• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That looks well above average to me. I hire experienced (5-10 years) devs with salaries of $60k-$70k, and I do live in a place with a relatively high cost of living.

Really? In the US still as well? Huh. I live in Atlanta if that helps at all, but 60 to 70 for entry is generally passed over for other companies in most of my circles for software dev.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Huh?

If it wasn't for London, £25k is way above average. The UK salary "average" is massively falsified by London.

And I say that as someone on a fair bit more than that.

£25k is about right for an entry level technical field.

The UK median wage in 2020 was £586 a week or £30,420 a year(~$42,500).

The median wage in London was £716 a week (~20% higher than national median). From the data below, every region in the UK has a median income above £25k.

6739bacc-a5b5-4cf1-a0a9-7d585ef43465.png

Source

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Damn, 64K for 15years is rough

Its probably that way because the gaming industry has more supply than demand. Alot of people don't know that there's alot of competition in the gaming industry and salary to start is a pittance (depending on cost of living and city you live in). You have to get alot of years of experience to move up. Worse for lead designers as I think it doesn't really involve having degrees, more practical experience in the industry to move up.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
ITT people who don't understand salary vs total comp.

I suggest all of you look in to what your total comp is vs. what your salary is before snapping judgment on Nintendo. Yes 44K total comp would be low in the states, that's not what Nintendo is offering. 44K base outside of comp is a different thing though... Base in the US is also going to be a bit different. Factor in your insurance premiums, cost of healthcare, then Nintendo is also paying transportation and a housing stipend which I guarantee you you're not getting in the US.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd literally have to pay for a salary like that, smh at the "Seems low" bunch.
When I left undergrad (US based; within the last decade), some entry level jobs at other firms in my industry were paying $200k. This seems very low to me, much like I was surprised to see US wages in general are low. I mean, I get some of that is work-based privilege, but also...huh.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Really? In the US still as well? Huh. I live in Atlanta if that helps at all, but 60 to 70 for entry is generally passed over for other companies in most of my circles for software dev.
In Canada, Toronto to be specific where cost of living is fairly high (average home price just exceeded $1 million). There are certainly companies here who pay much better, but it's not universal for anyone coming from a STEM background.

Our HR department has been candid about our pay scales, but it's not like we are hurting to find candidates.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's very obvious that many posters in this thread are not familiar with life in Japan. Pay there doesn't compare to the US for a lot of similar positions.
The fuck? Factor in apartment costs in Kyoto and you'll barely make enough to survive on.
I lived in Tokyo with less just fine, not that I would be opposed to better paying jobs in Japan...

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That doesn't seem that low? Everywhere is not silicon valley where you get high pay and no benefits. Here in Sweden (not stockholm) it's not that different from that pay.

Last edited:

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
This kinda sounds like transitional play tester job, with excellent benefits. Seems like a well paid job all things considered.

An awful lot of people in this thread not thinking about the factors and benefits that go into this, thus shitty hot takes.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't seem that low? Everywhere is not silicon valley where you get high pay and no benifits. Here in Sweden (not stockholm) it's not that different from that pay.
I've said it before, but American tech salaries (and I mean all tech, even outside of the big name brand companies) are probably the highest in the world and people here don't seem to realize that.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Aye wtf does everyone on here earn! Resetera always seems to skew quite well off.
I am on barely over half of that and UK based.
Do graduate computing science folks earn much more than £25k with 0 experience?

We typically hire computer science undergraduates fresh out of uni at around £28-30k (~$40k).

This is at a government science lab in the UK (outside London, but in the South). Worth nothing that generally we offer lower than private sector wages due to gov pay constraints, employee benefits and the defined benefit pension scheme.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Paying you 35k plus bonuses and other benefits with 0 experience is a bad salary???

80% of the worlds populations wished it had those conditions.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
people here literally ignored the benefits on top of the salary which doesn't include possibly comissions

benefits include Full payment of transportation expenses, housing allowance, overtime allowance, various social insurance, relocation allowance, reemployment support, etc

Those benefits are literally the bare minimum. Well except for maybe in the US because screw labor laws there.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
Did you all think game devs were rolling in cash or something? I was making about that as a Senior Animator in the UK.

That said it mostly depends on cost of living, which I have no reference for in Osaka.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we shouldn't be posting knee-jerk reactions without any understanding of total compensation or Japanese economics.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[
Aye wtf does everyone on here earn! Resetera always seems to skew quite well off.
I am on barely over half of that and UK based.
Do graduate computing science folks earn much more than £25k with 0 experience?

I was making $72k upon graduation with a CS degree. Granted this is very respectable but most CS graduates start around $50-60k for lower degrees/not well known places and this is Nintendo we are talking about so.. idk

This is not so much a country difference as much as it seems people wanting to defend Nintendo.

Edit: I think the correct statement would be that Japanese salaries are pretty low which applies to Nintendo. I wonder if NOA has a similar role. I would eat my hat if they do and it pays anything less than 50k atleast.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
$64k after 15 years seems pretty bad.

...unless Osaka is a reasonably priced place to live and work, in which case it's probably fine.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
people in this thread not understanding cost of living and cultural differences in how far that pay might go there rather than in the USA
that being said... my first job offer in the industry for a place in Wisconsin offered me 30-35k and I was absolutely STOKED. Obviously a bit in the past now, but still Lol

Yeah if you think about it, the $15 minimum wage that's being pushed, which should absolutely happen, is still only $15 x 40 x 52 = $31,200/year (roughly)

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
[

I was making $72k upon graduation with a CS degree. Granted this is very respectable but most CS graduates start around $50-60k for lower degrees/not well known places and this is Nintendo we are talking about so.. idk

This is not so much a country difference as much as it seems people wanting to defend Nintendo.
The US market absolutely is known to pay software engineers much better than Europe and Asia, for many reasons. This is a pretty well established phenomenon

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
[

Edit: I think the correct statement would be that Japanese salaries are pretty low which applies to Nintendo. I wonder if NOA has a similar role. I would eat my hat if they do and it pays anything less than 50k atleast.
Ummh no, it's a country difference. Well in my (uni) city at least starting at $50k is above average for new CS grads. And I know from my japanese friends that average engineering salary is lower in japan than here.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything about salaries in the video game world, but that's considerably less money than I make as a teacher in Japan and I find that pretty shocking. They would have to have 10 years of experience to be pulling in more than I do. I also get housing, transportation, etc.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's very obvious that many posters in this thread are not familiar with life in Japan. Pay there doesn't compare to the US for a lot of similar positions.
Yeah. Here's a better comparison:

Cost of Living in Japan: What You Should Know | InterNations

Why is it so expensive to live in Japan? The answer may surprise you. Read our InterNations cost of living section to learn more.

In Japan, we use monthly salary rather than yearly salary.

$35K/year = approximately $2916/month. For sake of clarity, we'll round this to $2920.

An average worker's monthly salary is around 280,000–300,000 JPY per month, or 2,500–2,700 USD per month. Nintendo's offering is above average, and thus, is considered well-paid.

A single person living in Tokyo can expect to spend around 120,000 JPY (1,100 USD) per month, not including rent. If you add in the average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment, this expense goes up to nearly 245,000 JPY (2,200 USD). A family living in Tokyo will see that number tripled, because there are family-oriented, additional benefits.

Charizard

OP, please update your thread post and add some additional notes to compare salary with cost of living in Japan. Rather than directly converting to USD and comparing it with the cost of living in America.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
[

Nah the US wages for CS-related jobs are much higher than places like the UK and Europe, for example.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah. Here's a better comparison:

Cost of Living in Japan: What You Should Know | InterNations

Why is it so expensive to live in Japan? The answer may surprise you. Read our InterNations cost of living section to learn more.

In Japan, we use monthly salary rather than yearly salary.

$35K/year = approximately $2916/month. For sake of clarity, we'll round this to $2920.

An average worker's monthly salary is around 280,000–300,000 JPY per month, or 2,500–2,700 USD per month. Nintendo's offering is above average, and thus, is considered well-paid.

A single person living in Tokyo can expect to spend around 120,000 JPY (1,100 USD) per month, not including rent. If you add in the average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment, this expense goes up to nearly 245,000 JPY (2,200 USD). A family living in Tokyo will see that number tripled, because there are family-oriented, additional benefits.
Oh, cool. I had no clue you were in Japan.

It should be noted that you can (like anywhere) find much cheaper rent in Tokyo. I had an 1LDK that was decently spacious in Kasai like a 10 min walk from the station for ~$800 bucks a month with utilities. I rode my bike to work, and I cooked most of my own meals. I was able to save like half of my pay every month.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
35M JPY is more than enough to live comfortably in Japan. Monthly living costs in Kyoto for 1 person can easily fall under 100,000 JPY (Rent + Utilities + Food combined)
That being said, considering Nintendo pays both a commute allowance and a housing allowance, I'd say it actually fairs even better than most entry gigs.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Lets be real, are they really hiring someone with 0 years of development for a game this important though?
Many Japanese companies, especially fairly large ones like Nintendo do yearly group hiring, where a hundred or so people are hired even before they graduate University. Then they do orientation in Spring and teach over the next few years how to be a part of the work environment and what skills they need for their particular department. Unlike other places, in Japan 0 years of experience really means 0 years of experience.

The total package and pay seems reasonable and competitive for Japan.

Oct 26, 2017
The replies in this thread make me sad working for an American company in a 3rd world country. Started with 6.5k annually and now with 8 years of experience barely earning 17.5k. Cost of living and taxes here are also pretty high if you want to have a good standard of living so yeah 35k a year with housing and benefits in Japan seems better.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone receiving this in brazil would be rich lol
Once again people from the US applying their standards to the rest of the world

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
That doesn't get you shit in California that's all I know. No idea how expensive it is to live in Japan's cities. Seems like a low amount of money for how specialized it is.