• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
But don't streamers get obliterated so quickly? How coud someone make it to the end?
He started streaming right before the final boss, finished the game once, and then tried going through the final section again, as many people tuned in after he had finished the game and he wanted to show it to those that missed it. He got banned just as he was about to start the final boss a second time.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
He started streaming right before the final boss, finished the game once, and then tried going through the final section again, as many people tuned in after he had finished the game and he wanted to show it to those that missed it. He got banned just as he was about to start the final boss a second time.

How could he stream and finish the game twice so quickly?

Oct 25, 2017
WHO ARE YOU !?!?!?!?!

This is going to date me like crazy (and I know what you're referring to with this, regarding GoW), but I can't read that line or hear it bellowed in a major story moment without thinking of the Suez Canal scene in Lawrence of Arabia.

I can confirm this exactly; that was the stream I watched. I don't know how long it was running before I was in the channel, but from your description, I caught it from nearly the beginning. It seems he loaded from a late save. Regardless, I was surprised by how long the channel stayed up—at least an hour by my count, as the streamer stopped at one point to show off some of the maps and upgrade trees from that stage of the game. I didn't even realize he was that close to the end until the boss fight got going.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Don't really want to be spoiled so a simple yes or no would suffice. Does this game feel like a complete story or does it have a giant hole where the ending should be? I hate games that just stop and don't finish a character's arc. GoW 2 was really bad about this.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
The main story is well rounded. They finished their mission. There are no holes in there. Everything is just as it should be.

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is for those who want to see the ending...it's up on youtube watch it before pooft...

https://youtu.be/jYBCf2pfWK8

The post credits scene says something about a dream and the future

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They removed the video. Someone can spoil the ending for me? Even PM is ok

Thanks
I caught the stream on Twitch that showed off some extreme late-game content for about an hour or two (including the final story boss and ending), so you don't have to. The final sequence is beautifully paced and I think those of you playing the full journey from beginning to end will feel like you've earned a powerful sense of satisfaction. As you might expect, it's also a bold setup for the future continuation of the series, if somewhat predictable if you know your Norse gods.

I have no relationship with Sony and am under no embargo—I've just been watching streams—so I'll post here instead of dumping this in PMs for the sake of open discussion. Please don't PM me about this. What you see is what I know. Keep in mind I haven't played the full game yet and can't give you the context for everything. I will say that having the late content spoiled for me hasn't diminished my interest in playing (indeed, I'm quite interested in witnessing the whole thing now), but some of you may wish to err on the safe side and not read anything anyway.

I'm going to answer this in two parts, in case anyone who clicks on the first part feels like they've seen too much, has second thoughts, and wants to turn back.

The world serpent spits Kratos and Atreus out into a final confrontation with Baldur, who is indeed the same rival who shows up at the beginning of the game as the Stranger.

Freya is not the mother. In this game (and in a departure from the mythology, if I'm not mistaken), Freya is Baldur's mother and wants Baldur alive. She evidently appears as a recurring character throughout the game. Baldur wants Freya dead; Kratos wants Freya alive. The setup for the final fight is Kratos and Atreus intervening in Freya and Baldur's reunion, against her wishes. Thanks to Atreus and a sliver of mistletoe (if you know your Norse myths, you know where this is going), Baldur can finally feel a thing or two. During the fight, Freya attempts to intervene, but ultimately you dispense with Baldur the usual way (Ragnarok, here we come!) and he dies, uttering with his last breath a premonition of snow. Freya swears to direct her wrath against Kratos into what will surely be the next game.

Kratos at last reveals his Spartan identity and past to Atreus in a few sentences. There's a brief exchange about godhood, moral agency, and fate. This conversation also confirms that yes, they encountered Zeus earlier in the game. They move on to the summit of the mountain.

But wait! There's more! You probably want to turn back.

The game goes on after the final boss without any more combat, which came off to me as a wonderfully paced bookend to the quiet opening minutes.

Kratos and Atreus reach their destination, the halls of Jotunheim. They learn from the artwork that their journey was foretold by the giants, all the way up to their fight with Baldur minutes ago, and understand that Faye herself was a giant. They proceed to the summit to spread the ashes together. Atreus has one final question: why in the artwork he was referred to as Loki. Kratos answers that Loki was the name Faye wanted for him before he was born, and perhaps the name she communicated to her own people, but doesn't seem to realize its significance himself. As they descend from the mountain and the credits roll, Kratos explains his choice of the name Atreus.

Upon reaching a certain point, there is a UI notification that you are now free to continue exploring the world. Mimir (who's on your belt throughout all this as a head, though he sits out the spreading of the ashes to give Kratos and Atreus some family privacy) chatters on about how you may have brought about the start of Ragnarok much earlier than expected. Here, the streamer continued to play until he was confronted by Thor, outside the house where you start. You don't get to fight him, though. Cut to black and more credits. The streamer loaded back into the game, again at the house; here Atreus remarks on seeing a vision of Thor and believing it to be a premonition of the future. Kratos tells him to worry about it tomorrow, and the (postgame) adventure continues.

Anyway, the short of it is that Atreus is Loki, you end the game by triggering Ragnarok (as many speculated on learning that Baldur was a recurring boss), Freya wants you dead, and you'll spend the next game or two massacring the entire Norse pantheon. After all, this is God of War. But anything can happen, as Kratos seems insistent that Atreus's fate and godhood are his to decide, so I would expect that question (the question of whether Atreus will perish along with everyone else like Loki in the myths, or go about it differently) to drive the plot of the new series from here.

Interesting ending and effectively makes it almost impossible for anyone speculation to have been true, because characters from the mythology are mixed and matched when it comes to origins.

Kratos son being Loki is amazing....they confirmed that God of War was gonna be a Kratos story....but 2 and 3+ could have Loki become more of the focus as his darkside starts to show up.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
The main story is well rounded. They finished their mission. There are no holes in there. Everything is just as it should be.
Imho isnt. Its all great right up to moment when credits started rolling. I was dissappointed there wont be anything else. Its not big cliffhanger, more like: there defo should be more of this.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
For the first part of the new trilogy, it's totally fine. All was expected if you ask me.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
im at a part on a moving platform, you have a time limit to kill enemies before it falls down and its fucking absurd lmao. Ive hit the wall bois. fuck me

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Please anyone: that Vanaheim stuff with the giant plants and replenishing health by eating fruist: is i there in the game or was it scrapped?
Also when does the 100 enemy battle happen? Is it in the 2 fighting arenas?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's part of the challenge on Musphelheim if I wrote it right.

So the 100 enemy battle really happens in this game? GREAT! :D

What about those? The first gameplay elemnts linked since 2016:

https://imgur.com/uCaumMb

https://imgur.com/MwLn18f

Going to Vanaheim, meeting those giant living plants. eating fruits to replenish health there. using the axe to chop a big tree to create a brdige (Cory confirmed that part in one of the interviews)?

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
so anyone knows how to battle the valkery ? As I get killed by a single hit..

I spent 10 hours on 8 Valkyries. If one is making you trouble, wait and see the last one :) all of them combined in one :D.

As Karak said, counter and physical tells and you should be good. Also, you need to be quick on the buttons for this fight

Soundwind

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Apr 13, 2018
So Atreus DNA make up is

50 percent giant
25 percent God (from Kratos father lineage)
and 25 percent human (from Kratos' mother lineage)

or am i crap at math

if his mother is full giant and kratos is half human, half god what would Atreus percentages be?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Any complete or at least half way walkthroughs up?

I want to show one of my friends a certain bit from the game.