• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro:
9iu68cdf7m85ca1zg.jpg

PS5:
84axpc7n6of42nxzg.jpg

jstevenson any news on wether the low polygon suit model bug during gameplay was fixed? :)

Did the same face mocap data really have this much of a difference? Like was he actually making a face like in the Remastered version and it looked like that in the original? Or is this redone capture?

Face bones redeemed.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
That 60fps mode, may have to replay this before diving into DS/SMMM. I'll never understand why someone would want a little more shiny over minimum 60fps.

so-beautiful.gif

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Did the same face mocap data really have this much of a difference? Like was he actually making a face like in the Remastered version and it looked like that in the original? Or is this redone capture?

Face bones redeemed.
No redone capture, this is the more accurate original representation of the original one.
They spoke about how it was a problem to match up Yuri's performance with the old face, that's the reason of the change.

NEXT GEN CHEEK BONES

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That the PS4 version doesn't get a patch to unlock the framerate is some bullshit. No way around it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
No redone capture, this is the more accurate original representation of the original one.
They spoke about how it was a problem to match up Yuri's performance with the old face, that's the reason of the change.

NEXT GEN CHEEK BONES

That's wild. It's like someone trying emote through a thick rubber Halloween mask on in comparison.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
You see this is a case where the developers have lost sight of the intended tone of that scene. The contrast with the lighting between the near and far side of the room is representative of the internal strife Spider-Man feels in his life because of his relationship with MJ. This new lighting by comparison feels too optimistic, evocative of the shallow Marvel Cinematic Universe films rather than the gritty Insomniac Spider-Man. It's just not for me - I feel sorry for those that will experience this rather than the classic version of the game because, while still superficially Spider-Man, it's not my Spider-Man.

lmfao did not expect to see this comment. Well done

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Face bones redeemed.
Yeah cuz look at all those wrinkles etc. lmao. Totally different emotion

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good Lord, this video is just a sad confirmation that my eyes just do not pick up on the difference between 30 and 60 fps if the two aren't literally side by side.

Which I'm not pressed about (I'm glad I can enjoy higher fidelity games without feeling like I'm missing something vital), it's just weird that I can't see it. And kinda wack I can't experience something people seem to enjoy a lot.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Time for some crow? Where is the crowd wanting this for free? No demanding it...
The audacity of people thinking they would half ass this lmao.
Good Lord, this video is just a sad confirmation that my eyes just do not pick up on the difference between 30 and 60 fps if the two aren't literally side by side.

Which I'm not pressed about (I'm glad I can enjoy higher fidelity games without feeling like I'm missing something vital), it's just weird that I can't see it. And kinda wack I can't experience something people seem to enjoy a lot.
60 FPS is smoother. But I dont really care about it give me all the 30 goodness.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The audacity of people thinking they would half ass this lmao.

60 FPS is smoother. But I dont really care about it give me all the 30 goodness.

I know what it's supposed to do, my eyes just can't pick up on it.

I can only tell if you put them side by side, and even then, I'm trusting the labels in the video to distinguish between the two lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I know what it's supposed to do, my eyes just can't pick up on it.

I can only tell if you put them side by side, and even then, I'm trusting the labels in the video to distinguish between the two lol
I should have said "supposed to be" like I see it, but its honestly such a weird effect for my eyes too lol

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but is Ray Tracing mostly reflections?

If so, it's cool I guess, but I don't understand why so many people are crazy about it.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Better lighting is really going to be the thing that signifies next-gen. Crazy what a difference it makes.

I won't lie I prefer the PS4 to the PS5 in this shot, I think the lightening in the ps4 version makes it pop more.

One thing to keep in mind is it's totally possible these screens look different on an HDR display. They could be optimized for it, even. If that's the case, there's no way to tell how things like contrast, or luminosity play a role until we see it on a proper set. The lighting in the updated screens looks more accurate and subdued to me, but I'm also viewing them on my standard monitor.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This remaster is insane. They totally retextured and remodeled even the smallest thing.
PS4 :
2020-11-10_18_19_36-Spider-Man_PS4_-_Opening_Cutscene_-_YouTube.png

PS5 :
2020-11-10_18_19_57-MARVELS_SPIDER-MAN_REMASTERED_PS5_4K_Gameplay_-_Opening_25_Minutes_-_YouTube.png

If someone had told me that the second picture was not a render but a photo, I'd have believed them. The sumptuous detailing especially as it pertains to the new textures but most importantly to the lighting and SSR which casts umbran and penumbra shadows of varying intensity around the curvatures makes his fingers look utterly real. Like.. holy shit!

Oh and it does not hurt that the PS5 finally has enough power in surplus to render those fine teriyaki chow mein.

PS: Still miffed about there not being any way to upgrade the PS4 edition (which, despite how good it looks, I do not believe I can digitally unwrap and play for the first time now that I have witnessed the level of upgrade) into a standalone PS5 remaster.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

NEXT GEN CHEEK BONES
I really can't help but think it had more to do with Marvel dropping the hammer and wanting something closer to Holland to keep everything on-brand, but it looks alright either way.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but is Ray Tracing mostly reflections?

If so, it's cool I guess, but I don't understand why so many people are crazy about it.
I mean its how light interacts with an object. So its impacts everything.
I really can't help but think it had more to do with Marvel dropping the hammer and wanting something closer to Holland to keep everything on-brand, but it looks alright either way.
Can we not with all the conspiracy theories? Insomniac told us why they made the change in-order to future proof Yuri's performance and we're seeing the results.

Last edited:

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Already have the ultimate edition on pre-order. Never doubted that it would be worth the extra money. The upgrades in the textures and details is incredible.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that fidelity mode should aim to 4K 30FPS with RT and performance mode should go for 1080p 60fps with RT.
I don't know if it's possible, but for me RT is way better than 4K for performance.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
If someone had told me that the second picture was not a render but a photo, I'd have believed them. The sumptuous detailing especially as it pertains to the new textures but most importantly to the lighting and SSR which casts umbran and penumbra shadows of varying intensity around the curvatures makes his fingers look utterly real. Like.. holy shit!

Oh and it does not hurt that the PS5 finally has enough power in surplus to render those fine teriyaki chow mein.

PS: Still miffed about there not being any way to upgrade the PS4 edition (which, despite how good it looks, I do not believe I can digitally unwrap and play for the first time now that I have witnessed the level of upgrade) into a standalone PS5 remaster.
The only question that remains: Did they upgrade the chunky polygon squirrels? That's the real test.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Second playthrough confirmed once that cross gen save transfer is patched in. This looks so nice.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, after seeing this, I just need to play through this game once or twice to get over the face change. The old model is starting to look more and more out of place now.

Now I wonder how Mary Jane is gonna look.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So, I'm one of the few who never got around to playing Spider-man PS4. Now I have to decide whether I want to play Miles Morales first or the Remaster lol.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone point out to me what I should be looking for to notice the impact of the ray tracing specifically? I'm a bit of a dullard when it comes to this stuff

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Even in a game with so many glass skyscrapers like this, it somehow doesn't come super-obviously across that RT is used when you're just whizzing by playing the game. When you land on a glass and look around, then yes, it's clear as day, but I think that existing cubemap+SSR techniques are doing an admirable job given how cheap they are. I hope that RT gets used for lighting more instead, because it seems that it's just really expensive for what it gives in terms of reflections.
I also wonder why didn't they in 60FPS mode just do a planar reflection of spiderman by rendering him flipped from the other side of the glass when you approach any glass surface. That couldn't bee too expensive on a machine like PS5, and it would add a lot. I've seen this done in TLOU2 with whole rooms in some parts of the game, and that's on PS4.

Could someone point out to me what I should be looking for to notice the impact of the ray tracing specifically? I'm a bit of a dullard when it comes to this stuff
In the very beginning of the video, you can see whole surrounding reflected in the glass of the building, including spidey, and cars on the street, people which are not visible outside of the reflection etc. Now fast forward to 4:30 of the video, and see what it looks like with the non-rt reflection in the same scenario.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Play the Remaster first for story purpose.
REMASTER first.

Contrary to the buttposts here. Miles is pretty much a sequel to the first game. Major events happen in the first game that continue to the story of the second.

Thanks. Seeing how ray-tracing and enhanced lighting really benefit the fidelity of Spider-Man, I'm really bummed out that consoles/RDNA2 don't have a true DLSS analogue (especially with dedicated tensor cores to handle the reconstruction). DLSS on the PC has allowed for high-frame rate gaming, with RT effects enabled, at high resolutions.

Anyway, I would love for Insomniac to partner with an outlet like Digital Foundry to go over all the challenges they had to overcome to bring RT to Spider-Man, while also explaining the benefits, and where they see the future of RT going on console.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie I prefer the PS4 to the PS5 in this shot, I think the lightening in the ps4 version makes it pop more.
I'm feeling that way about several of the comparisons. Like, I get redoing the lighting to be more "accurate," but obviously artistic choices were made in the first version and they look really good as overal scenes in terms of contrast and color dynamics. I don't see what's necessarily awesome about having more accuracy if it's gonna just result in more grey tones. The game literally had a warmer look before. Which must have been an intentional choice, right?

So as not to be too negative, 60fps is incredible and of course the game's fidelity is astounding now. I just kind of don't like the idea that the old version is being overwritten in a way.