• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I said sequel by end 2021, the haters said no sequel until Switch 2. I'm giving myself the win on this one.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would care, but after the shitfest that was Splatoon 2 online, I'll wait for netcode analysis before I'll buy it

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Ok on the one hand, this is Splatoon and I LOVE IT, and they took a very different turn for 3 as opposed to 2 which is good.
On the other hand I'm not a fan of sequels to multiplayer games on the same console, and this potentially means Mario Kart could be a thing too which is ugh.

Still hyped about the game itself but not the implications

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so the desert is obviously the setup for the single player campaign in the style of Octo Expansion (you even have a train instead of a subway), except it's integrated into the game from the start and you travel to Inkopolis as the multiplayer hub as usual.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I knew it was 3 the second it started, obviously we are seeing the effects of chaos winning the splatfest

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
That opening half was some good-ass shit. Sure hope it was implying some expansive single-player and not just an intro section before entering the hub.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Was the start of the trailer a tease for a full on single player campaign or am I reading too much into it?

The world of Splatoon always looks like it has so much potential.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This looks fantastic, but I think it's weird that they announced a big 2022 game now. Usually they save those for their June presentation, and we don't know really anything about the second half of 2021 yet.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
why do people come into threads about games they don't care about and tell the people in the thread that they don't care about the game?

I'm 100% in for Splatoon 3. Was really surprised this wasn't Splatoon: SOS as a spin-off. I wonder how far this may have been pushed back due to COVID.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest you can put me in the hoping it was a spin-off group. Could do a lot of cool stuff with the IP if they wanted.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't understand this logic, if Splatoon 3 releases in ~mid 2022, it'll be about 5 years since Splatoon 2, which is not as long as 7 years, but still pretty long.

Between 2014 and 2022, three Splatoon games will have been released.

Only a single Mario Kart game will (likely) have been released in that time.

Sorry I'm just salty about the whole thing, but this is way off topic so I'll drop it.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Playing with a mate has got to be better this time around or can't bother. Always my biggest pet peeve. Excited otherwise

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm kinda exited for this, loves the second one.... But..... This is a weird one, that makes me literally think, why not support the second one more? It's the same platform and it's not like the other consoles like PS4 and One where games at the end of a gen look ridiculously better than at the start. You don't really have that with the Switch, they all look more or less the same over the years, it's more like that the Switch is more steaming than ever with all kind of new releases, to a point that I would even think the new one could basically look the same, but could run on less res than the last one... I'm scared of that.

Also, a sequel here doesn't look like it brings anything mind-blowing new to the table, so why does it exist?

Still a bit hyped, I really like this franchise, but it's a bit puzzling to me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
People are excited about this huh? I felt it was pretty weak to close a direct on, especially with that 2022 release date.
8DdnpnR.png

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
The SOS Save Our Salmons postcard was actually "Splatoon 3 is now in development" card!!!!!!

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I'm not gonna lie, with how the trailer started I was half expecting it to be a spin-off or something, and I was fully onboard.

But then the 3 appeared and it looked like regular Splatoon which disappointed me slightly. I am down for more Splatoon though, but the sudden thought of something different got me excited. Still though, there could easily be some unique story mode in it similar to the Octo expansion. I'm very intrigued by the desert vibe.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
Thank god, this is something I didn't expect but I am so happy that it was revealed.

I loved Splatoon 2 so much and only stopped playing because I lost my save. Looking forward to being on the train day one for this.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping it was gonna be some sort of adventure spinoff game, unfortunately not

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Any eagle-eyed Splatoon experts catch any gamplay change hints of significance in the trailer?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I don't understand this logic, if Splatoon 3 releases in ~mid 2022, it'll be about 5 years since Splatoon 2, which is not as long as 7 years, but still pretty long.
Yeah, most team shooters release yearly or close to it. The idea that this would have the same kind of cycle as a more casual local MP game like Mario Kart never made any sense to me, you want to keep the community momentum going, not let it dry up.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it returns closer to S1 pacing, and please for the love of god fix the netcode. Cautiously hyped.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah and they are obviously setting up the campaign in the first half of the trailer

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Between 2014 and 2022, three Splatoon games will have been released.

Only a single Mario Kart game will (likely) have been released in that time.

Sorry I'm just salty about the whole thing, but this is way off topic so I'll drop it.
Understandable, but considering how well MK8D has been selling compared to Splatoon 2, i doubt Nintendo is in a rush for a MK9 release. They know the selling power it has, and no doubt are saving it for their next console iteration.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
lmao people doing the same spiel of the new splatoon looking like the old one just like they did with 2 and 1 when it was a clear upgrade.

The singleplayer will likely be legendary in this game just like it was in 2, definitely looking forward to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda exited for this, loves the second one.... But..... This is a weird one, that makes me literally think, why not support the second one more? It's the same platform and it's not like the other consoles like PS4 and One where games at the end of a gen look ridiculously better than at the start. You don't really have that with the Switch, they all look more or less the same over the years, it's more like that the Switch is more steaming than ever with all kind of new releases, to a point that I would even think the new one could basically look the same, but could run on less res than the last one... I'm scared of that.

Also, a sequel here doesn't look like it brings anything mind-blowing new to the table, so why does it exist?

Still a bit hyped, I really like this franchise, but it's a bit puzzling to me.

The only reason I can see for a sequel is for major mechanical or mode changes that couldn't just be DLC, which makes me pretty excited considering the previous games were able to add fairly major features through DLC

Also the bolded...come on. Do you guys really think before typing this stuff? Like they're going to release something that could be DLC as a sequel

Yeah, Splatoon as universe has a lot of potential. So sad to have just Splatoon 3. I'm expecting same online limitations, 2 maps and competitive modes rotations, 2 min matches... Meh
You mean intentional decisions that are in no way HW limitations??

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 3 has abolished gender and I love it. Can finally be unrestricted in how my Octoling presents

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow, really surprised about this. Excited, though!

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me even more sad Chaos won the Fest, cuz I would kill to see super techno maps. But maybe there's going to be like a "civil war" motif with Chaos and Order teams still raging so there'll be maps with both themes

But I for one, welcome the return of our Inkzooka overlords

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Man the trailer looked really cool but then it turned out to be 3 and not a fun desert wondering single player spinoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.