• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The funny part for me was that I read the Seat of Sacrifice raid guide before I did the fight so I saw "Familiar Ascian" mentioned in it. I was expecting Azem because that would make logical sense and then he did the wave. They had to have added that on purpose because people would've jumped to the Azem conclusion instead.

I also remember hearing someone say that one of the specters in the Seat of Sacrifice is supposed to be Hildibrand.

Are you sure they said Seat of Sacrifice? You can clearly see Hildibrand in Heroes Gauntlet so I'm guessing that's what they meant.

We will get the Bozjan content and the resistance upgrades in about a month (or 1.5 months I think) for 5.35 and it will get updated every patch, for the other big patches it will probably be like this:
5.4: more MSQ, Eden (final tier), a new Trial for the Sorrow of Werlyt (The Weapons) series
5.5: more MSQ, Nier 3 (final raid), the last Trial
5.55: the final MSQ for Shadowbringers and we will be ready to start 6.0

I think we are also getting 1 more Ultimate? not sure about that

I do think they said 5.5 for the next ultimate but don't quote me on that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So where does everyone think the story goes from here?

I'm willing to bet the sword is finally going to fall on all the teasing the game has been doing about Hydaelyn being a primal who isn't ACTUALLY as good as she wants us to believe.

Like Zodiark gets released, we release Hydaelyn again to try and stop him, and then we have to stop HER afterwards. Though maybe "we have to stop the world from getting consumed by light" would be too much of a repeat of ShB...

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I don't know, there are supposed enough Ascians to be a danger, but you have to wonder where they can't take them from here.
I really feel that Zenos is a 'red herring' something will happen in the next 2 patches and a new main villain will appear for 6.0.

A part of me secretly wishes that the aliens who created Omega comes to the source and then is showed that those aliens were the ones that also invaded earth in NIer: Automata and 2B and 9S becomes key characters in 7.0.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet the sword is finally going to fall on all the teasing the game has been doing about Hydaelyn being a primal who isn't ACTUALLY as good as she wants us to believe.

Like Zodiark gets released, we release Hydaelyn again to try and stop him, and then we have to stop HER afterwards. Though maybe "we have to stop the world from getting consumed by light" would be too much of a repeat of ShB...

I'm actually wondering if there is the obvious plot of Zenos becoming the harbinger of Zodiark, but defeating Zodiark is actually a bad thing because it ultimately does unleash whatever it was that scared them into creating Zodiark in the first place? I very curious and excited to see where it all goes.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Story wise I really wonder if the MSQ is going to touch on the void again or if the Edenraid will tie into it (maybe eden can be used to terraform the void back into something livable).

6.0 wise I really hope that if we're going to the empire that it will just be a small part of that expansion. The Empire has been the most boring part of the whole 14 saga to me. Not sure where else we would go though but I'd be interested if the Source has any Amaurotian ruins somewhere. I still would love to get more Ascian lore.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
IMO I wish we could take care of Fandaniel and Zenos in the next 2 patch while 6.0 is the repercusions of what they trigger. Zodiark summoning/the apocalypse and we go to Garlemald where it's the epicenter of it all to finally take it down once and for all.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Safe bet we are going to Garlemald to take it down the empire once and for all. Up in the air if its gonna be slow push liberating regions or if the Empire is in dissary and you are saving it from itself. Zenos will either become the new heart of Zodiark or take it over ala Shinryu to have his grand battle with you. Expansion ends Zodiark, Zenos and the remaining acisans are dealt with. Final patches will be Hydealyn isn't as great as she portrayed herself and in the absence of Zodiark is now just as bad or maybe always was. Final trial is against Hydealyn herself. After that who knows? Graha's line about the next expansion being "the final chapter of this star" seems very ominous. Personally I hope they do a remake/Cataclysm/PSO new genesis thing using the shards remerging as a story reason to justify remaking/remixing areas and content. If I had to bet though that wont happen and after next expansion we are going to another shard or maybe another planet since Midgarsormr and dragons are technically aliens?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I must have misheard then. Where in the gauntlet does he show up?

HS4WNcy.png

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"the final tale of this star" line really sells that idea that whatever they have in mind for 7.0 will probably be on other planet/galaxy/universe/whatever.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
They just reworked ARR. They aren't going to destroy anything.
I'm not so sure about that. ARR was reworked not remade it always all just cuttting out quests and reducing kill X quests. Everything else story wise is still the same enemies still use removed abilities, Main scenerio roulette dungeons are unchanged etc. IF they destroy everything need to recognize it is not about the story it would really be for redoing all the programing and backend of the game. ARR is the core of the game and it was a rush job off the back of 1.0's failure and it was originally ment to run on PS3. By time a 7.0 comes out it will be the end of 2023 a decade since ARR first came out. They had to rework ARR now because it was a huge hurdle to new players for years. They know people quit in the 30s and in the 2.X patches and never get the the "good parts" that people always recommend the game for.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about that. ARR was reworked not remade it always all just cuttting out quests and reducing kill X quests. Everything else story wise is still the same enemies still use removed abilities, Main scenerio roulette dungeons are unchanged etc. IF they destroy everything need to recognize it is not about the story it would really be for redoing all the programing and backend of the game. ARR is the core of the game and it was a rush job off the back of 1.0's failure and it was originally ment to run on PS3. By time a 7.0 comes out it will be the end of 2023 a decade since ARR first came out. They had to rework ARR now because it was a huge hurdle to new players for years. They know people quit in the 30s and in the 2.X patches and never get the the "good parts" that people always recommend the game for.
That's underplaying the work that went into it as well forgetting that considerable work went into reworking zones to make them flying ready.

I'd be shocked if there is a wow cataclysm like thing happening anytime soon.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
That's underplaying the work that went into it as well forgetting that considerable work went into reworking zones to make them flying ready.

I'd be shocked if there is a wow cataclysm like thing happening anytime soon.
I'm glad they went above and beyond with adding flying but Yoshida himself said that adding flying was never part of his plan and that the dev team did in their spare time. The decision to rework ARR was done solely to stem the loss of quitting players. I would not be surprised if the difficultly came from not wanting to dedicate alot of resources to it. Besides IF there is a cataclysm like change its not for 3-4 years which isn't anytime soon.

Edit : To double back to my eariler comments while I would want a cataclysm remake I also don't think it will actually happen. At this point spagetti code and techinical debt I think its more likely they are thinking about a new MMO then remaking XIV. SE is probably watching what SEGA does with PSO2 New genesis very closely. Yes XIV is at its hight but XI was at its high point when they started originally developing project rapture which became XIV.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
"the final tale of this star" line really sells that idea that whatever they have in mind for 7.0 will probably be on other planet/galaxy/universe/whatever.

I don't think so. Remember that Zodiark is literally a physical manifestation of the will of the planet itself. The story of Hydaelyn and Zodiark is the story of the planet itself.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of was talking about this in a discord, but anyone else think the diversity in location of where the English voice actors come from is really good in this?

Like they could have totally gotten away with just casting UK actors and I don't think many would have complained. But I loved how for the Viera they got Icelandic actors and for the Faerie's they got Scottish actors.

It helps make the world feel alive. Cause I mean... That's how it is in real life? Why would everyone in the world speak the same exact way? Even if they're all speaking the same language there is so much more to it.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Sort of was talking about this in a discord, but anyone else think the diversity in location of where the English voice actors come from is really good in this?

Like they could have totally gotten away with just casting UK actors and I don't think many would have complained. But I loved how for the Viera they got Icelandic actors and for the Faerie's they got Scottish actors.

It helps make the world feel alive. Cause I mean... That's how it is in real life? Why would everyone in the world speak the same exact way? Even if they're all speaking the same language there is so much more to it.

I honestly thought Lyna was Morag in Xenoblade 2's actress at first for the longest time. They just sound so similar to me.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think so. Remember that Zodiark is literally a physical manifestation of the will of the planet itself. The story of Hydaelyn and Zodiark is the story of the planet itself.
Yeah it's especially obvious in Japanese that the star's fate there talking about is Hydaelyn and Zodiark. That's what 6.0 is.

But it's also just as obvious that after that we're gonna be dealing with the Noise that caused the Final Days in the first place, and it's not gonna be in patch content. It's so obviously gonna get an expansion to itself.

They already confirmed stuff for 7.0 is in the works anyway. We're not anywhere close to the smaller more self contained expansions of post Prometheus 11 yet.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's especially obvious in Japanese that the star's fate there talking about is Hydaelyn and Zodiark. That's what 6.0 is.

But it's also just as obvious that after that we're gonna be dealing with the Noise that caused the Final Days in the first place, and it's not gonna be in patch content. It's so obviously gonna get an expansion to itself.

They already confirmed stuff for 7.0 is in the works anyway. We're not anywhere close to the smaller more self contained expansions of post Prometheus 11 yet.

I honestly think the "Noise" should just stay a mystery. I feel like any explanation could actually hurt the story.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt the noise will ever be relevant, the implications were that it was caused by the amaroutine themselves messing with reality, unless they start to retcon stuff (Which is possible with long running MMORPG after a while) I don't expect any significant twist around it.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Maybe the whole "it's time to take down the empire" from the Shadowbringers reveal can still be true for the patches after this.
Though if the empire is taken down in the patch content, it'll be by Zenos's hand not ours. With him saying something along the line of setting the world on fire to be the stage of our fight or something, maybe he'll summon Zodiark in 5.55 and wipe out the empire as a mean to summon us to fight him. We can have the ruined empire be the world of ruin-esque setting for 6.0 without affecting the other areas.

I doubt the expansion is simply gonna be about the alliance taking down the empire as the empire is already a mess by now with Zenos went and fuck it all up.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I could see a 7.0 dealing with the void. That freaky kid is still hanging out in the Waking Sands. Maybe with the ascians gone it becomes salvageable. And then after that we go to Mercydia or something.

I could also see expansions more spaced out after 6.0 as they launch a new MMO with an improved engine on next gen hardware.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought his version of genocide sounded appealing, though. Yes, he was definitely charismatic, but nothing he offered swayed me to his side. Don't get me wrong, I understood it and empathized with him, but the Ascians destroyed their world and were now trying to destroy ours to fix their own mistakes brought about by their own hubris. Aumorot was indeed beautiful, and its destruction was a tragedy, but that was their loss, not ours. Even if we are indeed Azem, we no longer have their memories and are a different being/person now. But even if we did retain our memories, Azem wanted no part in what either side was doing, and was content with moving on.
It was an excellent impasse. Empathetic for their loss? Absolutely. Let them rejoin the star? Absolutely not. And the Scions were right there with us, allowing compassion but not an inch toward genocide.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a 7.0 dealing with the void. That freaky kid is still hanging out in the Waking Sands. Maybe with the ascians gone it becomes salvageable. And then after that we go to Mercydia or something.

I could also see expansions more spaced out after 6.0 as they launch a new MMO with an improved engine on next gen hardware.
Honestly, it feels increasingly likely that the void is coming up in 6.0. Unu and Cyella both have had been continuously getting new dialogue reacting to the ongoing storyline as of the latest patches and we know Eden can potentially release the excess light energy of the first in the the Void, potentially re-aligning it to normalcy.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Just was made aware of something. There's a line Zenos says " Who are you again" to which i thought he was referring to fandaniel. Oh he just doesn't even fucking remember who asahi is . Which is hilarious considering the yandere shit he was pulling. This game really loves its " Oh you died for nothing ". Its not the worst instance of it, that belongs to the dragoon quest guy. But its funny

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Fandaniel worships/serves the Noise that presages the free-wheeling return of creation magic, the hunting ground will be on/inside the moon and we'll split our time between there and the empire. Death of Zodiark and Hydaelyn... or their merger into a metastable arch-primal that achieves a lasting balance between light, dark, freedom, and inhibition. We'll find out what the deal with the Garleans and their Eye is, why they lack the echo and magic affinity that they should by rights possess from the sundering. Whatever happens, the star will never be the same again.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese player base apparently loves Zenos so that's why he's back for real. Like it or not, they hold more sway over what Yoshi-P does than the western fanbase, despite being much smaller overall. Only in cases with extreme western backlash such as the no needing for a while in 24 man raids will they defer to the western audience over the Japanese.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The writing really did Elidibus justice in 5.3 to make him a layered, nuanced villain, but I just find it amusing at how much of a jabroni this guy turned out to be. Dude's been plotting and scheming since 2.0 and literally all of his plans that we've seen him attempt have blown up in his face. He even accidentally told us how to permanently kill Ascians back in like 2.4, directly leading to the death of Nabriales. Then after years of plotting and scheming, he finally joins the fray in 5.3... and immediately dies. Dude's a galactic level jobber.

Anyway, with the end of Shadowbringers, this game has ascended to godhood. It's the best Final Fantasy game. No qualifiers necessary.

But Zenos and Fandango... ugh. I'll hear them out at least. The writing team has earned it.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something that is sitting with me, now that I went back to rewatch the Shadowbringer trailer, knowing the ending of 5.3.

While I'm sure that's Exart's voice actor, I keep thinking that he's talking during the opening bit, with WoL and Zenos/Elidibus squaring off. If the voice is taken as being from Elidibus's POV, it feels like foreshadowing 5.3's ending.

Might just be me though.

Sounds like Gentry aka Ardbert to me

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I can see Lavos being the actual evil "mastermind"

The thing about Lavos and Jenova is that as alien parasites, they're mostly concerned with sucking planets dry and then moving on - it's possible that if they want to give an origin to the Noise (and not leave it as irrational fear), it either stayed dormant this long because it was split into 14 pieces, or because the Source is so overflowing with aether that there's been no reason to emerge yet.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a newish player that only started this year so there is still raid stories I haven't caught up on(although I've at least progressed to the halfway point in all of them I think.). But I just learned that the Omega raid story basically confirms other planets being canon? So it's actually possible for us to also just go to another world at some point? Not an avenue I'm super keen of but also I'd be curious at their take of balls to the wall sci fi. So far the teases at it weren't my favorite with stuff like Azys Lla just wearing out its novelty as a zone insanely fast to just feel like drab.

Last edited:

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling they'll use the Noise to finally close up the mystery of what is below Silvertear Lake. The battle at Silvertear Skies still get's mentioned post 1.X. The resulting explosion saw the appearance of many of the ARR Primals. They could connect the Noise to that given what we now know about Primal summoning.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling they'll use the Noise to finally close up the mystery of what is below Silvertear Lake. The battle at Silvertear Skies still get's mentioned post 1.X. The resulting explosion saw the appearance of many of the ARR Primals. They could connect the Noise to that given what we now know about Primal summoning.

Isn't primal summoning just an application of Amurot's creation magic?

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
It is now but not always have been. Alot of what 1.0 storyline was going to be was dropped. 1.0 opening and even up to Levi/Ramuh with some his lines implied that primals exist in some form when not summon and possess knowledge that its summoners do not have. Which seems to go against everything we know about primal summoning now. 1.0 mess and years of lore maybe everything doesn't need to perfectly fit.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm a newish player that only started this year so there is still raid stories I haven't caught up on(although I've at least progressed to the halfway point in all of them I think.). But I just learned that the Omega raid story basically confirms other planets being canon? So it's actually possible for us to also just go to another world at some point? Not an avenue I'm super keen of but also I'd be curious at their take of balls to the wall sci fi. So far the teases at it weren't my favorite with stuff like Azys Lla just wearing out its novelty as a zone insanely fast to just feel like drab.
Final Fantasy as a whole is connected by something called "The Void". Omega and Gilgamesh typically travel through this and it's the canonical reason that they appear in many of the games. FFXIV is just another of the worlds connected through this concept.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't this already established that Hydaelyn asked Midgardsormr to seal the aether in Eorzea to stop summonings from happening. Of course that fell apart when he died.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is now but not always have been. Alot of what 1.0 storyline was going to be was dropped. 1.0 opening and even up to Levi/Ramuh with some his lines implied that primals exist in some form when not summon and possess knowledge that its summoners do not have. Which seems to go against everything we know about primal summoning now. 1.0 mess and years of lore maybe everything doesn't need to perfectly fit.
Isn't that just what those of faith believe? Basically all the beastmen factions who summon forth primals are doing so from some primordial belief that they are making appear their god or divining spirit. The realm of man generally understands what primals are(belief+aether) and that's why it's so rare that people summon forth primals. They lack a belief that the "god" exists outside of whatever imaginary picture they paint in their heads. You'll get the occasional rarity where some one is able to connect faith and power(like Thordan and the Knights Twelve), but in general most primals are created because a less advanced people like the Ixali have the actual belief in Garuda as a goddess in her own right - something they're pulling forth from another realm and not just conjuring up using aether.

Even the primals themselves are going to think they themselves exist for reals because that's the personality and belief instilled in them when they're born of creation magic.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
After playing through all of the available relic stuff last night I really do hope we take care of Zenos/Fandaniel in the next two patches. I get that hes popular in Japan but SB is (afaik) universally considered the weakest expansion and my fear is 6.0 being just SB 2.0. I would hope YoshiP has taken all the feedback into consideration because that would be a real letdown after ShB.

If, by the end of the patches, Zodiark gets resurrected and the empire legit needs to be saved I would be fine with that. But doing the Bozja stuff, while cool so far, has shown me (for as much as I'd like to visit other conquered city states) I do not want anymore plots involving countries rebelling against the empire.

Edit: What would be cool is the patches ending with Zodiark coming back and maybe he just immediately tempers the entire remaining Garlean armies, which would instantly get rid of all the tedious empire scheming plot points. And as other posters have said, defeating Zodiark at the end of 6.0 and then Hydaelyn by the end of the 6.x patches would be a great way to wrap it all up and allow the world to enter into a new era.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After playing through all of the available relic stuff last night I really do hope we take care of Zenos/Fandaniel in the next two patches. I get that hes popular in Japan but SB is (afaik) universally considered the weakest expansion and my fear is 6.0 being just SB 2.0. I would hope YoshiP has taken all the feedback into consideration because that would be a real letdown after ShB.

If, by the end of the patches, Zodiark gets resurrected and the empire legit needs to be saved I would be fine with that. But doing the Bozja stuff, while cool so far, has shown me (for as much as I'd like to visit other conquered city states) I do not want anymore plots involving countries rebelling against the empire.
With the Ascians as an order being all but demolished now, I think the remaining threads of the Zodiark story all rest in the heart of Garlemald. I'd be VERY surprised if 6.0 doesn't take place there, dealing with the remnants of the civil war and dismantling Empire itself. Personally I adore Zenos so I don't mind him getting the spotlight again, but I get a lot of people think he's uninteresting. Stormblood was good even though it's the lesser of all the expansions, and 6.0 being in Garlemald itself would be a very satisfying conclusion as all the story threads wrap up. One of the thematically coolest locations in the game is the Ghimlyt Dark. It's just so brutal as a battleground - I'd actually love more of that sort of thing. Big warzones full of darkness and shattered magitek.

Also what would Zodiark being resurrected even look like now? Wouldn't that imply that all of the remaining shards get fused back into the Source? I don't see it happening within the story simply because The First will always be a place you can travel back and forth to. Not to mention there are people in each world that "share" the same Amaurotine soul. Do they get collapsed into the same person?