• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This one is a bit more obvious, but since I didn't notice it on my first playthrough, it may be worth mentioning:

In regards to what Barlog said that every time there's a twist in the story, he'll hint at it, and some times even show us the reveal before it happens. So, Freya being Frigg, which is apparently a thing some people believe in actual norse mythology, when Kratos asks Atreus about a god who can feel no pain, Atreus answers with "Baldur, son of Frigg", and later, when we get to the area around Freya's house carrying Mimir, the lore thing we can find the moment we step out is a prayer to Frigg, and talks about how Baldur was her greatest gift to the world. That lore thing is even deactivated, with the crystal removed, I'm assuming because she doesn't want to be found.

It seems extremely obvious now, but it never even crossed my mind that the reason that specific lore note was right outside her home, and in that state, was because it referred to her and her son.

The attention to detail in this game's writing makes replaying it such an enjoyable experience story-wise.

He's holding mistletoe the very first time he appears, a minute into the game:

godofwar_201805041929vqswq.png

UNX9iPl.jpg

Wow, damn. This game, man.

Something else that went completely over my head from the very first get go is that his mother is called Faye short for Laufey, also just known as Faye in the books.

Man, I was jumping and shouting of joice when it happened.

HNNG FUCK YES, DIE, HNNG FUCK YOUR WINGS BITCH.

For as infuriating they are to fight, that execution animation sure didn't get old. Always felt good ripping those wings apart.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's one thing that's been pestering me since I finished the game.

This game leaves nothing to chance, it obsesses over the tiniest details to convey hints and foreshadow future events.

So when you're actually getting the Blades of Chaos, Athena is mocking you saying "Pretend you're everything you are not... Teacher (no reaction from Kratos), Husband (no reaction from Kratos), ---- long pause---- Father (here Kratos turns to her like she struck a nerve)".

I can't shake the feeling that this is hinting to the fact that Kratos is not, in fact, Atreus' biological father.

Oct 25, 2017

This game leaves nothing to chance, it obsesses over the tiniest details to convey hints and foreshadow future events.

So when you're actually getting the Blades of Chaos, Athena is mocking you saying "Pretend you're everything you are not... Teacher (no reaction from Kratos), Husband (no reaction from Kratos), ---- long pause---- Father (here Kratos turns to her like she struck a nerve)".

I can't shake the feeling that this is hinting to the fact that Kratos is not, in fact, Atreus' biological father.

That to me suggests the opposite. The scene occurs when Atreus is sick and Kratos is worried about him.

Athena questions him as a teacher and husband, which he does not mind since they don't really have a impact on the situation. But of course, questioning him as a father is different, as Athena does it when he's bringing something out of his past to go and save his son.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
32rHfYp.gif

dNVa9Qm.gif

Posted this one before way back, but I just love how chaotic this area was.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

Anything is possible but I'd say its very unlikely since the entire dramatic arc of this story is about Kratos finally opening up and being completely honest with Atreus about who he is and what they are. Holding back a secret like that wouldn't make any sense.

My guess is that Kratos has that reaction to Athena because being a father is what is most important to him right now.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

Nah, man. They went out of their way to name Kratos Fàrbauti, to match Laufey and Loki. No way he's not his biological son.
32rHfYp.gif

dNVa9Qm.gif

Posted this one before way back, but I just love how chaotic this area was.
Holy shit, that execution! Insane. That's a Traveller, right?

And damn, that second one. Gorgeous work, man! And I agree, that stage was ridiculously fun because of how chaotic it could get.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, we saw Atreus almost trigger Spartan Rage so I think it's clear that Kratos is the father.

Nah, man. They went out of their way to name Kratos Fàrbauti

They did? I must have missed that.

Much

Feb 24, 2018

And damn, that second one. Gorgeous work, man! And I agree, that stage was ridiculously fun because of how chaotic it could get.

Yup. He lost most of his armour since I had to punch most of it off. :D

Thanks. I saw some people complain about that area since they felt it was very difficult, but I thought it was very well done. The changing in colours to symbolise each realm was neat as well.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
They did? I must have missed that.
Yeah, if you check out the murals and translate the runes, you'll find Kratos is labelled as such.
Yup. He lost most of his armour since I had to punch most of it off. :D

Thanks. I saw some people complain about that area since they felt it was very difficult, but I thought it was very well done. The changing in colours to symbolise each realm was neat as well.
Nice! I gotta give that a try when I find a Traveller next time!

Oh, really? That's surprising, I thought it was a great encounter. Easily one of my favorites in the entire story, maybe even the game. The colors were a nice touch. You can easily tell what you'll be fighting so you know how to prepare and what to do next. Really great stuff.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/GodofWar/comments/8jcmsp/translating_the_strangers_tattoos/

Someone translated Baldur's tattoos. Pretty neat stuff. He translates Atreus' in the comments.

The blades he use in GoW3 are the blades of exile, different blades.

The blades of chaos he uses in GoW (2018) are the original blades he got from Ares in GoW (2005).

He had the blades of exile in gow 3

Ah gotcha, forgot that. It's been way too long since I played the original trilogy.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If we're to take that part as being the Serpent's body, then what about Tyr's? It's a part of it. I think that part might just be decorative again, with only Tyr, the creature's head, Tyr's spear, and the creature's wound being the clearly defined parts.

Well no. Tyr's body is apparent and this is not a decoration (dunno how you can say this, the decoration is only on the outer frame). It can't be a random decoartion because it would be irrelevent. That is clealry the ttwirling body of the snake with clear scales in the background hence looking smaller. Like I kept saying carving into iron is much harder than painting on a wall. You have to carve all parts together otherwise the iron parts would fall if they are not stitched together in one piece unlike just paint where you can paint separate parts or even floating ones while not fearing for anything to fall apart while in solids it has to be supported by other basis that is why you see the body of the snake in the background encrusted and hooked to the body of Tyr in the foreground.

Here I highlighted the body of Tyr. His body is apparent with the same pattern of his armor covering his body. I can't understand how you could confuse it with the body with of the snake in the background because of you add that part to the body of Tyr, he would look like a complete mutant being that bloated.

https://i.imgur.com/WT89v1A.jpg

WT89v1A.jpg

Also the snake head is in the background that is why he looks much bigger than the body like I explained. In fact the snake has the same spiky mane you see in te other paintings and also the same exact eye shape:

vmE1SIK.jpg

God_of_War_20180514192102.png

But to be closer in comparison, we need to compare engraving on iron like there. And in the temple entrance itself there is a big iron engraving showing the snake with the same eye, spiky mane and teeth as the iron engraving on Brok's shop. The art book also shows it and you can check it and post if you want.
There is no doubt now that this is the snake.
If you are not able to see it now, then I am sorry, it can't be helped.

Last edited:

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, if you check out the murals and translate the runes, you'll find Kratos is labelled as such.

Nice! I gotta give that a try when I find a Traveller next time!

Oh, really? That's surprising, I thought it was a great encounter. Easily one of my favorites in the entire story, maybe even the game. The colors were a nice touch. You can easily tell what you'll be fighting so you know how to prepare and what to do next. Really great stuff.

Yup, go for it! They're always fun to fight.

As soon as the blue colours came on in that room, I drew my blades. I called Hel-Walkers come outta there.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the developers were hoping for / expecting the level of analysis this game would get when they packed such an insane amount of hidden detail into the backgrounds. Really quite remarkable, especially coming from a series which has been considered just a mindless gory hack n slasher for so long.

Talk about successfully reinventing the IP in a huge way.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the developers were hoping for / expecting the level of analysis this game would get when they packed such an insane amount of hidden detail into the backgrounds. Really quite remarkable, especially coming from a series which has been considered just a mindless gory hack n slasher for so long.

Yep. i think they are going the new Kojima route with P.T. and Death Stranding with huge amount of hidden details to get a grip of what is going on like I said before.

Well don't forget that the previous games like GOW2 and Ascension had hidden secrets and paintings too giving more hints about the story of the future. But in this game this has been increased more abundantly.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, man. They went out of their way to name Kratos Fàrbauti, to match Laufey and Loki. No way he's not his biological son.

Ok. I've finished the game and about to wrap up the optional realms and Valks, but i've never faced this enemy type! Where is it/he?

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. I've finished the game and about to wrap up the optional realms and Valks, but i've never faced this enemy type! Where is it/he?
If you've finished the game you've 100% faced a traveler. They're the slow insanely heavily armored guys with the giant swords and sometimes impenetrable large round Shields on their backs.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I beat it this past Sunday and it was amazing.

Me and my wife were enthralled from beginning to end, and the team up with Kratos and Atreus fighting Baldur in the final battle had us hooting at the screen like idiots.

What a great "relaunching" of this series. I've loved every GoW game, but I think one may now be my favorite. The scope, combat, lore, narrative, characterization, art design, sound design, game design was just top notch all the way through. I still have a few side tasks to complete (like 100% all areas and defeating the five remaining Valkyries), but what a satisfying game that still leaves a lot of meat left for sequels. corybarlog and Santa Monica Studios: Bravo. Beautiful game. I'll eventually get around to writing a more thorough review, but ultimately, it's a must own game. I played it on my 50"4K Samsung and a PS4 Pro...whooo Lordy, what a gorgeous game. Presentation was also splendid. Having a single take camera was a great design decision.

Ravic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who plays the serpent's trombone the third time?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
We saw a dragon channeling electricity to attack. I wonder if we will see a frost dragon in the sequel like the ones we saw in Lair or Skyrim.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
You know... Kinda disappointing that spartan rage >>> everything in cutscenes haha.

Maybe next game he gets blocked by Thor.

Kratos never really got any story power ups or a training arc eh? Like at the beginning of the game he's pretty much on par with the toughest of Norse gods. Don't think you ever lose a fight in a cutscene in this game which is really rare in games.

Which is pretty good, Kratos has gotten nerfed plenty of times before.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You know... Kinda disappointing that spartan rage >>> everything in cutscenes haha.

Kratos never really got any story power ups or a training arc eh? Like at the beginning of the game he's pretty much on par with the toughest of Norse gods. Don't think you ever lose a fight in a cutscene in this game which is really rare in games.

Well according to Norse mythology, Magni is the strongest Aesir god so he is stronger than Thor who is stronger than Odin. So if Kratos could beat Magni, he has no difficulty beating anyone else,, unless this game is using sorting power in the opposite side. :p

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017

I actually just watched a power scaling video online that goes into detail about how strong Kratos is. I forgot who made the video as it was just in my feed. It pretty much goes into detail that Kratos is just as strong as he was in GoW 3 and was holding back at some parts.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its really a testament to the team and Sony's management how they let them play with this IP. Its astounding how good the lore and writing is in this game.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Something I was thinking about earlier: are people expecting them to continue with a number-based naming scheme for the sequels (e.g. God of War 2), or something else? I feel like they've kind of shied away from that by calling this one simply "God of War." I was thinking they could go with something like "God of War: Fimbulwinter" and "God of War: Ragnarok" if they decide to go with subtitles. "Fimbulwinter" is maybe a bit esoteric, but "Ragnarok" should be pretty recognizable.

Hwoar

Dec 16, 2017
Sequel spoilers: Freya will manipulate Atreus to side with her, but then Kratos uses a portal to ask Aloy for help. She will be his archer sidekick until they can be a happy family at the end.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I was thinking about earlier: are people expecting them to continue with a number-based naming scheme for the sequels (e.g. God of War 2), or something else? I feel like they've kind of shied away from that by calling this one simply "God of War." I was thinking they could go with something like "God of War: Fimbulwinter" and "God of War: Ragnarok" if they decide to go with subtitles. "Fimbulwinter" is maybe a bit esoteric, but "Ragnarok" should be pretty recognizable.
God of War: Fimbulwinter: I Feel it in My Scrote

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think so, there are too many context clues and events that hint towards Atreus being his son, like when Modi was egging Atreus on in Tyrs vault and it seemed as though Atreus in his anger seemed to activate an ability that looks exactly like spartan rage, why would Atreus have this specific ability when later in the game Mimir says every god is unique unless it is a hereditary. Another clue is that when Kratos is alone after the fight with The Stranger he talks to himself asking faye how their son isn't ready for this journey, if Atreus wasn't related it could have been easier to slip in a clue saying your son isn't ready, because people could misread that as Kratos knowing that Atreus was more familiar with and liked Faye better than him therefore being mommas boy of sorts.

Also his reaction to Athena could be because he still sees himself as a failure of a father for what he did to his first child, not being a good father is probably something that is constantly on his mind so it being thrown in his face would affect him more than other insults about his character.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Mimir doesn't see or hear her at all, and is drawing his conclusions from what Kratos says. So,my assumption is that Athena is completely in his head, and is his self doubt manifest.