• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Were your Spidey senses tingling this week?

If so, it might be because it looks like more Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse may be coming to a small screen near you soon!

Fresh off its Golden Globe Award win for Best Animated Picture and all the critical reverie that attended its theatrical release, Sony Pictures is reportedly considering stretching the film's web to cover the television scene next.

A recent New York Times article (via ScreenRant) detailed the studio's plans to capitalize on what last bit of Marvel property rights the studio has within the Spider-Man universe, and they're eager to make more Miles Morales action happen.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/spider...7c26&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't. They can't keep up the quality of the colors and animation that made the film special.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen a studio so quick and shamelessly to milk anything remotely successful. It's like anytime a Spiderman movie shows promise they already have spinoffs, other media ideas, multiple sequels and toy lines all lined up

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't. They can't keep up the quality of the colors and animation that made the film special.
giphy.gif

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a studio so quick and shamelessly to milk anything remotely successful. It's like anytime a Spiderman movie shows promise they already have spinoffs, other media ideas, multiple sequels and toy lines all lined up
yeahhhh jeez

i mean i like spider-verse a lot and i would like something to follow up on that but sony gotta chill the fuck out

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
The last great Spider-Man series (Spectacular Spider-Man) was when Sony had the reigns. But Disney has those rights on lockdown now.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this.

Last I read, they don't hold the rights for any TV adaptation.
LOL that is was what I was wondering, that is why Spectacular was canceled, cause Sony gave back the rights and Disney wanted to start fresh

I assume that they probably negotiating the deal with Disney since they do have a good relationship, but eh Sony kinda needs Disney/Marvel more than Disney/Marvel needs Spider-Man in the MCU.

That's Sony for you, throw pie on the wall to see what sticks and then milk it for all its worth.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus sony, you made one amazing movie make a movie at a time. We dont need a TV show when you already have 2 other movies in production.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'd have to wonder if there's room for negotiation in a case like this. Sony gets to do a TV series of this popular movie using their patent (pending?) art style and Marvel can maybe get the merchandising money?

Oct 31, 2017
Fox didn't own the TV rights to X-Men and they were able to get a deal to get Legion and Gifted done. What will Sony give up to be able to get a deal with Disney done?

Nope Sony only has film rights, they could release 30 minute eps in theaters every week I imagine that would be a way around it

45 mins+. IIRC that's what was in the contract.

I'd have to wonder if there's room for negotiation in a case like this. Sony gets to do a TV series of this popular movie using their patent (pending?) art style and Marvel can maybe get the merchandising money?

Marvel already gets all the merchandise money.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They're going to completely destroy what they just started to build with the financial success of Venom and critical success of Spider-Verse.

(I have to make sure to differentiate due to how terrible Venom is.)

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I can't see a TV series being successful unless they bring in someone like a Greg Weisman.
I wonder what he could do with a Spider-Man serial.

Oh right! Now I remember.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine Disney and Sony are in talks over a animated series if this is the case. If this were to come to fruition I have to wonder what the TV series would look like considering how long and how much effort was needed to make Into the Spider-Verse look so damn good.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're going to completely destroy what they just started to build with the financial success of Venom and critical success of Spider-Verse.

(I have to make sure to differentiate due to how terrible Venom is.)
Yeah, good thing you put that in I'm sure people aren't tired of the nonstop Venom hate on this forum.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the animation will be way worse, but if they can keep the quality storytelling, then could be great

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Leave it to Sony to mess something up like this.

Oct 31, 2017

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Miles is already on the current Disney Spider Man show. His name is "Kid Arachnid" cause he can't be Spider Man cause Peter is the main character and is already Spider Man.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
If Marvel are going to angle for anything it'll be a more permanent place for Spidey in the MCU.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
180MM plus paying a BE of up to 35MM per theatrical release for 25% of merchandise rights is not really dirt cheap IMO. Fair value.

It's dirt cheap in the long run when you consider that Spider-Man merchandise rake in the profit. All Sony has is the box office and pray hope that their movies doesn't bomb whereas Disney doesn't have that problem.

Miles is already on the current Disney Spider Man show. His name is "Kid Arachnid" cause he can't be Spider Man cause Peter is the main character and is already Spider Man.

Oh so that's why I kept seeing toys of him with that title, I thought it was Marvel trying to rebrand him like how Spider-Gwen is now Ghost Spider.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine Disney and Sony are in talks over a animated series if this is the case. If this were to come to fruition I have to wonder what the TV series would look like considering how long and how much effort was needed to make Into the Spider-Verse look so damn good.
It's actually a fantastic trade to use Sony's desire to do a Spider-Verse TV show for an extension on MCU Spider-Man for Marvel.

Oct 31, 2017
If Marvel are going to angle for anything it'll be a more permanent place for Spidey in the MCU.

As I mentioned Marvel/Disney already get all the merchandise money for any SM related merch, including anything from pictures and tv. Anything can happen, but I still wonder if all that Disney got from Fox for Legion and Gifted were money. If that's the case, Disney will certainly be open to being overpaid to license it to Sony and Sony won't have to give up more of Spidey.

It's dirt cheap in the long run when you consider that Spider-Man merchandise rake in the profit. All Sony has is the box office and pray hope that their movies doesn't bomb whereas Disney doesn't have that problem.

Long term, yeah. I was thinking short term. Your point is especially true now that the 2015 deal lowered the BE fee that Disney has to pay Sony.

It's actually a fantastic trade to use Sony's desire to do a Spider-Verse TV show for an extension on MCU Spider-Man for Marvel.

I'm guessing if Disney was going to do a deal like that, they would want an expiration date on the contract, or at the very least significantly loosen Sony's grip on the movie license. There's not a lot to them to just extend the deal on an as is basis.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. If they want a series, then make a series of films and keep them relatively infrequent so they get the time they need in the oven and for refinement. Into The Spider-Verse was a huge surprise because I think a lot of people just expected it to be a cash-in... it would be a shame to see it devolve into just being a cash-in.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Do some of you just like to immediately jump on the Sony hate wagon? I am sure someone at Sony would go "no shit" to all the comments regarding Disney owning the tv rights...maybe open up to the idea that if Sony are talking about doing these tv spinoffs that maybe they are negotiating with Disney or already did? Marvel did promote this movie on its social media channels( something that they totally avoided for venom) and it is possible maybe they negotiated with Sony for tv series or maybe it is coming to the disney streaming service.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, good thing you put that in I'm sure people aren't tired of the nonstop Venom hate on this forum.

When a god awful film ends up making $1b at the box office, it'll be a hot topic of discussion.

(But also, they were both successes in very different ways so I think it was important to explain what I meant by that. Spider-Verse is not the massive hit people were thinking/hoping for.)

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the film but I have no interest in low budget TV animation. But if they find a way to keep the quality intact, I'm down.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Or just, bring back Spectacular Spider-Man

All Sony has is the box office and pray hope that their movies doesn't bomb whereas Disney doesn't have that problem.

Spider-Man movies have never bombed, ASM2 came the closest but even that made a profit eventually

Fox didn't own the TV rights to X-Men and they were able to get a deal to get Legion and Gifted done. What will Sony give up to be able to get a deal with Disney done?

Extending the MCU deal and keeping Holland out of the Venom-verse would satisfy Marvel

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When a god awful film ends up making $1b at the box office, it'll be a hot topic of discussion.

(But also, they were both successes in very different ways so I think it was important to explain what I meant by that. Spider-Verse is not the massive hit people were thinking/hoping for.)
Venom is a very enjoyable film.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why the negativity? The only good spidey cartoon was the sony one

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone remember that cgi spiderman cartoon that ended with him retiring, wtf