• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Today's issue of Weekly Famitsu included an interesting special that prompted 128 Japanese developers and industry professionals to vote their favorite games of 2018.

After that, each game was given points according to the votes provided by each developer, and a full ranking was compiled, with some definitely interesting results.

Below you can read the full list. Do keep in mind that you'll find a few games that weren't released in 2018. Developers are very busy, so they may end up playing a game late. Others simply keep playing the same game well beyond the first year as it takes them longer to clear it.

1. Marvel's Spider-Man
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Detroit: Become Human
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. God of War
  6. Octopath Traveler
  7. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  8. Fortnite
  9. Conan Exiles
  10. Splatoon 2
  11. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
  12. Dead by Daylight
  13. Fate/Grand Order
  14. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  15. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  16. Cities: Skylines
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  18. Dragon Quest Rivals
  19. Dungeon Maker
  20. Kyoutou Kotoba RPG Kotodaman
  21. Zanki Zero: Last Beginning
  22. Super Mario Party
  23. Border Break
  24. Teku-Teku Teku-Teku
  25. NieR Automata
  26. Assassin's Creed Origins
  27. Clash Royale
  28. Dead Cells
  29. FarCry 5
  30. Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle

More in the link

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan needs to play more indies (or indies need to release more games in Japan, I dunno which)

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that Detroit ranked so high! I didn't even think Sony would bother with a Japanese localization.

Also....Conan Exiles? Is that Conan the Barbarian or Conan the Detective?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Conan Exile being on the list is super interesting

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Astro Bot is my GotY, but Spidey is right behind it at a close No. 2. I'm one of those people who put Spidey above GoW, so I aggree with the Japanese developers here.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
SF 30th Anniversary Collection is too low. Smash Ultimate gets rightfully praised for being a tribute to the whole series. SF 30th did it for $20 cheaper AND had decent online.

Oct 27, 2017
A little surprised to see Monster Hunter: World at 2, I would have expected it to take the top spot but I guess developers couldn't deny the greatness of Spider-Man haha

Oct 31, 2017
Japanese players giving disproportionately more attention to PS4 games isn't exactly that shocking (developers or not).
If anything I'm far more surprised at Conan Exiles and Cities Skylines making it so high into the list.
especially since the first isn't even that good.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Japan's love for Spider-Man knows no bounds.
I'll never forget how they saved the Spider-Man reveal in MVC3 for TGS because of it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's great !! Congrats Insomniac.

It's funny because Swery said the game was boring, he dropped it pretty quickly lol. But he seems to love RDR2, he even play RDR Online.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Spider-Man sold like nuts in Japan. It was impossible to find a boxed copy for like a week and a half after release.

I agree with the list for the most part. Rad!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Now that I think back to it Detroit definitely feels (as in, I cannot explain this with evidence as it's not that defined) a lot like a "Japanese" game in terms of how it portrays and shapes its story; I can see how the developers of Japanese titles would like it. Doesn't change my opinion of the game one bit lol.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Spider-Man is honestly one of my favourite games in recent memory. Absolutely deserved and grats to Insomniac.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Good variety of games, though lacking in indie titles. Still, I like what I see!

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I am surprised that Detroit ranked so high! I didn't even think Sony would bother with a Japanese localization.

Do you seriously think a JAPANESE PUBLISHER AND PLATFORM HOLDER would not bother to localize their own game for the japanese market?
It's like saying Square Enix don't bother to localize Tomb Raider for Japan.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool! I sometimes forget how popular Spider-Man is in Japan, but remember what a trip it was seeing him in Revenge of Shinobi.