• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly believe they're genuine in their statements and intent here. The problem is when your commercial product pertains to the memory of actual people who were shot in school, you better make damn sure your intended messaging is clear as day. The fact that the general reaction is outrage here tells us it is not. I'm firmly in the camp of "as art, it would've been a statement on awareness; but as a business venture it's fucking appalling."

Had they chosen to donate all profits to support victims' families, things would be at least a little bit better.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe they're genuine in their statements and intent here. The problem is when your commercial product pertains to the memory of actual people who were shot in school, you better make damn sure your intended messaging is clear as day. The fact that the general reaction is outrage here tells us it is not. I'm firmly in the camp of "as art, it would've been a statement on awareness; but as a business venture it's fucking appalling."

Had they chosen to donate all profits to support victims' families, things would be at least a little bit better.
Fair points.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Exactly how I feel.

Can't have your cake and eat it too, America. If guns are on shelves, these should be too.

Two things cannot simultaneously be wrong? The assumption that people against these are however perfectly fine with guns is kind of weird to say the least.

Kind of agree with this, especially the latter, but I have to wonder how many people would wear these as a statement of support with the victims and protest against gun laes, versus how many would do so purely for the edginess and shock value.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As an art project exposing the very thing we try to bury and highlight the every-day terror of school shootings, I think this is kind of great.

As a capitalistic fashion line designed to make money and mostly likely appeal only to edgy assholes who don't really care about any of the shootings . . . kinda fucked up.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But is the outrage genuine in its statements and intent?

We know the news media has built its empire from outrage so no actual report on this is genuine, it's just a way to generate money for the day. So they're out the window.
So then we are left with individual responses, are they genuine? Who can tell? Can we feel genuine outrage for something that wasn't our individual experience. It's like the idea of "it's what they would have wanted" when really what they would have wanted was to not be dead, and does anything that satires/questions that they are dead mean anything to the dead people.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Artistically really dope. America needs more reminders of how normalized gun culture is, just like their varsity wear. Reminds me of those "don't shoot me" sweaters and their ilk that have been popular in years past. It's actually really simple but effective social commentary.

I feel like these might have gone over a lot better if some proceeds went to lobbying for gun regulation or something, though. That kind of makes it more socially responsible.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
200.gif

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you failed for it by giving them the attention these fuckers were seeking and so did I by commenting. I think its disgusting.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
if 100% of the proceeds are donated to a worthy cause then it would be acceptable, I think

I also don't know why anyone would buy one

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I get what they were after. People wanna cancel this shit but yet we move on from shooting to shooting like none of it matters.

Art can be difficult and frustrating and cause anger.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what they're trying to say with the pieces, but, like most people have touched upon, these pieces (in a vacuum) are just distasteful, since they are meant to be purchased. It is literally profiting off of a national tragedy. Considering people are supposed to wear these in situations outside of a fashion show, it comes off as callous and cruel.

If this were something like an art installation, then it makes more sense. But, as clothing meant to be worn in all types of situations, it is distasteful.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
they are people that are able to choose to say; wtf? i quit; If this is all they were able to model but whatever; everybodys got a price; i bet theirs wasn't too high for this gig edit; i understand what your saying about being blackballed but i doubt theyd get blackballed for rejecting this 'gig' and explaining why if they had to
neither anything positive or negative will come from doing a job like this. it's just a job. they'll have dozens and dozens more not even based off of this one. they will continue to just model in whatever capacity keeps them employed because none of it matters besides the next job and whatever they want for the future.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would be a fair critique of US gun culture as an art piece but loses its meaning in being an actual business idea

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how do you feel about the news coverage of these mass killings at centers of adolescent, or even childhood education? is that equally disgusting? or does the fact this sweatshirt has reappropriated it make it worse?

i guess i don't get it. it's about money?

Oct 27, 2017
Do we even know if these are actually going to be sold?

I didn't see any indication in the article or their instagram that the hoodies were going to be commodities. Seems like a "shocking" Fashion Week offering to get their names in headlines and "raise awareness" at the same time.

And it worked~

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know if these are actually going to be sold?

I didn't see any indication in the article or their instagram that the hoodies were going to be commodities. Seems like a "shocking" Fashion Week offering to get their names in headlines and "raise awareness" at the same time.

And it worked~

maybe? that's usually the point of a fashion show

Oct 27, 2017
maybe? that's usually the point of a fashion show
Yea, I'm not shitting on them (well mainly shitting on the phrase raise awareness, but that's a tangent for a different time).

I got a lot of friends/family in the Fashion scene. So while Era might freak out over this, I feel like this isn't close to the craziest thing

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Hook is an elementary school... why the fuck would it have any apparel, much less sized for adults

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
pretty gross, but it got a no name streetwear brand's name in the news for a minute

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, if you're more upset about these guys profiting off some sweaters than you are about gun manufacturers profiting off the slaughter of innocent school children, I'm going to say you probably don't have your priorities straight and should gain some perspective.

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, if you're more upset about these guys profiting off some sweaters than you are about gun manufacturers profiting off the slaughter of innocent school children, I'm going to say you probably don't have your priorities straight and should gain some perspective.
Yup.

Any outrage at these hoodies is ridiculous and misplaced, IMO, given what they actually represent. America has a disease that's killing it from the inside out, and people are getting angry at the red spots on the skin instead of trying to cure the sickness.

If you are not actively fighting the issue or campaigning for better gun control while getting mad at these (admittedly gross on a surface level) articles of clothing, your opinion is hollow and meaningless.

can we stop with this ridiculous attitude, who the fuck in this topic said they don't care about shootings but are only mad at these clothes? At all? Even a little? No one. You can care and be upset at multiple things.

The people who post shit like this are the ones who do the least and just want to sound good on forums. You just come off as holier than thou gatekeepers.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Excuse me but I am perfectly capable at directing my anger at more than one individual/company/group.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
can we stop with this ridiculous attitude, who the fuck in this topic said they don't care about shootings but are only mad at these clothes? At all? Even a little? No one. You can care and be upset at multiple things.

The people who post shit like this are the ones who do the least and just want to sound good on forums. You just come off as holier than thou gatekeepers.

Excuse me but I am perfectly capable at directing my anger at more than one individual/company/group.

The point is this is not something worth your anger and ire. Channel your energy it in the right directions and you can actually maybe someday hope to change things. You only have so many hours in the day, and in your life, to be outraged. From a societal perspective if you focus on the things that are hurting and killing people, maybe those things will be more likely to change. Once those problems are solved, worry about the other ones.

But whatever, get mad about everything, I don't care. I never said "don't be upset about this"...I just said you should be way more upset about the fact companies are profiting off the murder of children. Like, I seriously don't even think we have a thread about that. We have threads about shootings and about gun control, but the root of the problem is that companies (gun manufactures, retailers, and lobbyists) are allowed to profit off of murder, and it's sick.