• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm confused are you saying you want Hydaelyn to be evil and we kill her or...? I guess it would be a weird twist if Hydaelyn is evil since there has been very little set-up for it. Somewhat greyer then we thought? Maybe. But evil? No.

I'm saying that it happening is very likely. There's so much buildup to it right now in Shadowbringers that it is not out of the realm of possibility. We know Hydaelyn is incredibly terrifying and so is Zodiark. If we got a plot that we kill both gods I think it would be epic personally. Sure, we've been with Hydaelyn all this time and we think she's mostly helping us but personally I don't believe she is. WoL is incredibly terrifying and death itself like Elidibus said. All I'm saying is that if you guys aren't ready for the Hydaelyn is evil trope coming down the line then you're going to be really disappointed.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that it happening is very likely. There's so much buildup to it right now in Shadowbringers that it is not out of the realm of possibility. We know Hydaelyn is incredibly terrifying and so is Zodiark. If we got a plot that we kill both gods I think it would be epic personally. Sure, we've been with Hydaelyn all this time and we think she's mostly helping us but personally I don't believe she is. WoL is incredibly terrifying and death itself like Elidibus said. All I'm saying is that if you guys aren't ready for the Hydaelyn is evil trope coming down the line then you're going to be really disappointed.

I just don't see it. If they do it's going to feel incredibly forced "both siding" a conflict. No one has offered any good reason as to why we would fight Hydaelyn

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Huh? How?

Hydaelyn doesn't control all of light. That's why light can be corrupted and even she has to fight against it.

Light in FF14 is just another element. You can have a flood of any element.
Giving ardbert group crystals of light without realizing Ascians plan and not even trying to warn them.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Elidibus considers WoL to be death because of the Ascains that he has killed, while (quite possibly on purpose) missing that point that most of these deaths were in defense of ourselves and other people and that the primary goal of the Ascians was essentially total genocide of all 'fractured' beings to revive the sundered Amaurites.

Hydaelyn has definitely done some shady shit throughout FF14, no doubt, but the story we've learned throughout Shadowbringers has felt very illuminating on the nature of her character and it paints her way more kindly than the game has so far with her past actions (like essentially calling Minfillia to her death).

Giving ardbert group crystals of light without realizing Ascians plan and not even trying to warn them.
If she both knew the Ascian's plan and could communicate with them, do you really think they'd have been a threat for as long as they have? We know that Hydaelyn is basically on her last legs and can barely send out an actual message by herself (which is why she called to Minfilia in the first place. Placing the fault of the flood on her instead of the Ascians or Cyella is absurd.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
The signal is always going out. It's not selective. Hydaelyn isn't omniscient.
That doesn't mean it is a good thing, maybe after 5-6 rejoining they should have realized that maybe this plan isn't working so well and change course, instead of doing the same shit for millenia and even almost directly helping a rejoining.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean it is a good thing, maybe after 5-6 rejoining they should have realized that maybe this plan isn't working so well and change course, instead of doing the same shit for millenia and even almost directly helping a rejoining.

I think your overestimating her power. She isn't Omnipotent either. Mind you it literally took Minfilla being her thrall for awhile before she could even do anything to stop the Flood of Light.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
The Flood didn't help a rejoining, though. It's the same reason why The Void hasn't been rejoined, The Flood would have made the First too charged with light.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
The Flood didn't help a rejoining, though. It's the same reason why The Void hasn't been rejoined, The Flood would have made the First too charged with light.
Ardbert group was steered toward a rejoining by the Ascians and Hydaelyn did nothing to prevent either that or the flood.
Also why did they sunder the one who summoned them and not the 3 unsundered? maybe having your hero (us) being all powerful could have a been a better idea

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ardbert group was steered toward a rejoining by the Ascians and Hydaelyn did nothing to prevent either that or the flood.

And so what do you want her to do..? Tell Ardbert to not do good? Because really the only choice. At which point then she's responsible for anyone whom Ardbert could have saved but didn't.

They made their world a better place. Objectively.

Or what? Make no Warriors of Light and leave the Ascians completely unopposed?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Let's not forget that they've teased an ominous post-Hydaelyn/Zodiark arc Big Bad via the scary noise from within the earth that the Amaurotians heard.

cough
Lavos
cough

If Zodiark gets put back together (although I don't know how if he's not rejoined, and to be rejoined would mean the First would need to go bye bye), the big scary thing is also put back together.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
To add to my last post on primals. This makes Ysayle also an extremely interesting exception among primal summoning iirc. She never tempered anyone and she also retained her free will as far as we can tell. But the nature of her summoning shiva has also been very different to other primals which might hint at certain similarities for the summoning of Hydaelyn.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It took Ardbert groups, us and minfilia dying for them to finally do something. All I'm saying, there are reasons to at least be skeptical

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Honestly though we've had a mini Hydaelyn fight already in Eden 8 so it could be a tease. I just like to speculate but the similarity there to the mural is 100%. Obviously since Ryne is the oracle of light.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It took Ardbert groups, us and minfilia dying for them to finally do something. All I'm saying, there are reasons to at least be skeptical

It's skeptical for the wrong reasons though.

Also again because of Hydaelyn seemingly not wanting to simply thrall a bunch of people. Her actual reach is quite limited.

Again, the only reason she could actually "physically" go there and stop the flood was because someone was willing to become her thrall and even then it still needed the help of Ardbert's group, it wasn't just Minfillia alone. Honestly it shows a level of restraint of Hydaelyn that is absent in other Primals. Others desire thralls but the only one she has was someone who was actively willing.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do something with the 12. If Zeno's and NeoKefka can make the people desperate enough to summon them as primals, it would tie back into the Praetorium speech, give the devs a chance to make me care about Eorzea the way I do Norvrandt, and force the scions to confront tempering or slaughter citizens. The WoL slaying "good" primals would allow for lots of moral grey area talk like Shadowbringers.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not through the MSQ yet but EMET-SELCH SHOWING UP WITH THE SNAP AND HAND WAVE made my fucking day.

Okay bye till I'm done

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think were killing Hydaelyn. It would shit too much on Minfillia's fate. Hydaelyn is gonna help us go Super Saiyan and give us Wings of Light to fight Zenodiark. She's a good girl.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
So super-noob question: I just bought the game on PC (not Steam). Created a new account, registered, etc. And also added the game code. Does this mean, I can no longer use the free trial? I'm stuck with the 30-day window now?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It will probably end up in a place where Hydaelyn and Zodiark are both gone by the end, but it would be super cliche if they went the "but what if the good god is evil" route. I'd really prefer they find a way to resolve it without that.
Zenos is gonna eat Zodiark and Hydaelyn is gonna spend herself for you to be able to fight, both die.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm skeptical of how Zenos will go forward as a villain, but the thing that gives me hope is they must be aware of how good Shadowbringers was, and they won't be having us just fight Zenos over and over again like in Stormblood. They've gotta have ideas up their sleeve for making him more compelling. Him traveling with Fandaniel could be really entertaining depending on how much they interact - and especially if they share the same soul. You'd have essentially one villain with two bodies with two personalities.
I love Zenos, but I think they may be setting up some kind of bait and switch. What's this about the same soul? I don't think that's the case.

In any case, Zenos is sort of stuck in the position of his fathers right now. Puppet emperor being poked in different directions by someone from the time of the Ascians. I think Zenos will be a bit more wily about it though, and try to kill Fan once he serves his purpose or becomes too annoying.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Let's not forget that they've teased an ominous post-Hydaelyn/Zodiark arc Big Bad via the scary noise from within the earth that the Amaurotians heard.

cough
Lavos
cough

If Zodiark gets put back together (although I don't know how if he's not rejoined, and to be rejoined would mean the First would need to go bye bye), the big scary thing is also put back together.

Do you think that will be solved during 6.0 or instead it will be just the ascians and taht will be left to 7.0?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I love Zenos, but I think they may be setting up some kind of bait and switch. What's this about the same soul? I don't think that's the case.

In any case, Zenos is sort of stuck in the position of his fathers right now. Puppet emperor being poked in different directions by someone from the time of the Ascians. I think Zenos will be a bit more wily about it though, and try to kill Fan once he serves his purpose or becomes too annoying.
I also feel like Zenos might be a bait as the central villain.
While I agree with others that Zenos might be pretty hard to make compelling like Emet on an emotional level I still think he is a key figure to at least answer some plot threads. Stuff like why Zenos has had dreams of the fall of Amaurot since he was a child and what that means do intrigue me.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I thought it was pretty obvious since Zodiark was first mentioned. I mean you can't only kill one of the gods. You need to kill the other one for balance too.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like Zenos might be a bait as the central villain.
While I agree with others that Zenos might be pretty hard to make compelling like Emet on an emotional level I still think he is a key figure to at least answer some plot threads. Stuff like why Zenos has had dreams of the fall of Amaurot since he was a child and what that means do intrigue me.
You would think it's the artifical Echo, but he only got that later in life, so we definitely have yet to find out why he's had those dreams all his life. Makes you wonder how much Amaurotine essence/aether is in Solus' bloodline. Zenos is kinda huge in stature like those from Amaurot(maybe not quite THAT big, but big for a mortal, sundered person). So was Varis.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
You would think it's the artifical Echo, but he only got that later in life, so we definitely have yet to find out why he's had those dreams all his life. Makes you wonder how much Amaurotine essence/aether is in Solus' bloodline. Zenos is kinda huge in stature like those from Amaurot(maybe not quite THAT big, but big for a mortal, sundered person). So was Varis.
To add to that Zenos is Garlean so he also had no echo resonance due to not being able to use magic. Which makes him having this connection especially weird.
Fandaniel(or maybe it was Elidibus I don't quite remember) also hinted that him having those dreams was a sign that Emet might have succeeded at something.
Edit: yup it was Fandaniel
rtdgJnt.png

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I uh... I still don't really know who the f is Fandaniel.
For now we don't really know who he is(unless I'm unaware of some info). But all the offices of the Ascian convocation of 13 are references to the scions of light from FF12 with the exception of Elidibus who is a reference to FF tactics. Full list of FF12 scion names.

Loghrif, the Transcendent (In FF14: killed by Ardbert and co)
Mitron, the Chastiser (In FF14: killed by Ardbert and co)
Emet-Selch, Angel of Truth (In FF14: killed by our WoL)
Pashtarot, Knight-Star (In FF14: appeared once in the Ascian ARR post credit scene hasn't come back yet)
Fandaniel, the Protector (In FF14: has possessed Asahi's body)
Halmarut, the Arbiter (In FF14: hasn't appeared yet)
Nabriales, the Majestic (In FF14: killed by our WoL and Moenbrydas sacrifice)
Igeyorhm, the Martyr (In FF14: killed by our WoL)
Deudalaphon, the Benevolent (In FF14: hasn't appeared yet)
Emmerololth, Holy Queen (In FF14: apparently killed during events relating to the Eureka content batch, which I havent done)
Lahabrea, Abyssal Celebrant (In FF14: killed by King Thordan Primal)

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
For now we don't really know who he is(unless I'm unaware of some info). But all the offices of the Ascian convocation of 13 are references to the scions of light from FF12 with the exception of Elidibus who is a reference to FF tactics. Full list of FF12 scion names.

Loghrif, the Transcendent (In FF14: killed by Ardbert and co)
Mitron, the Chastiser (In FF14: killed by Ardbert and co)
Emet-Selch, Angel of Truth (In FF14: killed by our WoL)
Pashtarot, Knight-Star (In FF14: appeared once in the Ascian ARR post credit scene hasn't come back yet)
Fandaniel, the Protector (In FF14: has possessed Asahi's body)
Halmarut, the Arbiter (In FF14: hasn't appeared yet)
Nabriales, the Majestic (In FF14: killed by our WoL and Moenbrydas sacrifice)
Igeyorhm, the Martyr (In FF14: killed by our WoL)
Deudalaphon, the Benevolent (In FF14: hasn't appeared yet)
Emmerololth, Holy Queen (In FF14: apparently killed during events relating to the Eureka content batch, which I havent done)
Lahabrea, Abyssal Celebrant (In FF14: killed by King Thordan Primal)

Wait, so we still have like.. 4 Ascians to go through? Deudalaphon, Halmarut, Fandaniel, Pashtarot.. Damn. Albeit they are Sundered, not Unsundered.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
MSQ this patch didn't really impact me like the 5.0 expansion story did. Kinda fell a bit flat. Nothing terribly interesting happened, in that they closed everything off in the safest way possible (i.e 'Bad' guy is gone... Good guys are back home... Happy days I guess)

I wanted more big picture Zodiark and Hydaelyn stuff. Get rid of them both.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
MSQ this patch didn't really impact me like the 5.0 expansion story did. Kinda fell a bit flat. Nothing terribly interesting happened, in that they closed everything off in the safest way possible (i.e 'Bad' guy is gone... Good guys are back home... Happy days I guess)

I think that's exactly what was great with 5.3. Don't rush into the next adventure, just put a conclusion to Shadowbringers with a lot of epic moments and lot of callbacks to even 2.0. Everything was coming together.
Now I'm terrified about the next part where I think it will all go south from there (and I'm really affraid G'raha Tia won't really join us for long...)
I really feel we are towarding something as dark/darker than than the conclusion of 2.x.

I also was impressed they commited to 6.0 being the final adventure of the current overarching story arc.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so we still have like.. 4 Ascians to go through? Deudalaphon, Halmarut, Fandaniel, Pashtarot.. Damn. Albeit they are Sundered, not Unsundered.
Maybe. The thing is Gaius had some Ascian masks on him who we don't know who they belonged to. Also some might be just offscreened on other shards with a few lines, like Loghrif and Mitron.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
How I see it play out

Zenos triggers end of days to push people to summon Zodiark after been given idea byFandaniel
Zenos thinks he can now kill Zodiark

Fandaniel reveals true motive
A) he left Ascians as he wanted be Eldibus so he will absorb Zodiark to become new Eldibus
B) he is Zodiark and needs power of summoning to reclaim his full strength

bye bye Zenos

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

cough
Lavos
cough

Where is this noise talked about again? Tried to Google and found nothing

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly though we've had a mini Hydaelyn fight already in Eden 8 so it could be a tease. I just like to speculate but the similarity there to the mural is 100%. Obviously since Ryne is the oracle of light.
She even does the same kick! It didn't split the world, but it did split the party in two, lol.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Where is this noise talked about again? Tried to Google and found nothing

It's in the quest The End of a World:
Have you not heard? Though yet confined to the lands across the sea, a terrible phenomenon afflicts our star. They are calling it the "Final Days."

'Tis said it starts suddenly, a cacophonous keening from beneath the earth. The sound distorts all living things within earshot, and wrests from us control of our creation magicks.

Once that happens, all is lost. Fear, pain, despair...every dread impulse is siphoned from our minds and given substance: an eternal fall of fiery rain; an incessant spawning of nightmarish beasts...

None can point to the source of the phenomenon. 'Tis as if the star itself has fallen ill─as if a force inimical to life now festers and spreads.

'Tis only a matter of time until Amaurot, too, resounds to that discordant squall. You should stay with your loved ones, child... Stay with them...

I think they mention it elsewhere too, that's just some text I was able to find with some googling.

Last edited:

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
It's in the quest The End of a World:

Seeing what you posted, could it be that Azem discovered the Final Day phenomenon first? Since they were a world traveler.

Really good theory about what happened at the end of the patch:

"He's basically a direct analogue to The children's quests that started the patch off. And the fact the Convocation used a child for Zodiark's heart was probably the last straw for us/Azem. It's no wonder we defected.
And it also sheds light on why Elidibus saved Cylva and Unukalhai."

Makes sense with FF XII's description of Zodiark: "Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his growth, and so kept him a child."

And the fact that Emet-Selch wanted to save Elidibus from suffering because he was, in fact, a child.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I think Zodiark and Hydaelyn stuff should be reserved for the next expac. Shadowbringers was about exposing the true nature of the world and whatever comes next should be about confronting the true nature of it. They deserve something bigger and more impactful since both have been the main driving factors since 1.0. Especially since the x.3 patches are about closing the threads of the main expansion storyline and ramping up the next.

I liked us finally getting a wrap-up that was more or less us winning. No if's, and's or but's. We won, we saved the First. The WoL and Scions likely needed that unequivocal win or else the story itself starts becoming a shitty spiral of cynicism. I'd go so far as to say that a happy ending is the least safe thing they could do since it signals that we shouldn't expect the stuff we dealt with to come back in any major form.

Seeing what you posted, could it be that Azem discovered the Final Day phenomenon first? Since they were a world traveler.
I wouldn't be surprised if Azem was the one that discovered the phenomenon and wound up bringing word of it back, thus indirectly causing the Final Days to start. It sounds like the first person who discovered it would have been irrevocably changed by hearing the Sound and subsequently influence everyone around them.

Heck, Azem being a traveler makes all the Azim/Azeyma thing make sense too. The non-Amaurotine cultures were likely in their proto states at that point and an Amaurotine traveling the world would have been able to lend their aid to these cultures as they were beginning to take shape.

And re: the Elidibus being a child bit. Yeah, it kinda fucked me up that they wound up using a child for the summoning of Zodiark. It makes me question what they used as the heart of Hydaelyn though, as her response to Zodiark was fairly childish and simplistic too. Did they use someone as her heart, or is she effectively heartless and is little more than an automaton (like most of the other Primals we've seen) that carries out her singular duty without stopping? The fact that she's always broadcasting, "Hear, think, feel," in an effort to snatch up anyone makes me feel like she's not wholly sentient.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Venat was used as the heart of Hydaelyn and in the scenes we've seen their shade they were like other adult Amaurotians.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Really good theory about what happened at the end of the patch:

"He's basically a direct analogue to The children's quests that started the patch off. And the fact the Convocation used a child for Zodiark's heart was probably the last straw for us/Azem. It's no wonder we defected.
And it also sheds light on why Elidibus saved Cylva and Unukalhai."

Makes sense with FF XII's description of Zodiark: "Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his growth, and so kept him a child."

And the fact that Emet-Selch wanted to save Elidibus from suffering because he was, in fact, a child.

Hngh. I know why I felt bad about that whole thing. God crazy how things worked out in the end.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Venat was used as the heart of Hydaelyn and in the scenes we've seen their shade they were like other adult Amaurotians.
Oh right.

...Wait that's bad. Oops Hydaelyn's gotta go. If they want to continue with the comparisons to the FFXII characters...

Hydaelyn's endgame is to "free" the various Spoken races by creating a world in which free will reigns supreme. This is accomplished by bestowing a ton of power unto a singular mortal and hoping they go along with that plan.