• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure why anyone would be worried if Barlog doesn't come back. 1. He established before the game released that he has tons of lore pre-planned.

2. The series has a history of not having the same director on two subsequent games and this series is easily among the most consistent and high quality in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017

I looked at it and it does spell something like "hormu", with the final rune being ingwaz, which approximates to "ng", like in the word "long". But "hormung" doesn't really mean anything either. Hmm..

Edit: It's a bit of a stretch, but since the runes are besides the carving of Jormungandr being born, it might be a messed up spelling of what would approximate to the modern word "ormen" (the worm, the serpent). Don't quote me on that though.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT

Barlog just said that all the yellow markings for climb this rock and stuff were placed by Faye. She walked the entire path before you.

Should be time stamped at the start of it.

I thought this was pretty obvious at the end when you find out your entire story is on the walls and Loki made a comment about it. The yellow is also on her hand print on the tree kratos cuts down at the start.

Jan 10, 2018
I used to love me some amon amarth back in the day. couldnt help but think of them while playing this haha.

Yup, their texts and power of the vocals really sets a mood that resembles that of God of War. I remember they did a song for Witcher 2 when it was released, but they could easily do one for the new God of War as well. :)

Månegarm is also great, if you want something more authentic and folk like. May not be as interesting if you're not scandinavian but I really like them:

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This game has amazing music that I've been listening to a lot, but I can't help but have this stuck in my head because of "Freya":

My favorite version:

I think it fits this game's Freya too!

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I looked at it and it does spell something like "hormu", with the final rune being ingwaz, which approximates to "ng", like in the word "long". But "hormung" doesn't really mean anything either. Hmm..

Edit: It's a bit of a stretch, but since the runes are besides the carving of Jormungandr being born, it might be a messed up spelling of what would approximate to the modern word "ormen" (the worm, the serpent). Don't quote me on that though.

Hörmung means misery, distress in Icelandic. It's a bit archaic, if I'm not mistaken. Also, not entirely sold on the idea that the painting depicts the Jörmungandr birth; I think it's just Atreus singing a magical requiem, like he did to his mother. They've used similar imagery before to depict magical spells and/or Atreus magical abilities.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hörmung means misery, distress in Icelandic. It's a bit archaic, if I'm not mistaken. Also, not entirely sold on the idea that the painting depicts the Jörmungandr birth; I think it's just Atreus singing a magical requiem, like he did to his mother. They've used similar imagery before to depict magical spells and/or Atreus magical abilities.

Yep and they show such work about all voices in the artworks: when Atreus sings or when he hears voices that can tear him apart between good and evil. Check the Facebook game artworks.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I took this as a really badly done "how about both sides huh" writing that was just... Bad.

Like it made me like that whole section less retroactively.
Oh boy are we already getting to that crap part where the honeymoon is over and people are just going to be needlessly negative about things that are an artistic choice because of weird internal expectations?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Just beat the final Valkyrie - it was way harder than any of the bosses on the critical path, but so satisfying.

Went through all the combat challenges (the first set to get to the Valkyrie) and had a blast. I dig the combat in this game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there will be a DLC expansion similar to Horizon Zero Dawn. I hope so... :(

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there will be a DLC expansion similar to Horizon Zero Dawn. I hope so... :(

I hope there isn't, I want them to save everything for the sequel.

While I want a quick DLC addon like TLL and Frozen Wilds, after some hindsight I thinka dedicated sequel would be the optimal choice for Thor and his ilk. This doesn't rule out the possibility that a sequel is already in the works and may reelas eon PS4 at the end of this gen (even when the PS5 is released like for the previous games).

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK

I hope there isn't, I want them to save everything for the sequel.

While I want a quick DLC addon like TLL and Frozen Wilds, after some hindsight I thinka dedicated sequel would be the optimal choice for Thor and his ilk. This doesn't rule out the possibility that a sequel is already in the works and may reelas eon PS4 at the end of this gen (even when the PS5 is released like for the previous games).

A nice, additional DLC questline or another unlocked realm in this game world doesn't really take anything away from a sequel and its game world, that's probably releasing on PS5.

Hasn't Cory said there is no DLC planned? I thought he said as much in the Kinda Funny spoilercast.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it. Amazing game, but disappointed we never got Thor, and Odin, would've felt more complete. I guess they wanted to make room for a sequel. Many parallels here with GOW 1-2-3, and how Cory likes to end a game hyping up the sequel by the end.

It's going to be a long wait for the next GOW. If Cory isn't directing it, I think it's a major, major blow to the sequel. He wants to do a new IP, I think.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone think that Loki (as in not Atreus as revealed) was going to be in the game cause this tiny bit of misdirection in the Be A Warrior trailer?

Jan 10, 2018

When I saw those closed realm gates on the world map I thought to myself: "Yup, that's gonna be DLC locations". But maybe I'm wrong?

Did anyone think that Loki (as in not Atreus as revealed) was going to be in the game cause this tiny bit of misdirection in the Be A Warrior trailer

Wow, they really upgraded the AI from that video. Enemies are just standing around there but in the final game they all gang up on you from every direction.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
DLC will take time away from the sequel, I like that everything they wanted to do is in the game and it's a complete package.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the story. Excellent game! Loved every minute.

Two questions though:

1. If Atreus is Loki, what does that actually mean? Odin does not have a son named Loki in this universe? Atreus will be an enemy or something?

2. How come Thor only finds them several years later? What about Ragnarok, and how come Atreus seem like the same age lol?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Two questions though:

1. If Atreus is Loki, what does that actually mean? Odin does not have a son named Loki in this universe? Atreus will be an enemy or something?

2. How come Thor only finds them several years later? What about Ragnarok, and how come Atreus seem like the same age lol?

1. Odin is not the father of Loki.
2. They will probably explain this, and it was a vision.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
So I was pretty happy with the game until it just ended, and now I'm pretty mixed and can't help but view all the events as filler with no real commitment to exploring the themes and ideas that the game talks about ad nauseum. It's pretty obvious that the game was going for a TLOU-esque unsatisfying ending and tries to commit to the fact that kratos only cares about honoring Faye's last wishes and all the mythology is just window dressing. But, all the norse mythology is pretty much the driving force and central to how the Atreus and Kratos bonding occurs so the ending kind of just undermines everything. The themes of the game end up just being lip-service in sometimes good, sometimes poor dialogue.

Like, the role of atreus and kratos kind of flips at the end where Atreus is like "no don't kill Baldur, he's beaten" and kratos is all like "yeah, ok". Then you just kill baldur 5 seconds later and the game just say "we totally did the right thing don't worry" and tries to end on an optimistic note that is completely un-earned. Moreover, the game developers seem to realize this is all lacking with the teaser when you go back to your shack. I would gladly sacrifice the rather pointless Dwarf King adventures for a more focused experience that actually followed through.

Sure, we can point to a few instances of Kratos saying "I'm just doing these quests quests for loot to help me level up and complete this quest" and say the game was honest about the experience. But that kind of undermines the other aspects and makes the rather banal plot events seem not worth it in hindsight.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Two questions though:

2) It was a dream. And in Norse myth, Fimbulwinter rages for three years before Raganarok. That's why it starts snowing at the end.

1) Loki is not Odin's son or Thor's brother in Norse myth

Jan 10, 2018
So I was pretty happy with the game until it just ended, and now I'm pretty mixed and can't help but view all the events as filler with no real commitment to exploring the themes and ideas that the game talks about ad nauseum. It's pretty obvious that the game was going for a TLOU-esque unsatisfying ending and tries to commit to the fact that kratos only cares about honoring Faye's last wishes and all the mythology is just window dressing. But, all the norse mythology is pretty much the driving force and central to how the Atreus and Kratos bonding occurs so the ending kind of just undermines everything. The themes of the game end up just being lip-service in sometimes good, sometimes poor dialogue.

Like, the role of atreus and kratos kind of flips at the end where Atreus is like "no don't kill Baldur, he's beaten" and kratos is all like "yeah, ok". Then you just kill baldur 5 seconds later and the game just say "we totally did the right thing don't worry" and tries to end on an optimistic note that is completely un-earned. Moreover, the game developers seem to realize this is all lacking with the teaser when you go back to your shack. I would gladly sacrifice the rather pointless Dwarf King adventures for a more focused experience that actually followed through.

Sure, we can point to a few instances of Kratos saying "I'm just doing these quests quests for loot to help me level up and complete this quest" and say the game was honest about the experience. But that kind of undermines the other aspects and makes the rather banal plot events seem not worth it in hindsight.

Yeah the ending made me feel kinda the same way. It didn't feel satisfying nor very understandable in what it wanted to say.

What kind of ending did you want to see? Or final act let's say.

Pazmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Like, the role of atreus and kratos kind of flips at the end where Atreus is like "no don't kill Baldur, he's beaten" and kratos is all like "yeah, ok". Then you just kill baldur 5 seconds later and the game just say "we totally did the right thing don't worry" and tries to end on an optimistic note that is completely un-earned.

That's completely ignoring the entire context of that whole scene. Atreus didn't want to see Freja killed and Kratos wanted the cycle of children killing their parents to end. Mimir even alludes that you guys may be the bad ones after all. The scene was a lose lose for everyone. Freja lost her son, Kratos and Atreus killed a man they did not want to, and ragnarok has now begun because of their actions.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

...Obviously. That wasn't the point to my question.

The trailer makes it seem like this Loki:

Loki.jpg

Was going to be in the game. It wasn't until I got to Balder at the start and heard the dialogue come from him that I realized it was him talking in the trailer.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I completely forgot that you fight actual human bandits early in the game. I think if I had one major criticism of the story and world, it would be that it feels completely dead for the most part. Aside from monsters, zombies, and ghosts, you really don't encounter that many people.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A nice, additional DLC questline or another unlocked realm in this game world doesn't really take anything away from a sequel and its game world, that's probably releasing on PS5.
What would they put in the DLC? I want them to save every god for the sequel.

I completely forgot that you fight actual human bandits early in the game. I think if I had one major criticism of the story and world, it would be that it feels completely dead for the most part. Aside from monsters, zombies, and ghosts, you really don't encounter that many people.
The humans you meet say that they haven't ate meat in a long time, also the few villages you pass by were all destroyed and burned, it seems like humans are having a bad time in the world.

Nov 2, 2017
...Obviously. That wasn't the point to my question.

The trailer makes it seem like this Loki:

Loki.jpg

Was going to be in the game. It wasn't until I got to Balder at the start and heard the dialogue come from him that I realized it was him talking in the trailer.

What part of that trailer are you referring to? Because I just watched it and I don't understand what you're talking about.

Nov 2, 2017
Atreus shows no characteristics of Loki whatsoever, outside maybe some petulance mid-game. I really have to wonder when and how they plan on fleshing out that connection.

Also, is Fenrirs-wolf in the game anywhere?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Atreus shows no characteristics of Loki whatsoever, outside maybe some petulance mid-game. I really have to wonder when and how they plan on fleshing out that connection.

Also, is Fenrirs-wolf in the game anywhere?

It wasn't the original plan. In fact Atreus didn't even have a name until after the E3 2016 demo. Not sure who in particular Cory said suggested it, but one of the team gave the idea of (paraphrasing from memory) "What if we have Atreus read the writing and says to Kratos that they kept getting his name wrong and that they were saying Loki" and that's where the idea was born.

Nov 2, 2017
Does the giant that built the wall of Asgard have a name? I was thinking it might have been Thamur, but that doesn't seem to be correct.

Take a look at KindaFunny's spoilercast with Cory. It goes over that towards the beginning.
k.

It wasn't the original plan. In fact Atreus didn't even have a name until after the E3 2016 demo. Not sure who in particular Cory said suggested it, but one of the team gave the idea of (paraphrasing from memory) "What if we have Atreus read the writing and says to Kratos that they kept getting his name wrong and that they were saying Loki" and that's where the idea was born.

Hmm... that makes sense, but it's a bit disappointing. They're going to have to be very careful in not having his transformation come across as contrived, assuming that's where they plan on going.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Was it ever explained how Kratos got the Blades of Chaos back? Maybe I missed it. The Blades of Exile were destroyed at the end of 3 so he was weaponless, and we're never told how he got to Midgard afterwards.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the ending made me feel kinda the same way. It didn't feel satisfying nor very understandable in what it wanted to say.

What kind of ending did you want to see? Or final act let's say.

I'm not sure exactly. But if were to keep TLOU comparison, that game ends with a very decisive action (choice by Joel) with really apparent consequences that is basically an answer to the questions the game was constantly asking. In GoW, you don't really get anything like that. Atreus throughout the game questions things like does "honoring" their mother really justify killing all these people and beings (though every enemy is mindlessly hostile so this question of non-violence is rather empty). And Atreus "develops" over the span of a couple of hours going from distraught to narcissistic psychopath to wise god, but the only real choice Atreus makes is killing that god (Modi?) which has no discernible consequences and is seemingly forgotten about. Kenzodielocke brings up the lessons of the side activities, which is kind of fair, but mostly amounts to interesting dialogue as you row your boat to get more loot.
Likewise, the result of killing Baldur is the result of kind of a false dichotomy and the game doesn't interrogate that at all since all you have are vague threats from Freya and then Mimir saying it's for the best. I would like at least something concrete, i guess.

That's completely ignoring the entire context of that whole scene. Atreus didn't want to see Freja killed and Kratos wanted the cycle of children killing their parents to end. Mimir even alludes that you guys may be the bad ones after all. The scene was a lose lose for everyone. Freja lost her son, Kratos and Atreus killed a man they did not want to, and ragnarok has now begun because of their actions.

So after that scene on the boat, Mimir explicitly says that there was no easy choice, don't worry you did the right thing, the world is a better place with Freya in it. Now there are snide comments earlier in the game about whether "are we the baddies" but the game ends before realizing any of it. I suppose after you spread the ashes, Mimir say "something you did must have accelerated Ragnorak". What that something was is never stated and the consequences are just vague prophecies, with the game's non-stop hyping up of thor and ragnorak being nothing but a teaser.