• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So, as per the previously posted page from Fraction's Hawkeye run, does this mean that we may not only potentially be seeing the return of D'Onofrio, but possibly the appearance of characters like the Owl, Tombstone, or Madame Masque in the MCU as well?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingpin is the perfect cross series villian especially how like the Marvel Comics predominately features New York City the shows are very much that region as well. He doesn't always have to be the MAIN villian but he can be the big shadow pulling the strings behind whoever is the current antagonist. Setup a long simmering plot of Kingpin doing his Kingpin shit that eventually leads to a big showdown

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me sad that we'll never see Tom Holland's squeaky clean Petrt beat the brakes off of Vincent D'Onofrio in a prison.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
One of the rumors is that Marvel Studios will take a "broad strokes" approach towards the Netflix shows. Technically the Netflix shows won't be canon, however the MCU incarnations of those characters would still have gone through similar events to those from the Netflix shows. This would allow Marvel Studios to pick and choose what elements they want to keep and which they want to change from the Netflix-verse.

One of those changes would concern Kingpin.
In the MCU, Kingpin's rise through the criminal underworld wouldn't have happened in the aftermath of the Battle of New York, but rather during the Blip when half the population was gone.

Of course take all of this with buckets of salt.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really hope they bring Kingpin in and have him be a recurring villain. Having villains appearing once and never again is such a massive waste.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about John Bernthal?
The scene between him and D'Onofrio was great.
Been rumored as being casted again. Not for hawkeye but other stuff. I think pretty much everyone who stood out from the netflix shows has a shot at being brought back into the marvel family. Hopefully Deborah can come back as Karen etc.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This. Silence on the topic will be the answer. The show will assume you know enough that they are a big bad and not say anything else. Why confuse and annoy old fans or force new fans to watch a program on a competiting service. By remaining silent and using it as a soft reboot they keep both groups happy.
I like this take. They definitely don't need to be overly referential; obviously they will skip the origin story and just imply that Daredevil the superhero has a past. Maybe Bullseye will even get recruited for the Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts, whatever team U.S Agent is gonna lead. That's an idea.
Right.

I mean, Marvel isn't going to come out and literally say, "This isn't the same version of Kingpin or Daredevil." That would just annoy the hardcore MCU fans who watch everything and make things needlessly confusing for casual viewers.

Soft reboot is the best bet. "It's all canon" but Marvel Studios will retcon and adapt things if necessary in the future. (And if we're being honest, the Netflix shows truly did not do much that would require major retcons other than if they wanted to dive deep into The Hand. I mean, does anyone really think that Marvel Studios has any interest in Nuke?)
Do you follow Comicbookcast on YT? According to a report they received it's going to be a full reboot and they're only bringing the actors back

www.youtube.com

Daredevil WILL NOT be Canon in the MCU According to New Reports

The CBC is an online news outlet & community for nerds of all types. Our mission is to deliver content that helps you embrace Marvel, DC Comics, Star Wars & ...
One of the rumors is that Marvel Studios will take a "broad strokes" approach towards the Netflix shows. Technically the Netflix shows won't be canon, however the MCU incarnations of those characters would still have gone through similar events to those from the Netflix shows. This would allow Marvel Studios to pick and choose what elements they want to keep and which they want to change from the Netflix-verse.

In the MCU, Kingpin's rise through the criminal underworld wouldn't have happened in the aftermath of the Battle of New York, but rather during the Blip when half the population was gone.

I like this take too. Well this does sound like another soft reboot pitch, which is exactly what Netflix MCU needs anyway.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is actually super smart.

I hope it's true.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Hope so, him and Charlie have delivered the best performances in the entire MCU, I love their conflict.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Do you follow Comicbookcast on YT? According to a report they received it's going to be a full reboot and they're only bringing the actors back

Ignore CBC, he has a hate boner for Marvel TV and has been peddling videos about how it's not canon for ages now.

Until it comes from Feiges mouth I am not believing any statement on canonicity.

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like it's clear after watching Loki that all the Marvel TV stuff that isn't considered MCU canon will simply be variant versions. Some of the Loki's were still played by Tom Hiddleston and some weren't, so they can pick and choose which same actors are in this version of the universe and which are different.

Anyone feel free to chime in but the way I see it, isn't this obvious?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I hope that's true because D'Onofrio was pitch perfect casting. Man, he was awesome in DD - terrifying, imposing, scheming, all that rage simmering under the skin. He could be articulate and even polite at times but you never felt safe alongside him because you knew he could explode at anytime.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
My interest in a PG-13 version of his character is significantly lower. I'm glad Daredevil at least got 3 seasons.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I've become convinced that the Echo show was pitched as the Netflix reunion special. Not to undermine the character, but due to her deep ties with Daredevil and Kingpin then they can toss in Punisher, Jessica Jones, whoever else as well. If they've lined up all these cameos in Hawkeye, Spider-Man, She-Hulk, etc. then they gotta come together somewhere

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I've become convinced that the Echo show was pitched as the Netflix reunion special. Not to undermine the character, but due to her deep ties with Daredevil and Kingpin then they can toss in Punisher, Jessica Jones, whoever else as well. If they've lined up all these cameos in Hawkeye, Spider-Man, She-Hulk, etc. then they gotta come together somewhere
I been rewatching all of them, which means finally watching Iron Fist, Punisher, and S2 and S3 of JJ.

Daredevil and Luke Cage are so good, and even Iron Fist is entertaining if not quite as good as Daredevil and Luke Cage. I don't see why these characters aren't all back in the MCU, they even considered having them in Infinity War so clearly they felt then they were close enough to the movies to be involved. With the exception of Luke Cage none of them can really go up against even the weakest avenger, so just let them sit in their cities and do their thing and still exist.

Fisk was so good and should be brought back. Much as I like the MCU, the Netflix series have a whole different feel to them and are a gem in their own right. Yes, it sucks to not have Sigourney Weaver ever be in the MCU, and it's weird to have Blade and Cottonmouth be the same actor, and yes it means things like Iron Fist, the Hand and characters like Elektra can never have their stories told again, but just eat the loss and keep the good stuff.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore CBC, he has a hate boner for Marvel TV and has been peddling videos about how it's not canon for ages now.

Until it comes from Feiges mouth I am not believing any statement on canonicity.
Wow really? It's one thing to have a personal preference but it's another to make reports with that bias

& yeah, I don't think I ever heard Feige eve actually comment on the canonicity of the pre Disney+ Marvel MCU shows.
This just sounds like speculation, to be honest. None of the rumors from legitimate sources have commented on that aspect of it.
Another one I heard is that the Kingpin will actually debut at the end of episode 4, not 5. And if that's true, then Kingpin would return before Spider-Man: No Way Home debuts in theaters yeah?
I feel like it's clear after watching Loki that all the Marvel TV stuff that isn't considered MCU canon will simply be variant versions. Some of the Loki's were still played by Tom Hiddleston and some weren't, so they can pick and choose which same actors are in this version of the universe and which are different.

Anyone feel free to chime in but the way I see it, isn't this obvious?
This looks like the most popular option to go with, yeah. It's definitely not what I would want to go with but it seems like it's what most people do with the multiverse being the theme of this Phase.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
My interest in a PG-13 version of his character is significantly lower. I'm glad Daredevil at least got 3 seasons.

The rating doesn't even affect anything he did in the show basically? Show slightly less blood in a few of his scenes with slightly less visual cuts on some hits....I guess?

Pretty much the entirety of Daredevil's MA rating comes from Daredevil's fight scenes (way less blood there), drug & human trafficking references, Punisher scenes (that's tough), and sex & nudity - not Kingpin.

Even then between R rated mcu DP and Punisher pretty sure we're going to see the mcu slip into the MA&R ratings more. Pretty sure Deadpool 3 is the litmus test there. If an R rated mcu film still does fantastic in theaters they'll probably swap to doing more of it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
With the exception of Luke Cage none of them can really go up against even the weakest avenger, so just let them sit in their cities and do their thing and still exist.
Hmm I'm not sure that's entirely true. Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and even Ironfist have actual powers. I think they could give a good fight to some of the Avengers. Ok sure, they aren't going to level Hulk or Thor.

As for Punisher, he doesn't really target those kind of people anyway, he's more interested in the human crime element. But he held his own against Daredevil pretty well.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
The rating doesn't even affect anything he did in the show basically? Show slightly less blood in a few of his scenes with slightly less visual cuts on some hits....I guess?

Pretty much the entirety of Daredevil's MA rating comes from Daredevil's fight scenes (way less blood there), drug & human trafficking references, Punisher scenes (that's tough), and sex & nudity - not Kingpin.
Even then between R rated mcu DP and Punisher pretty sure we're going to see the mcu slip into the MA&R ratings more. Pretty sure Deadpool 3 is the litmus test there. If an R rated mcu film still does fantastic in theaters they'll probably swap to doing more of it.
I think you're forgetting some big Fisk scenes. Just some quick examples:
I think Deadpool 3 is going to get a toned-down R. Pretty much just for swearing and violence (maybe one shot of male ass for laughs). And zero depictions of smoking of course, because Disney is still paying for it

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm I'm not sure that's entirely true. Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and even Ironfist have actual powers. I think they could give a good fight to some of the Avengers. Ok sure, they aren't going to level Hulk or Thor.

As for Punisher, he doesn't really target those kind of people anyway, he's more interested in the human crime element. But he held his own against Daredevil pretty well.
They had punisher win every fight against daredevil which is ridiculous because in the comics usually Daredevil knocks Frank out in a couple hits.
They portrayed a much weaker version of Daredevil in the Netflix show so there is room to make him a lot more formidable in the MCU if they wanted.

At least he got a scene where he beat up iron fist.

In comics iron fist is more than a good fight for Captain America.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I kinda wish he'd quit doing things to tease everyone. He could be back but let them announce it or something lol. Watch him come back just to get killed off.