to sacrifice the things we like in life, such as beloved video games, just to piss into the wind, trying to make a point that ultimately no-one is going to care about, about someone who has no significant material impact on anyone's lives.

I can hear worse stuff than Sugiyama's rants said in the pub any day of the week. I don't stop going to the pub because I have every right to be there, just as I have every right to play video games where parts are made by homophobes, or stuff that contains casual homophobia such as Persona 5, or any of the thousands of games and films that are similar.

Fine, you may think consumer boycotts are the way forward, and I think they're pointless. We'll agree to disagree. But don't shame me, or any other queer people, for liking things that you deem problematic. We're absolutely capable of thinking for ourselves, and many, many people have the capacity to acknowledge the problematic elements of something whilst enjoying the majority of it. And whether or not we spend money on it has nothing to do with how dedicated we are to LGBT rights, and to suggest so is incredibly offensive.

Dude, I'm bi. I'd like to think I have some pony in this race too.

I am choosing not to spend my money on Dragon Quest. I am explaining why. Chill the fuck out.