• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
In my run through the ff14 story this year I would echo that minfilia was the worst characterized scion.
I didn't start in Gridania so for me, that's Papalymo. I literally didn't even call him by his actual name because he was such a non-character for me until he resurfaced at the end of HW's patched, had a burst of characterization, and then promptly died.

M'naago should have lead the resistence.
I like Lyse, but it's true. Although whats-his-name shouldn't have been leading in the first place since he was an idiot.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
You see, the impression I got was that Thancred was in love with Minfilia... But I could have just misread it.

It was the common misunderstanding by the populace, (and much less so in the JP version due to the words used in that script) because of Thancred's ladies man personality and Minnie being young and pretty.

She's his daughter basically, which is one of the reasons I think they made Ryne younger than Minfilia so it would be more blatant.

Wasn't aware; still doesn't apply to most people complaining or change the fact that it's still Lyse. Yda-as-viewed-by-Lyse is still informing of Lyse as a character.

Yeah if you didn't play 1.0 you have no idea how Yda actually acted, but I feel it's valid to say you prefer her to Lyse based on Lyse's performance of her, simply because once the truth comes out that old personality is completely gone.

It'd be one thing if Lyse still showed traces of that person she was pretending to be (hell it'd be expected) but she turned that shit off like she was a deep cover spy the moment the truth came out and was completely different, so I can get people being kinda turned off.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't start in Gridania so for me, that's Papalymo. I literally didn't even call him by his actual name because he was such a non-character for me until he resurfaced at the end of HW's patched, had a burst of characterization, and then promptly died.

I like Lyse, but it's true. Although whats-his-name shouldn't have been leading in the first place since he was an idiot.
Y'shtola been hauling ass since 2.0 Limsa

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I liked that they tried to give her some sort of redemption.

Even though I hated all the Sri Lakshmi stuff in Ala Mhigo.
Stormblood for all its faults handled the concept of redemption with a refreshing amount of nuance and maturity. With both Fordola and Yotsuyu. Namely in that they arent ever really forgiven, even at the end. They both just accept there culpability in what they did and let themselves be judged accordingly.

In 5.1, the girl telling Fordola she will never forgive her for the things she did but can thank her for saving them today is some of XIV's strongest stuff.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't start in Gridania either but Limsa Lominsa. It's really a race to the bottom for that trio but for Papalymo I at least saw him do stuff twice. One time during the escape from Uldah and the other time when he sealed Shinryuu.
Minfilia's greatness at large is implied barely ever explicitly shown and it sucks. I wish we had more moments with her being a badass leader. Instead my most prominent memory is her getting kidnapped to save the other people in the waking sands.
I hope they pick up Lyse again to do more with her.

I will say though overall FF14 has been very slow in making me care about the scions. Like I pretty much reached Stormblood and by then I was like I guess Alphinaud and Tataru are okay. I only started caring about Urianger in ShB in full seeing his hijinks with the fairies, similar with Thancred and seeing his implied relationship with Minfilia better recontextualized for us non 1.0 players in ShB.

4.1 or 5.3 are probably my favorite post story patches in general I haven't been the biggest fan of them overall as they felt like a bit of a slog.

Last edited:

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Just wanted to drop in and say i loved this expansion. I'm a pretty casual player, completed ARR and HW but dropped off at SB. Now im Ilvl 490 and completed 5.3.

Now i just sub when patch drops and complete current Raids/ MSQ untill my month sub runs out. Then i unsub till next patch.

Although i am doing Dwarf tribe quests daily as i will want Tank mount.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically all of Yda's appeal as a character was in her partnership with Papalymo, and they killed the little dude off, sooooo. They could have saved it by giving her an actual character, but Stormblood was less than interested in the Ala Mhigan side of things to begin with. idk the Yda -> Lyse thing always seemed extremely contrived for no particular gain.

Minfillia hate is mostly Waking Sands memes, with some misogyny and ARR being poo at showing instead of telling thrown in for good measure. Fanbase would probably have liked her if she was out throwing daggers or some shit instead of just calling you on your cellphone to come and talk to her.

Alphinaud and Tataru are perfect cinnamon rolls send tweet

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood for all its faults handled the concept of redemption with a refreshing amount of nuance and maturity. With both Fordola and Yotsuyu. Namely in that they arent ever really forgiven, even at the end. They both just accept there culpability in what they did and let themselves be judged accordingly.

In 5.1, the girl telling Fordola she will never forgive her for the things she did but can thank her for saving them today is some of XIV's strongest stuff.
I honestly find it hilarious that Stormblood essentially has two different plotlines with two sets of villains consisting of two characters (a main bad guy and a miniboss leader) and in the Gyr Abanian one, the main bad guys is flat and boring while the miniboss is layered and interesting but in the Doman one the main bad guys is layered and interesting and the miniboss is flat and boring.

Honestly if Yotsuyu and Fordola just axed off their counterparts early-ish on Stormblood would be a much more enjoyable expansion.

I didn't start in Gridania either but Limsa Lominsa. It's really a race to the bottom for that trio but for Papalymo I at least saw him do stuff twice. One time during the escape from Uldah and the other time when he sealed Shinryuu.
Minfilia's greatness at large is implied barely ever explicitly shown and it sucks. I wish we had more moments with her being a badass leader. Instead my most prominent memory is her getting kidnapped to save the other people in the waking sands.
I hope they pick up Lyse again to do more with her.
I can at least see why Minfilia is great from the implications of her being the leader of the scions and having so many connections throughout Eorzea and she still has a nice enough personality. But yeah, Yda!Lyse and Papalymo really just don't have anything going for them and working with them on the Sylph stuff in ARR is a slog. It's especially egregious since I'm fairly certain that those plotlines were largely meant to establish character for the Scions before chucking them out the window after the attack on the Walking Sands.

If I had to rank when I first became interested in the original Scions as characters....

Alphinaud: 2.0
Alisae: 2.X
Y'shtola: 2.0 (from intro)
Minfilia: 2.0/2.X
Thancred: 2.X/3.X
Urianger: 3.X
Tataru: 3.0
Lyse: 3.55
Papalymo: 3.55

Basically all of Yda's appeal as a character was in her partnership with Papalymo, and they killed the little dude off, sooooo. They could have saved it by giving her an actual character, but Stormblood was less than interested in the Ala Mhigan side of things to begin with. idk the Yda -> Lyse thing always seemed extremely contrived for no particular gain.
I don't think that's true or we would have ended things in Doma. I think they just accidentally put too good a writer on the Doman side of things and so it looks that way because the quality of writing is so lopsided

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved "Yda" prior to her revealing herself to be Lyse, and was honestly so excited for her arc after Papalymo's sacrifice because I loved their dynamic and wanted to see how his loss would affect her and her journey. Unfortunately, I did find that arc to be an aggressively dull one, and found her, as a character who is supposed to grow into some big figure for the Resistance, to be really difficult to take seriously.

Frankly, Stormblood has so much fantastic character work across the board that I'm shocked that the only two exceptions to that (IMO) are the ostensible main protagonist (Lyse) and the main villain (Zenos).

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I just realized that I don't remember anything about Thancred in ARR other than he becomes Thancrabrea

Or as my husband calls him...The Traitor!!! XD

The main thing I remember about him is that he was a shameless ladies man. That, and I really liked his voice actor. He was one of the few ARR VAs that were pretty good.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, other than Alphinaud most of the scions were the least interesting characters in every expansion.

I once told one of my friends that I feel the writers would've liked to create new characters rather than sticking with the ones from 1.0

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
Honestly, other than Alphinaud most of the scions were the least interesting characters in every expansion.

I once told one of my friends that I feel the writers would've liked to create new characters rather than sticking with the ones from 1.0

Maybe they were the least interesting character but I think that in Shadowbringers they were more flashed out and have a major role in comparison with other expansions. Y'shtola is still the best character of the group. Anyway it's clear that 1.0 is a burden for the developers, I think there's a reason because Shadowbringers has the best story and it's that is unrelated for the most part with the events in the Source.

I think the game would benefit of a time skip. When they close the Ascian arc, maybe we'll have a jump of a couple of years with new Scions or not Scions at all but with strong secondary characters.

Alphinaud is still the most annoying character of the game for me, I wish they go for a coming of age adventure all by themselves and come back grown up.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly character wise I think the Warriors of Darkness have been one of ff14 greatest triumph(excluding villains). Considering how well it builds each of them up and gets to the point very quickly. Hope the Scions step it up a notch.
I was on board with each featured character during the role quests. Maybe make the Scions part of non MSQ content more.

Also I kind of tried to erase it from my mind but Hien was such a dumbass of a character. The way you could tell him to not trust Asahi through dialogue choices and the way he responded to the whole situation after it went to shit along the lines of "guess we shouldn't have trusted Asahi" made me actively mad. Also despite my advice 0 additional precautions were taken. I get it, it's the story but then they shouldn't have made it possible to warn Hien so explicitly.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
Frankly, Stormblood has so much fantastic character work across the board that I'm shocked that the only two exceptions to that (IMO) are the ostensible main protagonist (Lyse) and the main villain (Zenos).

Stormblood should have ended with the Doma arc and have Tsukuyomi as the final boss. Would have been perfect, after Hien part the story goes downhill that even the team seemed to care more for Doma events than Ala Mhigo ones.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I think all the scions are in a great place. Alisaie and Alphinaud fell off toward the end of the expansion but they even acknowledge that in story. I even like Krile right now.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood should have ended with the Doma arc and have Tsukuyomi as the final boss. Would have been perfect, after Hien part the story goes downhill that even the team seemed to care more for Doma events than Ala Mhigo ones.

The Doma arc is definitely the highlight of base SB for me, and I thought it ended really perfectly, such that I audibly groaned post-SB credits when we see that Gosetsu and Yotsuyu survived. That they managed to take that scene and make from it what is maybe my favorite story in the whole game will never cease to astound me. The Amaurot storyline is the only one that's really competition to it imo.

I think all the scions are in a great place. Alisae and Alphinaud fell off toward the end of the expansion but they even acknowledge that in story. I even like Krile right now.

Yeah, I feel pretty good about most of the scions atm. Right now I think it's Alisae who needs the most love from the writers. She's had a handful of arcs to herself, but it's only the Ga Bu* stuff that's really done anything for me. I have faith in them though! If they can make the Ascians compelling, I'm pretty sure they can do anything

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
As someone that personally likes Lyse a lot... I hope she fights with us on the frontlines against Garlemald/Zenos in 6.0. She has more potential to be a better character and I just dont get the hate she gets so much. I personally loved her voice actress a lot.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all never even met Y'da, that's canonically literally just Lyse trying to be her sister.

I see my brother already said it but yeah, 1.0 Yda (where it's actually her) is the same as 2.0 Yda (where Lyse is pretending to be her). Lyse being lame is all her lol.

It ain't even like she has to be jokes like Yda was to be cool, Ysayle was awesome and she was serious as a heart attack most of the time. She just doesn't have it, for whatever reason, and then the game pushes her when it doesn't really feel earned. Like, M'naago as the leader would have actually been better IMO.

Oh, and also:

Alisaie. There are two I's in her name.

This has been your public service announcement. *ding ding dinnnng*

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, my biggest fear going forward towards 6.0, is that I fear they might do something like having Zenos kill G'raha to build up Zenos's threat. Hoping the writers won't do something that sloppy. Build up to a huge positive ending in 5.3, and needing to bring us/WoL down for the Expansion.

Just feel that with everyone currently alive and back from The First, is a big death flag for 5.4/5.5.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I think all the scions are in a great place. Alisaie and Alphinaud fell off toward the end of the expansion but they even acknowledge that in story. I even like Krile right now.

Alphinaud might've fallen off at the end, but post ARR to HW he was more developed than anyone scion in SHB IMO.

I really hope if there is a 7.0 none of scions would be present. And we start the expansion with totally new characters.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017

Hard disagree with this one, Y'shtola has always been good, Thancred came into his own pretty early, Urianger is interesting whenever the writers have him actually do something which was "almost never" until ShB.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So does anyone know where Ryne is post-5.3? Are we just gonna be doing the last tier of Eden w/o Thancred, then?

EDIT: to be more clear, I'm asking about where she is physically located as an NPC post 5.3, if anywhere

Last edited:

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
As someone that personally likes Lyse a lot... I hope she fights with us on the frontlines against Garlemald/Zenos in 6.0. She has more potential to be a better character and I just dont get the hate she gets so much. I personally loved her voice actress a lot.

As someone who really really doesn't like Lyse, I hope they turn her character around, especially if she joins us in 6.0. I do think she has potential. I just want her to be more than the poster child of a resistance she had no business leading.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, Y'shtola always fell flat for me apart from roasting Magnai.

It's not her fault though, it's because the version of her we saw in 1.0 seemed way more enigmatic and interesting (not to mention considerably more powerful) and we never got to see that version fully realized.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Right now, my biggest fear going forward towards 6.0, is that I fear they might do something like having Zenos kill G'raha to build up Zenos's threat. Hoping the writers won't do something that sloppy. Build up to a huge positive ending in 5.3, and needing to bring us/WoL down for the Expansion.

Just feel that with everyone currently alive and back from The First, is a big death flag for 5.4/5.5.
I don't think they'll kill anyone that we can select as a Trust. I don't have much of a reason for believing this other than thinking they won't take away Trust options after the trouble they went to when creating the system in the first place.

My biggest issue with Stormblood is that we didn't actually win. The stories themselves never really wrapped up so much as they kinda just stopped. Doma isn't really rebuilt yet and Ala Mhigo is still a shithole. They tried to go a little too highbrow with the concept that just because you won a war doesn't mean the problem is solved. Especially when said war felt like a big wet fart.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I see my brother already said it but yeah, 1.0 Yda (where it's actually her) is the same as 2.0 Yda (where Lyse is pretending to be her). Lyse being lame is all her lol.

It ain't even like she has to be jokes like Yda was to be cool, Ysayle was awesome and she was serious as a heart attack most of the time. She just doesn't have it, for whatever reason, and then the game pushes her when it doesn't really feel earned. Like, M'naago as the leader would have actually been better IMO.
It's hard to have tight grasp of how much time passes in FF14, but was Yda dead a year before 1.0?

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Hard disagree with this one, Y'shtola has always been good, Thancred came into his own pretty early, Urianger is interesting whenever the writers have him actually do something which was "almost never" until ShB.

Y'shtola was boring in ARR like every other Scion.

Didn't feel anyone was well developed until they started with Alphinaud post ARR and into HW.

I sometimes wish that they died back at 2.5

HW turned out well enough with focusing mostly on new characters.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The story of 5.3 was amazing imo and during the last quests, I thought about who of the scions will use the new class. My guess is Tia will be a healer. Any guesses?

I think we are definitely heading towards Sharlayan next with the twins wondering about when they'll get their new gear. It's time.
So does anyone know where Ryne is post-5.3? Are we just gonna be doing the last tier of Eden w/o Thancred, then?
Yes, Thancred is back in our world and Ryne stays in the first. Eden will end with us and the first NPCs.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to have tight grasp of how much time passes in FF14, but was Yda dead a year before 1.0?

Yda was dead and Lyse was pretending to be her in the present of 1.0. But a lot of 1.0's MSQ was done via The Echo so you'd be talking with the characters from different points in time (oh yeah, you could actually interact with stuff with the original Echo lol). In those sequences it's the real Yda apart from a few that occurred after she passed.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The story of 5.3 was amazing imo and during the last quests, I thought about who of the scions will use the new class. My guess is Tia will be a healer. Any guesses?
Yes, Thancred is back in our world and Ryne stays in the first. Eden will end with us and the first NPCs.
Alphinaud and Alisaie will definitely be the new jobs. Alisaie (god bless our crayon eating gremlin) mourned the fact that neither of them got an upgrade. G'raha is all-in-one right now--and is apparently a much better Trust than the others--so I'm not sure if they'll give him a Job at any point.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Do you (or anyone else) know where Ryne is physically, specifically located post 5.3? She's obviously still on the First in the story, but like, specifically where is the NPC on the First. I wanted to see if she had any new lines of dialogue post-5.3 or if she just isn't placed as an NPC in the open world post-5.3

EDIT: I checked the The Empty and The Ocular, no dice, dunno where else she would be

I was wondering if they would do some time bubble shit and have 5.4 Eden take place pre-5.3 story-wise, but I don't know if they've ever had story told non-linearly before, so it's probably just up to WoL/D to babysit instead of Papa Thancred

Last edited:

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they'll kill anyone that we can select as a Trust. I don't have much of a reason for believing this other than thinking they won't take away Trust options after the trouble they went to when creating the system in the first place.

My biggest issue with Stormblood is that we didn't actually win. The stories themselves never really wrapped up so much as they kinda just stopped. Doma isn't really rebuilt yet and Ala Mhigo is still a shithole. They tried to go a little too highbrow with the concept that just because you won a war doesn't mean the problem is solved. Especially when said war felt like a big wet fart.

Well, you got Garlemald out of their territories if I'm not mistaken, that is at least some sort of Victory. And I think that's what they wanted to show. Just because Garlemald's troops left doesn't mean there are no issues. Can they really focus on rebuilding when they are still in conflict with Garlemald? and they seem to be in the front lines.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well, you got Garlemald out of their territories if I'm not mistaken, that is at least some sort of Victory. And I think that's what they wanted to show. Just because Garlemald's troops left doesn't mean there are no issues. Can they really focus on rebuilding when they are still in conflict with Garlemald? and they seem to be in the front lines.
Right. It basically felt like a half-victory because we only really accomplished half of what needed to be done. For as much as I love Shadowbringers (and I adore it), I think it really brought a lot of Stormblood's issues to the front and center. If we'd continued our march to Garlemald I think I'd be less tepid on Stormblood. But we got bamf'd over to the First instead and left things to simmer for a bit. It just made for a much less satisfactory ending of Stormblood.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and I really hope they don't change Ali's job in 6.0, I just can't see any other role fitting her as well as Red Mage does. She's a perfect spellblade type, magic but wants to get stabby with melee also. And the rapier with their whole French themed naming for most Elezen just works.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Do you (or anyone else) know where Ryne is physically, specifically located post 5.3? She's obviously still on the First in the story, but like, specifically where is the NPC on the First. I wanted to see if she had any new lines of dialogue post-5.3 or if she just isn't placed as an NPC in the open world post-5.3
I don't know.
Alphinaud and Alisaie will definitely be the new jobs. Alisaie (god bless our crayon eating gremlin) mourned the fact that neither of them got an upgrade. G'raha is all-in-one right now--and is apparently a much better Trust than the others--so I'm not sure if they'll give him a Job at any point.
Alisaie turned into Red Mage in Stormblood and imo they won't give her a new class. As you said Alphinaud could get a new class. However I think the conversation during 5.3 with the twins hints more at the next location. Imo Tia is the candidate for a new class. We don't even know what he represents anyway.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they would be that dumb. If they wanted G'raha dead he would have died as the Crystal Exarch. Zenos could kill somebody has a way to get us to fight but I doubt it.