• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any indication this title is running on a newer machine?
I don't see anything that would indicate such a thing. It looks good, but that's due to a very strong art direction (as usual for this series). There's nothing here that is outside the capabilities of Switch hardware. There's plenty of aliasing too. I haven't pixel counted, but it looks below 1080p.

That's okay by me. Just give me that solid 60fps experience and I'll be happy.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I was giddy initially when watching that trailer but the pacing was so lethargic it dampened some of my hype. The teaser could've been better.

It started strong with the suggestion of playable Salmanoids but the train section was a complete drag and the multiplayer stuff barely showed anything that would say they are doing radically different things for the uninitiated.

Personally usable chargers in the air is scary cool but it is hard to tell if this means Splatoon will involve a bunch of aerial options like Quake and Titanfall or if it is just a simple charger class upgrade. If they made that clearer my anticipation could have been higher.

I've come around to Pearl but I still would've preferred Marina as the main npc we interact with.

Also where's Grizzco?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is a franchise that sells more than Xenoblade, Fire emblem and Kirby together obscure?
It is huge. Its just rather new, so not that known under the "old guard", and is one of the frnachises that is unproportionaly huge on one area compared to others (Japan). 11 million... how many games can claim that in the last view years? how many entries do you need to not be "obscure"?
I agree. Splattoon is not as notorious among older crowds as those games, but it's hardly obscure. It's not like you need to be a Nintendo fan to know the series at this point.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
How is a franchise that sells more than Xenoblade, Fire emblem and Kirby together obscure?
It is huge. Its just rather new, so not that known under the "old guard", and is one of the frnachises that is unproportionaly huge on one area compared to others (Japan). 11 million... how many games can claim that in the last view years? how many entries do you need to not be "obscure"?
This forum is not a good representation of the gaming landscape.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
There better be an actual proper action-adventure campaign with adequate budget this time around, as otherwise it feels like even less of a new package than say a Call Of Duty.

Did they ever up the tick-rate of Splatoon 2 to match Splatoon 1's? If not, thats the one thing they could certainly improve for 3, otherwise I don't really know what the draw is for much of this package other than "its this, again!!"

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently they said something similar again this month. 8 years would be a ridiculously long time for a console though - even longer than the gap between NES & SNES.
Being halfway through a lifespan doesn't necessarily mean that's the length of the gap between hardware. Nintendo sometimes overlaps its handheld lines for a while during generational transitions. GBA was sold for a while after the DS for example. 3DS was sold until last summer along side the Switch.

I could see the Switch Lite having an extended life.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
This forum is not a good representation of the gaming landscape.
Im aware of that. But for the gaming landscape...what part of it? the nintendo part? the sony part? PC gaming? chinese gaming? mobile gaming?
The gaming landscape is diverse. I can find you huge franchises that the average person, even if he playes, never heard of. Heck, take sonys multi million dolar sellers, if people miss the big marketing campaigns around release, there is a chance that people can have a ps4 and be into gaming and not know Ghost of tsushima if they are not "into gaming" ... as in "following the discourse about games".

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There better be an actual proper action-adventure campaign with adequate budget this time around, as otherwise it feels like even less of a new package than say a Call Of Duty.

Did they ever up the tick-rate of Splatoon 2 to match Splatoon 1's? If not, thats the one thing they could certainly improve for 3, otherwise I don't really know what the draw is for much of this package other than "its this, again!!"

Have you checked out the Octo Expansion? I'd rather have that instead of an action adventure campaign.

The contained platforming and shooting challenges are very much like Super Mario Galaxy levels. They're tightly made and highly creative. I don't think wide sweeping battlefields would be as conducive to what makes the series cool.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Have you checked out the Octo Expansion? I'd rather have that instead of an action adventure campaign.

The contained platforming and shooting challenges are very much like Super Mario Galaxy levels. They're tightly made and highly creative. I don't think wide sweeping battlefields would be as conducive to what makes the series cool.
I did hear it was a lot better, which gives me more hope for 3's missions, but my position on 2 was I rented it, played some of Salmon Run, then sent it back. Not really a fan of how much Nintendo games end up costing for what I'd perceive as 'the full game' these days with expansion passes, like with Sword and Shield for instance, so I never actually dipped back and picked up the Octo stuff. Also the fact the multiplayer played worse than what I played on the WiiU was a huge turnoff.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

I am kinda pissed this is octopath 3. I hoped for a spin off, since i like the core mechanics and WANT a standalone octo expansion, but have 0 intrest in the multiplayer...but that is the focus of these games. A simgle player splatoon game would be all i want, either action adventure or platforming focused.

Maybe the third one will have learned from octo expansion and have a beefy great single player.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
man some of the takes in this thread are hilarious, imagine trying to spin a 10 million seller as obscure or a five year development cycle as too soon for a sequel.
Splatoon 3 is looking dope and deserves some goddamn RESPEK

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Did I just fucking read "Splatoon" and "obscure" in the same sentence

lmao

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
ug7ldm6v05i61.png
In case anyone's curious, I mapped out Splatsville based on the shots from the trailer. Only place I can't quite place is the back alley. The green line is the path of the overhead train line. I also made a Reddit post documenting some other findings and how I pieced it together here.

One interesting fact is the fact that normal spawnpoints still exist, but are taped shut, with the tarp even nailed to the ground:

nyrma7ls25i61.png

Maybe they'll only be active on some modes? Or they're only used for landing when super jumping?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of the trailer evokes a story-based adventure game. I think it'd be cool if the game had that.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I thought this was going to be an expansion... the "3" shocked me! 😄

I really wish the other studios were as active... Missing my Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart...

But more Splatoon isn't a bad thing either.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The octo expansion trailer had way better pacing. And the version 4 trailer is also better.
I liked the beginning... but then it kinda moved to "generic splatoon" gameplay. Not a problem, but still kind of...eh.

even the "generic splatoon" part of the trailer was highlighting new changes with every shot pretty much

h7HEf6i.gif

main thing here is the new spawn mechanic, though you can also see some other changes like the new bow not just being a single player thing, eliter looks revamped, that blaster looks revamped, .96 gal looks revamped, also the first inkling on the left with the bow has a new facial animation that looks cool

xWymemo.gif

new spawn mechanic in action, you get to pick where to jump to

07jKHmE.gif

quick shot of the bow in action, in the second shot you see it lit up which I'm sure indicates something, maybe it's a charge shot or something. also get a look at one of the new movement options which looks like a squid dodge.

4AgtkFz.gif

and the second new movement option where you can swim up a wall and jump up into the air

cYvSROK.gif

new map obvs

9SC2WIm.gif

I think this is a tease of the revamped inkzooka, the front nozzle looks the same when we see it later but nice tease from the back

then you get more looks at the new map starting with it uninked interspersed with looks at some of the revamped weapons and new gear. looks like an eliter, blaster, splattershot, and the .96 gal and the hydra which looks pretty identical to splat 2

UenlQOK.gif

then you get whatever this crab thing is

FbKUWmk.gif

and finally the front look at the revamped inkzooka. that iconic green and orange. it's back baybeeeee!

literally every shot has new nuggets

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Was looking through the thread and found this image

G1pyZ0M.png

Which has the octoling standing at the edge of the back alley and unfortunately disproved my earlier map. You can't see the railway tracks here, but if we assume that the planes always go in the same direction that might help place it, since we see an airplane go overhead in a trailer shot.

hbrwg9dpy4i61.png

I did notice now that you can actually see this same place in the piggy bank building, meaning that it's no actually a building, but just a statue overlooking the back alley! As such, this means the actual layout is something like this:

unknown.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's so strange to me how Splatoon 3 gets all this "generic Splatoon" and "looks like Splatoon" comments when it will end up being five years since the previous games while other franchises pump out yearly or bi-yearly sequels.

There's definitely a strange double standard and/or ignorance when it comes to Splatoon.

Oct 25, 2017
This looks downright spectacular. The production value, style, and ambition of Splatoon is now right up there with Nintendo's best of the best. Looks just as slick and exciting as when I saw BotW and Odyssey for the first time.

I'm also thrilled it's not a spinoff. Why would I want a self-contained single player adventure that would likely last a couple dozen hours at most when I could have that PLUS hundreds upon hundreds of additional hours in the best online multiplayer series I've ever played?

This wait is already killing me more than an overrun platform during a Grizzco shift.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also the fact that they announced it this early when it's likely a summer 2022 game means they probably have a lot to say about the game

I'm expecting the new single player to be pretty fucking legit

now when's the first testfire you cowards?!?!?!

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
It's so strange to me how Splatoon 3 gets all this "generic Splatoon" and "looks like Splatoon" comments when it will end up being five years since the previous games while other franchises pump out yearly or bi-yearly sequels.

There's definitely a strange double standard and/or ignorance when it comes to Splatoon.

I think the issue is there is already an entry that serves the purpose (why split player base?) and takes development time from other titles.

If this is launching with new hardware next year with Zelda BOTW 2 that is a different story.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought with all this time we'd get pass people who barely touched the series going "it's just splatoon 2 why wasn't this just DLC / why was it the one more thing announcement". Reminds me of "Oh Splatoon on switch is definitely just going to be a port with DLC, a Splatoon 1.5" when it had obvious changes to anyone who's played.

Anyways, I'm excited and hope it's the first half of 2022, would love to see more at E3 and in the later months of this year.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really thought with all this time we'd get pass people who barely touched the series going "it's just splatoon 2 why wasn't this just DLC / why was it the one more thing announcement". Reminds me of "Oh Splatoon on switch is definitely just going to be a port with DLC, a Splatoon 1.5" when it had obvious changes to anyone who's played.

Anyways, I'm excited and hope it's the first half of 2022, would love to see more at E3 and in the later months of this year.

Splatoon 2 was as much of a sequel as Halo 2. (But more fun). And I think Halo 2 set the modern day standard for his to do a shooter sequel.

I'm sure Splatoon 3 will deliver. They have even more time and experience now to deliver something special.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
even the "generic splatoon" part of the trailer was highlighting new changes with every shot pretty much

h7HEf6i.gif

main thing here is the new spawn mechanic, though you can also see some other changes like the new bow not just being a single player thing, eliter looks revamped, that blaster looks revamped, .96 gal looks revamped, also the first inkling on the left with the bow has a new facial animation that looks cool

xWymemo.gif

new spawn mechanic in action, you get to pick where to jump to

07jKHmE.gif

quick shot of the bow in action, in the second shot you see it lit up which I'm sure indicates something, maybe it's a charge shot or something. also get a look at one of the new movement options which looks like a squid dodge.

4AgtkFz.gif

and the second new movement option where you can swim up a wall and jump up into the air

cYvSROK.gif

new map obvs

9SC2WIm.gif

I think this is a tease of the revamped inkzooka, the front nozzle looks the same when we see it later but nice tease from the back

then you get more looks at the new map starting with it uninked interspersed with looks at some of the revamped weapons and new gear. looks like an eliter, blaster, splattershot, and the .96 gal and the hydra which looks pretty identical to splat 2

UenlQOK.gif

then you get whatever this crab thing is

FbKUWmk.gif

and finally the front look at the revamped inkzooka. that iconic green and orange. it's back baybeeeee!

literally every shot has new nuggets
I know. And i never said it looked like splatoon 2. I just said the trailer pacing/construction looked kinda booring.
And generic splatoon gameplay does not mean "nothing new". Its stuff that if you are already into splatoon seems like cool changes, but if you're not then the trailer wont be like "wow, that looks so fresh". in other words: its a trailer for fans, not to convince non fans. (which is okay. I just found it way less interesting then the Octo expansion or version 4 trailers)

Edit before i get cited:
I dont have a problem with the game. I dont think its "just dlc". Its still far out so there will be a lot of stuff shown that even for the average player looks new, not just fans. I have 0.0% interest in the multiplayer. I love the style of splatoon and wanted a single player focused, which is the reason im not that enthusiastic about this anouncement. I still am hoping that the single player is a substantial one so that i can rationalize buying a multiplayer game. Im still pissed that octo expansion has no standalone release.

Also: dont know if its true, or if it is intentional, but to read that the nonbinary flag is the
color palet for the game and seing that there is no gender option is something i like.

Last edited:

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Disagree. Fantastic reveal. A bit of a fake out and then right into new gameplay.

as a new game reveal?

mid love to see the brief for it, and who their audience was. To me that trailer goes against most best practices I know, especially in terms of growing a brands reach :🤷:

it's not a big deal, if core fans like it at least it's a decent engagement asset then

Sk17

Jan 5, 2019

G1pyZ0M.png

Which has the octoling standing at the edge of the back alley and unfortunately disproved my earlier map. You can't see the railway tracks here, but if we assume that the planes always go in the same direction that might help place it, since we see an airplane go overhead in a trailer shot.

hbrwg9dpy4i61.png

I did notice now that you can actually see this same place in the piggy bank building, meaning that it's no actually a building, but just a statue overlooking the back alley! As such, this means the actual layout is something like this:

unknown.png
This is the kind of trailer analysis I love to see. What does the green line mean though?

Also, did anyone see a Grizzco building/sign anywhere in Splatsville? If not, I think it is highly possible we get a revamped horde mode cause it seems like the salmonids may not be the enemies this time around. In any case, I think Grizzco's business will be a big part of the singleplayer story in this one.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Splatoon is fairly obscure without a doubt and you misread my post as I'm pointing out the general unfamiliarity most Era users seem to have with the series staple single player given the first few pages. One terrific 11mil entry on a 80m console does not make a franchise a notorious household name to the level of Mario, Pokémon or Last of Us even, lol, no need to reassure me though as I'm very much looking forward to Splatoon 3.
wtf are you talking about?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me that I should really play the single player and get the dlc at some point. I'm at S rank in multiplayer but barely even touched the campaign or even Salmon Run.

How'd the Octo DLC anyway?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This reminds me that I should really play the single player and get the dlc at some point. I'm at S rank in multiplayer but barely even touched the campaign or even Salmon Run.

How'd the Octo DLC anyway?
It's amazing.

I hope you don't fall into the trap of doing everything "RPG-lite" in the single player. Maintain an action and platforming adventure with a great level design like Octoexpansion.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
This is the kind of trailer analysis I love to see. What does the green line mean though?

Also, did anyone see a Grizzco building/sign anywhere in Splatsville? If not, I think it is highly possible we get a revamped horde mode cause it seems like the salmonids may not be the enemies this time around. In any case, I think Grizzco's business will be a big part of the singleplayer story in this one.
Green line is the train line that goes over the city. It's been pretty useful in placing locations. Explained that in an earlier post, but forgot to include the explanation here.

In my analysis of the trainer, I couldn't find any explicit Grizzco signs.

sal8Ssk.png

There is this sign of a power egg next to the piggy bank statue, though.

The Grizzco logo itself I couldn't find anywhere.

EuhYDMyVIAIDneo

I also couldn't find any writing that looks like anything on this building.

dgcbp31zy8i61.png

My best guess would be the building seen here, as it's in the piggy bank alleyway.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also the new way to spawn in just looks cool with them all posing on the launchers, which pleases my ape brain

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

G1pyZ0M.png

hbrwg9dpy4i61.png

unknown.png

Nice analysis.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Having gone through all the 'Splatoon 1.5' nonsense over 2, I've got no time for people calling 3 a lazy sequel or whatever. Those people were wrong wrong wrong last time, so I don't see why I'd listen to them this time.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as a new game reveal?

mid love to see the brief for it, and who their audience was. To me that trailer goes against most best practices I know, especially in terms of growing a brands reach :🤷:

it's not a big deal, if core fans like it at least it's a decent engagement asset then
the japanese engagement was pretty on point. the NA trailer was ahead, then Japan woke up

they definitely could have shown more of what's changed than just new spawn and two new moves and 1 new weapon though. all the weapons are old, seems like many of the outfits are returning, barely shown any of the new hub and single player. but it's also a 2022 game, so they have plenty of time

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One interesting fact is the fact that normal spawnpoints still exist, but are taped shut, with the tarp even nailed to the ground:

nyrma7ls25i61.png

Maybe they'll only be active on some modes? Or they're only used for landing when super jumping?

I think that's where you jump if you use the Super Jump menu while dying will make you respawn via the espresso launchers. It might be bad if you could just super jump to outside the playing field when in danger, but lot of time for things to change.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
as a new game reveal?

Time to branch out a little more.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
My one hope for the game is that the GUI itself changes a little bit more before launch, even though Splatoon 2's was brilliant I'd love for 3 to be separated a bit more by changing the way it presents information to you.

GimeC

Sep 2, 2020
I'm really excited for whatever crazy salmon run replacement (or second mode even) they have cooking. The wide open desert to me indicates maybe some kind of big open world/traversal based deal. (Dare I dream...splatoon royale?)

Status
Not open for further replies.