• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Fandaniel has actually been named in the lore as one of the Convocation for quite a long time.

I'll be pissed if they actually let him do that. That's like if I said I was going to win a gunfight by swallowing a fleet of Abrams tanks.

Zodiark should be way, way, way more powerful than that, and not subject to just some random mortal absorbing him.
It's his whole thing that started with him taking control of Shinryu and he's only gotten stronger, the second he said he learned of Zodiark was the second this story was gonna make him eat it for power and you'll eat mama crystal to counter him.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's his whole thing that started with him taking control of Shinryu and he's only gotten stronger, the second he said he learned of Zodiark was the second this story was gonna make him eat it for power and you'll eat mama crystal to counter him.

The fact that he said he wanted to do it awhile back doesn't make it any less ridiculous if the story lets him actually succeed.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
The current G'raha doesn't have the memory of the Exarch's final fight right? I assume he only remember up to when he was transferring his memory in the Ocular.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
What healer do people recommend as someone starting off a new account?
Played Guardian for a bit last time but not really a fan so for this trial account want to go with a healer.

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
I love so much the Terncliff architecture, hope that is a hint for the next 6.0 city.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Zenos already blew his load in the menageries, you know exactly what he's about.
There's still plenty of context we could learn about to make him more compelling

Though I don't have that much issue with him to begin with. I think he's a good chaotic force of nature.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
There's still plenty of context we could learn about to make him more compelling

Though I don't have that much issue with him to begin with. I think he's a good chaotic force of nature.
Like what, it's not gonna change his current disposition or make me find him less boring and cliche.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love Zenos for being so one dimensional.

Fighting Zenos and winning? Nya.
Fighting im again and winning? Nya.
Fighting him and winning? Maybe.
He is finally dead, huh? lol no.
His body was snatched and now he needs a better one and not his original one which is already possesed by a powerful being? lol no. Let me fuck him up with my weak body I currently have.

Zenos is a parody villain. He says he wants to do XY and just does it even though most things he does shouldn't even really work easily like this.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Curious Question Berserker and Necromancer.... in the dungeon... man Berserker as a class.. would be amazing..

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the ending of the solo weapon instance cutscene + the main ending of 5.3 show the many engine improvements they've made in cutscenes. It's obviously not easy for them to implement seeing as they still do it very sparingly, but Noah throwing the milk bottle at Alphonse in that cuscene, and the entirety of the final cutscene in Mor Dhona (Alisaie slamming her head on the chair / sliding down the chair / Krile taking a bite out of the bread / Graha's ears / Alisaie jumping from the building) are all much more than anything we've seen after 2.0 released. I hope this sets a new standard for 6.0 but I still think we'll see it sparingly rather than all the time.

3fbzizyouig51.gif

Last edited:

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Said this in the OT but I truly believe 5.3 has some of the best story moments in ALL of Final Fantasy. Just fantastic stuff.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the weapon quest and they're really showing off all their fancy new cutscene tech this patch. 5.2 already experimented with physics in cutscenes and this patch had even more. Looking forward to seeing what they pull off in an actual expansion with all this new stuff.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Yuuuuuuuuup.

Sadly many will still skip it, despite how much easier it is to get into it.
In so much I agree that FFXIV as a whole is a zenith of RPG storytelling for me, personally, it's a metric crapton of time to get to the enormous payout. That + the monthly subscription fee are always going to be immense barriers to entry, no matter what the devs do to streamline.

Last edited:

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
The current G'raha doesn't have the memory of the Exarch's final fight right? I assume he only remember up to when he was transferring his memory in the Ocular.

Pretty sure he does. Right at the end I think I remember G'raha doing another thing with it before turning to crystal.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading some discussions about the story and got reminded of the promise to take G'raha on your next adventure and I started tearing up.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure he does. Right at the end I think I remember G'raha doing another thing with it before turning to crystal.

I think that is the case though even if he doesn't remember that stuff... I imagine he would instantly realized everything worked out the second he woke up on the source.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Zenos already blew his load in the menageries, you know exactly what he's about.
Lol they have a lot of room left to improve his character.
Some comments here about Zenos reminds me of the comments made when it was announced that 5.0 was going to focus on Ascians and how boring they are.

Zenos is going to be fine and I can't wait to see more of him.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Lol they have a lot of room left to improve his character.
Some comments here about Zenos reminds me of the comments made when it was announced that 5.0 was going to focus on Ascians and how boring they are.

Zenos is going to be fine and I can't wait to see more of him.
Give me an example, I asked the other person to do it too. He's a complete characters from a character building perspective, we know what he's about and had a whole expansion dedicated to it, he died and was reborn and still stayed the same person. Unless the next xpac focuses on some change of heart I doubt it.

Not to mention my reply was to someone who was talking about adding context to him, which no matter what backstory you add it doesn't change him.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
So what lore has been revealed in the new Nier raid Puppets Bunker? Curious if they are saying that the bunker is THE bunker from Nier Automata.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't G'raha being outside of the CT screw up the timeline now?

No. How timelines seem to work in FF14 is that they all exist independently of each other. So that original timeline where G'raha was awoken and then went back into the past with the tower still continues to exist. I believe they mention this at one point.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So what lore has been revealed in the new Nier raid Puppets Bunker? Curious if they are saying that the bunker is THE bunker from Nier Automata.

Well, it does seem to be that bunker. 2B herself mentions she is from another world.

When you go back into the bunker post-raid, you can actually enter 2B's room (it's exactly as it was in Automata) and when you reach the Control Room, all of the screens are actually on (in the raid they're off), and it does say: "YoRHa. For the glory of Mankind" and there's even a screen that mentions the Moon base. Although weirdly it does say that the connection to the moon base is online.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I think Zenos is going to be to this game what Seymour was to FFX. He's going to be a recurring villain, with aspirations of being the big bad, but he's going to get taken out for good before the final battle.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah, I remembered he did something when we get the crystal back but not sure if that's memory transfer or what.
But I think his sacrifice is more impactful if at that point he's there just as the Crystal Exarch performing his last duty, separate from the memory that will eventually become G'raha Tia the Scion.
Though now that I think about it, there was this concern about his soul/memory may not recognize his body as his own (or something along that line) when doing the transfer and may cause the process to fail. Then there was this scene when he was following the WoL in the crystal tower that was frame like it remind him of the days when they were exploring the tower together which should help with that issue so it makes sense that the memory of that was transferred to the crystal too.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remembered he did something when we get the crystal back but not sure if that's memory transfer or what.
But I think his sacrifice is more impactful if at that point he's there just as the Crystal Exarch performing his last duty, separate from the memory that will eventually become G'raha Tia the Scion.
Though now that I think about it, there was this concern about his soul/memory may not recognize his body as his own (or something along that line) when doing the transfer and may cause the process to fail. Then there was this scene when he was following the WoL in the crystal tower that was frame like it remind him of the days when they were exploring the tower together which should help with that issue so it makes sense that the memory of that was transferred to the crystal too.

I think the big question is... Did like the Young and Old G'raha combine or did the latter just completely take over? Krile does mention his personality isn't quite the same as she was told about the Exarch but I'm unsure if that is because he's in his old body or because their personalities mixed.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know thinking about what Elidibus said as you was confronting him at Xande's throne before the trial I realized we owe this man a debt of gratitude. Our first encounter with him was in the Waking Sand in which he attacked Minfillia and in turned forced them to move to Mor Dhona and in front of an aetheryte.Elidibus was the hero all along.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Zenos is changing much. He's already had an entire expansion and then some. He feels complete. The only thing left for him to do is cause more havoc till he dies.

Oct 25, 2017
Krile does mention his personality isn't quite the same as she was told about the Exarch but I'm unsure if that is because he's in his old body or because their personalities mixed.

Graha Tia also mentions at very very end when you go to complete the final quest that he has changed his mannerisms to reflect his new outlook on life.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Give me an example, I asked the other person to do it too. He's a complete characters from a character building perspective, we know what he's about and had a whole expansion dedicated to it, he died and was reborn and still stayed the same person. Unless the next xpac focuses on some change of heart I doubt it.

Not to mention my reply was to someone who was talking about adding context to him, which no matter what backstory you add it doesn't change him.
I can't help but hope that Zenos is going to get a bit more added to him. Stormblood Zenos was boring because we were boring. We were the same as him but on the opposite spectrum. Our might made people feel safe and his made people afraid. That was literally the whole story. "The WoL is awesome because they're soOoOoO strong!"

Shadowbringers kinda changed the idea there and made it that the WoL is awesome because they have compassion while maintaining their own course. I cannot see Zenos remaining the same when we're no longer standing opposite of him story-telling wise. If all he does is crow about us being physically powerful and wanting to match us, it'll feel reeeeeal flat because that's not what the story was about.

Also, did the Nier storyline really just stop when you get the Orchestrion roll from one of the dwarves? I feel like I'm missing something.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
If all he does is crow about us being physically powerful and wanting to match us, it'll feel reeeeeal flat because that's not what the story was about.
That was the last thing he did when he spoke about us, again. That said, we were not boring, especially if you played Dark Knight.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That was the last thing he did when he spoke about us, again. That said, we were not boring, especially if you played Dark Knight.
I'd argue that Dark Knight was one of the few things that made us interesting. There are very few points where the WoL does something that isn't just kicking ass. Hell, the dialogue choices even reflect that when Susanoo shows up and we're like, "WELL I'LL JUST BEAT IT UP IF YOU DON'T STOP."

Perhaps unshockingly, the DRK storyline was written by the same person that wrote Shadowbringers!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that Dark Knight was one of the few things that made us interesting. There are very few points where the WoL does something that isn't just kicking ass. Perhaps unshockingly, the DRK storyline was written by the same person that wrote Shadowbringers!
I thought so too, but was all of it written by her or just the level 80 one? I see conflicting info online. That said on one hand I want her to keep writing 14 as amazingly as she is on the other I'd like to see her do a mainline too. Especially after how insultingly bad 15 was.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I think the big question is... Did like the Young and Old G'raha combine or did the latter just completely take over? Krile does mention his personality isn't quite the same as she was told about the Exarch but I'm unsure if that is because he's in his old body or because their personalities mixed.
Not sure what to call it since Old G'raha should have all the memory the Young G'raha had anyway (though more foggy as it's been a long time) so it's not like he completely take over, at least that part should combine and make it clearer, not foggy like old people trying to recall their time as a kid.

By the time we met the Exarch on the First, his memory as G'raha was so far away for him that it's like somebody else's memory. But by combining it, that part became fresh and clear to him and maybe that's part of what make his personality a bit different now. Though I think part of it is because he's finally free of all the burden of the Exarch and finally free to live his dream again.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I thought so too, but was all of it written by her or just the level 80 one? I see conflicting info online. That said on one hand I want her to keep writing 14 as amazingly as she is on the other I'd like to see her do a mainline too. Especially after how insultingly bad 15 was.
I believe she just wrote the SB portion of the DRK storyline. Which is arguably the best part, but the 30-50 stuff was gold too.

And yeah. I'm incredibly conflicted over whether or not I want to see her continue to work on FFXIV or see what she can do with a completely original world and set of characters.

Maybe keep her on long enough to make Zenos and Garlemald writ large compelling. Please, SE, do not let 6.0 be a wet fart compared to how beautiful 5.0-5.3 was.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I believe she just wrote the SB portion of the DRK storyline. Which is arguably the best part, but the 30-50 stuff was gold too.

And yeah. I'm incredibly conflicted over whether or not I want to see her continue to work on FFXIV or see what she can do with a completely original world and set of characters.

Maybe keep her on long enough to make Zenos and Garlemald writ large compelling. Please, SE, do not let 6.0 be a wet fart compared to how beautiful 5.0-5.3 was.
Hell yeah. Like I said, said maybe she can turn Zenos around to being cool. Though idk how they could do that, I doubt they can just attach a morality pet or something to him. I'll gladly be surprised.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
You know thinking about what Elidibus said as you was confronting him at Xande's throne before the trial I realized we owe this man a debt of gratitude. Our first encounter with him was in the Waking Sand in which he attacked Minfillia and in turned forced them to move to Mor Dhona and in front of an aetheryte.Elidibus was the hero all along.
I'd thank him if not for how badly that move to Mor Dhona was stretched out. It took FOREVER to get there.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Zenos a lot in Stormblood as a foil to the WoL and their initial ending, until it was clear he was still alive pretty much instantly. I'm starting to warm up to them again recently.