• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Back in the day I remember not liking that they changed the physics of the cars to be heavier even more than Burnout 3. Now these days I'd give anything to have a big bombastic arcade racer again.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Final Destination: The Racing Game. I remember playing the demo over and over, but I just never picked it up. Dunno why.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Just tried the demo and didn't enjoy it, the destruction was nice but didn't see any depth or charm to it. Sorry for the devs tho.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely amazing game, shame they never got to make another one - especially with the teaser at the end

Also this game IS backwards compatible on Xbox!

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
My favorite arcade Racing ever.
Completed it all and I'm still ranked 1 online. Just checked yesterday.

Masterpiece with 7 of your friends. Lots of laughs and a wonderful time. The dam level was amazing.

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
Loved it back in the day! I'm not even a fan of racing games in general (Mario Kart aside) but this was so much fun in multiplayer! Never understood why this bombed so hard, sales-wise :(

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
For me, Split Second was was the epitome of what I want from an arcade racer. From the intense action and destruction to the music, everything came together to provide a heart-pounding experience of pure fun. It is among my top 3 arcade racers of all time, along with Road Rash (PC, PS1, 3D0 version) and Motorstorm.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I played it recently and had a blast in the normal races, but the helicopter attack missions were frustrating as hell to try and get Gold in.

When it's at it's best, it's a beast. :)

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Game was high-octane fun, but the rubber-banding AI was insane and prevented me from beating the game. Still enjoyed the shit out of what I played.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Split Second and Burnout 3 are my favorite arcade racing games. They are everything that I want in an over-the-top racing game.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite arcade racer from last generation. A proper sequel would have been amazing.

Draenoth

Dec 10, 2018
Hands down my favorite arcade racer of the PS3 era. I wish a sequel could happen on modern hardware, hell I'd even settle for a remaster, but with Blackrock gone it'll never happen.

*edit* Looks like there's a PC port on Steam. No online, and locked at 30fps. Probably gonna snag that next time it's on sale.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Great game that sadly began and ended with just 1 game so much potential for bigger and grander set pieces that were such fun and has spectacle.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I actually started playing it through playstation now recently. Even with the terrible lag streaming causes me i had still fun. What says a lot because normally spinning out of control because input lag should not be fun at all.
I also was suprised that there are still people racing online.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember having so much fun with both Split/Second and Blur way back then. I can definitely see why it didn't become huge, but it was such a cool game and concept that it really is a shame it didn't continue.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Is this similar to MotorStorm: Apocalypse?

I'd say the main difference is that the Power Plays (When stuff explodes) is what you can do yourself by charging your powers, there's 3 levels and some of them are more devastating than others. Motorstorm Apocalypse did whatever it does based on which lap you were on if I remember correctly.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'd say the main difference is that the Power Plays (When stuff explodes) is what you can do yourself by charging your powers, there's 3 levels and some of them are more devastating than others. Motorstorm Apocalypse did whatever it does based on which lap you were on if I remember correctly.
Sounds like something I'd enjoy, thank you. I own it on Xbox, might play it later tonight.

Motostorm: Apocolypse was so hectic, it featured some of the best racing set pieces.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
There's a 60 FPS mod on PC. Says it break some power plays, but one dude in the comments says he fixed this with .exe settings.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic game. With this and Pure we at least got a couple of great games before the arcade racer genre died.

Jul 26, 2018
I've bough this game 3 times. Back in my PS3 (so many hours being played), Xbox One X (BC), and on my new high end PC.

It was truly amazing to play it at max settings, both ultrawide, and on my LG CX with HDR and mods enabled. Sadly doesn't have controller support.

The greatest racing game imo. Heck I should even buy a physical copy for it.

The ONLY thing I hate about the game is the Ryback Firestorm is just OP. Too many drifters using the dam car in multiplayer and it was overall just annoying. Went all crazy buy using slower cars especially the challenging GT12 (fastest, yet weakest car) and won lots of races. Felt amazing to beat the drfitie normies!

I also wanna mention that I think there's a small community that is trying to make the sequel of the game. I don't remember too much about it but I think they had a Facebook page or something.

The creator even made mods such as adding the Bugatti Chrion to the game which looked epic.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like something I'd enjoy, thank you. I own it on Xbox, might play it later tonight.

Motostorm: Apocolypse was so hectic, it featured some of the best racing set pieces.

Yeah, it's sad that arcade racers like Blur, Motorstorm and Split Second didn't do all that well commercially, they're such a blast to play. Let us know how Split Second goes for you! The tutorials explain the key points very well but the handling can take a bit of getting used to at first, but when you get into the game's rythm it is so much fun.

Hopefully one day they'll come back in some fashion.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah, it's sad that arcade racers like Blur, Motorstorm and Split Second didn't do all that well commercially, they're such a blast to play. Let us know how Split Second goes for you! The tutorials explain the key points very well but the handling can take a bit of getting used to at first, but when you get into the game's rythm it is so much fun.

Hopefully one day they'll come back in some fashion.

I'm not into sim or semi arcade racers, but games like Motorstorm and Midnight club were my jam. I'll most likely enjoy Split second, it seems like my cup of tea from what I've read and seen.

I'm sure arcade racers will make a comeback in some fashion, Hotshot Racing is a good sign.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I recall buying this on steam a while back and had problems with it - I think controller implementation was wonky? Anyway I returned it. Anybody with any recent steam experience with it, maybe with DS4windows?

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Great fucking game man. Its the only racer from last gen my friends and I would play online on the regular.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite arcade racer ever.

Been replaying it on Series S and it absolutely holds up.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I'll always remember this as the game that finally killed my launch 60Gb PS3 in the summer of 2010. It speaks volumes about how great the game was that as the disc was stuck in the console, I rebought it so I could start over on my new PS3.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Still one of my favorite games in the past decade, so many fond memories of playing with my father, last year I tried it on PS Now and it's still magical, I would buy a Remaster ASAP

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
This game is awesome! I picked it up for a second time for the 360 a few years ago and had a great time playing through it again.
Such a shame it seemingly didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel. I went with Playstation last gen so I don't have an Xbox one, but I understand it's now backwards compatible.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
is there any xbox BC magic going on with this title? I played it on PC back in the day and absolutely loved it

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly my favourite arcade racing game ever. The controls felt so damn good. This was like an evolution on the Burnout forumla.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ooh I forgot this existed. I remember it being pretty fun, though I also seem to recall being kind of shit at it and having to retry a lot of races lol

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, aside from the frankly outrageous rubber-banding. I understand you want me to use the games mechanics to win, but having the AI always be slightly faster than you even if you drive much better is just pure bs.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It was a very fun game, it still looks very good today. But last time I tried it there were issues with recognizing my Xbox controller, at least in menus. It's from the early days of when PC games started to get proper controller support, other games such as Splinter Cell Double Agent have similar issues.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I think i put like 30 or so hours.... Into the demo haha.
Really should have brought it, was very fun.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I think a similar racer was announced for iOS?

Fantastic game, aside from the frankly outrageous rubber-banding. I understand you want me to use the games mechanics to win, but having the AI always be slightly faster than you even if you drive much better is just pure bs.

I feel you, especially with this game. But playing Dirt 5 for example on medium difficulty it gets kinda boring finishing most of the races with a 10 second lead for example.