• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I see. Is there a complete list of what monsters are in the game?

I don't know the full list of them. As far as I have seen there are: draugrs, trolls, dark elves, werewolves, tatzelwurms, undeads, bandits, ogres (formerly called Jotuns by mistake), wolves,revenants, masked shamans, stone giants, soul eaters and every enemy has many variations and subspecies (like fire or ice) and sometimes each one his own design and story. Neverthless some reviews claimed that the enemies aren't vareid enough. Weird.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the full list of them. As far as I have seen there are: draugrs, trolls, dark elves, werewolves, tatzelwurms, undeads, bandits, ogres (formerly called Jotuns by mistake), wolves,revenants, masked shamans, stone giants, soul eaters and every enemy has many variations and subspecies (like fire or ice) and sometimes each one his own design and story. neverthless some reveiws claimed that the enemies aren't vareid enough. Weird.
Thanks and that is odd.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know the full list of them. As far as I have seen there are: draugrs, trolls, dark elves, werewolves, tatzelwurms, undeads, bandits, ogres (formerly called Jotuns by mistake), wolves,revenants, masked shamans, stone giants, soul eaters and every enemy has many variations and subspecies (like fire or ice) and sometimes each one his own design and story. Neverthless some reviews claimed that the enemies aren't vareid enough. Weird.
Jesus that is dense. What is the budget on this I wonder?

Oct 27, 2017
I was interested in something Patrick Klepek brought up, in his review at Waypoint:
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/kzxxwx/god-of-war-review
"I think what's interesting is to be able to take a character all the way to the brink, to take a character to the point where they're wholly unlikable," said Barlog to me at E3. "They are anti-hero in some way, but I think it's interesting to even just look at this feeling of like—How can you bring them back from the brink? How can you redeem them in some ways?"

This question sits at the heart of God of War: Why does someone change, and how do we define progress? What does it mean to change when you don't believe you're capable of it?

...God of War has always been about Kratos being unable to find peace. No matter how many people he kills, it's never enough. He always finds another way to be slighted, a justification for his hatred, another reason to pick up his fabled blades...

"The narrative attempts to keep giving Kratos new reasons to pick up his trademark twin blades might seem silly," wrote former games critic Yannick LeJacq in a 2015 piece about Kratos' irredeemability at Kotaku...

And in relation to a particular scene from the new game:
In this scene, it seems that Kratos "finds another way to be slighted... another reason to pick up his fabled blades [Klepek]" and a way to come "back from the brink [Barlog]" by telling/reminding himself (and the spirit of Athena) that he was once (at some point in the past) 'manipulated' by Athena, and yet is now fully capable of consciously exerting his own free will and acting in opposition to Athena.

So it would seem that Barlog, like at least a few of the posters who responded in this recent thread (in relation to the ending of God of War 3), sees something significant in the idea of Kratos consciously acting in opposition to the will of Athena.

Since I have very limited knowledge of the particulars of the previous games, I'd be interested to hear from those who have more knowledge of the series: do you feel there is actually something about Athena's actions in the past games that makes Kratos's opposition/repudiation of Athena (in the scene from the new game) an actually 'profound' and/or 'redemptive' gesture?

Is "I am your monster no longer" a notion that would legitimately serve to steel Kratos's resolve at this moment, a moment when he's being forced (by Athena) to contemplate both his monstrous past and the prospect of an identically monstrous future?

From the new game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Zqce6bmiA&t=305s
Athena: ...Pretend to be everything you are not... teacher... husband... father... but there is one unavoidable truth you will never escape: You cannot change. You will always be a monster.
Kratos: I know. But I am your monster no longer.

And the previous games:
https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/4/17/17236516/god-of-war-story-recap-ps4
...After tricking Zeus with a plea for paternal affection, Kratos seemed poised to finally kill his father once and for all, only for Athena herself to manifest herself and beg for his mercy. When Kratos refused, she defended her father and took the killing stroke herself, allowing Zeus to escape. As the godhood drained from her gaping wound, she begged Kratos to stop his endless quest for retribution, saying that it would destroy the world. Kratos remained unmoved even by her dying pleas, stating that he would take his revenge on all the Olympian gods... Kratos almost immediately found himself betrayed once more, this time by Gaia, who dismissed him as nothing more than a useful tool and cast him into the River Styx for the third time. Lost in the murk, Kratos eventually found the spirit of Athena, who beseeched him to take revenge on Zeus, claiming that her death had brought her a new perspective on the conflict. As a token of trust, she gave Kratos the Blades of Exile, which he used to escape the underworld and fight the rogues' gallery of gods that awaited him...

Athena's ghost then appeared from the ether and asked Kratos to repay her by returning the hope that found in Pandora's Box, ostensibly to rebuild the world. Instead of trusting such a task to an Olympian, the despondent Kratos decided to commit suicide instead, gutting himself on the Blade of Olympus and releasing the power of hope into what remained of the world. Though Athena — yet another victim of his endless thirst for retribution, the sole desire of the entire video game franchise — remarked that she was disappointed in Kratos, he didn't seem to care, merely offering a laugh in reply as he succumbed to his wounds...
I guess another way to ask this question is: was Kratos ever (clearly or subtly) deceived/manipulated by Athena (enough to prompt this moment of 'indignant' defiance from Kratos in the new game), or were the interests/goals of Athena & Kratos simply aligned for a brief period of time, as seems to be the case from Polygon's summary, above?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I was interested in something Patrick Klepek brought up, in his review at Waypoint:

And in relation to a particular scene from the new game:
In this scene, it seems that Kratos "finds another way to be slighted... another reason to pick up his fabled blades [Klepek]" and a way to come "back from the brink [Barlog]" by telling/reminding himself (and the spirit of Athena) that he was once (at some point in the past) 'manipulated' by Athena, and yet is now fully capable of consciously exerting his own free will and acting in opposition to Athena.

So it would seem that Barlog, like at least a few of the posters who responded in this recent thread (in relation to the ending of God of War 3), sees something significant in the idea of Kratos consciously acting in opposition to the will of Athena.

Since I have very limited knowledge of the particulars of the previous games, I'd be interested to hear from those who have more knowledge of the series: do you feel there is actually something about Athena's actions in the past games that makes Kratos's opposition/repudiation of Athena (in the scene from the new game) an actually 'profound' and/or 'redemptive' gesture?

Is "I am your monster no longer" a notion that would legitimately serve to steel Kratos's resolve at this moment, a moment when he's being forced (by Athena) to contemplate both his monstrous past and the prospect of an identically monstrous future?

From the new game:

And the previous games:

I guess another way to ask this question is: was Kratos ever (clearly or subtly) deceived/manipulated by Athena (enough to prompt this moment of 'indignant' defiance from Kratos in the new game), or were the interests/goals of Athena & Kratos simply aligned for a brief period of time, as seems to be the case from Polygon's summary, above?

And the digital comic corroborates all this by showing how Kratos wanted to master all his rage: his true enemy and that he doesn't want to fight back multiple enemies but he always fails.

Last edited:

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any explanation on how and why the mythologies are linked and progress in the same universe ?
And how Kratos did get there ?

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't played the game but enjoyed the story since the first GoW. I can say that the voice casting for Kratos was spot on. The new voice actor really captured the tone of the new Kratos who wants to step away from the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone please spoil the shit out of this game for me? Like everything you know after the end - twists, lore, epic moments that I need to check on youtube - the more, the better. I don't plan to buy it, but want to check some letsplay videos.
I read through last pages of this thread, but I just can't separate jokes from real plot - son of Kratos is Loki, wat? His wife was a giant? Wtf? Halp.

Nov 3, 2017
Can anyone please spoil the shit out of this game for me? Like everything you know after the end - twists, lore, epic moments that I need to check on youtube - the more, the better. I don't plan to buy it, but want to check some letsplay videos.
I read through last pages of this thread, but I just can't separate jokes from real plot - son of Kratos is Loki, wat? His wife was a giant? Wtf? Halp.

I'm pretty sure there'd be like a full cutscene of the whole game by now on youtube. I haven't played the entirety of the god of war series, I just watch the cutscenes. I love the lore of this game

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Brok and Sindri mentioned "son of Laufei" when talking about the Atreus. Is Kratos not his father?

Did I misheard that?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I just finished the game. I did a bunch of side content but can't wait to keep playing more. The game ends with the fact that the snow falling will last 3 summers and then Ragnorok - I doubt we'll get God of War: Ragnorok by 2021 but one can hope after how incredible this game was.

Quick Question between my crazy love spouting about this game: On the panels on the wall that show the story of this game that we see - what was on that final panel that Kratos saw under the cloth? It looked like two people been double ended by a snake or some shit - it didn't register with me because I think I was still reeling from everything that just happened.

Edit in:
What do you guys think this means? The possible death of Kratos in the future?

wkSDNCL.jpg
This is the one. I can't tell what is happening, it's mad! Is Kratos injured and Atreus summoning a small world surpent our of his mouth or something? I really hope they don't kill of the big K man, he's too awesome!

They could easily make Freya the big bad of the next game and then it lead into Thor and Odin - with those two been the dual big bads in the third game. I'm srlrised we didn't see Thor actually, just his Sons and Brother — oh shit that final fight with Baldur was mental too. All the boss fights are spectacular.

I was jaw agape, speechless when Kratos gets the Blades of Chaos again - in there GOW1 design no doubt.

One final thing, I was trying to light all the braziers in the lake but I can't make it up to two of the gates , anyone else find this? I dock but no elevator up and no way to activate them. Scratch that - just got the last two lit!

I just saw the Thor scene which is like this games version of a post credits scene and holy shit! I love how they've gone as far as possible from the Marvel versions of these characters and really embraced the more traditional look to all the Norse stuff, it's really refreshing. Obviously this game is it's own version of all of this and it's doing it's own thing but still super cool to explore this world.

Last edited:

Wabba

Apr 12, 2018
Can anybody say how much i have left? Dont want this game to end. Kratos has just said that he is a god to Atreus.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't finished the game so please answer me carefully. Atreus just fainted and im taking him back to Fraye. How much left for me?

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damm, clicked the Accolades trailer of God of war, now my youtube recommendations are filled with spoiler moments and bosses.

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
What does enhancements do? I bought 4 of different ones but I don't know how to use them...

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Alright I have ventured into this minefield of a thread (trying to avoid spoilers as much s possible) just to ask how many bosses there are the in game, and how many of those bosses are optional.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN THE CREDITS!!!!

The legends in the cave at the end called Atreus Loki, right? I heard that correctly?

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How did people know to go back to the house for the secret ending? I must have missed the reference or something.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So, like, how does Kratos end up in the Norse world? Did he just hop on a horse and ride north for a month? Also, it seems the Gods know of other Gods like how Mimir knows of Zeus.

The over-world stuff is really confusing.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
How did people know to go back to the house for the secret ending? I must have missed the reference or something.
I wanted to do some side stuff there and just walked in, there was not really a reference.

I also think that we will get the God of War 2 (5) very fast. They can pretty much reuse the whole of Midgard and add stuff. The travel room and the whole of Tyrs temple can stay exactly like it is (with snow added probably), because the Travel stones to places we don't visit are already there. The models of so many creatures and people are already finished and can be updated. The development time will probably be reduced to a minimum because so much already exists.
I think it will be a Cross-Gen PS5 launch/PS4 game.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of feels like blue balls. Great game, very heartfelt game. But the story was kind of messy.

I think it would have been better had they kept it a more intimate story between Kratos, Atreus, Freya and Baldur. The near endless namedropping of Odin and Thor and Memir's tales of them would have you expect that they're to show up at some point or have major influence on the story. But outside of an easter egg post credits cutscene they dont. You get away with killing Thor's 2 sons with no retaliation. Odin is apparently paranoid and a bit of a mad king. But they both let you run around doing as you please with little consequence.

On top of that it was kind of shitty to have realms appear on the map that you cant go to. It would have been better if they werent there at all.

Another criticism is that you spend a lot of time in and around the mountain or mountainous areas. It would have been nice to have more areas like Alfheim. You visit all the available realms, get a feel for the lovely vistas and cool levels, more opportunities for unique bosses. Which is another thing that was particularly lacking. But it would have been fun to run through Niflheim and Muspelheim rather than relegating them to optional challenge content.

Baldur doesn't really feel like "main villain" material and also feels underdeveloped to the point of being a little generic. Hes not really threatening and you spend so little time with him on top of him being inconsequential to your journey it makes it hard to care.

The story kind of just feels like they wanted to leave it open for future additions to the franchise, but as a result became incredibly non comital with the end of the game feeling more like a half point rather than a completed mission. If they wanted to tell the story they did they should have toned down the super heavy exposition and just let it be Kratos and Son's adventures through norseland.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's the most 'Part 1' game I can recall ever playing and it doesn't really hide that it's the beginning of a new trilogy that will inevitably now happen. I kind of respect it for wearing that on its sleeve so brazenly but near the end I didn't feel the closure or exclamation point I was truly hoping for. It's weird for that to be the case in what is a 20 hour story and 40+ hour complete package.

Kratos' does get an extremely fulfilling, very well told arc though. That's the game's main goal ultimately.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most 'Part 1' game I can recall ever playing and it doesn't really hide that it's the beginning of a new trilogy that will inevitably now happen. I kind of respect it for wearing that on its sleeve so brazenly but near the end I didn't feel the closure or exclamation point I was truly hoping for. It's weird for that to be the case in what is a 20 hour story and 40+ hour complete package.

Kratos' does get an extremely fulfilling, very well told arc though. That's the game's main goal ultimately.
It would have been nice to at least see the coming of ragnorok and have a glimpse at older atreaus or something. Or actually see Odin and Thor and how they communicate with eachother or even influence theoutsisde world. It was cool to see Thor in the easter egg but at the same time its also like adding insult to injury.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It would have been nice to at least see the coming of ragnorok and have a glimpse at older atreaus or something. Or actually see Odin and Thor and how they communicate with eachother or even influence theoutsisde world. It was cool to see Thor in the easter egg but at the same time its also like adding insult to injury.
I dunno, it's weird that you wanted that stuff while also saying it should have been more intimate? It's clearly the beginning of a trilogy that is going to get made. Cory wrote this world in a way that the possibilities are quite plentiful for future installments.

I still agree with you that the last third feels like a huge 'to be continued' in a lot of ways and that is a bit frustrating but the way Kratos' evolution is handled and the note their journey ends on I'm pretty okay with how the broader story was told.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, it's weird that you wanted that stuff while also saying it should have been more intimate? It's clearly the beginning of a trilogy that is going to get made. Cory wrote this world in a way that the possibilities are quite plentiful for future installments.

I still agree with you that the last third feels like a huge 'to be continued' in a lot of ways and that is a bit frustrating but the way Kratos' evolution is handled and the note their journey ends on I'm pretty okay with how the broader story was told.
Its not that I personally want it to be intimate. I just think the story would have worked better had it been more intimate.

But because of the massive exposition dumps I feel like they were setting up for something that just never came. I totally get that theyre leaving the door open. But I think they leaned into that way too hard and as a result the game kind of suffers for it.

I think it would have been better had they not spoken of Odin and Thor so much and not let you know that Baldur and the twobrotheres were the children of gods and left that reveal to the end. With Kratos and Atreus knowing that the wrath of the gods will be upon them and that they now have to tread lightly.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Its not that I personally want it to be intimate. I just think the story would have worked better had it been more intimate.

But because of the massive exposition dumps I feel like they were setting up for something that just never came. I totally get that theyre leaving the door open. But I think they leaned into that way too hard and as a result the game kind of suffers for it.

I think it would have been better had they not spoken of Odin and Thor so much and not let you know that Baldur and the twobrotheres were the children of gods and left that reveal to the end. With Kratos and Atreus knowing that the wrath of the gods will be upon them and that they now have to tread lightly.
Curious, what were the massive exposition dumps to you? I thought the backstory was delivered pretty deftly between Mimir (who I thought was phenomenal in how he was used) and Atreus. I thought information was almost always delivered while I was going somewhere or doing something like solving a puzzle.

I was surprised how quickly and unceremoniously Baldur was revealed in a conversation. I can't really say if I liked that or didn't, but it truly took me off guard.

(Hope it doesn't come off as picking at everything you say, I think you make good/fair points. Just dying to talk about the story and plot beats with someone since it's so new!)

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, what were the massive exposition dumps to you? I thought the backstory was delivered pretty deftly between Mimir (who I thought was phenomenal in how he was used) and Atreus. I thought information was almost always delivered while I was going somewhere or doing something like solving a puzzle.

I was surprised how quickly and unceremoniously Baldur was revealed in a conversation. I can't really say if I liked that or didn't, but it truly took me off guard.

(Hope it doesn't come off as picking at everything you say, I think you make good/fair points. Just dying to talk about the story and plot beats with someone since it's so new!)
No worries!
But its mostly the stuff Mimir would say. He talks a lot about Odin and because of it I was always expecting Odin or Thor to come down and be revealed as the true villains considering how much he talks about their heinous and terrible acts. I would understand if it was world building like with Tyr. But Tyr's actions directly influence a large number of events that are encounteres by the player.

Wheras the exploits of Odin and Thor are largely irrelevant to whats going on. But Mimir spends most of his time explaining backstory explaining Odin. Which has next to nothing to do with whats going on. Thor, I understand to an extent. His sons go after you, he killed the giant that is a large part of the story. But even then theres no consequence to that. The closest thing that you personally experience of Thor's cruelty is him beating the shit out of his son. And well, thats it.

It would have been better had they used more of the 'exposition bandwidth' to talk more about norse mythology and the coming of Ragnorok. Talk more about the pantheon. All we ecer really learn about are the two dogs, Tyr, Odin and Thor then Freya and Baldur. Only 3 of those are plot relevant. So use the exposition as flavor text for the world or spend more time talking about things that are plot relevant. Like the war of the elves that just kinda gets forgotten once you leave the area.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No worries!
But its mostly the stuff Mimir would say. He talks a lot about Odin and because of it I was always expecting Odin or Thor to come down and be revealed as the true villains considering how much he talks about their heinous and terrible acts. I would understand if it was world building like with Tyr. But Tyr's actions directly influence a large number of events that are encounteres by the player.

Wheras the exploits of Odin and Thor are largely irrelevant to whats going on. But Mimir spends most of his time explaining backstory explaining Odin. Which has next to nothing to do with whats going on. Thor, I understand to an extent. His sons go after you, he killed the giant that is a large part of the story. But even then theres no consequence to that. The closest thing that you personally experience of Thor's cruelty is him beating the shit out of his son. And well, thats it.

It would have been better had they used more of the 'exposition bandwidth' to talk more about norse mythology and the coming of Ragnorok. Talk more about the pantheon. All we ecer really learn about are the two dogs, Tyr, Odin and Thor then Freya and Baldur. Only 3 of those are plot relevant. So use the exposition as flavor text for the world or spend more time talking about things that are plot relevant. Like the war of the elves that just kinda gets forgotten once you leave the area.
Yeah, this is a good take.

I view it as Mimir (who is likely a character who will persist in a significant way the entire trilogy) editorializing through his POV given his background with the Gods and characters you mention. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's supposed to be an unreliable narrator, but he is certainly filtering it through his experiences and is much more of a full fledged character than a talking codex which I appreciated.

You clearly have more of a baseline knowledge about Norse mythology than I do so I can see why that stuff would stand out more to you than it might to me.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is a good take.

I view it as Mimir (who is likely a character who will persist in a significant way the entire trilogy) editorializing through his POV given his background with the Gods and characters you mention. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's supposed to be an unreliable narrator, but he is certainly filtering it through his experiences and is much more of a full fledged character than a talking codex which I appreciated.

You clearly have more of a baseline knowledge about Norse mythology than I do so I can see why that stuff would stand out more to you than it might to me.
The majority of my knowledge of norse stuff comes from other norse inspired works (namely other videogames lol) and a swedish metal band that makes music inspired by norse myths. Not much to write home about lol. I just know there are a lot of gods and cool things that could have been fleshed out more. Particularly Surtur and Muspelheim, considering Surtur is an incredibky important figure in the Ragnorok.

But something I thought was incredibly cool was the setup of Atreus being Loki a long with the coming of Ragnorok. From what Ive gathered through the previously mentioned sources a long with the obvious mural on the wall in the ending. Its setting Atreus/Loki up to be a successor to Kratos and the one that will take down the norse pantheon. Loki is an outcast of the gods because of his different heritage and that usually results in him resenting the other gods and plotting their downfall. Here its a little different. Loki already has enough reason to dispise the norse gods for reasons that arent driven by vengance or resentment. Which I think is a good set up for events to come. Especially if they plan to go down the route of a heroic Loki rather than a villanous one.