• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
this game rocks. I dunno if I have it in me to compete, the portals are a lot to wrap my head around.. reminds me of building in fortnite.

Still though, it's perfect to just hop in for a couple matches every night! Exactly what I needed post-Infinite flight

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Playing Oddball with portals is some next level shit. I couldn`t stop laughing, it`s just brilliant.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
The entry skill floor of a f2p game is very low, so I understand if people think they are playing against bots.
The bot difficulty is all over the place for me. I can go one around where the enemy bots play like slugs but the next game they play like gaming gods but all awhile my team plays like your little brother who thinks he is playing even though the controller is not plugged in.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
The bot difficulty is all over the place for me. I can go one around where the enemy bots play like slugs but the next game they play like gaming gods but all awhile my team plays like your little brother who thinks he is playing even though the controller is not plugged in.
Yeah the dynamic bot difficult does help with high sbmm matches if someone quits.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i regularly get jump scared in this game
also I don't know if this is possible but it'd be cool if you could telefrag someone by closing a portal

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
also I don't know if this is possible but it'd be cool if you could telefrag someone by closing a portal

Well it's (In both cases) unfortunately because portals in this seem to be very literal instant A->B Teleports in function (like Narbacular Drop) instead of smooth boreholes through geometry like Portal's portals. I still wonder to this day how exactly those worked. Y'know, smoothly transitioning objects between two different non-adjacent places in space like they were adjacent.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
lol that would also prevent ppl from rag dolling around within a portal i suppose which would add some pretty dark strategy to the game, but oh well game is still rad

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I have a very strong feeling that I've seen a very similar game like this a long time ago. Also described as a "halo/portal" mashup. Wondering if this is the same game.

edit
Ahh , this was previously called Wormhole Wars.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really clicking with this. It's not even trying to hide the Halo influence (am I crazy or is the Club Siphon map just Sword Base from Halo: Reach) but the lack of shields means TTK is much quicker which I don't mind.

I'm doing really good most games, however once people really come to grips with the portal system I assume the skill gaps are going to widen considerably. In my experience, most people really aren't engaging with the portals that much, playing it more like a standard shooter.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Putting a portal at the end of a hallway behind where enemies are filing in from, and as they rush towards you, going through the portal to directly behind them and gunning them down completely unaware of where you went? Pretty cool. Preeeeeeetty cool.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had a lot of fun with my friends playing this over the weekend. We'd get some pretty good streaks against console players, lol.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I wish they made the level higher to jump into ranked. I swear every other game I get some player that can't use the portals at all, it's an insta loss. :(

From diamond up on ranked, I think portal movement is more important than aim.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Is it exclusively bots? That would explain why I was doing so well lol

The skill level jumped considerably once I hit level 10, so that makes sense. Now I'll run into players that are like aimbots, they're so good.

I still find most people don't use portals all that well in the casual matches, me included. It feels fantastic to bamboozle someone with a portal though.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
The skill level jumped considerably once I hit level 10, so that makes sense. Now I'll run into players that are like aimbots, they're so good.

I still find most people don't use portals all that well in the casual matches, me included. It feels fantastic to bamboozle someone with a portal though.
For sure, using a portal to snipe people feels amazing

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
I was a god for the first 10 levels. I hate it when games lure you in with a stealth bot crush. My ego can't take that kind of whiplash!

Fun game though.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
Unless bots started copying your emotes, talk in voice and text chat and have Steam accounts these days I really doubt it only matches you with bots until you've reached level 10.

Mar 19, 2020
Played for a while last night and it's kind of incredible! Halo with a lower TTK is like exactly my kind of jam, so I went from skeptical to hooked. I think I'd love it even if the portals weren't there!

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Are queue times still insane? Wanted to play on a few occasions but waiting for 30 minutes is kind of offputting...

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Portal kills are absolutely posible, i've accidentally done it once before when closing my portals, couldnt believe it haha

Are queue times still insane? Wanted to play on a few occasions but waiting for 30 minutes is kind of offputting...

not anymore, i've not ever had one longer than a minute nowadays, worked smoothly with friends on Wednesday night, was finally able to show them the game and they liked it too.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to disable playing against bots? I don't appreciate this game feeding into my ego and tricking me like a dumb dumb. I want the real deal.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nextlander was talking about this and... it does look like a Xbox Live Arcade game.

Also, it seems like Halo now has Portals?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it a lot, the gameplay is really fun.

Here's a couple of clips from my matches today.

The only issue I have with the game is that you're very rarely on a level playing field. Either lobbies are mixed with bots, or they're with people who are using keyboard and mouse. As a controller player, I should never have to play against anyone that uses keyboard and mouse. I don't really mind the bots, you can barely tell and I think it keeps things running more smoothly, and they're fairly convincing too, at least for new players, but it'd be nice if the game maybe tried harder to avoid featuring them.

Either way, I think the game is really good fun overall. Hope they keep polishing it up. I'd like to see input based matchmaking exclusively (like Apex Legends) alongside more maps and visual polish.+

Play with someone in your party above level 10 ;)

That doesn't disable them. When I play with friends who are new to the game we always get a bot lobby when they first start playing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have with the game is that you're very rarely on a level playing field. Either lobbies are mixed with bots, or they're with people who are using keyboard and mouse. As a controller player, I should never have to play against anyone that uses keyboard and mouse.
After level 10 which doesn't take especially long to hit, you won't be playing with bots. And you can turn off crossplay. Now that may not turn off console players who are playing with mouse and keyboard but the percentage of those people is relatively low.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
After level 10 which doesn't take especially long to hit, you won't be playing with bots. And you can turn off crossplay. Now that may not turn off console players who are playing with mouse and keyboard but the percentage of those people is relatively low.

I definitely still see bots in games after level 10 though.

I think when people drop out, they get replaced by a bot regardless of the level? They definitely get much less common (pre level 10 it's almost like every enemy is a bot) but they're still present.

OP
OP
Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely still see bots in games after level 10 though.

I think when people drop out, they get replaced by a bot regardless of the level? They definitely get much less common (pre level 10 it's almost like every enemy is a bot) but they're still present.
Interesting. I'll try to pay attention more to see if that is happening with me.

As hard as I try, my brain still can't wrap itself around the portal system during the heat of a firefight.

Yeah its challenging/difficult. While I think it adds a whole twist and interesting spin on the genre, I won't lie. I'll appreciate when Halo Infinite comes out so I can just worry about shooting people and not have to try to use my brain so much on portals. It's a real struggle for me on the maps that are essentially super vertical like olympus because halo doesn't really have maps like that.

On a random side note, I finally got around to trying out ranked tonight and it was really enjoyable. No smg starts. They are pickups. So you don't have to worry about people just sprinting around and hosing you down everytime like in the social playlists. And the radar being off is so much better. I can't really understand why games like Halo/splitgate even have radar even in the social playlists. It has such a negative impact imo.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Just played a few games and this is ace! Glad I decided to give it a go, it'll certainly tide me over until Infinite.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
been playing for about a week and yeah it's a solid game, needs time in the oven for sure but otherwise it's built on a solid foundation. would love to see a ui overhaul assp

oasis is by far the best map and i'd like to see more like it. open, a good mix of verticality and lateral size. good mix of air combat and ground combat. portal placements make sense

as in every fps people will find a way to camp and portal camping is quite annoying. there should be a cooldown for making portals

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
been playing for about a week and yeah it's a solid game, needs time in the oven for sure but otherwise it's built on a solid foundation. would love to see a ui overhaul assp

oasis is by far the best map and i'd like to see more like it. open, a good mix of verticality and lateral size. good mix of air combat and ground combat. portal placements make sense

as in every fps people will find a way to camp and portal camping is quite annoying. there should be a cooldown for making portals
I dunno portal camping gets less effective as you get more used to the game. Its more about good movement around the map and during gunfights than sitting behind a portal with a good view.

That said, Oasis is kind of the exception with lots of hidey holes and portal areas that can see vast areas of the map.

I much prefer the simulation maps personally. Far more portal-able surfaces meaning faster movement and more opportunities to be clever in a fight. They really work to highlight the strengths of this game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I was gonna ignore this, but my friend persuaded me to give it a go. Being free and all. It seems pretty good, though I wish that jetpack gave more boost. Most I have used the portals so far was in the tutorial, it does seem like neat gimmick to a fast paced shooter. I wonder how the pros will utilize them, or if they found them mostly as a distraction from their own play.

03sho

Nov 2, 2017
Never played Halo multiplayer before and looking to get Infinite at launch. Been playing splitgate and having tons of fun with it. Is this what Halo multiplayer is like because I can't wait.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Never played Halo multiplayer before and looking to get Infinite at launch. Been playing splitgate and having tons of fun with it. Is this what Halo multiplayer is like because I can't wait.
Haven't played Halo for a long time but I remember the time to kill being slightly higher.

Other than that though yeah, this is almost identical, even the weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.