• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about Baldur? What about Odin?

Listen to Mimir's stories in the boat. Odin sounds like a great villain, and I like Baldur as a villain plenty. I don't think Thor and Odin were meant to be much of a thing this game.
I like baldur so far. Upham made a good God haha. But I didn't like Thors two son. Funny all the 3 people that survive Ragnarok is now dead lol. And yes I like the backstory they gave for Odin so far based on mimirs story. But too Zeus for me. Not that different.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game and watched the final scene before the credits started rolling. Not the credits at the end of the land of the giants, the credits after you get back home.

That ending revaluation with who Atreus really is and the context of everything going on which is opposite of what's the norm Marvel has me feeling about Norse had me shook. This story is too damn good.

I know Cory wants to work on a original IP but man would I love it if he directed the sequels to this game. The man made the only two God of War games I played and beat.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Finally beat God of War, and Man, was this a good ass game. A couple thoughts.
  • The Opening Intro chapter with the Baldur fight and The Blades of Chaos/Athena reveal we're godlike. It honestly has me re watching it a couple times. Kinda wished we could of seen EZA's Micheal Huber's reaction.
  • The combat here plays great and is up there with my combat favorites in BloodBorne & Nioh. I always appreciate it when combat eventually becomes a matter of execution and not mashin all the time.
  • The Soundtrack that Bear McCreary composed is so damn good that it had me thinking the movie Gladiator with Russel Crowe and Whenever the woman's vocals comes in, I instantly get MGS: Snake Eater vibes especially in the intro when Kratos carries his wife through the door.
  • It sorta sucks that I've become a little numb to the graphics considering I've played Uncharted 4 & Horizon:Zero Dawn recently but this game just has a phenomenal art direction that elevates everything, I especially loved the views in all the Dragons areas.
  • Coming from playing GoW 2 & 3, and man, is the dialogue is massively better. Atreus & Mimir add so much to the journey I'm expecting them to stick around as main stays of the franchise.
  • It was kinda amusing to find out that the Magni and Modi brothers are voiced by the Drake brothers, Troy Baker & Nolan North.
  • That final panel that Kratos sees in the mountain that depicts what looks like a dying Kratos lying on a young Atreus's arms then he mentions to Atreus that this is his story then the Loki name reveal, aw shiiiit.
  • Thinking along those lines with the mentions of Time Travel & Fate and I couldn't help thinking GoW 2's plot with killing Fate Sisters & Time Traveling back to fight Zeus. Made me think that during the scene where Atreus was sick, the one who blew the horn might be future Atreus/Loki time traveling back to see the World Serpent for answers. Just imagine like a dramatic scene with an older Atreus/Loki overlooking the lake as Kratos rows away with his sick younger self. Man there so much room they could do here.
Just so damn excited to see where the sequel goes, and it's God of War, of all games to be excited for story wise. I hope Cory directs it over a new ip but as long as Cory around the studio then I guess I wouldn't mind too much if someone new stepped in for the sequel.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's the formula they follow to write God characters in SSM. They can't write villains other than them being "EVIL."

It kind of kills the point of the story if there are good gods. Tyr is like the one and only example of a good god and he's gone. The entire point of the main quest is Kratos trying to teach Atreus that he should choose to be the good god.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the writers were already going in the right direction for the sequel before they focused on the father/son story.

SSM have lots of talent and while Cory has done great here I'm sure they can do fine anyway if he'd rather work on a different project.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
After the blade of chaos reveal and Dad and son going back to the mimir mountain peak, the story went flat........ I was going to call 'that was underwhelming'...... Then the kid revealed as Loki! That is cool.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I haven't kept up with the discussions but I was just wondering what the raven in Helheim was suppose to represent? Aside from standing around and watching everything, and getting uncomfortably close and interested in what's happening on the flying boat nobody even acknowledges it (unless they did and I missed it.)

Also the idea that all mythologies of every culture is happening (or seemingly ending?) at the same time creates an interesting universe.

I also beat the game on Give Me God of War, and holy crap what an experience. The first 10 hours were extremely difficult, it eventually evened out but I never felt like I was dominating much. I still have 5 Valkyrie to fight and Niflheim/Muspelheim to work through. This is not going to be an easy clean up!

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with the discussions but I was just wondering what the raven in Helheim was suppose to represent? Aside from standing around and watching everything, and getting uncomfortably close and interested in what's happening on the flying boat nobody even acknowledges it (unless they did and I missed it.)

Haven't reached Helheim yet, but I would hazard a guess that the raven might be Hugin or Munin, Odin's ravens.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Who said the combat system isn't as dynamic or versatile or doesn't allow combos like previous games?
From reddit:

lq9jo792gyt01.gif

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cory Barlog was asked about DLC and although he said the game has everything they wanted to include that he would like to "continue supporting" the game and mentioned potentially adding a new game plus mode.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He mentioned in the Kinda Funny podcast that he's currently working on the script at least.
He did also say in skill ups video that he wants to work on an original project next tho so who knows. Guy deserves whatever he wants after this as far as I'm concerned even if for selfish reasons o hope it's god of war 2.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, this Kratos/World Serpent theory is nuts. Kinda Funny spoilercast is the first time I came across it.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the blade of chaos reveal and Dad and son going back to the mimir mountain peak, the story went flat........ I was going to call 'that was underwhelming'...... Then the kid revealed as Loki! That is cool.

You didn't like "little shit" Atreus?

Here you have Kratos. The God of War, killer of Gods, killer of his family, and Destroyer of his world.

Now here you have Kratos biting his lip as his 10 year old son acts like a little shit and gives him a attitude after finding out he was a god. I found this funny as hell and it really showed how Kratos grew up since killing everybody.

I loved this part of the game. I found it funny.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So I am up to the part where you have to break the ice but dropping the hammer and based on the stories mimir told so far thor is really evil in this game. Even his two sons are straight up B movie evil. I wish god of war writers learned how to write villains. The story in this is 10000x times better than the last 3 and kratos is no longer a garbage character. But their villains are still the same from what I see so far.
Eh, Magni and Modi serve their purpose. They're not really supposed to be complex main villains

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Also, interesting video.

Ok Ok the mural around 1;40 in that video shows Baldur and Kratos fighting and Bladur is written and Kratos is called Farbauti like I said here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...beware-of-spoilers.31837/page-45#post-7063523

Edit: Huhhhhh! Look closely at 3;17. This is the first time I saw it very closely. Both kratos and Atreus look older on that mural. Kratos has whiter beard and Atreus has a teenager/adult body.

Last edited:

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
People are complaining about the writing around the villains but... Odin's motivations are explained and they're not pure evil. Baldur's motivations are explained and they're not pure evil. Magni and Modi's motivations are subordinate to his, but they are ultimately grunts without any purpose of their own. Freya will certainly be a primary antagonist in the sequel, and her motivations are not evil.

Thor is the closest thing to pure evil I can see, but I also didn't dig into the lore as much as other people.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That Kratos is the World Serpent and its born at Kratos death as depicted and cast back in time. This explains the red and white scales and the beard, plus Cory actually mentioned that in its language the snake is surprised to see you both there when it first meets you.

It may also explain the hate for Thor as it seems a hammer is buried in Kratos head at death which sets Atreus on the path to become Loki too.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those who are at the endgame, what sources of hacksilver have you found? I'm getting plenty of mist in Neflheim, but my base resource is getting a little thin.

I haven't done all of Muspelhiem yet, does that scale up to give serious hacksilver?

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
That Kratos is the World Serpent and its born at Kratos death as depicted and cast back in time. This explains the red and white scales and the beard, plus Cory actually mentioned that in its language the snake is surprised to see you both there when it first meets you.

It may also explain the hate for Thor as it seems a hammer is buried in Kratos head.
Mind blown!!! Thanks for the info.

Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It may also explain the hate for Thor as it seems a hammer is buried in Kratos head at death which sets Atreus on the path to become Loki too.
That is wild