• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't agree with either opinion. Bethesda is definitly better than Warhorse and Spiders ... well they are okay I guess.

Jul 4, 2018
I get what you're saying, and they have nice potential, but they arent anywhere near the star-studded level of Bioware and Bethesda at their peak output

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Yeah the games are only critically and commercially acclaimed and in Skyrim's case still played heavily a decade later. Interesting use of the word bad.
Skyrim was great but that was 10 years ago and their last good game IMO. If they still have that magic they haven't shown it in 10 years...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure companies that make horribly janky games (Spiders) or companies run by alt-right scumbags (Warhorse) are really filling any gaps, I'm afraid.

Like I know Bethesda games are janky as hell and they often release almost comically busted, but they're still a full tier above AA Euro-RPGs.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
When was the last single player Elder Scrolls game? Fallout is more of a shooter than RPG if we are being honest but even there their last game was an online version.

And it has been three years since Kingdom Come, with little news on what their next game will be. I love the game, but I think it's a given that games of that quality require time, and moreso the larger in scale it is. If Warhorse can churn out games as big as Skyrim every 5 years, hey, I'm all for it. But we've seen what happens to game studios who try to tackle a big, ambitious, open world RPG from the ground up before. *cough* CDPR *cough*

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Oh, so now we're hating Bethesda? I wonder if something happened to them that could make some people dislike their games now...

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, with how much of a shit-heel the founder of Warhouse is, I'm surprised Kingdom Come Deliverance isn't a band game.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I'm not sure companies that make horribly janky games (Spiders) or companies run by alt-right scumbags (Warhorse) are really filling any gaps, I'm afraid.

Like I know Bethesda games are janky as hell and they often release almost comically busted, but they're still a full tier above AA Euro-RPGs.

There was no jank in Greedfall. It had a lower budget than Bioware games sure but the writing is way better so who cares? The first Dragon Age was a far jankier game than Greedfall.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Come was an interesting experiment, but in the end I did not finish it because it still had poor quest design just on a much smaller scale.
I actually finished both technomancer and greedfall, but these games are nowhere near bioware, even bottom tier bioware, as much as I enjoy the casual jank.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Loved Greedfall. If Spiders could actually build on that foundation they would easily usurp Bioware for me, Bioware hasn't made a game I've loved since DAO. But Bioware is also the only one that makes those "party" type RPGs, so they'll always have their niche the same way Bethesda does open world so much differently than everyone else.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed Greedfall but it would be a bottom tier Bioware game and KCD isnt actually all that much like a Bethesda game

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Loved Greedfall. If Spiders could actually build on that foundation they would easily usurp Bioware for me, Bioware hasn't made a game I've loved since DAO. But Bioware is also the only one that makes those "party" type RPGs, so they'll always have their niche the same way Bethesda does open world so much differently than everyone else.
Greedfall is a "Party RPG." Or did you not play all of your companion's side quests? Some are hidden and you have to talk to a certain person unmarked on the map to advance them.
The writing in Greedfall is not way better than Bioware, lol.
Agree to disagree. Bioware writing is "creative middle school student" at best.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There was no jank in Greedfall. It had a lower budget than Bioware games sure but the writing is way better so who cares? The first Dragon Age was a far jankier game than Greedfall.

Every single nation's governor had the exact same mansion. Like exactly the same building. Not even a different room layout - literally the same exact building. M De Courcillon's weird magic science office is even in all three faction HQs even though Courcillon himself is only in the New Serene one. It felt really, transparently clunky on a level I did not expect to see.

I also don't think the writing is all that great. Like it isn't horrible but it wasn't that compelling either.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Ok is it me or did Bethedsa hate get pretty bad lately.
Don't get me wrong I get because of Fallout 76 and to some aspects 4 as well but that's more on my personal tastes.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Starfield up to now.

Anyways Greedfall is decent and reminds me of the older Bioware output a bit but I still don't put them anywhere near being on par with Bethedsa's games.
Warhorse I'm not too sure on as I've never played any of their games.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said not familiar with that but if you played the game and especially the excellent DLC the game itself has a great respect towards women. If one guy is gamer gate it doesn't show in the final product.

Even ignoring the fact that he's the co-owner and lets say it was a random person in the dev team.
It was well known he was a gamergate pos. Since he wasn't fired it's pretty clear what the stance of the company is.
Warhorse sucks.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Jank was Greedfall's primary characteristic, what are you talking about? I loved the game (and Technomancer before it) but it's janky as all hell and feels like something Bioware might have made between KOTOR and Jade Empire. In a few more games they might be up to late 2000s Bioware quality but they ain't there yet.

Warhorse is a non-starter. Bethesda has its problems and delays but at least it's not headed up by a piece of shit gamergater.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The first sidequest I did in Greedfall involved trying to prove that a guy selling miracle cures was a fraud and the only option to do so was to demand he try it himself in front of his potential customers, even though there was nothing to suggest the stuff he was selling was actively harmful instead of just sugar water or something. When he takes a bottle out of his pocket to drink and my character called him out on there being no proof it's the same as what he's selling, my only option was to go behind his shop and steal a bottle that I then presented to him in front of his potential customers... with no proof it was the same as what he was selling. It was total nonsense and although nothing else in my time with the game was that bad again, it still set the general tone.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I enjoyed Greedfall but Spiders has a long way to go to reach Bioware levels, at least at their prime.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Did not care for Greedfall. Will not be playing Kingdom Come and have little interest.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there will be gaps to fill on non-Xbox platforms. I welcome the competition.. See how that works?

Neither of these studios are filling the gap left by Bethesda (or Bioware, for that matter, as I expect them to be shut down within the next 3-4 years) and expecting them to be able to is setting the bar impossibly high.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do know about the questionable background of the Warhorse lead dev but well .. Kingdom Come was the best actual RPG game I've played in at least a decade or so.

Still torn on how to handle my appreciation for the game and the disdain for the developer. That guy definitely didn't do the game and the artists that worked on it a favor by being a pathetic idiot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Comparing Warhorse to Bethesda is just nonsense lol.

I like Spiders but they arent anywhere close to Bioware and never will be.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Comparing Warhorse to Bethesda is just nonsense lol.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were, like, cultural events. They were inescapable. "An arrow to the knee," etc. Nothing Warhorse has done has ever reached anywhere near the same level of relevance. They're arguably most famous for being led by an alt-right guy and not wanting brown people in their game because they wanted to portray "historically accurate" medieval Europe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm fully capable of acknowledging that Bethesda games often launch busted (I played Skyrim on the fucking PS3, for god's sake), but even IN their busted-ass state, the level of content that's on offer in those games is basically unmatchable. They're literal event games, on a level that you really only see once or twice a generation at most.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were, like, cultural events. They were inescapable. "An arrow to the knee," etc. Nothing Warhorse has done has ever reached anywhere near the same level of relevance. They're arguably most famous for being led by an alt-right guy and not wanting brown people in their game because they wanted to portray "historically accurate" medieval Europe.

Yup.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The jank is strong in the OP.

That said, I did really enjoy both games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am still waiting for Piranha to show their next game. As far as I know they have been quiet since Elex and I want to see the next game now.

I wonder if their next game won't have every single fucking thing in the game world instakill you for the first 15+ hours of gameplay or if they still consider that a feature and not a design flaw.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if their next game won't have every single fucking thing in the game world instakill you for the first 15+ hours of gameplay or if they still consider that a feature and not a design flaw.

I hope not. Being a weak little pissant and clawing your way up is one of the things I like best about their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.