• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spider-man's Webbed Pits

• Yay

Votes: 137 42.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 184 57.3%

• Total voters

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Spider-man has one of the best costumes of all time. Rare is the superhero costume so good that you can practically use it unchanged from the first issue to the modern era and it still holds up.

But one thing that always comes and goes is the underarm webbing. It was there at the beginning.
oywXS03.jpg

I don't see it often in modern Spider-man comics or media portrayals though.
spidey-header.png

Most live-action incarnations forego it entirely, though Homecoming gave homage to it. I don't think a single game has used it, to my immediate knowledge.
1*bzMBmukyEonrEAvml8vHwQ.png

It seems to ebb and flow with artist preference. By and large, it's typically not there consistently, but I've always had a fondness for it that gives Spider-man a more interesting silhouette than just a generic male body.
ESRSqXKUUAAkq3R.jpg

Some have claimed it's too goofy or out of place. I've enjoyed it, but I open up the floor to the audience.

Spider-man's webbed pits. For? Or Against?
c7a0d8cdd14b.png

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Its fine when it's aesthetic. Whenever they make it like a pseudo wingsuit like in homecoming or whatever, it's just lame. Gliding Spider-Man doesn't work, period.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It was an aesthetic feature in Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro on PS1. Apart from that, eh, like I didn't mind it in Far From Home but Spider-Man gliding is just something that doesn't sit well with me since he shouldn't be in situations where he has to glide.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was an aesthetic feature in Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro on PS1. Apart from that, eh, like I didn't mind it in Far From Home but Spider-Man gliding is just something that doesn't sit well with me since he shouldn't be in situations where he has to glide.
I always appreciated it as a helpful backup whenever he inevitably runs out of web-fluid, which always happens in the stories at the worst possible moment.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Real spiders fly by making web sails and riding electromagnetic waves. He should do that.

Some also glide with their legs

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I like them more as an aesthetic rather than them being a tool, and less is more for sure..I think the Spectacular Spider-Man show did them nicely.

sInrAVgvFrwRFkf-800x450-noPad.jpg

edit - I think they are neat as more of a 'rudder' than a glider, if that makes sense

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely 100% in favor and anyone in disagreement is dead wrong

though I like them more when they're depicted larger and connected further down on the arm, rather than the tiny little pit webs some artists draw them like
when they do that it just makes it look like creepy armpit hair, and they have fucked it up
gotta do it from the waist to around the elbow like the OG comic suit or homecoming/farfromhome

YES
Nr3C7OI.jpg

YES
YCAysqD.jpg

NO
LtYAoUpl.jpg

ALSO NO
kl8Pchxl.jpg

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nay. They fuck up the silhouette and are messy and distracting looking.

They feel like a weird gimmick that's only slightly more plausible and reasonable than stuff like the Spider-Mobile or Spider-Signal. Given how powerful his web slinging is they come off as pointless in almost every situation.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
Yes to web pits.

Spider experts: When did the blue part of his costume actually become blue? I always thought it was a venom thing in that the blue was only there to give an impression of highlights to his musculature. Or has my life been a lie and Venom was always meant to be blue too?

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Hate them with a passion. Spider-man doesn't need web pit hair.

Why would a kid making a costume put webs under his arms?

Why would an adult making a costume put webs under his arms?

No one needs webs under their arms.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely 100% in favor and anyone in disagreement is dead wrong

though I like them more when they're depicted larger and connected further down on the arm, rather than the tiny little pit webs some artists draw them like
when they do that it just makes it look like creepy armpit hair, and they have fucked it up
gotta do it from the waist to around the elbow like the OG comic suit or homecoming/farfromhome

YES
Nr3C7OI.jpg

YES
YCAysqD.jpg

NO
LtYAoUpl.jpg

ALSO NO
kl8Pchxl.jpg
The perfect post on this topic

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It makes him look like he's a dirty hobo that doesn't clean his shit.