• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Wait how is this possible? Didn't the game just go gold like a few days ago?

To be perfectly honest, I don't think either of the leaks were really leaks. Remember Corey said there maybe something else coming? I think this leak is in line with the first leak. People like to think they're seeing behind the curtain and that creates a buzz. And then when it's actually shown, with better quality, we get a second wave of buzz. Now take into consideration other platforms ...

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
the transitions are obviously set up to lead the player through different environments, pretty obvious seeing as he ended up in the room with the kid and there was no entrance below to get into that room even though he was 'climbing'
taking note that he is in a weird portal and hallucinating maybe?, calling it a cut is a bit disingenuous imo
him attacking those weird cage stuff with no reaction until you tap circle is really dull. don't know how that was missed.

if after watching the 15mins preview explaining combat and this 10 mins clip changes your mind on the combat then i really don't get what you're expecting. lol
its already been referenced alot that its darksouls-y and you can see they arent scared of putting alot of enemies in your way.

you should not be picking up 'walk and talk walk and talk' and judging from a 10mins section of a long game with in depth story man. especially one without cuts!
sure it will be annoying for second run if you can't skip tho. that i agree

also there are bunch of side quest according to the preview so i'm not worried about getting stuff to hack at.

the combat changes makes every counter, well almost every counter a challenge which would be enough to keep you up on
unlike previous game where you enter a room tap square 5 times clear room another room tap square 5 times clear room

these are my opinions tho, you could disagree

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I can understand not liking the way they are handling it but calling it a cut is a reach imo.
People call the same kind of transitions in Hellblade a cut, thus what they're doing here counts as a cut too. It's a video game, transitions like that are necessary when there's such a drastic change in environment even when the "list of features"=no camera cuts or transitions whatsoever.

Last edited:

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to over react based on this 10 mins but yeah there are some concerning things in it.

If all the other stuff they have shown and people played wasn't as amazing as it has been then I would be a bit worried about this.

My biggest complaint is why in the hell do the elves (I assume) just vaporize when they die? That's super lame and at the end when Atreus has killed a lot they have bodies on the ground.

Unfortunately there were also several fade to white cuts, I'm curious how they are going to address this when the game is out after making such a huge deal of the "one cut" thing.

Anyways it's just 10 mins of someone playing poorly in what is most likely easy mode. They also seemed to have cherry picked this one spot to get people all concerned.

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I hope there will be a class action if the game is not made in one single cut. I can already smell the money.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the one cut thing is a neat bullet point to say out loud but overall it's pretty superfluous. I don't know why they were hitting that point so hard. the game wasn't going to be good or not based on that.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
HaUNNLD.gif

Kratos got a roaming super.
And people said he couldn't jump ;)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
sure it will be annoying for second run if you can't skip tho. that i agree
That's a really good point.
While replaying most games, you can skip the cutscenes, but the walking "narrative" sections are unavoidable.
I can't imagine replaying Uncharted 4 and listening again all the boring dialogue while driving/walking.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good point.
While replaying most games, you can skip the cutscenes, but the walking "narrative" sections are unavoidable.
I can't imagine replaying Uncharted 4 and listening again all the boring dialogue while driving/walking.
So basically, just here for the combat, everything else is just getting in the way?

Do you feel like "gameplay for action, keep story separate in cutscenes" is better because you can skip that stuff and get straight to the action?

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
So basically, just here for the combat, everything else is just getting in the way?

Do you feel like "gameplay for action, keep story separate in cutscenes" is better because you can skip that stuff and get straight to the action?

They will get in the way on second playthroughs more. I don't mind this on a first playthrough. But on replays which will almost certainly be happening, having these unskippable sequences of lessened gameplay interaction where the key draw to replay is likely the combat sequences, then they become a drawback.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Looks like a transition to me. To avoid fallout they should have just kept Kratos vaguely visible through the transition. Obviously the white out would have had to happen either way because the environment completely changed multiple times in a flash back style way, but Kratos didn't need to fully white out along with it.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, who can make a gif for Kratos, the moment when he hold the creature spear and then punch him? that was really badass!

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

I really don't understand.
how are those 'cuts', i get it's a new area but kratos is literally in a dream like state anyways considering atreus could pull him out.
they could have made him motionless and different scenes flash by, would that be a cut?
so if they made you walk through a portal instead of the transition it isn't a 'cut' or is it?
anyways cut it is. dream is ded

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No I don't, and I fully understand that there are new ways of storytelling thanks to modern gaming technology, aside from the classic cutscenes.
But some games are taking it too far, making long sections about character development thay I don't enjoy that much, specially if the writing isn't that good.
The thing is, when replaying the game, some players do it to try harder difficulties etc..., but the "non-cinematic" writing has the side-effect that isn't skippable, and listening again to some lenghty slow sections, that IMO aren't that good, isn't exciting when replaying the game.

Edit: And there's lots of games that do this kind of narrative way better, I felt like Uncharted 4 was bloated with slow and uninteresting sections to make the characters "deep" and "realistic", but in the end it only bored me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, and I know this is premature, but I was expecting a bit more subtlety as far as the writing is concerned. As soon as he enters the light, they're really just throwing shit in your face, like "look this is how atreus really feels". No nuance, nothing.

The game has felt more mature than that, so far. Hopefully it's limited to a few moments and nothing more.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of you are the reason why developers have to be so cagey about shit, some random out of context leaked footage played by some random person that is terrible at the game and everyone's passing it as "terrible". Maybe this is not great out of context? Maybe it wasnt supposed to be shown like this?

DevilMayCryGuy

No I don't, and I fully understand that there are new ways of storytelling thanks to modern gaming technology, aside from the classic cutscenes.
But some games are taking it too far, making long sections about character development thay I don't enjoy that much, specially if the writing isn't that good.
The thing is, when replaying the game, some players do it to try harder difficulties etc..., but the "non-cinematic" writing has the side-effect that isn't skippable, and listening again to some lenghty slow sections, that IMO aren't that good, isn't exciting when replaying the game.

Edit: And there's lots of games that do this kind of narrative way better, I felt like Uncharted 4 was bloated with slow and uninteresting sections to make the characters "deep" and "realistic", but in the end it only bored me.
It's things like this that the vehement defenders of this game seem to really miss. Honestly I think those blindly defending this game are worse than those hating it because you see so many say sarcastic comments like "ooh yeah look at that walk and talk" but the truth is that there actually is a fair bit of walk and talk moments in this game. Also it's not like they'll show all these w&t segments in gameplay teasers designed to get you to buy the game! Corey himself said that the boat sections are designed to get interactions between the characters but that may be well and good for the first play of the game but on subsequent runs that'll be massively irritating as the characters will never regurgitating info you already know and going through an arc that you know the end of. It is not good design to have these moments and I wish people would stop pretending these moments are acceptable as all they really do is reduce games to a single play experience so they honestly may as well be movies. Also Corey has definitely cited The Last of Us as a big influence on the game so all those saying "Last of Us comparisons are wrong" etc are just wrong. I know it's an exclusive but why is there such a silly defending force for this game? Yeah the previews were good but those are from journalists that are part of the hype machine - they play games once and then move on to review the next so replayability means nothing to them.

To all you story gamers: why does the ability to replay a game not matter to you? And if you aren't bothered by slow sections of walk and talk on replays: why? I genuinely want to know. It really makes me think I'm in a huge minority of gamers to not be wanting scripted segments that I cannot skip that force me to go wait through information I already know and understand.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
exactly how I felt watching that footage. unfortunate, but that seems to be the state of a lot of big budget single player AAA games these days.

just CONSTANTLY taking control away from the player. super frustrating.
CONSTANTLY

(based on one clip of a 30 hour game)

Last edited:

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
It's things like this that the vehement defenders of this game seem to really miss. Honestly I think those blindly defending this game are worse than those hating it because you see so many say sarcastic comments like "ooh yeah look at that walk and talk" but the truth is that there actually is a fair bit of walk and talk moments in this game. Also it's not like they'll show all these w&t segments in gameplay teasers designed to get you to buy the game! Corey himself said that the boat sections are designed to get interactions between the characters but that may be well and good for the first play of the game but on subsequent runs that'll be massively irritating as the characters will never regurgitating info you already know and going through an arc that you know the end of. It is not good design to have these moments and I wish people would stop pretending these moments are acceptable as all they really do is reduce games to a single play experience so they honestly may as well be movies. Also Corey has definitely cited The Last of Us as a big influence on the game so all those saying "Last of Us comparisons are wrong" etc are just wrong. I know it's an exclusive but why is there such a silly defending force for this game? Yeah the previews were good but those are from journalists that are part of the hype machine - they play games once and then move on to review the next so replayability means nothing to them.

To all you story gamers: why does the ability to replay a game not matter to you? And if you aren't bothered by slow sections of walk and talk on replays: why? I genuinely want to know. It really makes me think I'm in a huge minority of gamers to not be wanting scripted segments that I cannot skip that force me to go wait through information I already know and understand.
I replayed Tlou of us 3 times because the gameplay was fun, so no i don't think a good story or "walking segments" detract from a games replayability, because honestly the taking control away from the player stuff is really overblown, most of the tlou is gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017

Trying to pretend replay value is a legitimate issue to ding a heavily story focused game on, especially when the vast majority of people who play games don't finish them once is fucking stupid. Like you apparently habitually replay games? Cool. Statistics say you don't matter.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The flaw is your thinking is that wanting to replay is a merely a technical thing, like simply wanting to get a high score and just get better skill wise or whatever. That for something to be replayable, it has to offer something new or different. That since something has the same parts the second time you play, it is not replayable because you know what happens. That's a very restrictive perspective on the nature of replay value.

The difference in perspective is that you (and others who share similar responses) view replay as this purely technical objective thing, and also view "narrative" as something separate and distinct from "gameplay". You see those notions in all the comments about how you can't just skip cutscenes and get to the action, or how because it slows down the game and makes other playthroughs slower, then it's bad. I mean, look at how you phrased it: "story gamers", like those people are just playing for the story and don't care about the "actual" gameplay

I replay games for the same reason I rewatch movies I've seen a dozen times before (ie The Raid, The Thing, etc, etc.) and reread books I've read before (ie World War Z, the Jack Reacher novels, Salem's Lot, etc.). Because I enjoyed the experience and want to enjoy it again. That's all something needs to be replayable. It's as simple as that

I'm not annoyed by slower sections because the experience as a whole is why I'm replaying, like Last of Us for example. Not just the action, but the journey as a whole. The slower parts and relationship building is just as integral and important and enjoyable as the shooting, stabbing, and stealth. The game would be a worse experience without the latter because of how they are entwined and support eachother.

This notion of "but I know what happens, so how can it be replayable?" is just baffling to me. It's like asking someone why they listen to a favorite song again or watch a favorite movie again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I've played TLOU twice now, enjoying the second playthrough because I could focus on things i may have missed the first time around, checking every nook and cranny, stockpiling shivs etc. the narrative was in no way interrupting my fun. I see nothing wrong with walk and talk sections, i encounter them far more in open world games where they are mostly walking and i've replayed the ezio trilogy twice and had just as much fun. I've played halo 4 three times and had just as much fun, regardless of the later promethean sections. I've also replayed the first uncharted twice now despite it being the worst, same thing with tomb raider 2013.
Even then, I group walk and talk sections in the same category as puzzles, I will have to do them again anyways and on subsequent playthroughs they might as well be connect the dots so i don't duel on it.

I've played arkham asylum about 4 times now, I don't care that i will have to run across the island multiple times back and forth or that i will have to fight scarecrow 3 times in each playthrough. If the overall package is good I will probably replay it.
Replayability, to me, means having an enjoyable overall package that will make me want to replay it, regardless of the amount of walk and talk/puzzle sections, and i usually do this without skipping cutscenes. I never skipped a scene in my multiple arkham replays. In fact, the only time I have voluntarily skipped scenes was in black ops3 when i simply didn't like the narrative enough to listen to "follow the white forest" for the umpteenth time, and that was my first and only playthrough. To me, any game is replay-able as long as the overall package is fun/engaging.

In fact, I have replayed arkham asylum and city multiple times now that I can probably tell you the sequence of events that happen in the main story, and I promise I will still replay them both at least once more. Same thing with TLOU, with all its walk and talk sections.

I don't see what point you're trying to make? Neither of these are cuts.
I think he is reinforcing your point, transitions aren't cuts.

Last edited:

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
The flaw is your thinking is that wanting to replay is a merely a technical thing, like simply wanting to get a high score and just get better skill wise or whatever. That for something to be replayable, it has to offer something new or different. That since something has the same parts the second time you play, it is not replayable because you know what happens.That's a very restrictive perspective on the nature of replay value.

I replay games for the same reason I rewatch movies I've seen a dozen times before (ie The Raid, The Thing, etc, etc.) and reread books I've read before (ie World War Z, the Jack Reacher novels, Salem's Lost, etc.). Because I enjoyed the experience and want to enjoy it again. That's all something needs to be replayable. It's as simple as that

I'm not annoyed by slower sections because the experience as a whole is why I'm replaying, like Last of Us for example. Not just the action, but the journey as a whole. The slower parts and relationship building is just as integral and important and enjoyable as the shooting, stabbing, and stealth.

This notion of "but I know what happens, so how can it be replayable?" is just baffling to me. It's like asking someone why they listen to a favorite song again or watch a favorite movie again.
Agreed. Its also true of linear non-cinematic games as well. The act of replaying these games are similar to watching a movie again or listening to song you've heard before. If I replayed something like Metal Gear Rising again, the experience would be slightly different but the experience would be still be the thing I've witnessed before. I know what happens in that game.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
People thinking that's a cut makes me wonder how informed they are with film. That ain't a cut.