• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I want to end up fighting Fenrir, Nidhoggr, Naasdruuge, Surtr.......hnggggggggggggggggg

I hope you meet the rest on the Vanir like Njord, and Freyr. God dayum there is just so much they can pull from. Bring on Ragnarok baby.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I thought this was them but didn't see their names in the starting credits: Nolan North and Troy Baker play Modi and Magni. Nolan has a distinct voice that you can always hear a bit of in every one of his characters.

Oh brother just you wait.
I recognised Troy Baker, too. Always can (unless it's his Joker), tired of hearing the dude. Thought he might be Thor at first.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The dwarves measuring Mimir
Tyr in general (Mayan, Egyptian Asian exploration)
Mysterious horn usage
Loki having some grecian god powers is hinted at. He has a burst of Spartan Rage at one point and all the lightning starts while he is yelling at sindri it's possible he inherited Zeus's powers
3 realms entirely untouched and Valhalla
How the Jotnar died
The Dark elves saying we took the wrong side
The cyclical nature of the norse mythos and kratos refusing to let baldur kill freya because "the cycle ends here" Parricide is the driving force behind all of the grecian pantheon
Freya swearing revenge upon you
Thor coming for you at the end of the Fimbulwinter
The last panel of the story of Loki
Loki speaking the same language as the world serpent
Why the Valkyries are imprisoned (odin just causing shit?)
The huge death bird in Hel
Surtr fighting Thor and Odin
I think you forgot: Freya asking Mimir where her fighting spirit is that was taken by Odin when Kratos and Atreus left Mimir in Midgard when they go to Jotunheim (this is told by Mimir after you kill Sigrun the Valkyrie Queen)
Edit: But it also fits into "Freya swearing revenge upon you" more or less...

Last edited:

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just finished the game. What an absolute incredible experience. Loved literally everything about it. The combat feels amazing, having played on hard difficulty. The story and characters are an amazing improvement upon the preceding games, and I loved experiencing this world after having read that Gaiman book on Norse mythology. The lore and world building felt interesting as well, and the changes they made felt logical to me. The way they inserted Kratos into the lore also feels like it's setting us up for something amazing down the line. Have they talked about a sequel yet?

Definitely going to be platinuming this game. I'm going through Niflheim right now, and sticking with hard difficulty. Once I have my 4K/HDR TV, I'm definitely revisiting this game on the hardest difficulty.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
So if the World Serpent is from the future then why does he only know a dead language? One of the dead spirits comments on the WS first appearance and we understand him just fine.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Loki catches Fenrir I dont think theyd have any reason to fight. Surtr and Nidhogg I can see.

I feel like what would be awesome is if something happens to Atroki that makes Kratos want to kill Odin, BUT Fenrir is the one that kills Odin during Ragnarok. Kratos wants to kill Odin himself and must fight Fenrir in order to get his prized kill. His rage takes over and he kills a 'friend' showing that Kratos is still capable of killing those that are undeserving.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Kratos, Atreus and Mimir repeatedly said fate is never written down 100% and everybody can change it, yet people here constantly refers to Ragnorok as we know it from mythology. Imo it's crystal clear this version of it will be pretty different.

Thor won't be killed by serpent and Odin by fenrir. Kratos and Loki will wreck them both.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos, Atreus and Mimir repeatedly said fate is never written down 100% and everybody can change it, yet people here constantly refers to Ragnorok as we know it from mythology. Imo it's crystal clear this version of it will be pretty different.

Thor won't be killed by serpent and Odin by fenrir. Kratos and Loki will wreck them both.

Exactly. How cool would it be to have Fenrir about to kill Odin but Kratos steals the kill essentially. That'd be awesome.

Also, where did the serpent go? I saw parts of him near Fafnir's Storeroom but nowhere else.

YEAH! What the fuck was that bird in Helheim? I kept saying to myself, you can't tease something like that and not have me kill it.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Because despite what they say
How things actually play out mirrors the mythology

Either way, who cares if someone elses theory doesnt match yours. Unless youre on the writing team nothing is 100% clear and no ones speculation is any less valid than someone elses because it doesnt have your favored outcome.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Because despite what they say
How things actually play out mirrors the mythology

Either way, who cares if someone elses theory doesnt match yours. Unless youre on the writing team nothing is 100% clear and no ones speculation is any less valid than someone elses because it doesnt have your favored outcome.

Who do you think's going to take down Odin? Also, I don't think anyone's making theories, just what they hope to see. That's what I'm doing :D

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kratos wont be the one to take down Odin
I would prefer if Atreus found a way to unite other forces to defeat Odin, thus fulfilling the promise of this game's narrative, but I could also see Odin being Kratos's final opponent. This is still a game, after all, and I highly doubt Odin and Thor will meet their ends without first being boss fights.

The only thing I absolutely can't stand the thought of is a playable Atreus fighting either of them. I'd hate to see the character grow up to be anything close to Kratos in any manner.

Also note... Fenrir is a wolf born from Loki... and Atreus wanted to transform into a wolf (and has a great fondness for them throughout the game).

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Fantastic game! Just some thoughts:

Boss fights: Most were just OK, some were really good. I want more interactivity (like the final fight), how cool would it have been scaling/fighting on a dragon when you're fighting baldur for a second time.

More bosses would have been welcome. Fair enough not wanting to use more of the pantheon etc, but lol that hell's keeper was just a troll. Talking about trolls, there were a lot of them.

I have yet to dabble in the whole Valkyrie thing, but the one I did beat was a really cool fight. Are they all the same? Hope not...

Personally think the game ended decently, but there is so much more that I wanted to see or was hoping to see. But maybe that's just the game being so great: I can't get enough. I'm already craving some more GoW.

The whole Blades of Chaos reveal was amazing! The whole buildup got me so giddy and hyped, and it didn't disappoint. Saying that, I really really like the Axe, it's one cool ass weapon and may have dethroned the blades (soz)

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Who do you think's going to take down Odin? Also, I don't think anyone's making theories, just what they hope to see.
Personally. I think this trilogy will be Atreus' story. I dont think it would be right for Kratos to stumble into another world and murder another pantheon of gods just because. Loki should be the central character and as a result I feel he should be the one to do it, that being said Id imagine it would also be a combined effort between a few entities. But for gameplay and story reasons Loki does it. I dont see or really want Kratos to continue being a central character in a story that isnt really his own. He doesnt have to die but it would be the most logical way for him to not be the driving force.

Yeah let's completely forgot Kratos's actions fast forwarded Ragnarok by hundred years...

Why do you care that my theory doesnt match yours?
Im not on the writing team, i have no control over the story. Were all here speculating on the same thing. No need to take it so personally.

Kaotic

Oct 23, 2017
New York
Exactly. How cool would it be to have Fenrir about to kill Odin but Kratos steals the kill essentially. That'd be awesome.

Also, where did the serpent go? I saw parts of him near Fafnir's Storeroom but nowhere else.

YEAH! What the fuck was that bird in Helheim? I kept saying to myself, you can't tease something like that and not have me kill it.

Isn't the serpent gone because Ragnarok is about to start? The myth says the serpent will leave the sea and poison the skies and fight Thor. I figured that was why he wasn't there anymore once you finish the game.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I wonder how they will deal with Atreus growing up in the sequels. He will most likely be in his late teens at least and I will miss calling him Boy.

Also, I cannot wait until they let us use Thor's hammer. That's going to be incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
Earlier in the thread, I mentioned some questions I had about Kratos's "...but I am your monster no longer..." line, and some folks responded:
"I know"

(He accepts that he is a person who has done terrible things and is capable of terrible things and that he can't change that. )

"....but I am your monster no longer"

(As he is no longer of the pawn of the gods driven by his rage against them, their manipulations and machinations. That was the implication I got from that)
My interpretation for the dialog between Kratos and Athena is that he is taking responsibility over his deeds and his fate. The "your" isn't directed at her, in specific, but merely serves as opposition to "mine".

Kratos is his own monster, now.
Yeah I took that statement as being directed towards "the Gods," not Athena specifically.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking that perhaps if that particular line from Kratos in the new game ("...but I am your monster no longer...") had instead occurred during the ending of GoW 3, right before Kratos refused Athena's request, it would make a bit more sense in that particular moment/context, as an emphatic rejection of any type of subordination (of his own / 'true' self): subordination either to the will of the gods (taken as a whole) or to his own rage, since he was at that moment being faced with a new request from a god. In the new game, after having already delivered that emphatic, dramatic, decisive, fateful rejection of Athena's final request thousands of years ago, it does seem slightly less fitting; but as you guys suggest, it helps if one thinks of that remark as being directed towards the gods as a whole, rather than Athena in particular.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Was just looking at IMDB.

Mimir is Senator "Nanomachines Son" Armstrong in Metal Gear!?

I thought this game couldnt be better...

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It seems like bosses have new attacks too on the hardest difficulty, the two trolls I've fought so far did moves I haven't seen before.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
LOL WTF. I just went home to look at it and thought "Oh you can sleep a bit, neat" and suddenly that cutscene starts, wtf.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. The opening fight with Conor McGregor is great and then the game went pretty flat for me until you get the Blades back, that was easily the best part of the game for me. It had me choking back tears. I didn't expect it to be this emotional.

Valkyries were great. But for a goddess of fertility, Freya doesn't seem to be that fertile...

Playing this I kept thinking about Game of Thrones. The snowy area, some enemies look exactly like White Walker lol. Thor looks like Ned Stark.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For me, the weakeast part of the game easily was the battle against the two gods.

Of all awesome fights we have in this, it feel it belongs to a different game

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some of y'all are jumping to conclusions regarding Freya.

She heard every word Kratos said to Atreus about how he doesn't want his son making the mistakes he made and then she just kind of walked away remorsefully.

The weird conversation she had with Mimir about getting her Valkyrie wings back, she didn't even specify why she wanted them. It could be to help Kratos. I think they intentionally left it open because she'll be more complex than just a vengeance machine.

She won't just be another god that Kratos has to plow through. There will be more development on her.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Personally. I think this trilogy will be Atreus' story. I dont think it would be right for Kratos to stumble into another world and murder another pantheon of gods just because. Loki should be the central character and as a result I feel he should be the one to do it, that being said Id imagine it would also be a combined effort between a few entities. But for gameplay and story reasons Loki does it. I dont see or really want Kratos to continue being a central character in a story that isnt really his own. He doesnt have to die but it would be the most logical way for him to not be the driving force.

Hm. That'd be interesting though I think that as of right now Kratos already has enough reason to be angry at the Gods. I don't think it'll be "just because". I don't think any other God or godlike creature he fights will be "just because". I don't meant to insult you, I just found that part rather interesting because he has more than enough reason to be angry ya know? I definitely think this is Atreus' story if coming to terms with him being a God and Kratos teaching him based off of what he did and what he shouldn't have done. It's a great tale...I'm pumped to see where it leads because you have two overarching stories colliding. One is growing and one is faulty.

Isn't the serpent gone because Ragnarok is about to start? The myth says the serpent will leave the sea and poison the skies and fight Thor. I figured that was why he wasn't there anymore once you finish the game.

The thing is, he's still visible. Just not around the lake. He's probably swallowing the giant right now lol Wouldn't that be amazing? Mimir in the sequel or whatever is like "Remember that giant laddie? Remember how he got eaten by the serpent? Well you're not going to like this but..." and then you have to explore the body of the giant inside the serpent. LOL.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to be honest the game doesn't seem really great until you get the Blades of Chaos. The axe is largely a single-target close-range weapon and just doesn't seem all that well suited to the kinds of combat scenarios the designers put in the game. I never stopped using the Blades except when you're effectively forced to by having to face fire-type enemies. Maybe someone smarter and better than I am can make a good case for the axe, but by and large I don't see the point in using it most of the time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos says how no fate is set in stone. Mimir says Odin would probably disagree with him on that and is doing everything in his power to control the outcome of Ragnarok

Soundwind

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Apr 13, 2018
is it possible that Kratos' spartan army is in Valhalla waiting for him

:)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to be honest the game doesn't seem really great until you get the Blades of Chaos. The axe is largely a single-target close-range weapon and just doesn't seem all that well suited to the kinds of combat scenarios the designers put in the game. I never stopped using the Blades except when you're effectively forced to by having to face fire-type enemies.
The axe never stops being useful due to its ability to freeze enemies, trip them (especially useful with an upgraded Atreus) and get headshots, has a further range than the blades, has the cleave and powerful ranged runic attacks

The axe and blade synergize nicely

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The axe never stops being useful due to its ability to freeze enemies, trip them (especially useful with an upgraded Atreus) and get headshots, has a further range than the blades, has the cleave and powerful ranged runic attacks
My main complaint is that the best things the axe does (freeze, pop up for air juggles) often don't even work on heavy enemy types. I tried tossing it at the heavy flying fairy-elf things in the final combat scenario at the end of the game, and the axe just bounced off them. If the axe worked as advertised all the time I might have given it more of a shot. Problem is I'd rather just have the range and crowd control capabilities that the Blades give.

Oct 26, 2017
This game's understanding of domestic violence is really strange...

-Freya tortures and abuses Baldur for a hundred years.
-Baldur goes insane and starts killing random people and being a Kratos stand-in from the prior games.
-Baldur tries to kill Freya
-Kratos kills Baldur even though Freya begs him not too.

I dislike that Kratos killing Baldur is framed heroically... Killing an abuser against the wishes of the person he abused (in the frame of Baldur as the abuser which is highly questionable) is just removing all agency from the abused and is pretty bad... Killing the abused for trying to kill their abuser is even worse.

The game has Kratos transforming into a less terrible person (off-screen transformation mostly but still) but then it's like "Kratos killing Baldur is very good"

My uncle is a domestic abuser and I've wanted to kill him in my life, but his wife doesn't want him to be killed or imprisoned because she still has feelings for him and to kill him would be to want to sate my desire for vengeance and blood instead of caring about what she (the abused) actually wants)

(note that this is not the case for other forms of domestic violence. I have relatives who receive texts from abusers threatening to kill themselves because they think it will make the abused feel bad... And some of the abused relatives I have REALLY want their abusers to please kill themselves and how that would be really nice. But Freya, even in the framed of being abused which again is really questionable, is someone more similar to my uncle's wife).

Those are my thoughts as someone who has gone through a lot of domestic violence experiences (second-hand) in my life and as someone whose parents bullied me and caused my suicidal depression (which made this plot line shockingly close to my actual life so I would have liked to be handled perfectly or... at least not badly).