• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
why is it such a debate everytime about spoilers? It's like saying "why should I say please" it's common courtesy ffs. Not everybody gets much time at all to watch many movies, maybe only a handful a year. Maybe people haven't got around to it yet, maybe people didn't know what hte movie was and would've seen it eventually? Who cares the reason, don't be a dick.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yea, Logan would never have allowed himself a happy ending though. He pushes people away, he never allows himself to get close, he is broken. The ending is bittersweet and probably the best thing he could have asked for.
Yeah but like I said, the ending of DoFP could have been a course correction for himself and the entire universe but instead, they went bleaker and more hopeless.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie shit the bed with that third act

I always thought Logan is an example of a superhero film with a good third act, even though it peaks at the farmhouse.

A lot of superhero movies fall into the trap of having a big bloated climax, whereas Logan stays small in scale, which is really refreshing. The climax is just a race to the border.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I guess I forgot to add the damn [SEE STAFF POST] in the title, so.... I'll just post this little reminder for y'all:
why is it such a debate everytime about spoilers? It's like saying "why should I say please" it's common courtesy ffs. Not everybody gets much time at all to watch many movies, maybe only a handful a year. Maybe people haven't got around to it yet, maybe people didn't know what hte movie was and would've seen it eventually? Who cares the reason, don't be a dick.
-Drowning with responsibility
-Browsing and posting in the off topic section of a video game forum.

Pick one.
Spoilerphobes are off the scale insane.
Knock it off with that. Thanks.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Logan is a brave movie. I usually don't enjoy super hero movies, but Logan and Dark Knight are damn good!

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
User banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post, continuing thread derail
When you put it that way, I guess I really am the fool for expecting too much of nerds who are incapable of navigating social norms and arriving at a sensible consensus. You missed this part by the way.

It's damn near the same issue with people not mentioning what movie/game/etc. the picture they posted is from. Yall expect everyone to be on the same page as you and for some reason the onus is on everyone else.

You talk about being incapable of "navigating social norms" but you apparently think everyone else is supposed to be responsible for you not having things spoiled, ever. Do you actually think that's how it works?

I'm with you guys on spoilers if you're talking about something a week or a month or even a few months old. I'm a single father working two jobs, I know what it's like to be busy and not get to everything right away, but holy shit people at some point it's on you to watch things if potential spoilers about those things would bother you. I have yet to see any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books; I'm waiting for my son to get through the books before we watch the movies together. But it's also 2020 so if someone makes a thread with a title about some character from the franchise dying, I'd have to be a real self-absorbed buttnose to get all huffy that they didn't wait until I got around to it, don't ya think?

So no, friend, you're not required to be on the same page as me, but I do think it's perfectly fair for people to assume that if you haven't gotten around to something for *years* then you can't realistically care all that much about spoilers, and if you do, that's on you.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Man, when the events of his death are laid out like that it sounds unbearably edgy. But the emotion of it hits. The acting, the strain of emotional distance, the context of the movies that came before, the steady tone, it makes it come alive rather than feel like cheap shock value.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Y'all really back and forth bickered into a SEE STAFF POST? Damn. OT I found the family and the farm muuuuuch sadder, at least Prof lived a full life

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the messsges of this movie flew over your head considering the implication of this post..
Exactly. The lone, truly good people in the movie were the people who paid the price for actually being good.

This movie is actually a top 5 superhero movie of mine all time. I LOVE that Mangold took chances on creating something new and different. It's not a perfect film, but man is it good. Like, there's really no other people in the superhero genre trying to push the boundaries of what it can be like he tried with this. And these characters offered him the perfect people to experiment with. You couldn't use Captain America in a Western where everyone is either a villain or running from their past, when all the good people die. But Logan allows you to do that.

My biggest complaint with this movie is a small one-- I think Caliban is lame. But I liked how they even used him, so I lived with it.

Dafne Keen was phenomenal in this as well. The fight choreography they did with her and Logan playing off of each others size was smart as well.

Even the trailer for this movie was one of those "holy shit, this might be something to look at" moments that you don't really get with trailers too often these days.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring staff post
Thoughts

1 - Marking spoilers is a general courtesy, I've had some stuff spoiled for me and it's never fun. Best safe then ruin someones experience, it doesn't cost anything. I mean I'm just now getting into Red Dead Redemption 2 and I wouldn't enjoy coming across spoilers for it, even if it came out 2+ years ago.

But

2 - The movie is a few years old and relatively niche (bleak, r-rated superhero movies aren't a dime a dozen), so it makes sense to assume those emotionally invested in the characters would've seen it by now

3 - The marketing heavily projected the spoiler,
when you see Wolverine holding a shovel, looking at the ground, while Charles talks about time.. that's not subtle.
I remember all the conversation prior to the movie was about how everyone was dreading that spoiler moment

4 - It's a top three comic book movie

I always thought Logan is an example of a superhero film with a good third act, even though it peaks at the farmhouse.

A lot of superhero movies fall into the trap of having a big bloated climax, whereas Logan stays small in scale, which is really refreshing. The climax is just a race to the border.

I think the third act complaints are very overblown
many who have that opinion, don't seem to like the idea of Wolverine clone X-24 showing up, yet that's exactly what Laura is as well. The main plot is about saving a clone, why wouldn't others show up.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't have time for a reprieve with this family, but he should have time to bury them all?
Yeah he should. It's because of him that they all died.
Logan barely gives a shit about anything or anyone. He was fuckin waiting for the father to kill him right on the spot, he accepted that, he understood that his and Charles selfish actions killed the family.
Yeah so fuck him.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post
I don't like spoiler culture much. If something is three years old, I don't expect to be shielded from spoilers. I'll be disappointed, but I don't berate them for talking casually about a spoiler in an older movie.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Marvel movie, along with Spiderman 2. Had more emotion and heart then any other Comic Book movie within its decade.