• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any bullshit hard as balls section like previous main games (Clones in GoW1, Clotho Hallway in GoW2, Labyrinth in GoW3) ?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I've beaten the game and will answer Qs off and on here today when I have time. I have kind of a busy day but I'll pop in when I can.

And I reserve the right to not answer stuff - this is the first game in YEARS where I think the spoilers actually "matter." There's some insanely good reveals and the idea of people spoiling themselves or even worse having something inadvertently spoiled for them makes me very sad.

Soundwind

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Apr 13, 2018
I am surprised they didn't even bother remaking both models and improving the hairs and beards and beards of both since the current game has a better hair tech. In fact they just kept the old PS3 models.
so i assume this is the point that Atreus figures out that Kratos is not Scandinavian born

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've beaten the game and will answer Qs off and on here today when I have time. I have kind of a busy day but I'll pop in when I can.

And I reserve the right to not answer stuff - this is the first game in YEARS where I think the spoilers actually "matter." There's some insanely good reveals and the idea of people spoiling themselves or even worse having something inadvertently spoiled for them makes me very sad.

You know that all the spoilers are out in the wild? How are your thoughts about the game?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok. Let's get more excited for the sequel. It is known that this game serves as a a preliminary introduction to the Norse mythology. The fights, while they were great weren't within the levels of the previous games especially GOW3 and we had only 3 gods to fight: 2 of them were during one same fight.

From what I saw from the ending and the statues, Thor has not only a better design than his sons and Baldr but he also has a very classy introduction and an imposing and charsimatic figure. If not one of the best in the series. The focus on his hammer Mjiolnir shows that it has runes on it similar to the runes on the axe and the blades which means this weapon will be obtainable in the next game and will have upgrades too and that it will still be within the philosphy of this new gameplay of carrying all items Kratos uses on him: the axe, the blades on his back, and now the axe on his left side like Thor.

The next game fights will be totally beyond epic. Dunno if the next game is a full fledged sequel on PS4 or just a big addon like The Frozen Wilds and The Lost legacy. What do you think?

Soundwind

Apr 13, 2018

is the scene where kratos sees the greek vase in it of his legend?

or was that cut?

Oct 30, 2017
Managua, Nicaragua

I just want to know the story of how Kratos got to Norse Mythology, like the transition between the ending of GOW3 and the beginning of GOW(2018)

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One question, are the Norse Gods like Odin and Thor actively evil in this one?
Are they all, "Huahaha!! We shall destroy you God of War!"

Or is it more, they don't want this immigrant (lol) ruining their pristine lands?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
is the scene where kratos sees the greek vase in it of his legend?

or was that cut?

That scene is in the game. There's teases to other pantheons of Gods too, but it's clear no immediate sequels will tackle that.

Or is it more, they don't want this immigrant (lol) ruining their pristine lands?

Very evil.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

FYI, this not Marvel's aberration. This is mythology. The gods are evil including Thor and Odin destroying the other realms in wars and commiting genocides due to their arrogance and folly and this is even before the start of the game. Watch the Lost pages to understand that.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017

Soundwind

Apr 13, 2018
Kratos generally doesn't like discussing his past with Artreus and only does so reluctantly.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. But it's clear we're staying in Norse-land for the forseeable future.
in the end he reveals to him that he is Spartan though right?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
in the end he reveals to him that he is Spartan though right?

Yes.

Yep the devs confirmed that many times and the ending corroborates that.

yes, that's what I just said.

when Kratos mentions Sparta is he proud of his Spartan heritage or ashamed/reluctant about it?

He's very proud of his heritage and there's a very touching moment at the end around it. He is very much ashamed and not proud of his own actions.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are Thor or Odin in this? I doubt you'd fight either at this point but Thor as a final boss would be pretty cool.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you can help me, during the game does it explains the story of how Kratos got to Norse Mythology, like the transition between the ending of GOW3 and the beginning of GOW(2018)

It won't happen in the game because this will cause a flashback or cutscene which will trigger a cut thus contradicting the whole ideology of the game. That is why it is widely speculated that this will explaiend in the Digital Comic you will get from the Digital Deluxe Edition.
I presume you are playing from the disk since the digital unlock isn't up yet. You will sadly miss the extra content. That is why I don't get games physically anymore.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
FYI, this not Marvel's aberration. This is mythology. The gods are evil including Thor and Odin destroying the other realms in wars and commiting genocides due to their arrogance and folly and this is even before the start of the game. Watch the Lost pages to understand that.

That kinda makes me sad and not because I wanted Anthony Hopkins to show up and share some age old wisdom
But rather I wanted there to be more open dialogue, more nuance and going back-and-forth without full on hostility
I say this because that is what the reviews were saying, that it's a mature story with rounded characters

You make them sound like cartoon villains.
Everything is different yet they kept this one the same.

Also, Christ, why do God of War fans hate the MCU so much?
The Sub-Reddit is all, "FCUK MCU!! THIS IS REAL NORSE MYTHS!!"

Now I hope we never get a Hindu/Asian myth inspired God of War, they'll probably make Kali evil too (as opposed to Goddess of Motherhood)

Oh that's a bit of a shame, but now I'm curious about one of those bosses...

Why would you fight Baldr of all people? Is he evil in this game or does Kratos have another reason to kill him? Do you use mistletoe against him? That'd be a nice touch.

That's a damn good question especially since I have mentioned how people have been hating on the MCU Thor for being a silly clown or some such.
He is soft sweet boy who never harms anyone in the Myths.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Why would you fight Baldr of all people? Is he evil in this game or does Kratos have another reason to kill him? Do you use mistletoe against him? That'd be a nice touch.

Think of him as a someone with One Punch Man mentality looking for the strongest fighter to make him feel pain and he sought Kratos for that but there are more reasons than that. And yeah Sindri gives you mistletoe arrows to beat him. This game is really deep inside the mythology. SSM have always had mythology experts. They even brought back Old Norse languages into the game and chants. It was a hard task. there is even a trophy for understanding the languages in this game.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Think of him as a someone with One Punch Man mentality looking for the strongest fighter to make him feel pain and he sought Kratos for that but there are more reasons than that. And yeah Sindri gives you mistletoe arrows to beat him. This game is really deep inside the mythology. SSM have always had mythology experts. They even brought back Old Norse languages into the game and chants. It was a hard task. there is even a trophy for understanding the languages in this game.

Yup, sounds like god of light, joy, purity, alright
Like this is character assassination lol

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

He's not pretty or gracious in this one like in the myths. He looks like a random scandinavian and is just a dick.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Very easy fix too.
Baldr killed by Loki ---> Frame Kratos ---> Thor/Odin hunt down Kratos
Then it would be revealed that this was some great scheme by Loki and Kratos/Thor team up!

Yeah nice one. The game is about the Lost pages of Norse Myths anyway. There are many events or characters' identities that are still obtuse and hazy in the myths that the game can fill.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah nice one. The game is about the Lost pages of Norse Myths anyway. There are many events or characters' identities that are still obtuse and hazy in the myths that the game can fill.

In that case I better not hear any lip about the MCU now
I'll take handsome playboy MCU Thor over MURDER HOBO GoW Baldr

I do like the change of making Jormurgandr into a good boy snake
"NO STEP ON WOLD SNEK! I BOOP WITH MY SNOOT!" I imagine him saying

http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Atreus

Atreus is

1/2 Giant, 1/4 God and 1/4 human

so i wonder if that gives him more potential in power than Kratos being 1/2 human and 1/2 god?

We are getting into DBZ Saiyan hybrid levels here
How much of what is Trunks again?

Last edited:

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
Don't like Baldr's design at all. Calling Marvel's version of Norse myth an aberration but not this one is weird. Each one is a different interpretation. But I was hoping that the franchise didn't take the same route of fighting Gods who are the antagonists.

Soundwind

Apr 13, 2018
Don't like Baldr's design at all. Calling Marvel's version of Norse myth an aberration but not this one is weird. Each one is a different interpretation. But I was hoping that the franchise didn't take the same route of fighting Gods who are the antagonists.
are you playing it now?

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

He looks like some meth head biker dude with possibly neo-nazi leanings
Covered in Norse runes and tattoos and talks like a typical, "tough guy"
He's more Connor McGregor than Baldr.

And yes, I agree having the gods be always super antagonistic is kind of grating
It worked in the edge-lord era but when you speak of mature story-telling this is not what I expect

On the other hand, the first fight with him is some anime shit and I loved it!
Like can we have a DBZ game like this?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There's one thing I don't quite get..

If Atreus is Loki, how come Jormungandr is around already? Considering Jormungandr is one of Loki's three children, alongside Hel and Fenris.