• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turquoise

Banned
Apr 7, 2018
I hope we fight Magni in a sequel. Id rather have him than Thor. He should really be able to destroy Kratos and give him the ultimate fight

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So do we know why Kratos is going to such extreme lengths to deliver these ashes?

According to some leaks (dunno if they are true), the wife was a witch and her ashes need to be scattered on the highest point conecting all realms to sever the bond between all realms so no native of any realm could attack the others and to prevent Ragnarok from happening.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect too many God fights in GoW.

I expect them to save that for GoW 2 and 3 to be honest.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I hope we fight Magni in a sequel. Id rather have him than Thor. He should really be able to destroy Kratos and give him the ultimate fight

This GOW Fan user speculated that the stranger is either Baldr or Magni (who is normally more powerful than Thor):

If he is not Magni,and this fight is already so epic, so I expect to see a fight similar to the ilk of Hercules in the sequel.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't expect too many God fights in GoW.

I expect them to save that for GoW 2 and 3 to be honest.

I think they are just groping the surface of the new gameplay type they established in the sereis and waiting to see how it works. If it everything goes well, the sequel will be much meatier like the gradual evolution from GOW1 to GOW3 in terms of epicness.

Turquoise

Banned
Apr 7, 2018
This GOW Fan user speculated that the stranger is either Baldr or Magni (who is normally more powerful than Thor):

If he is not Magni,and this fight is already so epic, so I expect to see a fight similar to the ilk of Hercules in the sequel.

Magni is stronger than all the Aesir gods combined as a baby. If we are fightning him so early that would be so weird

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Magni is stronger than all the Aesir gods combined. If we are fightning him so early that would be so weird

Yeah. This is what I think too. Imagine the bomabstic destruction this would lead too. This needs PS5 hardware. :p

And you saw how Kratos is immortal and heals his wounds too like the stranger, but this comes with a toll of exhaustment after.

Last edited:

Turquoise

Banned
Apr 7, 2018
Yeah. This is what I think too. Imagine the bomabstic detsruction this would lead too. This needs PS5 hardware. :p

And you saw how Kratos is immortal and heals his wounds too like the stranger, but this comes with a toll of exhaustment after.
I can only imagine how awesome that fight would be. It also has the perfect set up post Ragnarok Magni wants to avenge his father Thor since Kratos killed him.
Yeah i liked that part a lot showcasing Kratos' immortality

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I can only imagine how awesome that fight would be. It also has the perfect set up post Ragnarok Magni wants to avenge his father Thor since Kratos killed him.
Yeah i liked that part a lot showcasing Kratos' immortality

Some leaks claim fighting two gods at the same time in this game. Dunno if this is true but what if they were Magni and Modi? You probably you don't kill them in this game. I can't think of another duo that can challenge Kratos in similar fight. Can you give an example?

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
yeah thinking about that fight again it definitely gives off Dragon Ball vibes, especially when they locked hands and earth started to crumble around them - that's some Goku vs. Vegeta shit right there

Turquoise

Banned
Apr 7, 2018
Some leaks claim fighting two gods at the same time in this game. Dunno if this is true but what if they were Magni and Modi? You probably you don't kill them in this game. I can't think of another duo that can challenge Kratos in similar fight. Can you give an example?
People seem to be saying the stranger is Baldr so maybe we fight him and his brother Hodr. Hodr is responsible for Baldr's death(tricked by Loki) so maybe they twist this in the game somehow.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
People seem to be saying the stranger is Baldr so maybe we fight him and his brother Hodr. Hodr is responsible for Baldr's death(tricked by Loki) so maybe they twist this in the game somehow.

But isn't Baldr vulnerable only to mistletoe hence
Sindri gave Mistletoe arrows to Atreus after the dragon fight.
So I don't think the stranger is Baldr otherwise I don't see how Kratos could have killed him without his kryptonite. I am sure we will fight him though later in the game because of that gift. Unless the stranger is still not dead in that scene.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't think the stranger is Baldr otherwise I don't see how Kratos could have killed him without his kryptonite. I am sure we will fight him though later in the game because of that gift. Unless the stranger is still not dead in that scene.
I doubt he's dead. He was bragging about how nothing Kratos did hurt him and how he didn't feel pain. Based on his dialogue, he has a "One Punch Man" complex of wanting to fight powerful warriors in the hopes that one might be the special one to make him feel pain

Turquoise

Banned
Apr 7, 2018
People are saying he isn't dead and will return. And yeah if they were staying really true to Baldr, Kratos shouldn't have damaged him at all and the stranger wouldn't need to heal as Baldr is invulnerable. Also Baldr is handsome and gracious

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt he's dead. He was bragging about how nothing Kratos did hurt him and how he didn't feel pain. Based on his dialogue, he has a "One Punch Man" complex of wanting to fight powerful warriors in the hopes that one might be the special one to make him feel pain

People are saying he isn't dead and will return. And yeah if they were staying really true to Baldr, Kratos shouldn't have damaged him at all and the stranger wouldn't need to heal as Baldr is invulnerable

Yeah. I don't think he is dead either. It would be so weird to get rid of of such powerful God so early in the game. We had some games where we fight the last boss as first boss at the start of the game like Z.O.E.2 and others.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the gif and thought, "Cool, 8 seconds of placing the controller on my lap and watching a mini-movie." Why are people impressed when the game plays an in-engine cutscene like it's some kind of revelation?

I initially had the same concern when I saw the clip out of context, but now that I've seen the fight in its entirety, it's actually just a phase transition like you'd see in any other multi-stage boss fight: you lose control for a few seconds while you change environments, and you get to relax your fingers for a moment before you face a new boss pattern, read it, and resume. (That's what I'm inferring, anyway.) I think the continuous stitching of playable and scripted/cinematic content is doing quite a lot of work here to maintain a sense of geography while you're whisked from phase to phase, arena to arena, in an otherwise structurally conventional boss battle.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think the fight would have been more epic if Kratos only used fist fists and kicks like a real fighting game. Who is in to try this for the sake of spectacle?

Turquoise

Banned
Apr 7, 2018
I think the fight would have been more epic if Kratos only used fist fists and kicks like a real fighting game. Who is going to try this fo the sake of spectacle?
They actually could of done that. Kratos' spartan range mode has a nice fist only moveset. They could of just gave him that mode without the flaming effects for the fight.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They actually could of done that. Kratos' spartan range mode has a nice fist only moveset. They could of just gave him that mode without the flaming effects for the fight.

Yeah but what I meant we have the choice to go through the whole battle without using the axe. Is there anyone who loves challenges for the sake of pure show and who will try just fist and kick fight? Shield is fine ofc.

Oct 31, 2017
I initially had the same concern when I saw the clip out of context, but now that I've seen the fight in its entirety, it's actually just a phase transition like you'd see in any other multi-stage boss fight: you lose control for a few seconds while you change environments, and you get to relax your fingers for a moment before you face a new boss pattern, read it, and resume. (That's what I'm inferring, anyway.) I think the continuous stitching of playable and scripted/cinematic content is doing quite a lot of work here to maintain a sense of geography while you're whisked from phase to phase, arena to arena, in an otherwise structurally conventional boss battle.

If that's the case and it was just out of context then I'm totally down with it.

Oct 27, 2017
This one:

Xtgq127.jpg

Can you please read what is written there?

Edit: According to someone from the old forums:

I can't quite make out what it says, and some of those runes look like they aren't part of the futhark. Hmm.. I'll see if I can find any better shots of the horn.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler for the fight in that video, it's a gif.

27505356868_3c3ca911f0_o.gif

Yeah, I like how this fight develops and I haven't seen the end of it and I'm glad. I just hope it's not a special one for the intro and that actually most of bosses play out like this one with scripted transitions.

Kratos' demeanor and acting reminds me of Caesar from the new Planet of the Apes movies, anyone else?

Especially that "Leave...my...home" line

LOL

I was sceptical about whether the 'one single shot camera' thing was just a gimmick and not worth the effort, but after watching the fight with The Stranger it adds a whole new depth and a bunch of cool camera angles.

Exactly, I always dream of a medieval fantasy Naughty Dog game but the melee action in this plus the camera work seems to fill that void even better than I trust ND to do it. Still want that though for other reasons but this could potentially have similar or better gameplay to what I imagine.

I saw the gif and thought, "Cool, 8 seconds of placing the controller on my lap and watching a mini-movie." Why are people impressed when the game plays an in-engine cutscene like it's some kind of revelation?

Because it's just a seamless transition inside an actual player controlled fight with multiple stages and it serves to not break the flow and not interrupt the camera/scene and it proves to work if you have that preference. Of course, that works on some of us that prefer a near camera rather than a farther one, I think.

I think the fight would have been more epic if Kratos only used fist fists and kicks like a real fighting game. Who is in to try this for the sake of spectacle?

I'll try and remember to do this just because the stranger is unarmed so it would only be fair. Throw the axe and never recall it until later or just unequip it if possible (and the shield).

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
ah, so it was just the difficulty.
good cause that section wasn't looking hot
the stranger fight looking good!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try and remember to do this just because the stranger is unarmed so it would only be fair. Throw the axe and never recall it until later or just unequip it if possible (and the shield).

Yeah. This is what I was talking about and refering to. The fight would feel and look more equilibrated an natural and it won't feel like this:

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
edit:

Sry, not this time. :( My boss read Resetera, and this thread. :(

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I like how this fight develops and I haven't seen the end of it and I'm glad. I just hope it's not a special one for the intro and that actually most of bosses play out like this one with scripted transitions.

LOL

Exactly, I always dream of a medieval fantasy Naughty Dog game but the melee action in this plus the camera work seems to fill that void even better than I trust ND to do it. Still want that though for other reasons but this could potentially have similar or better gameplay to what I imagine.

Because it's just a seamless transition inside an actual player controlled fight with multiple stages and it serves to not break the flow and not interrupt the camera/scene and it proves to work if you have that preference. Of course, that works on some of us that prefer a near camera rather than a farther one, I think.

Not sure why my name is in that quote as I never said this.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Axe is mandatory for some puzzles tho

Hmm. I forgot about this. Didn't Cory say that we can throw it at some point and leave it for a quite long time and call it later after reaching half of the game and you can see it coming to you from where you left and this idea made programmers go crazy? I wonder if there are some workarounds for some puzzlers or other shortcuts for some paths needing the axe to be freed. For example instead of throwing the axe at something to break it, you throw the bomb thing we saw.