• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the save data you had on Spiderman PS4 would even carry over to remastered.

It's possible it's a completely new SKU.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Ehhhh I'd wait for something a bit more concrete than this before we start raising the pitchforks.
I feel like they would've already said something if they had good news to share. They already confirmed Miles Morales PS4 -> PS5 upgrade is free. Then Insomniac has been answering questions on twitter since the reveal but they've ignored all the ones asking about this topic.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Aren't most people offering free upgrades of their PS4 titles on PS5 if you own it? Not a great look. I love this game but don't know if I want to buy it and the DLC all over again.

Nov 14, 2017
So if I buy the PS5 version of this game digitally do I also own the PS4 version? Or is it only if I buy the PS4 version do I have both the PS4 and PS5 versions?

Also do we know if it's cross-save compatible?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Not for 180 of bad policies.

They 180 their policy for 24 hour check in, with how you owned your games ect.

They axed that in like a span of a couple days.

The stuff sony needs to clear up are updates to existing owners of games like spiderman, last of us part 2, ghost. And maybe if enough people speak up they change prices of games.

Thats all they need to change outside of their non BC attitude. BC is an added bonus when it comes to PS1,PS2,ps3. But prices, and update to PS5 version of games you already own is the bigger stuff.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
They can simple patch the upgrades for PS4 base game owners, like Ray Tracing, textures etc. The DLC the do not need to give for free on the update.

Sure, but that's a completely different thing. You're talking about a performance/texture patch for a backwards compatible PS4 game, where most of the discussion is around getting the PS5 remaster, which is essentially an upgrade of the GOTY edition, which includes all the DLC. I think it would be awesome if they put out a BC patch for all base owners, but I don't think they should just give us the remaster. That doesn't make any sense when I never paid for the DLC.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aren't most people offering free upgrades of their PS4 titles on PS5 if you own it? Not a great look. I love this game but don't know if I want to buy it and the DLC all over again.
The whole thing is a consumer punch in the face.

A piece of glorified DLC being sold at 85% of the original game's price and then forcing already established purchasers of the original to pay that price plus $20 to essentially unlock ray tracing and some texture packs.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Because if you were Sony PR, you'd just wait to clarify until right when it comes out, and then let it get drowned out with all the other PS5 news.
I feel like they would've already said something if they had good news to share. They already confirmed Miles Morales PS4 -> PS5 upgrade is free. Then Insomniac has been answering questions on twitter since the reveal but they've ignored all the ones asking about this topic.
Fair. I'm sure they are well aware of the issue and hopefully things get cleared up soon.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That still doesn't make any sense. If you agree that the remastered base game is a cost component of Miles Ultimate, and that cost component therefore justifies the remastering, then why should it be free elsewhere?

Did Control get remastered?

...because existing owners already have the base content, and there's precedent for first party studios to provide next gen updates for free to existing owners of recent games?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Not for 180 of bad policies.

They 180 their policy for 24 hour check in, with how you owned your games ect.

They axed that in like a span of a couple days.

The stuff sony needs to clear up are updates to existing owners of games like spiderman, last of us part 2, ghost. And maybe if enough people speak up they change prices of games.

Thats all they need to change outside of their non BC attitude. BC is an added bonus when it comes to PS1,PS2,ps3. But prices, and update to PS5 version of games you already own is the bigger stuff.

Oh ok that makes more sense. That stuff also had a much bigger impact because it was so radical and unheard of. This isn't, and I don't think it likely has a meaningful impact.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): antagonising other members, history of hosility and prior related infractions
Imagine the sense of entitlement when you want free work on a 2 year old purchase

🤣😂🤣😂😂😂😂😂
Imagine the sense of embarrassment being a shill for a corporation that only sees you as an addict with a dealer complex that they want to exploit and extract as much money from as possible.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Imagine the sense of entitlement when you want free work on a 2 year old purchase

🤣😂🤣😂😂😂😂😂

Well, after price gouging their customers with higher game prices and the need to buy PS5 controllers for playing PS5 Games while those games also release on the PS4 news like that definitely leave a bad aftertaste to the whole PS5 rollout so far.

can´t shake the feeling that there will be some more bad news till release.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
...because existing owners already have the base content, and there's precedent for first party studios to provide next gen updates for free to existing owners of recent games?

They're calling this a remaster, not a next gen update. Whether that's a distinction without a difference in this case, we will find out.

I can't think of any Sony precedence here?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not 100% convinced. But since Insomniac/Sony still haven't said anything, it's not looking good. It just doesn't makes sense they offer the free upgrade for Miles but not SM.

Nov 21, 2017
USA
Ok so literally the only physical games I have that I want to carry forward that haven't been covered by PS+ or this new PS collection are Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Last of Us Part 2. Selling off all of my games and I'll just rebuy those on a deep sale.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
They are if you want the Spiderman you already own with it. It also is a standalone expansion. It's Like lost legacy, they said it themselves.

What? You can pre-order Spider-Man for £52 with shopto. It's like lost legacy in scope, meaning it's not as big as Spider-Man and not as small as an expansion. Similar to what Lost Legacy was to Uncharted 4.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
Imagine the sense of embarrassment being a shill for a corporation that only sees you as an addict with a dealer complex that they want to exploit and extract as much money from as possible.

Well, after price gouging their customers with higher game prices and the need to buy PS5 controllers for playing PS5 Games while those games also release on the PS4 news like that definitely leave a bad aftertaste to the whole PS5 rollout so far.

Don't feed the troll

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they've spent substantial developement time on the PS5 version, I can see why they would charge for it.

Jun 23, 2019
The whole thing is a consumer punch in the face.

A piece of glorified DLC being sold at 85% of the original game's price and then forcing already established purchasers of the original to pay that price plus $20 to essentially unlock ray tracing and some texture packs.

Glorified DLC? Paying $20 to unlock RT and texture packs? Yeah, it's super clear you have no clue what you are talking about.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
So basically they are increasing the price from 40 to 60, and also charge you for a 'remaster' that should actually be a free patch if you already own the content?

It's gonna be another gen of 'remasters'

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
Sorry, but can someone explain what a next-gen upgrade entails?

They're not remastering the game or anything it would just be better resolution and frame rate? You can still play spider man on PS5 through backwards compatibility (though I only own the disc so I guess I can't get the digital PS5 to play it)

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
Comparisons to Microsoft miss the point. It's not pro-consumer, it's their business model. They have almost no new games to launch—same as XBX—so they doubled down on back compatibility. They did a bang up job, but their goal is to get you to buy the console and pay for game pass.

Sony picks major IP and offers compelling upgrades for a fee. Free is nicer, but both are doing business.

The only good guy here is CDPR, but they have a ton of money.
So Microsoft would charge for smart delivery of Xbox One games if they had a better launch lineup of Series X is what you're saying. I can't even.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
How can you tell? I'm getting the game Day One but I've got no expectation of it being anything more than a more condensed version of Spider-Man PS4 using most of the same assets/game systems; the same thing as Lost Legacy, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, etc. That's literally what the demo showed, and it's what the discounted price implies.

New characters, abilities, animations, updated models & assets, new set pieces and cinematics. I'm not denying this is shorter than Spider-Man 2018, but this isn't an expansion. It's a standalone game, it's a continuation of the story. Just like Spider-Man 2 will be.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glorified DLC? Paying $20 to unlock RT and texture packs? Yeah, it's super clear you have no clue what you are talking about.
See the link about this game being compared to Lost Legacy BY THE DEVELOPERS!

And yes, 20 dollars for ray tracing and texture packs. That is what you are getting, sorry if you can't wrap your head around a soulless corporation trying to extract every dime they can from a captured consumer base.

And people that have some self awareness and control would prefer people take a stand but people like you are simply quick to rationalize their preferred brands gouging as morally justified because of perverse, bizarre, corporate fanboysim

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the expectation for games that came out 2+ years ago to have free next gen upgrades. I understand the desire for it of course, but realistically it's not an idea I'd even entertain for games that came out beyond that last six months at an absolute maximum.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

They're not remastering the game or anything it would just be better resolution and frame rate? You can still play spider man on PS5 through backwards compatibility (though I only own the disc so I guess I can't get the digital PS5 to play it)

An article talked of "overhauled visuals", maybe updated models?

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if i have the PS4 Spiderman i can play that on PS5 but not the upgraded version?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

From what they've told us, the remaster includes Ray Tracing, 60FPS mode, upgraded models (from Miles), increased resolution, increased draw distance (+ more pedestrians / cars in the streets) and more photo mode options. Base game is still playable via BC, but it will be basically the Pro version at 30FPS still.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I'm confused but does the ps5 not come with a controller? Whats the issue here?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
See the link about this game being compared to Lost Legacy BY THE DEVELOPERS!

Did you actually play The Lost Legacy?
If you had you would know it was a proper game and hardly shorter than the first Uncharteds. They also never called TLL an "expansion". They called it a standalone game.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
What? You can pre-order Spider-Man for £52 with shopto. It's like lost legacy in scope, meaning it's not as big as Spider-Man and not as small as an expansion. Similar to what Lost Legacy was to Uncharted 4.
£10 more expensive than TLOU2 for a stand-alone expansion.
giphy.gif

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Any news on Ghost of Tsushima upgrade? I just bought the PS4 version to play on the PS5 since my 4 died before release. I also got Cyberpunk PS4 as CDPR already announced a free upgrade as they're not scum sucking assholes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Maybe I'm confused but does the ps5 not come with a controller? Whats the issue here?

That you have to buy a second one just to play PS5 games? for example when you want to have a pad for a second player or one fully charged pad on the charging cradle so you can continue playing when one controller is out of juice.

they want you to buy a second PS5 controller to play Sackboy with another person but on PS4 you can play the game with the Dualshock 4 and justify it with "Dual Sense features" when they could just enable PS4 controller support on PS5 games.

Plum

May 31, 2018
New characters, abilities, animations, updated models & assets, new set pieces and cinematics. I'm not denying this is shorter than Spider-Man 2018, but this isn't an expansion. It's a standalone game, it's a continuation of the story. Just like Spider-Man 2 will be.

All of those things were in all of the three games I listed, so what makes Spider-Man: Miles Morales any different?

A standalone expansion is literally just a standalone, smaller game that uses a base game as its foundation whilst adding on to it in various ways. There's nothing inherently bad or good about them. The only issue with Miles Morales in particular is that its relative value is a fair bit lower compared to current-gen and non-£70 RRP next-gen games; but that's because the RRP for next-gen is £70 instead of last-gen's £50 so Miles Morales' 'budget price' is automatically higher.