• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's part of Norse lore — Baldur is weak against mistletoe. The details of why I'm still not entirely sure on.

In the myth, Freya went to every creature in the universe to ask that they not harm Baldur except for Mistletoe because she felt it was harmless. Loki kills Baldur by having him duel his blind brother who uses a mistletoe coated spear.

The details in game aren't as clear though.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of the bad thing about knowing these mythos beforehand is that you can see shit coming from a mile away

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly what I was thinking the entire time during that phase of the story

It's part of Norse lore — Baldur is weak against mistletoe. The details of why I'm still not entirely sure on.
Because Freya (I think?) Asked everything not to hurt Baldr. But she thought mistletoe was too weak to bother asking. Loki then went to the mistletoe, talked to it or something then threw it at Baldr to show Freya the mistake she had made

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of the bad thing about knowing these mythos beforehand is that you can see shit coming from a mile away

A little bit, the details surrounding Faye and Kratos are quite clever usages for example and Atreus being Loki is a pretty good twist because he still does end up using mistletoe on Baldur, leading to his death. I like the little twist on things here.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Basically Odin heard a prophecy which said something bad would befall his son. Frigg (Baldur's mother in Norse lore) became so fearful that she went throughout the cosmos and got a promise from all things not to harm Baldur, except for the mistletoe, which she did not think would be harmful in any way. The other gods used his invulnerability to tease him, throwing pretty much everything they could think of at him. But Loki learned of his only weakness and tricked the blind god Hodr into shooting Baldur with a twig of mistletoe, which killed him.

After that, when they wanted to bring Baldur back from Hel, they were told that if they got permission from every living thing in the world, they could bring him back. Everyone but a giantess called Þökk (which means Thanks by the way) said yes, so Baldur did not come back from the underworld until Ragnarok. Unknown to everyone else, however, Þökk was actually Loki in disguise.

Loki was an asshole. I hope he pops up in God of War in the future.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Because Freya (I think?) Asked everything not to hurt Baldr. But she thought mistletoe was too weak to bother asking. Loki then went to the mistletoe, talked to it or something then threw it at Baldr to show Freya the mistake she had made

Ah, wait, now I remember, Loki asked Baldur's Blind Brother to throw mistletoe because they were testing the extent of Baldur's invulnerability.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Basically Odin heard a prophecy which said something bad would befall his son. Frigg (Baldur's mother in Norse lore) became so fearful that she went throughout the cosmos and got a promise from all things not to harm Baldur, except for the mistletoe, which she did not think would be harmful in any way. The other gods used his invulnerability to tease him, throwing pretty much everything they could think of at him. But Loki learned of his only weakness and tricked the blind god Hodr into shooting Baldur with a twig of mistletoe, which killed him.

After that, when they wanted to bring Baldur back from Hel, they were told that if they got permission from every living thing in the world, they could bring him back. Everyone but a giantess called Þökk (which means Thanks by the way) said yes, so Baldur did not come back from the underworld until Ragnarok. Unknown to everyone else, however, Þökk was actually Loki in disguise.

Loki was an asshole. I hope he pops up in God of War in the future.

wat

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the post credits now - one of the best games ever. I did wish they changed up the Atreus model after "years later"... unless gods don't grow old as fast

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think he's referring to Asshole loki, Atreus isn't really an ass yet. Yet.

Ah okay, that makes sense. We can already see signs of Atreus being a bit of an ass though!

Watching the post credits now - one of the best games ever. I did wish they changed up the Atreus model after "years later"... unless gods don't grow old as fast

Probably a budget/time issue more than anything, not worth creating a new model for 30 seconds of cut scene is my guess. I definitely think Atreus will be a teenager in the next iteration, visibly so.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, wait, now I remember, Loki asked Baldur's Blind Brother to throw mistletoe because they were testing the extent of Baldur's invulnerability.
Yeah thats more or less what I heard. I listened to a podcast earlier that said the gods liked to throw stuff at Baldur for fun since he couldn't be hurt by anything and Loki got his brother to throw the sphere of mistletoe at him, killing him.

That dragon fight was epic,i hope there more boss battles like this.
There are not.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how shattered Kratos felt when he realized that everything he has done actually WAS his fate?

edit: Also! regarding the mural at the end, hidden by the drape, there is a giant art that you can find that talks about a giant huntress who is with her father when he dies, and the pose they're in is the exact same kind of pose Kratos/Atreus are in.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see it coming. Loved it when Atreus got punched for the quiver thing from way back to come back in and pay off in such a big way
This is exactly what I was thinking the entire time during that phase of the story

The whole time I was wondering why Freya missed the large piece of mistletoe on the kid's chest then the Baldur fight happened. I liked how most of the characters' actions were made significant but this one seemed like clumsy writing.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions regarding Freya and the next game. Sure she said she'll have vengeance, and maybe Santa Monica will go that route, but she's also a smart woman, and the last we see her walking away from Kratos and Atreus felt a little remorseful as if she understood or at least would come around.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions regarding Freya and the next game. Sure she said she'll have vengeance, and maybe Santa Monica will go that route, but she's also a smart woman, and the last we see her walking away from Kratos and Atreus felt a little remorseful as if she understood or at least would come around.

She could play a role in Kratos' death, even.

But I think there's a higher chance of her coming around.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
So they really didn't even try to explain how all these different mythologies can even co-exist, or I didn't see it. I thought for sure we were going to be in some alt-universe or something by the end.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Totally could see this as having part 2 of this trilogy being the death of Kratos/Realization of Loki. You'll see the ending coming a mile away but the details and the hows/whys makes it compelling.

And then part 3 being Ragnarök with just Loki as the main. God... this could be amazing.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So they really didn't even try to explain how all these different mythologies can even co-exist, or I didn't see it. I thought for sure we were going to be in some alt-universe or something by the end.
Gods are just superpowered individuals. Every land has their own gods. Most superpowered people become assholes. What's there to explain?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God these Valkyr fights are so fucking aggravating. Geirdriful has the magic health pixel bullshit cranked to eleven. Finally got her, but jeez.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do they explain whats so bad about the green arrows?

In the book , Baldur's mother Freya goes to every thing(plants, animal,rock,poison etc) and asked to never hurt or damage Baldur, thus granting him invulnerability. But she left to ask a small twig/creeper (mistletoe) which was hanging from a tree as it was very small and looks harmless to her. which is why its the only thing Baldur could get hurt.

wait already explain above, my bad.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Gods are just superpowered individuals. Every land has their own gods. Most superpowered people become assholes. What's there to explain?

When the world was getting completely out of whack in GoW3 from killing the gods that control the oceans and the sun etc, that it was just limited to greece then i guess? But it's not just about the gods themselves anyway, there's creation backstory to the world in each of these lores that aren't really compatible, but the story is presenting it all as canon somehow. I'm not a mythological expert but I don't really know how Titans and world trees can go together

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Just finished the game like 30 seconds ago, eplilogue and all!

What a fucking game. Something I'm confused about, when they're in the temple at the end, looking at their journey on the wall, at the end hidden behind some sort of rug or something, it looks like Kratos is on the ground with the axe in his head while Atreus or someone is blowing on the Serpent horn. Is that correct in what I saw or am I just really tired and seeing things?

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

What a fucking game. Something I'm confused about, when they're in the temple at the end, looking at their journey on the wall, at the end hidden behind some sort of rug or something, it looks like Kratos is on the ground with the axe in his head while Atreus or someone is blowing on the Serpent horn. Is that correct in what I saw or am I just really tired and seeing things?

He sees Loki birthing Jormungandr with him dead by his side and then Loki walking away with wolves.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
When the world was getting completely out of whack in GoW3 from killing the gods that control the oceans and the sun etc, that it was just limited to greece then i guess? But it's not just about the gods themselves anyway, there's creation backstory to the world in each of these lores that aren't really compatible, but the story is presenting it all as canon somehow. I'm not a mythological expert but I don't really know how Titans and world trees can go together

It seems to me like they're all different "realms" as they made a big deal about Tyr "walking his own path" in the realm between realms. That's why it's such a big deal he has a hidden vault with art from different realms/dimensions.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
When Kratos talked about going "home" to retrieve the Blades of Chaos, I thought for a moment that I was in for a detour to Greece, and was so disappointed that he just meant his house from the beginning of the game.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
When Kratos talked about going "home" to retrieve the Blades of Chaos, I thought for a moment that I was in for a detour to Greece, and was so disappointed that he just meant his house from the beginning of the game.
Yea, wanted to see him doing this

giphy.gif

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh I'm not so sure. She loved her son so much that she was willing to let him strangle her in order to help him move on. Plus the fact that she went so far to protect him that she made him invincible, I think she clearly has some serious issues with how much she loves her son. I believe in the mythology thats the big reason why she went to such lengths to protect him. I truly believe she meant what she said.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Help, this is unreal. I got the platinum trophy yesterday and I'm still playing the game..

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
a few weeks ago I remember seeing some leaked screenshots of enemies that looked like Anubis dogs and people were very clearly excited thinking egypt was somehow making an appearance. I don't remember seeing those enemies anywhere though, what was that about?

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
a few weeks ago I remember seeing some leaked screenshots of enemies that looked like Anubis dogs and people were very clearly excited thinking egypt was somehow making an appearance. I don't remember seeing those enemies anywhere though, what was that about?
I'm trying to find this screenshot

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I'm not so sure. She loved her son so much that she was willing to let him strangle her in order to help him move on. Plus the fact that she went so far to protect him that she made him invincible, I think she clearly has some serious issues with how much she loves her son. I believe in the mythology thats the big reason why she went to such lengths to protect him. I truly believe she meant what she said.

She also only cared about his physical well-being too. She was happy as long as he was physically unharmed and felt no pain, didn't give a shit that it was literally driving him mad.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017

I was also wondering about that too - maybe it's Atreus re-birthing his father as Jormogandr? Who then travels back in time to the game's time. It was hinted by Mimir that Jormogandr had already fought Thor and lost, and then traveled back in time.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
If that's true then..... Kratos.....????

All of this is Kratos' fate, though. The giants foretold that. He was bound to wind up in Midgard. As for how he got there? Faye probably convinced Tyr to bring him (because of the prophecy) to Midgard directly after GoW3, he was likely just too injured to realize how he got there.