• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
A remake would also provide something Rockstar can continue to resell moving forward. RDR 1 is stuck forever on the 360 and PS3 and if R* could make a forward-compatible version that they just need to tweak to re-release in the future, that's a pretty solid incentive, especially given the environment and model work that's already been done.

Narratively speaking, you'd have an incomplete story in perpetuity as well. People who are just now getting game systems or only play on PC (when the RDR2 port hits) don't have the whole story.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could be a lot of things, placeholder lines, Adult Jack was maybe in the game at one point (possible flash forward where you play as Adult Jack post RDR1) or more likely Adult Jack in RDRO.
I really doubt Rockstar is going to make a remaster for RDR1, at best if we get any SP DLC, it's going to be something much smaller.

Don't know how Jack is going to appear as an adult in RDO in the year 1898.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So, let's just consider the timetable.

1. It doesn't seem like it could be related to online in any way because online precedes the main story. This places all the events of Red Dead Online prior to 1899. Jack would be a small child or even an infant depending on when exactly Online takes place, so adult Jack would never appear here without some sort of time-bending shenanigans that seem unlikely.

2. It seems unlikely a time-skip to 1914, where Adult Jack is playable in Red Dead Redemption, was ever planned considering how little sense this would make in the story as presented. No amount of John Marston's story that precedes Red Dead Redemption would ever logically lead to Adult Jack being seen, heard, or played as. While we might be able to come up with some sort of plot contrivance (like some sort of vision quest or dream sequence) the shortest distance between two points is that this was just not part of the story and was never intended to be.

This would lead me to conclude lines recorded for Adult Jack had to have been done with some forward-looking design in mind. Nowhere in the current framework of Red Dead Redemption II's story would Adult Jack appear or be playable, so I would think this is indeed recording done for something that has not yet been implemented versus something that is cut from the base game.

If remaking Red Dead Redemption I as an expansion to RDR2 was always the intention, this would make sense. Considering the importance of RDR1 as a seminal video game and Rockstar's rumored inability to salvage the original game in to a remastered format, this could have always been part of the longterm plan for the series to allow RDR2 to become the definitive and complete Red Dead Redemption experience. This would help explain why so much of the Mexico terrain is also present in the game despite going unutilized narratively. I know I would like that very much and that's why a little recording like this ignites hope for exactly that.

However...

3. Red Dead Redemption II takes place from 1899 to "several years later", where Adult Jack does not appear. But Jack does appear as an older boy, with his "adult Jack" voice actor. The character is never playable. It is possible Jack was at one point a playable character during the epilogue, perhaps while the Marston family was trying to go straight, and Jack would have had the option to greet and antagonize NPCs like any other playable character. This could have been experimented with to create some continuity between Jack's character in RDR1, who is not well developed, and his story in RDR2. Even a single mission where Jack has to deliver a package or something would require NPC greetings and, if this were cut, would explain why the recording exist and are tied to this functionality.

This is some mystery. Hopefully a PC version of the will yield more information on this game's development.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any other explanation for it that doesn't involve a single player expansion?

lol, how am I supposed to have an explanation? You don't have an explanation, I don't have one either. Everybody in this thread is speculating, demanding an explanation is a bit ridicilous. Maybe they were messing around, maybe they are leftovers from a different script, maybe they had an idea for an easter egg, maybe they have something special in mind for red dead online missions. No idea, but a dedicated SP expansion? No, I don't believe that one second.

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't read a single reply.

All I'm hear to do is to thank the OP for how he labeled the spoilers. He said, "Possible spoilers if you haven't reached the epilogue," and pointed out where in the game this is and marked the spoiler, and so I skipped it to watch whenever I get there. Thank you, OP! =)

Oct 25, 2017
Well part of the red dead 1 map is in there so that would be awesome if there's a remaster made in the new engine with the beard growing... But no survival mechanics retrofit

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
lol, how am I supposed to have an explanation? You don't have an explanation, I don't have one either. Everybody in this thread is speculating, demanding an explanation is a bit ridicilous. Maybe they were messing around, maybe they are leftovers from a different script, maybe they had an idea for an easter egg, maybe they have something special in mind for red dead online missions. No idea, but a dedicated SP expansion? No, I don't believe that one second.

We absolutely do have an explanation, it's the subject of this thread. You're just going 'nuh-uh!', and your guesses make no sense. They were not hiring and paying an actor to record lines and programming them to appear when you greet people because they were 'messing around', and no, they weren't making some hypothetical Jack easter egg that of course isn't in the game because you want it not to be. It's potentially possible that it could be for Online, but this refusal to believe that Rockstar will ever make a single player DLC ever again because one game didn't get them is just silly. Not to mention that the online mode is actually a reason why this remake is feasible - work they did in the remake would be reusable in Online. Or, to look at it the other way, if they fully remake the original locations for Online, it makes a remake cheaper and simpler to create.

This glitch alone isn't proof, but when you combine it with New Austin and Mexico having a whole bunch of work put into them despite not being needed for the story, AND the epilogue to the game starring John and being heavily about the creation of Beecher's Hope (rolling the costs of creating that location into the budget of the main game as well), along with it being well-known that a remaster of RDR1 isn't really possible due to the code issues, it all points to the same thing. It's not hard proof, but it's certainly evidence.

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
Sure. The production of Red Dead Redemption 2 not already being out of this world, they totally rebuilt the first one as a DLC. As a side project on top of their 9000 hour weeks

Rodhull

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. The production of Red Dead Redemption 2 not already being out of this world, they totally rebuilt the first one as a DLC. As a side project on top of their 9000 hour weeks

It's not like this could only be a DLC. It could just as easily be a full price remaster. Also how do you know it's a side project? It could be a different team working on it similarly to how LA Noire was remastered.

I don't think it's likely either as I can't see them being this cloak and dagger about it but it's hardly impossible to imagine.

Last edited:

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
929rcurh47021.jpg

LOL

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
Nowhere is it stated that this could only be a DLC. It could just as easily be a full price remaster. Also how do you know it's a side project? It could be a different team working on it similarly to how LA Noire was remastered.

I don't think it's likely either as I can't see them being this cloak and dagger about it but it's hardly impossible to imagine.

It is stated on this thread's title and in the first embed video if I'm not mistaken

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Give me that RDR1 remake with RDR2 mechanics.

....But give me a happy ending too. Playing through chapter 6 just makes me wish it all went differently for John, Abigail and Jack.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

This is a strawman. Half the reason why it's considered a possibility is because they wouldn't have to 'totally rebuild' RDR1. Much of the work is already done or half-done as part of the main game, not to mention work on the DLC potentially being reusable in the online mode. And nobody is saying they already did it. It would likely be currently in development.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Possible. West Elizabeth is in the game already. So is Mexico btw just missing NPCs and some towns. Unless Mexico map is for MP why would they go through the pain of re creating Mexico.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I've been saying for a while now. RDR 1 reimagined inside RDR 2. Won't be exactly the same, small adjustments to the story to make it more coherent with RDR 2's story and RDR 2 mechanics will be included.

It's the perfect expansion.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying for a while now. RDR 1 reimagined inside RDR 2. Won't be exactly the same, small adjustments to the story to make it more coherent with RDR 2's story and RDR 2 mechanics will be included.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to rewrite some characters like Irish and Javier as well

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't be a bad idea to rewrite some characters like Irish and Javier as well

Honestly all of RDR1 needs to be rewritten to make it mesh with RDR2. I'm shocked going back to it how goofy and GTA-esque most of it is.

I've always thought of 1 as being this mature game that really stood apart from Rockstar's usual titles but playing it again before RDR2 came out and I really put a lot of it out of mind to think that.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play as Charles for any DLC

Or do the lead up to the Blackwater heist

But ill take any kind of dlc/expansion for the story I can get

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think this would definitely be a remake more than a remaster. It would play like RDR2, in that it would have RDR2 mechanics (cores, horse death, etc) but the missions and more random encounters would be added in. They've done full modeling work for John that incorporates all these changes already. They've already redone the entire map from the first game, save Mexico, which is clearly in progress. They've remodeled and brought back V.O.'s for characters like Jack and Bonnie (who is in Online) as well.

This gives them them the opportunity to streamline or revisit some things from the first game that don't mesh with the sequel. Lose some of the tutorialization with Bonnie (no need to learn what a lasso is), get rid of some of the brainless gatling gun sequences in Mexico, etc. Present the entirety of "Red Dead Redemption" as a fully-fleshed out story that can be put out on PC and consoles moving into the future.

I don't think that they would put out a remake that just uses the new graphics but then reverts the gameplay back to being exactly like the original game. Too much work has been done with the new engine. So right now we're looking at mission implementation/scripting, re-rendering cutscenes, and completion of Mexico. Which is a shit-ton of work, certainly. But also gives them a 2019 release (provided they are on track for something like that) to bridge the gap between releasing a new game on the new consoles (like Bully 2, for example), and they've got a future-proofed version of the Red Dead saga.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018

I'd be all over it. Loved RDR2, but missed the first last gen and no option to play it on my hardware other than the bad PS3 port made worse by PS Now streaming.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A RDR remaster would be great, I'd love to play a game visually up to snuff with RDR2 but without any of the bloated mechanics and bad pacing.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It wont'be DLC i imagine . Full new release using RDR2 assets. 40$ (without multiplayer) or with RDR2 Online included (60$)

%100 on it. They know they cant get same money from RDR2 Online as GTAV online . It is limited. They know lust for RDR1 remake on new platforms/remaster. They already modelled cities.NPC's gonna be there. I imagine they will record RDR2 style conversations for John with NPCS(but use same lines of arthur for not record npcs)
etc

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
I'm soooo close to finishing RDR2. I was going to buy RDR1 and replay it... but reading this now I'd hate to waste the money.

Also, anyone to back to RDR1 after 2? I'm betting it's hard to play something so gorgeous then go back to that (even if it got the Microsoft "remaster treatment").

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm soooo close to finishing RDR2. I was going to buy RDR1 and replay it... but reading this now I'd hate to waste the money.

Also, anyone to back to RDR1 after 2? I'm betting it's hard to play something so gorgeous then go back to that (even if it got the Microsoft "remaster treatment").

I didn't play RDR1 after RDR2, but I did play it on a regular Xbox One for the first time like two months ago. The game holds up. And you can mainline it in like 14 hours.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm I was watching a walkthrough of RDR on YouTube..... to stop and wait for an announcement or keep going?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are remastering the first game, I hope they announce it soon as I was about to start playing it on the PS3.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the entire RDR1 map is already in the game (minus Mexico)? Is it an area you go to later on in the campaign or something lol? How have I not noticed this before!

Ben Walker

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
England, United Kingdom
How the hell are people blindly believing this? Did no one stop for a second to think that this video might definitely be fake? The voice doesnt lip sync to John and you can hear John's grunts, not Jacks.

This is fake. Has to be. If they were planning a remake DLC I doubt they'd already have fully fledged voice lines in-game while still developing it. None of this makes sense to be real.