• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain what the mural that was covered at the end depict? There one Kratos looks at, but doesn't show Atreus. I couldn't figure that one out.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain what the mural that was covered at the end depict? There one Kratos looks at, but doesn't show Atreus. I couldn't figure that one out.
This one?

kratosdeadenhancedxsowv.png

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
who talked to the world serpent when katos was bringing sick atreus to freya?

or is it not important? dunno, felt like a pretty big thing in game but its never mentionned again

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha ok just did the hidden ending thing, there's Thor!

Fuck I need the sequel / DLC now

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Yes perfect, thank you guys. It looks like something is entering them both or is that supposed to be the world serpent like you're saying in the background?
Obvious answer seems to be that Atreus/Loki is giving birth to the World Serpent, though there's this theory that the World Serpent might be Kratos himself (notice how it's entering/exiting Kratos' mouth too?)

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it,
so does that mean that Kratos is NOT the real dad?
And Odin jumped in there to make the baby?
Or is it more a hint of his later character and powers? FUN

Amazing game, stoked that they were able to make it this long
without really going to the "usual" north stuff.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it,

BOY! Kratos is DAD

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it,

Odin is not Loki's father in Norse myth

Oct 25, 2017
so, I spent a while watching some spoilercasts with Cory and I am a bit confused with the Aesir gods plans.

Cory says that Baldur was looking for Faye, however he mistook Kratos for her and assumed he was a giant and that makes his opening interaction of "being bigger, being smarter and more enlightened" than the Aesir's makes sense because he is talking about Giants and not the Greek gods.

And seemingly Odin is aware of the prophecy involving Atreus and that is why Baldur, Magni and Modi are all seemingly after Atreus.

So the question is did none of the Aesir's know that Kratos was a god?

Because the way it sounds it seems like they all thought Kratos was a giant, and Faye was mortal

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it,

We know he's Kratos' son. When Modi (or was it Magni) was trying to get revenge for their brother at the Temple, Artreus begins getting angry showing his Spartan Rage powers that comes from Kratos, but because he doesn't understand his power he is hurt/knock unconscious.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
How does time work in Norse mythology?

Not sure why Atreus/Loki wouldn't remember producing the world serpent. Or is it a different one?

Oct 25, 2017
Obvious answer seems to be that Atreus/Loki is giving birth to the World Serpent, though there's this theory that the World Serpent might be Kratos himself (notice how it's entering/exiting Kratos' mouth too?)
Loki is the father of the World Serpent in Norse Myth

So that's probably a representation of him either fathering the serpent or summoning it like he did in the end of this game

That's so interesting that whole last scene was amazing. Can't wait to see a sequel to this game.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
How does time work in Norse mythology?

Not sure why Atreus/Loki wouldn't remember producing the world serpent. Or is it a different one?
The World Serpent hasn't been born yet in the game, so of course Atreus wouldn't remember. The World Serpent they interact with was blown into the past when Thor struck him real hard with his hammer during Ragnarok (in the future). It's a loop.

Also time moves differently in all nine realms.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
The only hints we have from Cory himself are "Who do you think? Who would be walking in their footsteps looking for them?" Sounds fairly obvious I guess... but to what end? Only Mimir and Atreus can converse with the serpent I think so it narrows down the motive a little so it may not be as straightforward.

" Walking in their footstep?" Faye?
Maybe she is alive or some time travel shit involving her was happening lol

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, first word seems to be trúnaðr, trust/confidence/good faith. Second word has me stumped, already, because it starts with a phoneme pair that simply doesn't exist in Icelandic, as far as I know: tŋ. The ending, though, looks like the suffix -inn, that is fairly common. Third word seems to be missing the beginning, but also ends with a fairly common suffix -eimi, that hints to something in a dative declension. Last word has a bunch of runes that are very hard to read, but the suffix is also a common -il.

So, these all seem to be valid words and not just gibberish, at first glance. I'd need more images/better images, though. Also, Elder Futhark was never meant to transliterate Icelandic, so it doesn't really cover the entirety of the phonetics. They seem to have taken quite a few liberties with the spelling to make it fit: for instance, they're using theþurisazrune to transliterate the eth (ð) sound, when it would actually only be used to transliterate the thorn (þ) sound (both, themselves, written as th in English). Younger Futhark actually used thurs, a similar rune, to write both sounds. So, I'll have to figure out what scheme they used, if any, to make it fit.

Thanks. Interesting. Sadly I grabbed this picture from a youtube video very briefly. We ,need someone to take the time and get a better shot from it from the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I don't think this is is the case, but what if thats not actually Kratos? There's a black marking over his right eye and his clothes are completely differen.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I bet Thor breaks Leviathan, getting Kratos really raged up because that was a gift from Faye. Then he uses the blades to defeat him and takes Mjolnir.

No please. Don't make such ideas. We need all the 3 weapons. In fact the devs made it clear that Kratos can wear them all: the axe and the blades on his back and the hammer on his belt. Keep in mind the axe is the most powerful weapon Brok and Sindri created. even more powerful than Mjolnir, after that they realized the wrong they did by making it since Thor used it to commit a genocide. Both the axe and the blades of chaos are iconically the strongest weapons in their mythologies respectively. If you saw the video I posted, the strongest attack of the axe causes a an entire blizzard freezing the whole area and the strongest attack of the blades causes meteors to fall and the whole scene burning. And the axe got many mythical upgrades which can make it unstoppable, the last one was from the hidden and recently discovered puzzle. We need a thrid weapon causing a litghning storm in our arsenal.

Why would we get Thor's hammer? The axe is already that and better.

Because why not. We have ice attacks, fire attacks, we ened litgning now. And the game is full of hints about the possible ideas of the sequels. The closeup at the end highlight the hammer with runes as a hint for all of us that this weapon will be obtained and upgradable (liek the axe and blade)s in the next game(s). It doesn't need 2 to doubt this.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped up the game tonight with defeating Sigrun. Damn, she was a worthy opponent to stop the game on. I felt bad for Baldur, and everyone who got involved with Odin. Goddamn these guys are shit-stain overlords.

Did not see that Loki twist coming, even though in hindsight, there were a lot of hints.

Cannot wait for the next game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Finished this last night. I actually managed to avoid all the big spoilers before then, which is no small feat considering Youtube's "recommended videos" seems all too eager to do just that.

Some random thoughts:
  • Loved it overall. It's a fusion of The Last of Us, Metroid, Dark Souls, Horizon, and much more. The influences on this thing are legion, and they all combine to form something uniquely entrancing.
  • Are there any plans for DLC? This is like the one game where I really wished there was DLC. Already hungry for more. Another Niflheim-like scenario with randomized content would be great.
  • Never found any shield skins. I guess the preorder ones are all you get? The shield in general feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. Should have been able to upgrade it for a Defense boost, like you could with the axe/blades.
  • I liked that Jörmungandr actually was friendly, despite quite a bit of speculation after the second trailer. It didn't occur to me until now exactly why, though: Atreus is half-Giant, so he's essentially helping his own kind.
  • I love the woodcut style of the world maps. They're kinda pixelated in 2160p though; hopefully a future patch will sort that out.
  • Niflheim is a fantastic place. I went there right before the end of the main story and I ended up spending several hours there, getting the armor set and the ax pommel, and going from level 6 to 8.
  • The early parts of the game are downright brutal compared to the rest. You have to kill the first boss without any upgrades (or even your Rage meter), and the first Baldur fight is a 5-6 phase extravaganza where you have to be quick to block/dodge some very unorthodox moves. I love it, though; it's a good wake-up call, showing Kratos (and you) exactly what the stakes are.
  • I tried to emphasize Luck whenever I could. For once, that was not a great idea. You get plenty of XP and silver throughout the game already, and it doesn't really make the perks proc THAT much more often. Ah well. At least I also tried to push for more Cooldown whenever I could.
  • Kratos returning home for the Blades of Chaos...oh man. Such a whirlwind of emotions, and this is from someone who only casually went through the previous games long ago. They really nailed that sequence. The Dwarven runes that "grow" along the blades as they're upgraded is also a fantastic touch.
  • Anyone else expecting Odin/Thor to somehow intervene before the ashes were scattered? Especially after Atreus gave yet another "It's finally over" right before? (Kid seriously needed to learn that earlier lesson from Mimir about tempting fate....)
  • I was absolutely exhausted by the end...yet I still want more. Those inaccessible realms are a cruel tease. Gotta save something for GoW II though!
  • Brok is a national treasure.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I can already see the scene where you bring Mjolnir to Brok/Sindri. It's going to be awesome lol

Yup. This is basically what I thought since the E3 2016 reveal. It just makes so much sense.

Imagine dulal combination of the axe and hammer ione in each hand like the baldes. It would be so epic doing dual ice/lightning attacks and combining them. This would create epic gameplays.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Imagine dulal combination of the axe and hammer ione in each hand like the baldes. It would be so epic doing dual ice/lightning attacks and combining them. This would create epic gameplays.
That sounds awesome. I'm really interested in the story implications too. Like when Odin sees you with it he'll know how the fight with Thor went lol

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds awesome. I'm really interested in the story implications too. Like when Odin sees you with it he'll know how the fight with Thor went lol

Yep. The direction of the consequences in this game would be so epic. Remember that lightning striking when you were on the boat? That is Thor punishing Modi for leaving his brother. Imagine the reaction of Odin after he sees Kratos wielding Mjolnir and especially Mimir. XD

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
I can already see the scene where you bring Mjolnir to Brok/Sindri. It's going to be awesome lol
I think that would be a great scene somewhere in the third game, maybe towards the end. We already know the immense amount of guilt they feel over giving Mjolnir to the Aesir. Them seeing it being returned to them or at least in Kratos's possession would be a great cap off to what they inadvertently started.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think that would be a great scene somewhere in the third game, maybe towards the end. We already know the immense amount of guilt they feel over giving Mjolnir to the Aesir. Them seeing it being returned to them or at least in Kratos's possession would be a great cap off to what they inadvertently started.

Exactly. Well said. The emotional moment would be touching showing their hands topuching the hammer and remembering all the evil deeds it caused.