• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smemma

Jul 10, 2020
Can't wait! Loved 2. Thought the trailer (and release date) looked suspiciously Switch Pro-ish? Gorgeous looking game....

Apr 9, 2019
Looks like they might have a more involved story mode from the get-go this time. If they also make the shooting a bit more tight and weighty compared to Splatoon 2 I'm down :) .

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I still can't believe it. Not In my wildest dreams. 3500 combined hours in Splatoon 1 & 2.

This was me basically:

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
People can be odd when it comes to Splatoon sequels. Splatoon 2 was criticised for being more of the same but came with a new hub, new campaign, new maps, new weapons, new specials, new PVE mode (one of the all time great PVE modes in my opinion) and various QOL changes. And, hello, it introduced Pearl and Marina.

The wait is long but the reveal already shows enough to warrant this being a bonafide Splatoon 3. The first game is still relatively popular on Wii U. Splatoon 2 and 3 will manage to live together on Switch because as well as all that will be gained in 3 there'll be lots that doesn't carry over.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Waiting for an updated version of this:
64198058_p08oj3x.jpg

(source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/64198058)

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the complaints about Splatoon's netcode. It seems to run fine to me.
It was (and still is) fucking horrible. Loe effective tickrate, evrything is P2P which means if disconnects occur at one end, you with perfectly stable internet, can fly from the lobby, and that combined with the Switch shitty WiFi, you often get ping spikes and warping enemies, that you can't kill, but they can kill your with 1 shot. Never had a session of onlineplay where this shit didn't happen.

oatmealdome.me

Splatoon 2's Netcode and Matchmaking: An In-Depth Look - oatmealdome.me

Splatoon 2's netcode and matchmaking has been criticized for many different reasons. Some of the common complaints are frequent disconnections, low tick rate, lag, and that the netcode uses a peer-to-peer architecture. In this blog post, I will attempt to explain how the netcode works and...

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm glad that the Splatoon fanbase are getting another game they rightfully deserve, but I probably won't get this because I find myself playing less multiplayer nowadays anyway

(I say that as someone who put a good 50-60 hours into Splatoon 2 and really enjoyed it overall)

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Pretty much every part of Splatoon is great:

Single player is fun - Especially what they did with Octo Expansions. Lots of great stuff they could do here.
Turf Wars - Painting stuff is fun!
Ranked Mode - I prefer Splat Zones, but all the modes are decent.
Salmon Run - My favorite mode overall. I hope they really go all in with Salmon Run this time and add some progression and customization, that's my biggest wish for the game.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yeesh these first few pages were rough. I get that Splatoon might be obscure but cmon haha

"think there'll be a single player?"
"Saw battle arena and lost interest"
"Hoping for an adventure spin-off"

Do people think Splatoon is just some online multiplayer only F2P shit or something?

Super pumped particularly for the new single player and Salmon Run improvements especially.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
People can be odd when it comes to Splatoon sequels. Splatoon 2 was criticised for being more of the same but came with a new hub, new campaign, new maps, new weapons, new specials, new PVE mode (one of the all time great PVE modes in my opinion) and various QOL changes. And, hello, it introduced Pearl and Marina.

Nah, 2 was justified for having a new console gen alone. Being on a technical better platform with better res and better graphics.

3 has none of that.
If anything, it could even look slightly worse than 2 if they have to reduce the res again cause the Switch is on it's last legs.

It will be fine either way, I mean we have certain MP games coming out yearly so why should this here a problem? It just feels a bit weird, but it shouldn't.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh these first few pages were rough. I get that Splatoon might be obscure but cmon haha

"think there'll be a single player?"
"Saw battle arena and lost interest"
"Hoping for an adventure spin-off"

Do people think Splatoon is just some online multiplayer only F2P shit or something?

Super pumped particularly for the new single player and Salmon Run improvements especially.
Splatoon isn't obscure. Splatoon 2 sold 11.9 million units.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Splatoon. Seeing as this is quite far off, is it still worth jumping into the sequel or is there not much of a player base there anymore?

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Please don't tell me people are getting all negative in this thread, I'm not reading through it so ignorance is bliss and I'll believe that this thread is full of joyous comments and jubilation because Splatoon mother fucking 3 is coming next year, hype!

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Splatoon isn't obscure. Splatoon 2 sold 11.9 million units.

It is obscure if you only care about single player games and live in a cave, tho.

Splatoon is fairly obscure without a doubt and you misread my post as I'm pointing out the general unfamiliarity most Era users seem to have with the series staple single player given the first few pages. One terrific 11mil entry on a 80m console does not make a franchise a notorious household name to the level of Mario, Pokémon or Last of Us even, lol, no need to reassure me though as I'm very much looking forward to Splatoon 3.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Splatoon is fairly obscure without a doubt and you misread my post as I'm pointing out the general unfamiliarity most Era users seem to have with the series staple single player given the first few pages. One terrific 11mil entry on a 80m console does not a make a franchise a notorious household name to the level of Mario or Pokémon, lol, no need to reassure me though as I'm very much looking forward to Splatoon 3.
I only comment on the ignorance that this forum shows for anything other than an RPG or an adventure / action single player games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Splatoon 3 will be a cross-gen title. It's not Nintendo's normal M.O. to release a sequel to a multiplayer-focused game on the same system. The Switch will be 5+ years old in 2022. There has only been a 5-6 year gap between most Nintendo home consoles. And a new Splatoon at the launch of a new console seems like a no-brainer.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I wonder if Splatoon 3 will be a cross-gen title. It's not Nintendo's normal M.O. to release a sequel to a multiplayer-focused game on the same system. The Switch will be 5+ years old in 2022. There has only been a 5-6 year gap between most Nintendo home consoles. And a new Splatoon at the launch of a new console seems like a no-brainer.
Last year they said they saw the Switch in the middle of its life cycle.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon is fairly obscure without a doubt and you misread my post as I'm pointing out the general unfamiliarity most Era users seem to have with the series staple single player given the first few pages. One terrific 11mil entry on a 80m console does not make a franchise a notorious household name to the level of Mario, Pokémon or Last of Us even, lol, no need to reassure me though as I'm very much looking forward to Splatoon 3.
Splatoon is not obscure lmao
I'm not questioning your interest in the franchise btw

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see Mad Max Pearl in her full glory as queen of the Splatlands atop a tank made from a giant commercial deep fryer

c94.gif

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
For the people saying "what a weird trailer"
Uuh the whole vibe and flow of the trailer is trademark splatoon weirdness haha
The octo expansion trailer had way better pacing. And the version 4 trailer is also better.
I liked the beginning... but then it kinda moved to "generic splatoon" gameplay. Not a problem, but still kind of...eh.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
11 Million on any platform is a huge success and far away from obscurity, no matter what members of an enthusiast message board are saying

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
As much as I've enjoyed the past two games, they would have to shake the formula up pretty heavily for me to be interested in yet another one.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
How is a franchise that sells more than Xenoblade, Fire emblem and Kirby together obscure?
It is huge. Its just rather new, so not that known under the "old guard", and is one of the frnachises that is unproportionaly huge on one area compared to others (Japan). 11 million... how many games can claim that in the last view years? how many entries do you need to not be "obscure"?

Status
Not open for further replies.