• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
New Interview with Experience CEO Hajime Chikami on the Playstation Blog:

What was the inspiration for the Spirit Hunter series?
HC: There didn't seem to be very many horror games available in the market to begin with, and most of the ones out there seemed to be more action-based games. I thought there could be more games focused on the "J-horror" elements that are more up my alley.

Are there elements unique to Japanese horror traditions that Western audiences can look for in the Spirit Hunter games?
HC: When battling, players aren't going to be able to use physical means, like guns or other more traditional horror game weapons, to attack their enemies. The only way to handle them is to help them overcome whatever it is preventing them from moving on, rather than physically harming them. And these spirits are quite malicious and insidious in general, so that can prove to be a real challenge.

Who do you think is the scariest spirit in the Spirit Hunter series?

HC: It might be the "Screaming Author" spirit, appearance-wise. But to me, what's scarier than the literal spirits themselves would be all of the paranormal activities you experience in your own apartment.

What are your favorite games?
HC: It's from a couple years back, but I'd say my favorite recent game would be Kemco's Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P.

Lastly, do you have any final pieces of advice for people playing the Spirit Hunter series?
HC: Since the death scenes are one of the things we put a great deal of effort to, it might be fun to complete each chapter by "destroying" the spirits to see what happens. If you're not a fan of sudden surprises, I'd definitely suggest you turn off Scary Effects Mode! And if you've played Spirit Hunter: Death Mark already, you might want to try going for the bad ending… there'll be a surprise waiting for you.

Agreed about the Screaming Author, that's definitely the darkest part of NG. And cool that he mentioned Raging Loop / Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P as his favorite game in recent memory. That game will be out this month for the fist time in English and I can see many fans of the Spirit Hunter series also enjoying Raging Loop.

Feb 15, 2018
Its on Vita too? Hmm, this makes picking a bit trickier. In truth i was going to picking up Raging Loop first, and this somewhere down the line.
Any reports of performance of Vita vs Switch? I'm guessing no physical for Vita? That's a bit of a knock against it if so, due to the way the store is getting slowly suffocated by Sony. I'm concerned if my Vita conks out i wont be able to re-download it. But the Vita is just the comfiest hand held ever. Perfect weight and balance.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Its on Vita too? Hmm, this makes picking a bit trickier. In truth i was going to picking up Raging Loop first, and this somewhere down the line.
Any reports of performance of Vita vs Switch? I'm guessing no physical for Vita? That's a bit of a knock against it if so, due to the way the store is getting slowly suffocated by Sony. I'm concerned if my Vita conks out i wont be able to re-download it. But the Vita is just the comfiest hand held ever. Perfect weight and balance.

Same performance, only difference should be screen resolution.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought death mark literally two days ago and love it so far. I'll be picking this up as soon as I beat it

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Spirit Hunter: NG releases today on PS4/Switch/VITA (digital)/Steam, to scare all who dare to play ;)

Here are all the North American buy links for those that haven't seen them yet :)

Buy it physically on PS4/Switch

PS4/VITA (Digital) & PSN Avatars

Steam

And Switch (Digital)

Hope everyone enjoys!
Curious if anyone will play in the dark with the highest scare settings...

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Hope everyone enjoys!
Curious if anyone will play in the dark with the highest scare settings...
Not a problem. Not to brag or whatever, but videogames or movies don't scare me one bit. I actively seek out stuff like this, but I guess I've just watched too many horror films as a kid to even get scared these days.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Safe travels, friend! ;)

Not a problem. Not to brag or whatever, but videogames or movies don't scare me one bit. I actively seek out stuff like this, but I guess I've just watched too many horror films as a kid to even get scared these days.

Haha, your resilience is to be admired!

Regardless, playing it in optimal spooky conditions just adds to the mood and overall immersion while playing :D

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Video Review of the PC Version that also explains the settings / configuration options.
He says the controls aren't perfectly suited for mouse and keyboard, but he recommends the game and calls it a mix between Danganronpa and Corpse Party.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
More glowing reviews courtesy of RPGFan and The Switch Effect :D

RPGFan - 9/10

The Switch Effect - 4.5/5

Also, for those that haven't played the first game in the series, Spirit Hunter: Death Mark, it's currently on sale for 50% off on Steam to cross promote with Spirit Hunter: NG's 20% off launch week discount!

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark (Steam)

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the good ending. Despite being a great entry into this new franchise for Experience, I can't see how this was much better than Death Mark. I loved that game and I really enjoyed this one, but at least from my conclusion, it's just as good, but not really that much better. Still, that's a great thing in my book, one of my favorite developers making games from my favorite genre.

I really hope this is not the last Experience game Aksys gets to localize... I mean, there was a new Experience game released a few months ago just waiting for Aksys to localize it. Akselziys

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Just got the good ending. Despite being a great entry into this new franchise for Experience, I can't see how this was much better than Death Mark. I loved that game and I really enjoyed this one, but at least from my conclusion, it's just as good, but not really that much better. Still, that's a great thing in my book, one of my favorite developers making games from my favorite genre.

I really hope this is not the last Experience game Aksys gets to localize... I mean, there was a new Experience game released a few months ago just waiting for Aksys to localize it. Akselziys

Hopefully we can work on more EXPERIENCE games in the future! The staff there are good people and the games are great! :D

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Okaye donly like the first half hour yesterday, so I don't have much of an opinion on the game yet.

I do have an opinion though on problematic content. I was not particularly impressed by the game blaming a woman for being harrassed because of how she was dressed in the first 5 minutes.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The Fandom Post - C+
Spirit Hunter: NG is a mixed sequel that takes the excellent concept of Death Mark and makes a few notable changes. While the story and characters have more detail and flow better, the more "normal" settings aren't nearly as interesting or scary. It doesn't help that the formulaic nature of the game returns for a round two either.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Lifestyle - 8.5/10
NG's often disturbing, but always beautiful visuals will remain in your mind long after the end credits and every ending has been discovered. Experience's talented art team, featuring the incredible artist Fumiya Sumio, have put so much detail into their characters, environment and monster design that overshadows even its predecessors stunning visuals. However, beware… Just like Death Mark, NG's violence is frequently sexualized and voyeuristic; often depicting female characters brutalized and in various stages of undress. There is no doubt that NG is a video game for adults only.

edit:

Press Play Media - 7.4 / 10
If you enjoyed last year's Death Mark then you'll definitely want to pick this up as well – it's got everything that made that game enjoyable in terms of writing and gameplay and has some brand new ghost tales to tell.

Last edited:

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I'm enjoying this game, but seriously who proofread the notes? I'm seeing a lot of words run offscreen.

Also,
Have anyone figured out the mask puzzle in Screaming Author? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to figure out what masks go where based on the charms.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Also,
Have anyone figured out the mask puzzle in Screaming Author? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to figure out what masks go where based on the charms.
Here's a video with the solution:

I think the order is based on the story of Momotarou / Peach Boy, but I also used a guide for this one.

EDIT:

Nintendo Everything - 👍
Spirit Hunter: NG is an incredible sequel to the already phenomenal Death Mark which brought the horror and visual novel genres to new heights with its spectacular storytelling, impeccable music, and one-of-a-kind art. The way the horror carries itself through tension of dialogue, stunning backdrops, complementary and situational ambiance and score, and scares that get under your skin through fascinating imagery and well-timed unpredictable moments of terror puts NG – much like Death Mark before it – in a class of its own.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing it. The portraits are so gorgeous. I'm assuming they're digital paintings but they kinda have a bit of an oil painting feel to them, (yet almost look like 3D renders cause of the shading. ) Sometimes I stay on one dialogue box for a bit just to look at the character art.

Also, sorry kinda off-topic but what was up with the Love Hotel/Red Rainhood Girl in Death Mark? I already beat it, but didn't encounter that chapter at all. Thought it was post game, but the game just starts from the beginning once you beat it. Was it not on the Switch version?

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I played Death Mark on both PS4 and Vita. I really wish this was cross-buy.

Not sure if I'll wait until it's on sale or maybe grab this one on Steam.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Also, sorry kinda off-topic but what was up with the Love Hotel/Red Rainhood Girl in Death Mark? I already beat it, but didn't encounter that chapter at all. Thought it was post game, but the game just starts from the beginning once you beat it. Was it not on the Switch version?
That last chapter was originally released as DLC in Japan. It's more of a bonus chapter than the conclusion to the story, but it's included on disc/cart in all English versions except for the Vita release. To access that final chapter, you need to finish the main game with the good ending.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I remember absolutely no fan service in Death Mark? Have I just been desensitized by decades of it?

Oct 28, 2017
Why do I remember absolutely no fan service in Death Mark? Have I just been desensitized by decades of it?
I mean there was a section in each chapter showing an attack by each of the spirits that was demonstrated by half naked women :/
Death%2BMark_20181102142329.jpg

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there was a section in each chapter showing an attack by each of the spirits that was demonstrated by half naked women :/
Death%2BMark_20181102142329.jpg

Okay, so I do remember that one in the school, now that you've jogged my memory. But did they do it every chapter? Sheesh, that didn't leave an impression on me at all. Probably because I was trying not to crap my pants.

Oct 25, 2017
That last chapter was originally released as DLC in Japan. It's more of a bonus chapter than the conclusion to the story, but it's included on disc/cart in all English versions except for the Vita release. To access that final chapter, you need to finish the main game with the good ending.

Ah gotcha. I'm fully in NG mode now so don't think I'll go back to do a "Good Ending" run on Death Mark, but will YouTube. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so I do remember that one in the school, now that you've jogged my memory. But did they do it every chapter? Sheesh, that didn't leave an impression on me at all. Probably because I was trying not to crap my pants.
There's a couple more off the top of my head, they were just so unnecessary and took away from the horror they were supposed to be showed. Don't get me wrong, the game was still really good apart from them, I just couldn't help but roll my eyes every time they did it.
Death-Mark-Snake-Pit.jpg

Death-Mark-Shimi-O-Victim.jpg

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Thinking of picking this up, I know a lot of people here are prob fans of the game, what things would you say it does badly? And, is it actually scary or lame?

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking this up, I know a lot of people here are prob fans of the game, what things would you say it does badly? And, is it actually scary or lame?
As a fan of the series and horror in general, I think both DM and NG are some of the darker, scarier games in some time. Both games make great use of their limited but fantastic art and the sound design contributes a lot, but the scariest parts happen in your head while reading. So scary, not lame.

My nitpicks: Navigation and some of the oldschool adventure gameplay can be cumbersome but NG is an improvement over DM because it does a better job of guiding you and there's less backtracking, voice acting would be greatly appreciated but I get that that's a budget issue, the story takes a while to get going but the slow start pays off later, no touch screen support on Vita (and I believe Switch), no flowchart feels like an oversight and I personally would have preferred the game without the unnecessary "fanservice"; those moments take you out of the experience and just feel cheap. From what I've seen, there's nothing quite as bad as the images posted above by sleepless_swan in NG.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As a fan of the series and horror in general, I think both DM and NG are some of the darker, scarier games in some time. Both games make great use of their limited but fantastic art and the sound design contributes a lot, but the scariest parts happen in your head while reading. So scary, not lame.

My nitpicks: Navigation and some of the oldschool adventure gameplay can be cumbersome but NG is an improvement over DM because it does a better job of guiding you and there's less backtracking, voice acting would be greatly appreciated but I get that that's a budget issue, the story takes a while to get going but the slow start pays off later, no touch screen support on Vita (and I believe Switch), no flowchart feels like an oversight and I personally would have preferred the game without the unnecessary "fanservice"; those moments take you out of the experience and just feel cheap. From what I've seen, there's nothing quite as bad as the images posted above by sleepless_swan in NG.
Thank you, I appreciate the time you took to write that. I think... I'm gonna get it haha

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
By yours truly. Same score I gave Death Mark, because I did feel that, while the series took one step forward, it also took one step back.
Glad to read you did end up enjoying the game. Since I can't read the full review, where did you think NG fell short compared to Death Mark?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to read you did end up enjoying the game. Since I can't read the full review, where did you think NG fell short compared to Death Mark?

It could be interpreted as spoilers, so I'll just use a tag here:

Because characters stuck around, they got used to the game (and therefore the spirits), taking a bit of the tension off. While we did have brave characters in the first game, someone like Hazuki didn't allow me to feel scared or tense for her chapters.

Also, the removal of the battle aspect bummed me out, it streamlined the encounters with spirits and made them all the same.

The art is less gruesome and detailed, if you ask me. The design of the characters are a little more generic this time around and there wasn't much depth to them, although they were more connected to the story and more natural instead of people showing up at your door and then risking their lives with you the same night.

Ooe is an example of a character that had the biggest potential with a backstory to be explored, but nah, it didn't really go anywhere. Same with Amanome.

These are the points where I felt it fell short in comparison with Death Mark.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It could be interpreted as spoilers, so I'll just use a tag here:

Because characters stuck around, they got used to the game (and therefore the spirits), taking a bit of the tension off. While we did have brave characters in the first game, someone like Hazuki didn't allow me to feel scared or tense for her chapters.

Also, the removal of the battle aspect bummed me out, it streamlined the encounters with spirits and made them all the same.

The art is less gruesome and detailed, if you ask me. The design of the characters are a little more generic this time around and there wasn't much depth to them, although they were more connected to the story and more natural instead of people showing up at your door and then risking their lives with you the same night.

Ooe is an example of a character that had the biggest potential with a backstory to be explored, but nah, it didn't really go anywhere. Same with Amanome.

These are the points where I felt it fell short in comparison with Death Mark.
Interesting points, thanks for the translated version ;)

I remember you mentioned the lack of combat before as a negative. I personally liked it in DM, but didn't really miss it here. Among those first concept images for Spirit Hunter 3 was one that showed a choice screen with percentages like in a tabletop RPG. They mentioned they are currently thinking of going further into that direction with the third game, so combat might come back in some form back as well.

And I also would have liked to see more of Ooe's backstory explored, especially once you find out what happened to her family towards the end of the game.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting points, thanks for the translated version ;)

I remember you mentioned the lack of combat before as a negative. I personally liked it in DM, but didn't really miss it here. Among those first concept images for Spirit Hunter 3 was one that showed a choice screen with percentages like in a tabletop RPG. They mentioned they are currently thinking of going further into that direction with the third game, so combat might come back in some form back as well.

And I also would have liked to see more of Ooe's backstory explored, especially once you find out what happened to her family towards the end of the game.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they changed protagonists with each chapter, telling us more about their backstory. I'd have liked to know more about Ban at the middle of the game and Ooe at the end.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they changed protagonists with each chapter, telling us more about their backstory. I'd have liked to know more about Ban at the middle of the game and Ooe at the end.
That or at least an introductory chapter from each of the main characters POV might have been a good way to find out more about them. It would have been interesting to find out more about Ban's shady extortionist journalism or what happened to Ooe between those horrible events in the department store and her rise in the police force. Maybe not the best idea from a pacing standpoint for a horror game, but it could have added a bit more to the story.

Having said that, I liked how focused the main story was on Akira's quest to save Ami and I liked that Exp didn't just make a direct sequel to Death Mark with the same cast again. Curious what they'll do with the third game and how the crowdfunding approach will play into it.