• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok Ok the mural around 1;40 in that video shows Baldr and Kratos fighting and Bladur is written and Kratos is called Farbauti like I said here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...beware-of-spoilers.31837/page-45#post-7063523

Edit: Huhhhhh! Look closely at 3;17. This si the first time I saw it very closely. Both kratos and Atreus look older on that mural. Kratos has whiter beard and Atreus has a teenager/adult body.

Very interesting. On a side note, the final hidden mural might not be showing Kratos dying. He's not wearing Kratos's gear, nor are his markings visible.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Kratos is the World Serpent and its born at Kratos death as depicted and cast back in time. This explains the red and white scales and the beard, plus Cory actually mentioned that in its language the snake is surprised to see you both there when it first meets you.

It may also explain the hate for Thor as it seems a hammer is buried in Kratos head at death which sets Atreus on the path to become Loki too.

Holy crap. That would be wild if true.

So a giant misdirection? Perhaps it's Thor or Odin?

The writers have seemingly left things open for themselves.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting. On a side note, the final hidden mural might not be showing Kratos dying. He's not wearing Kratos's gear, nor are his markings visible.
This too.

Remember the paintings in God of War 2, the room with the threads of time and the past, present, and future paintings, with the Three Wise Men and the crazy theories surrounding it.

It's a matter of what happens during development and how the project evolves.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I liked how they took some of the most nebulous characters in Norse mythology, only referred by their nicknames and established this GOW based on them. Laufey 'the weak and slender for a giant) being Fey and Farbauti the cruel/dangerous striker in Norse being Kratos: the personification of power in Greece. We don't know the fate of Farbauti so it can be anyhting in future games or he may be called by other names when he visitis other cultures. Another interesting thing is Loki has two brothers called Helblindi and Byleistr and none one knows for sure if they are his true brothers . They may be from his mother's side before knowing Kratos. This could give interesting ideas for the sequels.

So a giant misdirection? Perhaps it's Thor or Odin?

Yeah. He may be Odin. he looks older than Kratos tbh. dunno but he looks like missing the eye he gave to Mimir.

Edit: Ok the mural at 1:47 shows Kratos wearing the red Greek skirt while the death one shows someone else wearing a green Norse skirt. Totally different. Kratos never ditched his true Greek origins and even the murals depict that. Not Kratos and this is really smart from the team to make us wonder about this and get goosebumps. haha.

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That World Serpent theory just seems dumb and pointless to me. I don't really see any narrative point or significance to it. Like, why would they do something like and what purpose would it serve?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That World Serpent theory just seems dumb and pointless to me. I don't really see any narrative point or significance to it. Like, why would they do something like and what purpose would it serve?

Well the Serpent shouldn't be here anyway. Its born of Loki in the future so it's a part of an upcoming event. It's presence now technically is out of sync with actual Norse mythology and it's mentioned in the game they've had an effect on the natural flow as Ragnarok has arrived early.

Cory mentioned he couldn't answer as its spoilers for the future too so while it may not be correct it seems to have some weight behind it

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well the Serpent shouldn't be here anyway. Its born of Loki in the future so it's a part of an upcoming event. It's presence now technically is out of sync with actual Norse mythology and it's mentioned in the game they've had an effect on the natural flow as Ragnarok has arrived early.

Cory mentioned he couldn't answer as its spoilers for the future too so while it may not be correct it seems to have some weight behind it

Where did Cory talk about all of this? In the Kinda Funny spoiler interview?

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay sure, but I still don't see the logic behind it. I guess they could make it work in a sequel, but feels more just like a neat fan theory that doesn't really fit into anything over any real narrative existence

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where did Cory talk about all of this? In the Kinda Funny spoiler interview?

Yeah. It's really worth checking out. He talks pretty openly to be honest and helps fill in some of the blanks.

Okay sure, but I still don't see the logic behind it. I guess they could make it work in a sequel, but feels more just like a neat fan theory that doesn't really fit into anything over any real narrative existence

To be fair his direct answer at first is it's not Kratos as they've seen each other. It's just the theory they were suggested after from Reddit and the detail made him not want to push on. You're likely right and that it's not actually him but it seems to be tied together somehow that he's not ready to answer yet.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Can someone write down bullet points from Kinda funny interview pretty please? Can't watch it in work, but those points you guys are talking about sounds great. I'm sure there's more.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I just had this weird moment where I was watching the Kinda Funny spoilercast with Barlog where it hit me... Kratos, Atreus, and all those characters are just pixels.

It's going to sound ridiculous but when I was playing that story, they felt very real. Both through their writing and the graphics, I had this odd disconnect where I no longer viewed Kratos as a goofy PlayStation mascot but as someone with layers and depth. Again, I know it sounds stupid and I'm usually not the one to say these really pretentious things but I think that's just a testament to how great this game is.
Didn't Mimir say the world serpent got knocked back in time from a fight?
Correct. If you're going where I think you're going, we went down this rabbit hole earlier today.

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks Atreus went asshole because he was drunk off (probably spoiled) Lemnosian wine?

We've all committed deicide and/or shot our fathers while under the influence, don't lie.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. It's really worth checking out. He talks pretty openly to be honest and helps fill in some of the blanks.

To be fair his direct answer at first is it's not Kratos as they've seen each other. It's just the theory they were suggested after from Reddit and the detail made him not want to push on. You're likely right and that it's not actually him but it seems to be tied together somehow that he's not ready to answer yet.

Do you have a link for that reddit thread please?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
So...

I ended up doing Sutr's Hidden Trials twice. Got Gold on my first run and Silver on my second. I also did the entire Niflheim quest line. That means opening and defeating all there realm tears and opening all of the chests.

The result?

qmJjCjf.jpg

9enZCCT.jpg

I put the absolute highest level enchantments on and just managed to hit level 9. I'm missing just a few materials to make my chest level 8.

Sigrun is still ball bustingly hard but I think I'll be able to manage.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Asgard in the sequel is going to be insane.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone write down bullet points from Kinda funny interview pretty please? Can't watch it in work, but those points you guys are talking about sounds great. I'm sure there's more.
Too lazy myself to make the bullet points, but one of the major things he mentioned is that fact that Loki being the god of mischief doesn't align with the current personality/character of Atreus so perhaps things will happen in the near future that will lead him into that sorta role.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just had this weird moment where I was watching the Kinda Funny spoilercast with Barlog where it hit me... Kratos, Atreus, and all those characters are just pixels.

It's going to sound ridiculous but when I was playing that story, they felt very real. Both through their writing and the graphics, I had this odd disconnect where I no longer viewed Kratos as a goofy PlayStation mascot but as someone with layers and depth. Again, I know it sounds stupid and I'm usually not the one to say these really pretentious things but I think that's just a testament to how great this game is.

Correct. If you're going where I think you're going, we went down this rabbit hole earlier today.
That's the mark of a good story. The characters are actors in costume and dialogue off a script, or words on a page, or pixels on a screen, but they can feel alive with nuance and a story that gets you invested in them

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Too lazy myself to make the bullet points, but one of the major things he mentioned is that fact that Loki being the god of mischief doesn't align with the current personality/character of Atreus so perhaps things will happen in the near future that will lead him into that sorta role.
Thanks. I wonder what pushes him in that direction. I sure as hell hope NOT Kratos's death.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Kratos is the World Serpent and its born at Kratos death as depicted and cast back in time. This explains the red and white scales and the beard, plus Cory actually mentioned that in its language the snake is surprised to see you both there when it first meets you.

It may also explain the hate for Thor as it seems a hammer is buried in Kratos head at death which sets Atreus on the path to become Loki too.

Don't forget the game logo is also the world serpent.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Valkyries. Climbed all the way up doing challenges that ran for too long or were just plain annoying just to get to a fight where I am unable to pick up health effectively to a super fast, dive from the sky asshole fucking me over. Gonna have to come back here later. I can't consistently dodge everything she is doing. My damage output is okay for the fight but I clearly can't pull this fight off with my defense unfortunately. Quitting this realm for now then

I have no idea when to time the dodge to escape her from above.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm really not sure on right now is why Hel is here. World Serpent has an explanation of being knocked back in time but the giant bird, Hel, is also supposedly born of Loki.

Soundwind

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Apr 13, 2018
https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...-doesnt-entirely-solve-the-kratos-proble.html

"The story's biggest problem is that it attempts something that can't really be done. It tries to rehabilitate that which cannot be rehabilitated. This Kratos is the same Kratos who was pure animal lust for a half-dozen games, driven solely to kill or sleep with every living creature he came across. This is the same Kratos who seemingly rescued a woman in God of War III (a half-naked sex slave, of course) only to use her to prop open a massive stone wheel that promptly crushed her into a bloody pulp. (For killing her like that the game gave you a PSN trophy with ridiculous sexual innuendo for a name.) This character and this series will always be associated with the embarrassing, nu-metal anger that used to define it. The Kratos of God of War is rightfully ashamed of his past, and although the game tries to redeem him in both his eyes and the eyes of the player, that past is as inescapable for us as it is Kratos. There will clearly be more God of War in the future, and the best thing for that future would be to focus more and more on Atreus. Kratos can't make up for what he's done—for what we, as players, have had to make him do—but in his son both he and God of War can find their ultimate redemption."

thoughts?

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of how much additional character development happens post game. Kratos just said Atreus fought well and BOY was really pleased. Their relationship appropriately continues to grow well after the credits. The number of great, small things in this game is endlessly impressive.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...-doesnt-entirely-solve-the-kratos-proble.html

"The story's biggest problem is that it attempts something that can't really be done. It tries to rehabilitate that which cannot be rehabilitated. This Kratos is the same Kratos who was pure animal lust for a half-dozen games, driven solely to kill or sleep with every living creature he came across. This is the same Kratos who seemingly rescued a woman in God of War III (a half-naked sex slave, of course) only to use her to prop open a massive stone wheel that promptly crushed her into a bloody pulp. (For killing her like that the game gave you a PSN trophy with ridiculous sexual innuendo for a name.) This character and this series will always be associated with the embarrassing, nu-metal anger that used to define it. The Kratos of God of War is rightfully ashamed of his past, and although the game tries to redeem him in both his eyes and the eyes of the player, that past is as inescapable for us as it is Kratos. There will clearly be more God of War in the future, and the best thing for that future would be to focus more and more on Atreus. Kratos can't make up for what he's done—for what we, as players, have had to make him do—but in his son both he and God of War can find their ultimate redemption."

thoughts?

The story attempts and succeeds in it. The whole point is that it recognises that you can't run from your past, but at the same time, that the past doesn't necessarily need to shape your future or stop you from positive change. Personalities and people can and do rehabilitate and change, or in the case of Kratos, find value and importance in something greater than oneself, that is, his son. His son allows him to look at the world, his past and himself in a different perspective, and reflect on the awful things he's done with a new found sense of regret and shame.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

thoughts?

The story attempts and succeeds in it. The whole point is that it recognises that you can't run from your past, but at the same time, that the past doesn't necessarily need to shape your future or stop you from positive change. Personalities and people can and do rehabilitate and change, or in the case of Kratos, find value and importance in something greater than oneself, that is, his son. His son allows him to look at the world, his past and himself in a different perspective, and reflect on the awful things he's done with a new found sense of regret and shame.

You still didn't get? This just a stealth wish to get rid of Kratos by getting him dead or introduce another character and many wished that starting from this game, or even stop GOW games to start with.No need for some to turn around in circles. They need to just say it explicitely.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
This too.

Remember the paintings in God of War 2, the room with the threads of time and the past, present, and future paintings, with the Three Wise Men and the crazy theories surrounding it.

It's a matter of what happens during development and how the project evolves.
Didn't Jaffe want GoW III to end with everyone dying this the death of mythology and it ending with the the three wise men going to visit Jesus? Maybe it was foreshadowing of an abandoned plot.

Also keep in mind GoW1 ends with a slide show of the future including World War I and stealth bombers. This happened.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Jaffe want GoW III to end with everyone dying this the death of mythology and it ending with the the three wise men going to visit Jesus? Maybe it was foreshadowing of an abandoned plot.

Also keep in mind GoW1 ends with a slide show of the future including World War I and stealth bombers. This happened.
Not to mention this

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
God, that fucking final scene. GOD.

Never played a God of War game before and now I feel like every day of my life there's not a sequel to this is agony.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck Valkyries. Climbed all the way up doing challenges that ran for too long or were just plain annoying just to get to a fight where I am unable to pick up health effectively to a super fast, dive from the sky asshole fucking me over. Gonna have to come back here later. I can't consistently dodge everything she is doing. My damage output is okay for the fight but I clearly can't pull this fight off with my defense unfortunately. Quitting this realm for now then

I have no idea when to time the dodge to escape her from above.

Depending on the difficulty Defense won't change much
The Valkyrie Fights are mainly about learning their skillsets and dodging them going directly into a counter attack.
You better "waste" the time here and learn how to recognize&dodge it or you may have problems against the Queen later because she is using the skillset of all Valkyries and her own and is able to chain them.

I just did this trial.

All I did was getting atreus to shoot them with light arrows till I can instant kill them.

I think for that reason Atreus is Gift and Curse at the same time
Its nice to have a useful Sidekick that can cheese every encounter on his own for you but at the same time thanks to that you get people saying the God of War Combat System is crap even though its easily on of the best ever created once you look into it.
Mainly all because what they do is running away and spamming arrows and some even calling it the "intended way to beat things"

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the difficulty Defense won't change much
The Valkyrie Fights are mainly about learning their skillsets and dodging them going directly into a counter attack.
You better "waste" the time here and learn how to recognize&dodge it or you may have problems against the Queen later because she is using the skillset of all Valkyries and her own and is able to chain them.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like the queen might be a provlpr later. I'm on normal difficulty and this is my second valkyrie. She seems so much tougher than the one I fought previously. Guess I better go back to the realm and go back up the mountain to understand the done attack. The others I can manage with for the most part.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
God, that fucking final scene. GOD.

Never played a God of War game before and now I feel like every day of my life there's not a sequel to this is agony.
Did the story and Kratos resonant with you as much without having played the games before? Like the whole return home/Athena/blades reveal moment, or the references to Zeus and God of War 3 events, etc.

Scissors611

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
How is no one pissed about the fact that we did not even get to see how Kratos got from the end of god of war 3 to this new iteration?

Also most bosses were reskinned and the main bosses were nowhere near the awesome level of any of the previous games?! How out of touch am I? I surely am not that hard to please.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
So if the World Serpent is from the future then why does he only know a dead language? One of the dead spirits comments on the WS first appearance and we understand him just fine.

My thinking about this was (with the whole serpent being knocked-back-in-time thing going on), Jörmungandr knows the language due to a time paradox type of situation: Atreus learns the language from speaking with the snake, but the snake knows the language because future Atreus, his father, teaches it to him.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
How is no one pissed about the fact that we did not even get to see how Kratos got from the end of god of war 3 to this new iteration?

Also most bosses were reskinned and the main bosses were nowhere near the awesome level of any of the previous games?! How out of touch am I? I surely am not that hard to please.

No not really. They went back to God of War 1 boss structure instead of 2 or 3. Makes sense because why would all the gods start coming to Kratos's house and pester him? No one knows of him until this game is done. Baldur Came looking for Kratos's Wife and just happened to find Kratos. The bosses were fine to me, I think people hyped themselves way to far and thought we would get God of War 3 level crazy right off the bat but you don't get God of War 3 level crazy without the right build up of the conflict and this game set all the right ground work for alot of shit to go down.

Skagulis

Oct 27, 2017
So, are Ancients random? I've only killed 4 of 6 for the labor, and I don't have enough materials to make the last armor piece. Also I've killed 9 of 10 trolls, any idea where the last one is?