• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone know where Ryne is post-5.3? Are we just gonna be doing the last tier of Eden w/o Thancred, then?
She is probably done with being in the MSQ, if her final monologue is any indication
Alphinaud and Alisaie will definitely be the new jobs. Alisaie (god bless our crayon eating gremlin) mourned the fact that neither of them got an upgrade. G'raha is all-in-one right now--and is apparently a much better Trust than the others--so I'm not sure if they'll give him a Job at any point.
Speaking of the twins, maybe the 6.0 cinematic will finally be a cinematic that will feature one of them too. I think you could take it that way as well.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, my biggest fear going forward towards 6.0, is that I fear they might do something like having Zenos kill G'raha to build up Zenos's threat. Hoping the writers won't do something that sloppy. Build up to a huge positive ending in 5.3, and needing to bring us/WoL down for the Expansion.

Just feel that with everyone currently alive and back from The First, is a big death flag for 5.4/5.5.

I doubt they have the balls to kill G'raha and deal with people with pitchforks outside the SE offices.

Probably Y'shtola and him have plot armor for the rest of the game life.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
they also effectively had a death scene for G'raha already. Doing it again "but for real" would be dumb lol.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't think they would be that dumb. If they wanted G'raha dead he would have died as the Crystal Exarch. Zenos could kill somebody has a way to get us to fight but I doubt it.
Zero chance of Tia dying anytime soon after he survived his journey in the first. If he dies, then it will be in 6.X, but not 6.0 imo.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they kill Y'shtola no one would believe it because of how often they fake out her death

Thancred got like three fakeout death flags in ShB too. It's really hard to believe any more Scions will die.

I was LEGITIMATELY concerned when Aymeric got stabbed, for example. By the end of ShB I was just like "STOP".

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Game practically refuses to kill characters. Papalymo is the only long-standing character I can think of, and never got a huge push anyway. Haurchefaunt is still the one most talked about, which goes to show how little it happens cuz he was just an 'okay' character.

Graha Tia has already had too many close calls and fake outs, where we've thought he'd die for the last few patches. No way he dies now in a game where everyone walks things off. Let's push Merlwyb for once in the next expansion, and maybe kill her off.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thancred got like three fakeout death flags in ShB too. It's really hard to believe any more Scions will die.

I was LEGITIMATELY concerned when Aymeric got stabbed, for example. By the end of ShB I was just like "STOP".
I really thought they were gonna kill him off in 5.3 because they sure seemed to be setting it up, but of course NOPE

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I really thought they were gonna kill him off in 5.3 because they sure seemed to be setting it up, but of course NOPE

? Thancred was nowhere near death flags in 5.3. He had a fainting spell that Y'shtola replicated and that's it.

Game practically refuses to kill characters. Papalymo is the only long-standing character I can think of, and never got a huge push anyway. Haurchefaunt is still the one most talked about, which goes to show how little it happens cuz he was just an 'okay' character.

Minfillia literally just died in Shadowbringers. Granted her replacement was a million times better and its Minfillia, but still.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Minfillia literally just died in Shadowbringers. Granted her replacement was a million times better and its Minfillia, but still.
Minfillia is a weird case, since she had a replacement, and hasn't really been the same person since ARR anyway. I'd hesitate to say she was even a person afterwards. Not saying that doesn't count, but even that case wasn't just a pure death, more of a joining (I think? Kind of confused tbh)

I think Papalymo will come back anyway lol
I refused to look him up after the event, cuz I expected to say he pops up afterwards. Was actually surprised when I caught up this week and he was still gone.

I personally also expect him to pop back up eventually.

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Graha Tia has already had too many close calls and fake outs, where we've thought he'd die for the last few patches. No way he dies now in a game where everyone walks things off. Let's push Merlwyb for once in the next expansion, and maybe kill her off.

I think Papalymo will come back anyway lol

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese player base apparently loves Zenos so that's why he's back for real. Like it or not, they hold more sway over what Yoshi-P does than the western fanbase, despite being much smaller overall. Only in cases with extreme western backlash such as the no needing for a while in 24 man raids will they defer to the western audience over the Japanese.
Can they please convince Yoshi to make the FFXIII Blm/Whm weapons two handed cause that's gonna bother me until they do that

Village

Oct 25, 2017

New writer might , I thought she said something about " everytime I let someone live it comes at a price" so if she stays on . Some of them might be fucking dead

What i'm saying is thancred and Urangier lord of pranks is fucking dead

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm a be 100% real for a second. I care way more about Papalymo's death then Haurchefaunt's death.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
What i'm saying is thancred and Urangier lord of pranks is fucking dead
Omg I actually do think Urianger may be the next one to go. Only because he's had very little near death experiences, and mainly because I love him with all my heart. He's probably the only character who would fuck me up if they died.

On another note, what was the name of the Ascian who became Haedelyns heart? I was thinking it was the WoL one but think I they had different names. If it was the WoL then could we be primals like Elidibus?

I imagine we're not that Ascian tho, since I imagine I'd have heard more people talk about it

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't really fan of the guy?
He didn't stick with me. I felt nothing during that scene and when our character reacted the way he did I was like "Oh okay I guess he was important to our character" but for me it didn't really hit me like it did most others. Meanwhile with Papalymo he was a scion that we straight up lost also right after losing Minfilia to sacrifice herself to save the first.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't stick with me. I felt nothing during that scene and when our character reacted the way he did I was like "Oh okay I guess he was important to our character" but for me it didn't really hit me like it did most others. Meanwhile with Papalymo he was a scion that we straight up lost also right after losing Minfilia to sacrifice herself to save the first.
I think both of them are rather sad. Though I felt more sad for his dad more so than him. His character was fine, I found his advances towards our character creepy rather than endeering. But at the end of the day he stood up for what's right and his death effecting the other's is what kind of hit home. Paps was sad for me because ...he died because of someone elses fuck up. Like that sucks, that fucking sucks. Griffin whatever his real name i forget , I just holyshit. Everthing this guy did was bad and harmed and killed people and he ended up doing jack shit in terms of actually helping his cause he even powered up the bad guy in the end. Didn't feel nothing for miniflia, actually was asking for her departure. So glad when Ryne became Ryne. Just leave all that behind.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Omg I actually do think Urianger may be the next one to go. Only because he's had very little near death experiences, and mainly because I love him with all my heart. He's probably the only character who would fuck me up if they died.

On another note, what was the name of the Ascian who became Haedelyns heart? I was thinking it was the WoL one but think I they had different names. If it was the WoL then could we be primals like Elidibus?

I imagine we're not that Ascian tho, since I imagine I'd have heard more people talk about it

Are you thinking of Venat?

Azem is definitely the WoL's original incarnation, that much has been made abundantly clear. But Venat was the leader of the Hydaelyn splinter faction, I believe.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

The ascian we are supposed to be connected to apperently wasn't on the zodiark or haedelyn team. As for Urianger, someone else will have to play yugioh and do sick pranks in his stead. I would nominate alphinaud but he's probably gonna do politics and stuff

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some lore questions that I've been confused about for awhile:

1) It seems that the "unsundered" were split into (13? 14?) many parts after the conflict between Hydaelyn and Zodiark. But like...how does this work in practice? People die, people are born, for thousands of years. Could all people theoretically be brought back together to be unsundered again? Hasn't population increased? Where does the shard of a person go when someone dies? I feel like the answer to this is "don't think about it", but I'm curious if I'm misunderstanding something.

2) What's the deal with "calamities", anyway? It seems like the Ascians refer to it as "the rejoining of a shard back into the whole", but invariably it seems like calamities are just "a really bad thing happens", like Bahamut fucking up the planet. How are these related? Aren't entire shards deleted out of existence when this is supposed to happen, not just a bunch of war or whatever?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I don't think they'll kill scions until the very last few battles personally. And if they do...death means next to nothing in FF14 at this point lol

1) It seems that the "unsundered" were split into (13? 14?) many parts after the conflict between Hydaelyn and Zodiark. But like...how does this work in practice? People die, people are born, for thousands of years. Could all people theoretically be brought back together to be unsundered again? Hasn't population increased? Where does the shard of a person go when someone dies? I feel like the answer to this is "don't think about it", but I'm curious if I'm misunderstanding something.

2) What's the deal with "calamities", anyway? It seems like the Ascians refer to it as "the rejoining of a shard back into the whole", but invariably it seems like calamities are just "a really bad thing happens", like Bahamut fucking up the planet. How are these related? Aren't entire shards deleted out of existence when this is supposed to happen, not just a bunch of war or whatever?
1. It kinda goes back to that whole "we return to the planet thing" and reincarnation. Souls/aether are believed to be like...recycled and reborn. I think new souls (like sundered ascians) are possible to be "created" but there's still the perspective of a soul on each shard/the source only being 1/14th of an actual person.

2. Yeah it's like every eon or so a world wide event happens. For example there was a great flood and that's why there's an allagan looking boat on top of one of the mountains in stormblood. Essentially every Calamity coincides with a shard rejoining except when they botched the darkness one.

The Source is the main part that they're trying to use to "reabsorb" the shards, so the shards get "deleted" in a sense yeah, but the source has to undergo a world shattering event as well. Bahamut for example is considered a Calamity I believe and before that I think it was Allag's fall.

Descriptions of Calamities

I honestly wish we'd actually get one (maybe after the next expac since they seem to be saying this is the "final" tale coming up or something) so we can actually see that as the ARR reset was kinda...standard but that was also because it was literally a relaunch simultaneously with a live mmo.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

1) The Ascians don't really care about anyone who isn't a sundered shard of an Ancient. A Rejoining would probably kill all of them.

2) There's actually a fairly detailed explanation given in game of the aetherial implications of Calamities and what constitutes one of them. The calamity itself isn't necessarily the war or Bahamut's attack, but rather the planet's aetherial overcompensation AFTER those events. A Calamity occurring causes the Source to aether from another shard to replenish itself/heal the damage done to it, consuming that shard in the process.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

The Unsundered weren't split at all, hence there name and there only being three of them.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2) There's actually a fairly detailed explanation given in game of the aetherial implications of Calamities and what constitutes one of them. The calamity itself isn't necessarily the war or Bahamut's attack, but rather the planet's aetherial overcompensation AFTER those events. A Calamity occurring causes the Source to aether from another shard to replenish itself/heal the damage done to it, consuming that shard in the process.
Got it. This makes sense. Thanks!

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Minfillia is a weird case, since she had a replacement, and hasn't really been the same person since ARR anyway. I'd hesitate to say she was even a person afterwards. Not saying that doesn't count, but even that case wasn't just a pure death, more of a joining (I think? Kind of confused tbh).
Eeeeeeh, there's really not much reason to think she isn't do just fine and is alive and well on the First until you actually end up going there and find out how fucked everything is. Also, she's still mostly herself when she isn't being used as Hydaelyn's microphone, thought they explained that pretty well.

I'm a be 100% real for a second. I care way more about Papalymo's death then Haurchefaunt's death.
How can you not mourn *reads writing on palm* Horse-Elephant?

i headcanon that his grave is ysayle's instead

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Do you (or anyone else) know where Ryne is physically, specifically located post 5.3? She's obviously still on the First in the story, but like, specifically where is the NPC on the First. I wanted to see if she had any new lines of dialogue post-5.3 or if she just isn't placed as an NPC in the open world post-5.3

EDIT: I checked the The Empty and The Ocular, no dice, dunno where else she would be

I was wondering if they would do some time bubble shit and have 5.4 Eden take place pre-5.3 story-wise, but I don't know if they've ever had story told non-linearly before, so it's probably just up to WoL/D to babysit instead of Papa Thancred
In addition to those places, I checked the Pendants, the other apartments, the markets, the cabinet of curiosity, Mord Souq... no idea where she and gaia can be found, if anywhere rn.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know the best part about G'raha now being a Scion?

No more completely white hair Scions!!! yaaaaaay!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been thinking about G'raha. Did the Warrior of Light basically kill the original when they went back to the Crystal Tower with his memory crystal? They overwrote the original's memory with the Exarch's. He has the Exarch's memories and personality. We killed the original G'raha Tia. :(

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about G'raha. Did the Warrior of Light basically kill the original when they went back to the Crystal Tower with his memory crystal? They overwrote the original's memory with the Exarch's. He has the Exarch's memories and personality. We killed the original G'raha Tia. :(
Merger. His soul is denser than before, and he possesses both sets of memories.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I miss Lyse and it broke my heart that she paid more attention to the buff hot Monk in the level 80 quest than me. She needs to come back and they need to give back her spunk and fun attitude.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Like Sibylus said, the two souls merged together. The version we have is a combination of the two, which is part of why he mostly reverts back to his pre-Exarch personality.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Lyse and it broke my heart that she paid more attention to the buff hot Monk in the level 80 quest than me. She needs to come back and they need to give back her spunk and fun attitude.

Lyse has become a leader so now her role has been reduced to sparodically appear throw some lines and dissapear like the rest of the nation leaders.

I miss Merlwyb :(

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't necessarily dislike any characters, I like them all in their own ways. Even Zenos, I think it's exciting having a Force Of Nature rival. Although that's partly because of my WoL's headcanon that sees him as a rival.

Also on the topic of what's after 6.0, I hope we get some time to just adventure. I think it would be too quick to immediately move to a new, overarching plotline right after the current arc ends, it'll have been 9 years since ARR by the time 6.3 rolls around if they keep the same patch schedule. I think our WoL deserves some time to travel the world a bit without a world/ universe level threat looming over everyone's shoulders.

Right now, my biggest fear going forward towards 6.0, is that I fear they might do something like having Zenos kill G'raha to build up Zenos's threat. Hoping the writers won't do something that sloppy. Build up to a huge positive ending in 5.3, and needing to bring us/WoL down for the Expansion.

Just feel that with everyone currently alive and back from The First, is a big death flag for 5.4/5.5.
It's definitely not happening. Everyone was ready for him to die in 5.3 and they still decided to let him live. People have valid criticism that no one important seems to stay dead, but I still think they did an absolutely fantastic job with "killing" G'raha but also giving him a new beginning. The Exarch died that day so G'raha could be free. Now he's an adventurer alongside the person he looks up to most after all of his years of hard work.

1. You've got it slightly wrong, the Unsundered aren't split, the Sundered are. And if all aether returns to the Lifestream, a very dense soul might be "reused" in a sense as a new person. At least that's how I see it, I think it's up to interpretation though. The game does a fantastic job at balancing a canon WoL personality and past to make story beats more personal and interesting to make your personal character feel like a real person, while still keeping enough open to interpretation to still roleplay your OC.

Also a quick reminder that the game's lore is told from the perspective of real history books, where we're not given hard facts, but observations by researchers and scientists. It's what makes this game's lore so exciting to me, it just feels so real. We've even been told the Lorebooks aren't hard facts, and are mostly observations as written records. They could be hard facts...but some facts are just as unknown as they are in real life.

2. When the elements are knocked out of balance and one specific element takes over and becomes overly dominant, it begins to "leak" to the Source through a bottleneck. We've seen that this can go too far, with how the 13th shard became the Void after being taken over completely by Darkness and is basically unusable. When a shard's aether is leaking into the Source, a big enough disaster on the Source causes the Source to "crack", breaking the bottleneck and causing a flood of aspected ether into the Source, aka a Calamity. The past 7 calamities are all the result of shards being pushed towards a specific elementally aspected aether, and the Source being cracked to let it all flood in.

Last edited:

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1. You've got it slightly wrong, the Unsundered aren't split, the Sundered are. And if all aether returns to the Lifestream, a very dense soul might be "reused" in a sense as a new person. At least that's how I see it, I think it's up to interpretation though. The game does a fantastic job at balancing a canon WoL personality and past to make story beats more personal and interesting to make your personal character feel like a real person, while still keeping enough open to interpretation to still roleplay your OC.
Oh, it was poor wording on my part...I meant the "previously unsundered" then became "sundered". i.e., the ancients of Amaurot split into 14 pieces. Presumably this new, sundered population lived mortal lives on the 14 worlds, and then died, but the wording of our Ascian friends (and directly seeing WoL absorb Ardbert, as both seem to be "the same person") implies these fragments can be brought back together.

So my question was like...all those sundered people had kids and then died, presumably, but I guess the souls are just bouncing around the lifestream, being reborn into various people.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Oh, it was poor wording on my part...I meant the "previously unsundered" then became "sundered". i.e., the ancients of Amaurot split into 14 pieces. Presumably this new, sundered population lived mortal lives on the 14 worlds, and then died, but the wording of our Ascian friends (and directly seeing WoL absorb Ardbert, as both seem to be "the same person") implies these fragments can be brought back together.

So my question was like...all those sundered people had kids and then died, presumably, but I guess the souls are just bouncing around the lifestream, being reborn into various people.
From what I understand, it should be like the concept of reincarnation. When people die, their souls go back to the lifestream before being reborn into their new bodies. Their souls will always be the same, but with new memories each time they are reborn. You can think of it like each soul has its own color, and the color won't change no matter how many time they die and reborn and they won't mix together creating new colors. Each world has the same set of souls (1/14 of the ancients' souls) at the start but they all have their own journey from there, but the color of each soul and the total amount of souls will always be the same since then.
These are all self-contained process within each of the 14 worlds, so the only way they can be brought back together is by the Rejoining (except for the WoL case).

As for accounting for the increase in population, they don't really have anything to say about it but you can just assume that the amount of souls far exceed the amount of people living in any given time, so there will always be plenty of souls left in the lifestream ready to be reborn into new bodies. There may also be a process of the world culling the population once they don't have enough souls for the bodies.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Krile has been a scion since Heavensward but go off I guess.

I mean sure but she hasn't been "in the field" I feel like for awhile. Important still.

And then of course this expansion it was just the other characters primarily. Made this art work a bit funny:

Ym2OY5i.jpg

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please let Alisaie be a Berseker in the next expansion. I can only imagine how funny and sick this would be lol. With all her outbursts Berserker would be a nice surprise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lyse has become a leader so now her role has been reduced to sparodically appear throw some lines and dissapear like the rest of the nation leaders.

I miss Merlwyb :(

I miss Aymeric and his completely impractical sword (did he paint it? why is it that blue!?). The funny part is that out of the nation leaders, it feels like Aymeric and Raubahn are still relatively present, while Kan-E-Senna and Merlwyb are almost total background characters.

And then Lyse just completely bailed on everyone. Like even in the major faction leader scenes she's never around.