• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
Count me in for a sequel, AI was an absolute delight.

INVINCIBLE RAINBOW ARROW!

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I say this with great affection for AI: I have no idea how this got greenlit if it is a sequel lmfao. I was under the impression it had a much bigger budget than other recent Uchikoshi works and didn't do that well sales wise.

Would be very on board for a sequel with better puzzles and less eye-rolling horniness.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I say this with great affection for AI: I have no idea how this got greenlit if it is a sequel lmfao. I was under the impression it had a much bigger budget than other recent Uchikoshi works and didn't do that well sales wise.

Would be very on board for a sequel with better puzzles and less eye-rolling horniness.
From what I can gleam, AI sold between 50,000-100,000 copies on Steam, not including the other platforms it released on, which is already a good amount of copies for the size, scope and type of game this is.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can gleam, AI sold between 50,000-100,000 copies on Steam, not including the other platforms it released on, which is already a good amount of copies for the size, scope and type of game this is.

Oh, that's quite a bit better than I thought actually. Wonder what the lifetime sales across all platforms were.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Wow, I would've never expected a sequel to AI. Really hoping it's good and significantly scaled back in the sex joke department.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Please! I hope this is more Uchikoshi goodness, one of my fav game devs out there right now!
I loved every bit of AI and was really active in the ARG prior to its release, made some lifelong friends there!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1. No idea what it was about - ni
2. Pigpen Cypher - rva
3. Remove letters in both words - n
4. Morse code - a
5. No idea what it was about - in
6. Binary - i
7. Couldn't figure this out but - ti
8. Figure out the missing letters that work for every word - at
9. Ceaser Shift "ERA" by 4 letters - ive
Password: nirvanainitiative

Get a timer for a couple days roughly so I'm assuming midnight somewhere in two days time.

Nice brain excercise before bed. Man I love 999 and ai. Personally I want to see how they evolve the timeline system, it's such a good mechanic.

I think the calendar one was:

The Sundays on the calendar were highlighted, the game is set in Japan, the first letter of Sunday in Japanese is "Ni". Maybe there's a better explanation, but still.

Edit: yes, there was a more logical answer for the solution to puzzle 1, see this tweet:

For 5:
7 letter word on a spectrum background =rainbow. The two highlighted letters were the answer

For 7
the clock hands point at 2 and 5 and the numbers tell you which letter of each word ("two","five") to take.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
AI was a bit too unfocused and the side stories dragged waaay too long but I liked the main plotline and most of characters.
Wonder if this is a direct sequel?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Very into the idea of an AI sequel.

I wonder how it will continue though, it seemed like a very standalone story.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Very into the idea of an AI sequel.

I wonder how it will continue though, it seemed like a very standalone story.
Uchikoshi has mentioned on twitter a few times about other people working at ABIS so probably that, there's also a few concepts from the ARG and original game that are touched but not expanded upon imo.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Uchikoshi has mentioned on twitter a few times about other people working at ABIS so probably that, there's also a few concepts from the ARG and original game that are touched but not expanded upon imo.

I always found it weird how there are five other syncers in their squad but they don't show up at all, so they could always explain that somehow.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
I always found it weird how there are five other syncers in their squad but they don't show up at all, so they could always explain that somehow.
Yeah he's talked on twitter about how they are busy doing their own thing, I've always hoped and taken that as he wanted to tell a bunch of different stories about how people use the Somniums

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
not sure if 999 tie-in or james bond tie-in

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Ohhh shittt
AI sequel????

Imagine if it's on the same level of VLR lol. Although I'm actually surprised it's even getting sequel. If I remember correctly, isn't everything solved/wrapped up? I wonder what direction they are going to take.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
still haven't played AI: The Somnium Files, I keep waiting for a sale and then I later realized that it has come on sale a few times but. I wasn't bothered enough to pick it up smhhhhh

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
We definitely don't need a follow-up to AI but if it's coming I'm sure as hell gonna play it. I'll try anything from Uchi even though he doesn't hit every single time (ZTD)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's because it's more darker/bloody and the games (specifically Zero Escape 2 and 3) dosen't exactly have an attractive artstyle/graphics compared to something like Danganronpa.

Crazy opinions when AI has Kozaki designs/art. I just bought the first game on sale over the weekend and the art was the main reason why!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Crazy opinions when AI has Kozaki designs/art. I just bought the first game on sale over the weekend and the art was the main reason why!
I was mostly referring to how Zero Escape didn't sell well. Heck, the third one got cancelled but the fan base made a petition and donated to help revive the game. It wasn't exactly worth it lol...

But AI is a huge improvement, the art was definitely better and according to this thread, it sold between 50k - 100k copies on Steam alone. I assume it sold just as well on Switch and Playstation. Probably the most successful Uchi game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was mostly referring to how Zero Escape didn't sell well. Heck, the third one got cancelled but the fan base made a petition and donated to help revive the game. It wasn't exactly worth it lol...

But AI is a huge improvement, the art was definitely better and according to this thread, it sold between 50k - 100k copies on Steam alone. I assume it sold just as well on Switch and Playstation. Probably the most successful Uchi game.

Even 999 and VLR had Kinu Nishimura art though, although I'm not sure her art has really hit the mainstream outside of Street Fighter.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, loved the vibe of AI. Glad it seems to have done well enough for a sequel :)

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Even 999 and VLR had Kinu Nishimura art though, although I'm not sure her art has really hit the mainstream outside of Street Fighter.
I think the main problem was her art (in my opinion) was horribly translated into 3D. If you look at VLR, the models are not that great, very stiff and low budget. ZTD was improved but felt very stiff and despite having better graphics, it still felt low budget. Another issue was I believe the game was rated Cero Z (Pegi 18/M) which dosen't exactly sell well in Japan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the main problem was her art (in my opinion) was horribly translated into 3D. If you look at VLR, the models are not that great, very stiff and low budget. ZTD was improved but felt very stiff and despite having better graphics, it still felt low budget. Another issue was I believe the game was rated Cero Z (Pegi 18/M) which dosen't exactly sell well in Japan.

You're not wrong.

ZTD was a different artist but yeah it looked super budget, even if it they had to downport it to 3DS.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So apparently someone found a picture of Clover? Zero Escape related or it could mean nothing?

lemonade

May 8, 2018
If this is indeed an AI sequel, I would like to see them address some of the unanswered questions.

It was quite underwhelming when the original game just glossed over the mysteries without any resolution. Almost felt cheap.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im on board with this.

But no silly action scenes and tone down the boob jokes of AI:SF please, they destroyed my immersion.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Im on board with this.

But no silly action scenes and tone down the boob jokes of AI:SF please, they destroyed my immersion.
I like Uchi as he makes really amazing stories but unfortunately if there's one thing that is consistent from him: it's the constant sex/dirty jokes. They were throughout the Zero Escape series (I'll admit, some of them made me laugh such as the wet joke in 999) but in AI, they went up by 100%. That was too much.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I just hope this isn't a Zero Escape x AI crossover. They're completely different.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Zero escape had a good enough trilogy, AI was a fresh start in a new universe with different logical rules and I feel like I'd be happier keeping it that way.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
ohhhhh my god if we're getting an AI Somnium sequel I'll scream in happiness

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that the Clover icon is just a temp image that someone used. AI is great and its better as its own thing rather than trying to cross them over, even if AI hinted at some of the same concepts but kept them at the edges.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't expect an AI sequel but man I'm excited for the prospect of one.just improve the puzzles/change everything about then and we good.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I'd say there was definitely room to expand, they had mentioned there being six other Psyncers who worked for AIBIS and
the introduction of the timeline shifting happens very close to the end of the game that it feels like it's beggining for another instalment to not feel weird or jarring.
I do see why there'd be hesitancy in a sequel, though. Though, I'd definitely be interested if we had a new protag, such as one of those Psyncers.
A completely new cast and setting to make it self-contained would be the only way to avoid screwing it up, I'd say.
It's okay, If it's anything like Zero Escape, this Ai sequel will be real good, even the best. It's the one after we'll need to worry about.
I didn't like VLR either, and will never understand what anyone ever saw in it. I wasn't being dismissive of only ZTD. In fact, I almost skipped AI because I didn't like either of those two.
Im on board with this.

The action scenes were some of the best parts.
I honestly didn't expect an AI sequel but man I'm excited for the prospect of one.just improve the puzzles/change everything about then and we good.
Can't say I would picture them changing everything about the puzzles when the whole gimmick was dream logic not making much sense and varying according to the individual (some mitigation of trial and error perhaps, but not ditching the premise entirely).

Last edited: