• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
The fact that the PC and Xbox versions are not "censored" might be a mistake from Capcom. I don't see Sony coming to Capcom to tell them "hey can you hide that butt on our version we don't like that one"

Yeah this is the most logical conclusion especially considering that the other versions are censored too just not this particular scene.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you know it was intended as a fan service.

If you view video games as a form of media, a form of art, similar to cinema, then it should be possible for a game director to be accountable for his vision no matter if it brings nudity, violence and you like it or not (Irreversible, Antichrist, Nymphomaniac?).
Because that is how it is being received?

As I said check YouTube and you will see how people are looking at it as a fan service scene. If this is not how the director intended it to be then they did a pretty bad job at framing it.
I don't know. I'd prefer him to be naked after being consumed.

It's an artist's decision. And in this case is easy for me to respect the decision and I think it's a shame that it got censored.

I think we have a lot of objectification of women in video games. For example, I love Final Fantasy but some costumes are ridiculous. When I replayed FFX I felt ashamed for the design of the shop keepers.
But DMC is a self-aware game. It's sexy. The women are strong and sexy. The guys are strong and sexy. And I think some revealing costumes are much more fan service than the scenes showing naked, unconscious bodies.
I agree with you on fan service not being a bad thing but not in this instance. Women in this game are put for fan service and serve no other purpose. If the game had male characters being naked and put in fan service scenes then there wouldn't be a problem.

The problem with fan service is that it is only there for female characters in almost every case so that's why most people dislike it and DMC5 is yet another example.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
but SIE is closer to capcom than they are to sony music, because SIE are in constant discussions with third party developers.
They have more influence over Capcom's content as the platform holder, but their not part of the same company like SIE and Aniplex. I recognize SIE is seperate and likely can't do anything about it. I'm talking about Sony Corporation the parent company. It comes off as hypocritical when one divison is saying x is wrong and not allowed, but then another is actively partaking in it.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with this. I have no idea whether the scene makes sense or is fanservice -- I don't play the series -- but as far as I am concerned censoring a naked butt in an 18+ game (or any game for that matter) is silly regardless.

Definitely.

Let's also keep in mind that this sort of laughable censorship does NOT make the scene less sexualized. If the nudity is pointless and the framing lecherous then that's still the case with a purple light magically masking the butt. It accentuates the problem if anything, as it artificially tells you there's something you mustn't pay attention to.

If sexualization was the problem with the scene then it should've been altered to, y'know, no longer be as sexualized. Keeping the scene virtually intact but denying their adult audience the direct view of a butt is ridiculous.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They have more influence over Capcom's content as the platform holder, but their not part of the same company like SIE and Aniplex. I recognize SIE is seperate and likely can't do anything about it. I'm talking about Sony Corporation the parent company. It comes off as hypocritical when one divison is saying x is wrong and not allowed, but then another is actively partaking in it.
you are totally correct and i hope they will change it, sony CEO did talk about trying to improve the connections between different divisions within Sony so there is that.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that's the million dollar question, isn't it? Sony's policy change has been (and still is) hotly debated as to whether it's intended to curb the tide of Japanese games sexualizing female characters (especially underage characters), or a simple marketing move to appeal to a more family friendly audience. And of course, beyond Sony's motivations, the more relevant question is what effect, if any, the policy will have on either, and whether it's a net positive or negative. Whatever your opinions on that, this specific example is probably not going to change your mind either way.
Well, if it is intended to address that gender imbalance and female objectification, then it's - at least in this case - not working. And it would generally be the wrong way to approach the problem IMO. This isn't the kind of issue that has a quick fix, it's a systemic issue rooted in broader societal gender inequality and the industry's lack of diversity. Not to mention that this kind of "fix" has the nasty side effect of giving nudity in general a negative connotation when the problem is usually not the nudity itself but the context, the framing, the gender imbalance and, often times, goes much deeper than just skimpy outfits and cameras lingering on butts and breasts. You can't fix sexist character tropes, sexist character designs, the lack of female, LGBTQ and other minority protagonists and bad writing with censorship.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I mean, the first thing my gf said when watching me playing the game was how hot Nero is. He is also obviously sexualized. I can't tell about Lady and Trish because I haven't finished the game yet (ch. 14 now), but Nico is a great character. I don't think her only purpose is to be sexy. She's behaving much like Dante in the end.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's stupid fanservice that is just there to objectify the female characters. Should have cut both scenes completely from the game.

I have nothing against nudity in games, but when it's done in such a lecherous and creepy way I don't care if they do something to limit the unecessary sexualization.
Especially when these scenes seem so out of place like the one with Lady.

Wait, what is the Lady one? And did they change that as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.